Day 7: 8:00 A.M. - 9:00 A.M.

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jan 11, 2009 on FOX

• Excellent reboot of a series that had gotten stale

Excellent reboot of a series that had gotten stale and was starting to repeat itself, and not in a good way.

New city. New surroundings. New office.

Old crew. (That's good, not bad)
  • Day 7: 8:00 A.M. - 9:00 A.M.

For all my problems with the show, structurally and philosophically, I get a kick out of the action, and the heightened character drama;and there is something to be said for the awesomely absurd plotting the writers make use of to ensure each season lasts the full running time. Since Day One, we've had some terrific villains, as well as some top-notch supporting players; for all the tedious time wasted on Kim Bauer, 24 gave us the ever-caustic Chloe, who ranks in my mind as one of the best tech-support personnel on TV.
    And then there's Jack himself. Once I got a McFarlane Toys "action figure" of Bauer in his most familiar pose: two-hand gun draw, satchel slung over one shoulder, getting ready to ruin some bad guy's day. Looking at the toy now—it's sitting on top of my cable box—it occurs to me that the main reason I dig 24 is that at heart it's a super-hero show. Sure, it obeys semi-realistic conventions, and Jack has no readily acknowledged powers, but c'mon; he's got a regular outfit, he can do things nobody else can, and in the end, he always wins, even while his personal life turns into utter crap. As played by Keifer Sutherland, Jack is the ultimate proof of the Hitchcock maxim: you love a guy who's good at his job. Only Bauer goes beyond good to be damn near unstoppable—and instead of making the series fall over its own ridiculousness, each new evidence of Jack's constancy makes you root for him all the more.
    Still, times are tough, even for super-heroes; the open of Day Seven, after a mid-day kidnapping of a dad-in-glasses, has Jack before a Senate subcommittee prepared to answer questions on his choices during his time with CTU. Jack's forgone a lawyer, and the questioning goes about as you'd expect, with the Senator being all pissy, and Jack defending himself in a speech that sounds suspiciously like something Jack Nicholson might've said in A Few Good Men, minus the yelling. Jack accuses Smith of using the investigation to further his political career, but we aren't given a chance to assess this one way or the other before the committee is interrupted by a pair of FBI agents looking to take Jack into custody. The session adjourns, with Smith announcing Jack will be called back to the stand tomorrow at the same time—and there's a neat moment here when you realize exactly how this season is going to end.
    We've already been through the torture discussion, but it's worth noting that for the first time in the course of the show, the writers are directly addressing the concerns Jack's actions have raised. Instead of being a one-off moment to mock an overly-moribund government, the Senate hearing actually looks to be an indicator of a major theme of Day Seven. Multiple times over the course of the premiere, various characters will talk about the things Jack's done, either to condemn him or show their support. 24 has never been particularly self-aware, but these first two hours are surprisingly direct. From what we see, I don't doubt that Jack will be proven right in his decision to torture certain suspects; but the mere fact that it's being addressed at all is fascinating, and bodes well for what's to come.
    You know what else bodes well? Tony freakin' Almeida. After apparently dying in Day Five, he's back, and, by all appearance, he seems to have changed sides. Jack gets pulled into the FBI offices because the dad-in-glasses who got kidnapped in the opening scene is Michael Latham, the man responsible for, apparently, all of the Homeland Security computer infrastructure, and the FBIers, among them cute-as-a-hard-nosed-button Renee Walker, think Tony and his team are behind the kidnapping. While Jack does his best to wrap his head around a.) his friend's return from the dead and b.) his not-dead friend turning into a terrorist, we see Almeida and his band of misfit toys beat Latham into building the season's first magical MacGuffin, a device that lets people hack into that afore mentioned infrastructure and do all sorts of nutty things.
    A word about the FBI office: cool as CTU was, having the new team of good guys working out of a place with low ceilings, cubicles, and actual carpet, gives the things a different vibe. Combine this with the scenes inside the White House and a situation room that could've stepped out of The West Wing, and you have what amounts to a whole new style for the series, eschewing obviously unreal sets for something a lot less intentionally dramatic. Which makes for a very cool contrast when you throw Jack Bauer into the scene—it's a little like The Searchers, with a man who did his best for his country and his people suddenly finding himself left behind by the society he'd dedicated his life to protecting.
    In addition to Agent Walker, we meet a handful of other FBI folks: there's Janis, the harried assistant, Sean, the latest in a long line of tact-deficient computer geeks, and head guy Larry Moss, who gets what might be the premiere's best line when he pisses Jack off. I expect over the upcoming weeks these guys will be infighting and going behind each other's backs as we've come to expect, but for right now, everyone is pretty calm. Even Larry, with his obvious feelings for Renee, isn't a jerk about it.

24 would be nothing without its side-running storylines, and so far we've been introduced to two. Of prominent importance are the newly-elected President Allison Talyor struggles to bring America troops into Africa to stop the genocide of General Juma and his army. By the end of the two hours, we find out that one of Juma's trusted men—a guy presumed dead after 24: Redemption—is behind Tony's actions, which means we can expect some political shouting matches in the day ahead. And for the pre-requisite "personal" conflict, there's First Man Henry Taylor and his frantic quest to discover the real truth behind his son's apparent suicide. Of all the potential plots we've been introduced to, this one has the most potential for pain; but even that potential is pretty slight, given Colm Feore's essentially coolness.
    By the end of the two-episode premiere, we've got Jack on the case, and Tony in custody. I'm a little disappointed at how fast Almeida got captured, but the few brief exchanges we get between him and Jack—just the eye contact alone—were freakin' awesome. The danger is still out there, regardless; we've already seen that the MacGuffin can pull a Die Hard 2 on a major airport, and while this first time out, no lives were lost, it's definitely not the sort of device you want falling into the hands of someone with a grudge against the U.S. of A. The question for tomorrow is, how far has Tony sunk? And can a little carefully applied Jack-rage snap him out of his dead-wife blues?
    After the disappointing Day Six, and a nearly two year hiatus, 24 Day 7 has a lot to prove, but I'd say things are off to an excellent start. By putting Jack in an unfamiliar environment, the writers have given the entire show a different vibe, one that connects to earlier seasons without being slavishly committed to recreating them; and by addressing the more challenging aspects of Jack's character directly, they've raised the stakes in an unexpected and potentially rewarding way.
  • And on the seventh day…sh** continued to happen

We pick up however long it's been after "Redemption" and—CRASH! KIDNAP! SKI MASKS!
    Despite Michael Latham's abduction, this feels more like the earlier premieres, featuring a formal upfront briefing about terrorists going after the United States' CIP firewall. But this time, we're in Washington DC, and the FBI will be playing the role of the shut-down CTU. And Tony Almeida's alive. …yeah. But evil. …cool. Anyway, this premiere doesn't feel as HUGE as the last three, but that's fine. Starting at a relatively calm pace is no crime.
    While Tony uses Latham to breach the firewall, the Senate grills Jack Bauer over all the torture he's done. This addressing of torture will be a recurring theme throughout S7, and a pretty well-handled one. Good gravy, the writers actually benefit from ditching the on-the-fly method? [/sarcasm]
    The Senate part doesn't last long, as Agent Renee Walker (cue cartoony hearts floating around my head) brings him into the FBI's Washington Field Office to help find Tony. Unlike CTU, this place looks like a normal office, with its cubicles and fluorescent lighting. A welcome change, I say. Here we meet some other principal characters: geeky Janis Gold, creepy Sean Hillinger, and by-the-books Director Larry Moss. And when I say "principal," I'm kinda humoring the first two.
    Allison Taylor's been busy, as the US is about to invade Sangala to dethrone Benjamin Juma. And her husband Henry has his own subplot regarding the truth behind his son Roger's "suicide." Thanks to "Redemption," we know that all of this is connected, and I'm glad that mapping out this entire day in advance has given us a small puzzle to piece together.
    Things start rolling as Tony hacks into Air Traffic Control and Jack questions a suspect, though loyal fans may very well see the ending to the latter coming. Still, my curiosity regarding the finished puzzle has been sparked, and that's enough to keep me watching. Plus, we know Jon Voight's gonna show up later, let's not beat around that.

Hourly Highlight:
    Renee kicking Ari's ass. Oh, what? I'll never find love; Annie Wersching in action is all I got! That and X-rated movies, but…

• Incredible start, built up without deaths or terrible shocks, just with a fine plot taken to excelent and even original ways never done before!.

After past season, i was looking for this season of 24, in order to see if the show managed to get back its touch or if it was completely lost. The prologue "Redemption" gave me hope... but this first episode is awesome. The best 24 is really back by now, and i hope that it will continue during the rest of the season.
    This time Jack Bauer works for FBI, no longer CTU.
    Tony is alive... and is the bad guy, surprisingly ingenious.
    And the tension, adiction, quality and suspense are back... perfect for me!.
    This premiere deserves much more credit than it already has!.
    10/10
  • Totally reinvention of Jack Bauer in the seventh season start!

After the huge disappointing that the whole last season was, all the fans and all the general viewers was expecting a brand new day, with a remarkable improvement in the plot, the characters and the action. Also we was expecting new things that we haven't seen before. And this seventh season is the answer for all my complains.

This beginning is really addictive and truly perfect. Much better that you could expect. The writers have found a very great plot and very good ways to explain it. Also the acting and all the new characters are really superb and perfectly acceptable. The action is wonderful and in the level of season five, and Kiefer Sutherland continues improving his Jack Bauer like ever!.

Four years and a half after the events from sixth day (and Redemption), Jack Bauer is on his own due to the CTU is no longer and he is on trial for the violence that he did in the past, when a brand new enemy rises, forcing him to help the FBI in a brand new day.

In a sense, is reboot, because Bauer is on a great new place: Washington D.C. and with a lot of new things, and also because of all the things that this season presents.

I really love this season beginning. You won't be disappointing.
  • Pressure building and a surprise ending if you did not see the trailer for season 7

This was a great way to start a new season, it all feels fresh and having seen the rest of the season it continues with the fresh take on the old 24 even though people said it repeated itself (which it didn't). it starts with a couple of bangs with a well executed and unexpected car crash a minute in to grab your attention straight away. Good start for Renee who just gets better and better as the season progresses and a nice introduction to the other main characters. The whole episode was building up and up with the plane taking off, the terrorist run by Tony taking over air traffic control, the glitch in the system being noticed by the FBI and Jack and Renee's interrogation of a man from Jack's past. The ending was a surprise and even after a second viewing I still manages to gasp in shock even though i knew what was coming. The well known 24 background music was there adding to the tension and a nice cliffhanger to bring us to the next episode at the end. All in all a brilliant start to a brilliant season up in the top four seasons of the show as a whole
  • This season premiere starts with interesting multiple plots, even if this episode is not spectacular, it show that the producers are capable to deliver interesting episodes and this season can have the potential to be very good.

Presentation Phase - » (20/20). Great, Great presentation, very simply done, good effects in the beginning, Jack being Judge and a old character that made his way back, perfect.

About the new characters, they were well presented, the most interesting character is Renee Walker. Also President Allison Taylor is becoming interesting, it is something new and since David Palmer, I think she will be a nice replacement, since she is David Palmer in Feminine version.

Complication Phase - » (20/20). A old character is now the main villain for this season or at least, the writers want you to think that way. Now Jack is involved both physically and emotionally. President Taylor have her own problem too, and her husband is motive to prove that his son's recent suicide was in fact a murder. But the main problem is the worse ever seen in 24.

Time and Scene Management - » (16/20). There are some filler scenes like when the device wasn´t working properly or Henry Taylor negotiation, the only doubt I have if Henry Taylor desire to prove is son´s murder is a filler or something necessary for the plot.

Plot Details/Holes- » (16/20). It makes some sense the fact that Tony is alive, since he´s dead was strange, but there is a certain hole in why he is alive and not dead that have to be filled. Aside that, all things are normal for now.

Surprises/Shocks/Twists - » (10/10). New president, Jack being judge, but don´t expect more than that, expect to be surprise with Tony sudden resurrection.

Suspense/Tension - » (7/10). The tension was built through 4 plots, but they are all in the initial stage.

What I liked -» Renee Walker, President Allison Taylor, all Jack scenes and Tony of course.

What I Didn´t Liked -» The filler scenes.

• A nice start to start the season.

day seven 8:00am-9:00am was a good episode, introducing new characters, finally CTU is gone.Time for a new season.Jack Bauer is in court for human rights of toture and human rights vandalism but is excused by FBI agent Renee Walker to tell him about Tony Almeida. A famous dead character comes back to life to be in the 7th season of 24, how exciting! Now we spend twenty minutes of introducing new characters of the bureau, the white house, and what Tony[ now the bad dude] will do with the CIP firewall, and he chooses to cross path planes to danger. Then the FBI finds a lead on a man who might be involved with the location on Tony Almeida, until he is shot before he tells Jack where the location of tony.

A semi-intense episode, a good way to start a season.
  • So it's all change in the high-adrenalin, hyper-tense world of television's greatest superhuman.

So it's all change in the high-adrenalin, hyper-tense world of television's greatest superhuman: CTU's gone kaput, the White House staff has had a complete overhaul including, shock, the culling of Peter MacNicol (hah! You thought I was going to mention the President of the female variety, didn't you? Well clearly, you didn't read the Redemption review. Get to it!), Tony Almeida's turned into a facial-hair sporting, overly stern gazing terrorist bad ass and poor Jack Bauer's caught up in a ludicrously right wing perception of a human rights violation trial. Which, well, despite my distaste at the completely one-sided depiction of it all, does give Kiefer Sutherland some rather nifty dialogue and is a somewhat refreshing change for the show. What a shame the FBI wander in and subpoena him, eh? I could watch 24 hours of Kiefer's soliloquies. Still, it all goes a bit pear-shaped once Bauer is, in his words, 'activated' (do you suppose someone presses a big red button on his back?!) and he has to set about thwarting Almeida's dastardly plans to take hold of the US' essential systems including, it seems, air traffic control. This particular threat is far more effective at raising the horror levels than the suitcase nukes and gas cannisters of seasons past as, really, it couldn't get much worse than planes falling out of the skies, heating, lighting and electricity being shut down and the water supply getting all contaminated.

The build-up of the threat to the plane is executed especially well - kudos to the writers and, notably, to Sean Callery whose thumping underscore keeps a fast pulse rate certain. This is actually true of the episode as a whole: everything moves along at just the right pace, taking time to set up new characters and scenarios but simultaneously ensuring that there is sufficient tense dramatic weight to stoke the viewer's interest. It's nice to see the crew thinking outside of the box and delivering some genuine surprises: while I'm sure there are thousands of Almeida fans up in arms about his 'turn', at least the move feels fresh and is actually convincingly depicted by the ever dependable Carlos Bernard. The female President, Alison Taylor, is also a welcome change of pace and it's good to see that the events of Redemption tie directly into the thread of the season-long narrative... but they killed the son! My God! I was sure that handsome young model was set to break female, and gay hearts worldwide for a good 24 episodes. A solid, enjoyable start then and certainly a massive improvement from where we were at the end of year six. And it's got John Billingsley in it! It must be good!
  • 24 returns to form....

Ok so here is where we stand. In 2001, 24 sparked somewhat of a phnomenon. While it wasnt an instant ratings giant, it did revolutionize political crime dramas. Over the past six years it has continued to revamp its methods, and its writing, so that every season is unique of each other. With most TV dramas, each season is merely a continuation of the same. The same cast, the same basic story lines, and while a couple new twists and hooks will be introduced to draw people in nothing new really happens. With 24, however, it is completely different. Each season is like a new version of the show, rather than just another season. Season 1 started it off. Season 2 kicked it into high gear. Season 3 took a few more risks, some worked and some didnt. Season 4 brought the series back to glory. Season 5 was pure perfection, incorporating everything that worked from the previous 4 seasons into one monster season. Then came Season 6. While Season 6 was still innovative and exciting, the freshness that we had come to expect year in and year out seemed to be dampening. The characters that we had all come to love were disappearing and replaced with a supporting cast that did not garner any new affection. This led to Season 6 being somewhat of a downward turn. Then came the writers strike and it hit 24 harder than any other show on TV. It took a year away from the airing of Season 7. But it did force the writers to take the show in a completely new, and more realistic, direction. So they scrapped CTU, relocated to DC, elected the nation's first female President, and brought Tony Almeida back from the dead. The result? Gold. Only 24 can do all of that seemingly non-sensical "stuff" and turn it into a thrill ride. The Season 7 opener features a somber, mellow Jack Bauer. Taking into account his mistakes. Unlike previous seasons, where it takes a little while until the first episode really gets under way, this one goes for gut right away. Literally ten minutes into the episode, Jack is hooked in. The difference between 6 and 7 is the supporting cast. Instead of retreading CTU with new people, the show's writers have gotten rid of CTU alltogether and replaced it with the FBI. This gives the show a sense of reality that it hasn't had in any of its previous seasons. These FBI agents are sleek, sophisticated, and fresh. Another area in which the show works better than its predecessor is the President. Actress Cherry Jones brings President Allison Taylor to life before our eyes in every scene she is in. Jones makes Taylor a compassionate, yet tight fisted warrior. This isnt Wayne Palmer. who merely whispered lines for dramatic affect all of last season. She is more like David Palmer than any President who has come after him. And then there's Tony. The writers really did have some explaining to do. And Tony's presence, while not really all that credible (to be honesty), brings the show back to the old days. After all, if you watch 24 you're pretty much throwing the belief that "this could actually happen" right out the window. Even if this season does seem to be on that track. Tony's return is impossible yet it works because he is such a beloved character. And to be fair, his "death" in season 5 wasnt all too straightforward. It wasnt as if he was shot or blew up in an explosion. So Tony being in this season, especially as a villain, turns out to be a sight for sore eyes. Lets face the facts, we missed him last season. So...in conclusion...24 Season 7 gets off to a phenomenal start. Time will tell if this season gets 24 back to the days of Season 4 and Season 5. You can't judge anything going by the first episode. But what you can say, is that the show is definitely taken in a new direction. It feels different. And different for this show usually results in very good things.
  • season 7 begins

as far as seasons premier in 24 goes they are usually very very good and i am glad to say this was no exception .
    jack on trial was great and it was good to see him justify his acts and of course the watcher cant help but to be on jacks side, now to the main plot a terrorist group that is possibly involved with sangala have taken control of the c.i.p firewall that protects every major infraestructure in the us, and a very living tony almeida is behind it so now jack is working with the feds and the kick@$$ agent rene walker is working with him
    p.s: i really liked the political side of the episode and i have the feeling that president taylor is gonna be a great character
  • The seventh season begins with CTU now disbanded and Jack Bauer testifying before a senate committe who is accusing him of torture. However, a crisis begins to unfold and the FBI soon comes calling to Jack for help.

The seventh day is off to a good start. In his first scene Kiefer Sutherland shows that he still at the top of his game as "24" enters its seventh season. This episode certainly has a lot to deliver given the multiple storylines, but it does so in a way that makes it easy to follow and keeps the viewer hooked for the duration of the episode. Colm Feore is very effective as the new president's husband. He looks to be a welcome edition to "24" this season. Having Carlos Bernard back doesn't hurt either. Day seven started off right.
  • Jack is back...

Day 7 starts in a courtroom; they were discussing the behaviour of CTU in the field of duty. Jack admitted torturing someone in order to protect a bus-load of children from a bomb; suddenly he was whisked off by FBI agent Renee Walker who needed him immediately to sort it out. A bunch of hackers have breach through the national security firewalls which meant they could access everything air traffic control, electricity basically the whole running of a country. To Jack's surprise, one of the men behind the threat is his old pal Tony Almeida; he was surprised to say the least.
  • its back

at last after nearly 2 years the best series on tv is back, and with a bang. day 7 starts just about as per usual for jack. jack is up before a senate comm for ctu crimes against humanity and apperently fighting for his life. there is mayhem in the city with a kidnapping, the new woman president has her hands full with whats is happening in sengala. but as with 24 things are about to go down hill. jack is commendered by the fbi. when he is filled in we then have the 1st major surprise when jack finds out that tony is still alive, and he has become in the eyes of the feds the main bad guy. so starts the hunt, and the next plot revalations. tony and his team show what they could be capable of when they cause a near miss with 2 planes. then surprise surprise what we thought was going to be more domestic terror turns out to be lead and financed by sengala trying to get revenge for what jack had done in the mini series redemption. and we already have a mole in the fbi judt to round things off. 2 hrs old and we already set for the usual 24 roller coaster ride. its great to have it back
  • Jack is back and is on the hunt for a home grown terrorist group led by former CTU agent Tony Almeida.

After a while away from our screens (with the exception of Redemption) 24 is back and it is going for a new look. Now CTU has been disbanded and a US senator has set up a hearing for the those who participated in illegal activities conducted at CTU. Needless to say that Jack Bauer is in the firing line and seems doomed to face a criminal trial.

All is stopped in its tracks though when Jack is braught in by the FBI to locate the leader of a homegrown terrorist cell who have made several major technology heists. The leader is none other than presumed dead former CTU agent Tony Almeida. Jack at first is unconvinced that Tony is a terrorist and thinks that he must have a reason f what he is doing. All the same he helps the FBI to try and track Tony down.

Meanwhile the White House has a new president who is acting on the plot left for us from Redemption by planning to take america to war with the dictator from redemption. The first female president is having a few issues behind the scenes as well with her grieving husband putting all things on hold to find the truth about his son's death.

The change of location is a nice idea by the producers who obviously felt that the 6th season felt a little stale. It's too early to call whether this season will reach the heights of seasons 4 and 5 but I must admit that the signs are looking good. Can't wait to see some of the regular characters reappear for old times sake.
  • A capable start to the seventh season

After the sixth season, a number of fans were disappointed in the direction taken by the writers. In truth, many had been disappointed for quite some time. Bombast and shock value are rarely a good substitute for tight planning and careful preparation. Supposedly the producers, in light of critical lambasting after the sixth season and the writers' strike, decided to take a different approach this season, working out the direction and arc of the story beforehand. That's a good move, because this season is important to the overall saga of Jack Bauer. For better or worse, Jack has lost almost everything over the past several years. As the season begins, there's no CTU, no Audrey, no support staff, and the full weight of a smug Senate subcommittee on his shoulders. Freshly in the States after his self-imposed exile and the prelude "Redemption", Jack seems resigned to what he has coming to him. In this political climate, there's no question that someone like Jack Bauer would be questioned for his tactics and decisions. The use of torture in counter-terrorism is a hot topic of late. Jack makes all the necessary arguments in his short but sweet responses. While it's absolutely correct for the general American populace to question his actions and declare them unacceptable, he was doing the job that he was assigned to do. He cannot regret being successful at that job, because in the end, thousands (if not millions) were saved as a result. If the eventual cost is his own freedom, or even his own soul, then he's willing to pay it. Which means that the season is very likely going to be what it always needed to be: the beginning of the restoration of Jack Bauer. Jack began as a man in balance, and the years have stripped all of that away. The world wants to pretend that it doesn't need a Jack Bauer anymore. Already, it's abundantly clear that this is not the case, and one can see how this season (and however many remain) will deliver the proof. Just by the end of the first hour, it's obvious that someone with Jack's unique attitude and skill set has a place in the dirty world of counter-terrorism. As such, the typical FBI characters have already emerged. Agent Moss doesn't believe in "loose cannons" like Jack Bauer, and wants him on a short leash. Agent Walker, played by a gorgeous Annie Wersching, is a field agent with a more pragmatic attitude: unleash Jack with reasonable limits to accomplish the mission. (Those limits should stretch pretty quickly.) Janeane Gerofalo plays a pseudo-Chloe in the FBI office, and there's an annoying tech named Sean. And there's at least one mole in the FBI working with the terrorists, because that's always a "24" trope. In an interesting (if too publicized) move, Tony Almeida is a senior member of the terrorist organization, which is trying to break through a firewall that protects most of the major government networked systems. This particular gambit involves a plane, and the writers play that to the hilt (note the constant shots of the little kid). There's some hint that Tony is acting out against the government because of Michelle's death at the hands of President Logan's hit squad in the fifth season. Back at the White House, President Taylor is dealing with the problems explored in "Redemption". Her son is dead, presumably at the hands of the villains working with General Juma, but everyone except Mr. Taylor thinks it was a suicide. One can assume that his investigations will slowly but surely expose the complicated truth behind the scheme in Sangala, which will inevitably connect to Tony's terrorism. (And, in turn, one can speculate that all of those connections will show President Taylor, and many others, the value of an organization like CTU and a man like Jack Bauer.)
  • Season 7 is finally here!

I'm telling you all this, I've waited over a year for season 7 of 24 and I'm saying right now that it was worth the wait. This season takes place after 24: Redemption and sticks to the story started in that movie. I'm not sure about anyone else but I think it's going to take some getting used to with no CTU around. The FBI works just fine, for now. Seeing Jack back in action was just so exciting. Having Tony back was also great. He was one of the best characters. But they'll need to have a good explanation as to how he's still alive. At first I didn't like the new president but through the episode she really iimpressed me. She's a heck of a lot better than Wayne Palmer. Great start, can't wait for more.
  • wow! it's so nice to see 24 back in full force!

JACK'S BACK and better than ever! Finally a new episode of 24 and this season has one of the best starts of any season of 24 to date. Jacks just as amazing as ever plus he's got an attractive sidekick now! Also, tony is back and dangerous. Tony has proved to the FBI and the government that they are now in control of everything and that they will have to be dealt with. ALthough i honestly dislike the initial idea of tony not only being alive still but also being the villain but i must admit, it seems like an amazing fit! I'm glad that 24 is back and im glad that its just as stellar as it use to be!
  • Great start for day 7...

Wow.. It was long waited but finally it is here - day 7.

I most say I liked the way story started - action from the first minute with the car accident and then when Jack is get out of the court to the field office and they show in Tony's picture.. that was a shocking moment..

And the whole thing what he is doing - I have no idea why he needs that plain but I totally think it adds an excitement..

And if that is not enough then the situation Jack and that new agent.. (oh need some time to get all the names) got. They were shot.. someone knew where they were.. that's sounds fascinating.

And then things on White House.. not that they got little wrong on Africa case.. Rwanda was not the last main killing.. In 2007, UN esitameted 400 000 people killed in Darfur.. that is twice as they said in their country in this episode..

And the whole murder case of President's son.. sounds interesting.
  • Solid start to season seven.

This episode marks the end of CTU and a change of location. Good. The series feels a lot fresher now, though I do miss the L.A. sun. There's action at the very beginning before we move to Jack facing the senate in a hearing over his actions at his previous job at CTU.

I should talk about the new cast. Renee Walker is an excellent female lead, and smashes Audrey Raines. Larry Moss, the FBI lead agent is good. I have slight problems with the other two (Janis and Sean) but they are only slight. The president and her staff are all exceptional. Of course, the return of Tony is excellent, and I'm glad he's back, and now opposite Jack.

This season premiere is different to the latest ones, since the action has substantially slowed. Jack did not get a single kill, but that's fine. I think it's good that they've slowed the plot a little, which is comparable to the earlier seasons.

A good start to a hopefully great season.
  • A optomistic change of venue not all it cut out to be.

Overall, disappointing. The premiere of season 7 was not bad, but it did not live up to the standard set by 6 amazing seasons. 24 is my favorite show on tv but something is missing. By moving the show to D.C., an idea I originally believed would be an interesting change, I believe now that it lost something. Something as simple as the color in the car driving down the street being too gray can make you think of any other show with a male and female leading an investigation. Suddenly, it's just another show. There were part, as in the opening at the Senate, in which the location is very cool but other parts, like the FBI office, take away from the unique grttiness of the 24 we all love. Going from a hardened concrete bunker to... cubicles, is not the right move. Be it the lack of returning characters, but the supporting acting around Bauer seem weak. Agent Reece is a fine enough actress but the chemistry between, something that if they are to work together, is integral, seems wrong, fake. The "techies" at the office, always vitally important to show the contrast, are bland. Tertiary characters, even the crew at the air traffic control station, have some major lapses in acting, and even in their relative ignominy, their lack of talent is of some concern. Even with all this, Episode one was not bad, just disappointing considering the caliber. I feel that episode 2 is soley a setup to get to episode 3, in which what will happen should hopefully be more exciting.
    Two major plot sucesses were the change of the impending terrorist threat. For once, the writing crew has recognized that the threat of Weapons of Mass DISSRUPTION are the greatest danger posed to the American people and have thought to include that. Not to mention the threat of cyber terrorism.
    Adding a new layer, dealing with foreign policy and interventist theories will hopefully add a dimesension to the show other than the great action with the thought of the necessity of torture; rather the larger of question of should the United States be assisting countries with genocide.
  • 24 Season Seven Begins. Jack Has A Hard Time With The Thoughts Of Tony Being On The Other Side...

A couple of things that I liked and a couple of things that I didn't like to bring in the new season of 24. The first episode starts right where we would expect it to - with Jack Bauer in a senate meeting getting drilled with question after question about his actions while he worked as a member of CTU for the past couple of seasons. I like how ten minutes into the new season Jack is pulled out of the meeting and is introduced to the threat right away. There was no long delays in trying to set this up - this was pretty straightforward right from the get go that this season was going to get started fast without playing around. I did like all of Jack's scenes, even the slow ones at the FBI building where he was forced to stay for about twenty minutes before he could make the connection that got him back out into the field. The lead ends with the man beging shot before any information can be obtained and also raises Jack's awareness that there may be a mole inside of the FBI. This is where hour one stops for Jack. Overall for this portion - A. The second portion of episode one involved introducing Cherry Jones as the female president, something that doesn't shock me with David Palmer's amazing run on this show as the first African-American president. I liked half of the white house plot. Cherry Jones trying to deal with the international problem was done very well, but the part I didn't like was the off the book operation that her husband was running in regards to what we saw in Redemption. It seems like a waste of a time plot, but in the end I think that's the connection that will bring Jack Bauer and the President to one another. It's just going to be very annoying to watch devolop. Overall for this portion - B-

The first episode ends with the sniper on the roof, which is about the last place you would have seen Jack about 50 minutes earlier. 24 is back and ready to go for the new season...
  • The new day kicks off with multiple intriguing developments and the promise of a wild ride.

After too long a wait, the season premiere wisely doesn't go too all-out but enough action and excitement to whet our appetities. It's clear how important the "Redemption" movie was in setting things up such as the entire Africian situation and Jack's current standing with the government. Jones is great as the female Prez willing to do what it takes no matter what if it's the right thing and is truly convincing being able to boss around the military. The plot of her husband investigating their son's suicide is interesting, given how we saw him in the film and that it could be tied into the events of the day is no doubt quite important as we go along. That those around him think he's losing it is another dramatic dimension that will make things dramatic.

Sutherland is great as Jack, showing the old drive even as he deals with his old friend alive and on the wrong side. Walker is a good addition, dedicated but knowing Jack's way is needed in order to get the job done right. Weirsching is a great actress and I look forward to seeing how she works with Bauer as the season goes on.

The early capture of Tony is a surprise but it's sure to mean there's more shocks and twists to come as the show looks to be back in drive and ready to give us the roller coaster ride we all love.
  • Once again, Jack shows us how to get results. Form the beginning when he stands up to the liberal senators to the FBI guy who doesn't really want Jack there. Jack can't believe that his old friend, Tony, can be behind a terrorist plot to harm America.

Once again, Jack shows us how to get results. Form the beginning when he stands up to the liberal senators to the FBI guy who doesn't really want Jack there. Jack can't believe that his old friend, Tony, can be behind a terrorist plot to harm America and will do whatever it takes to discover the truth. This is going to be a rocket ride from the beginning to the end. Last season was kind of disappointing but I think that after taking a year off the writers are going to reward us with a non stop action fest. It's going to be a long wait between episodes.