Day 7: 12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M.

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jan 19, 2009 on FOX

• The DC detour

First, Emerson has to kidnap the Matobos from their panic room. Since Jack wants to kidnap them for noble, country-saving reasons, this situation makes for some real ironic hilarity (and I believe I used the word "ironic" correctly there). Their solution to get the panic room open seems to rely a bit too much on luck, but whatever; it works and does so suspensefully.
    Second, Renee arrives only to get captured and taken with the Matobos. As she spends most of the episode staring "evil" Jack in the face, with Jack unable to tell her the truth, the tension in Emerson's van is way better than in Eddie Grant's van from S2. Plus, with Renee kidnapped, the Office mole makes him/herself useful and helps Emerson out from the shadows.
    Taylor decides not to give in to Dubaku, officially establishing her as a strong character and President. Some people may use double standards and accuse her of letting PMS or something get in the way of serving the US, but not I! I'd only say such things about a non-fictional female President.
    But the other Taylor still has the more interesting storyline for now. As Henry looks further into the government conspiracy, a betrayal—which I really should have seen coming—puts both his and Samantha's lives in danger.
    While this episode is filler for Jack, it's pretty great filler. For everyone else, it's pretty great period.
    No, that wasn't another PMS reference.

Hourly Highlight:
    Ghostly female vocals? A haunting POV shot? A silent clock? Well, it's not like Renee's really dead after only five episodes…right?