Day 7: 9:00 A.M. - 10:00 A.M.

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jan 11, 2009 on FOX

• PreCIPitation

The FBI's perimeters prove far more effective than CTU's as henchman Alan Tanner is actually trapped. However, the old mole storyline returns as an FBI turncoat helps Tanner escape. And he certainly won't be the only mole today. Yes, this is the first season since S1 where moles are a crucial and premeditated part of the story rather than some cheap waste of script space.
    Jack and Renee covertly follow Tanner and capture Tony, but they're too late to retrieve the CIP module, which has been handed over to Juma's right-hand man (and our first Bigbad) Iké Dubaku. But at least Tony got to play with it first by almost crashing two planes. It's always fun to gauge the American public reaction to that kind of TV.
    Not much going on elsewhere. Taylor learns of the air traffic threat and Henry angrily confronts Roger's girlfriend Samantha Roth, only to get accused of paranoia. The presidential storylines are still building up to their full potential; for now we'll have to settle for Jack, his new FBI buddies, and his friend-turned-enemy-turned…oh, we haven't gotten to that.
    The pacing of this episode is as fast as "24" has ever been, but it doesn't feel as ridiculous as S4 or S6. That's because the writers have learned a valuable lesson in toning down the scale, which will help S7 greatly (at least for the first ten hours).

Hourly Highlight:
    Jack fighting Tony, which is what we should've gotten in S2 instead of a fridgin' broken ankle.
  • This episode solve one situation which was finding tony, which for me was unexpected. This episode shows the audience another villain well known and the connection that this main threat has with the Africa situation. Overall, this episode exudes quality.

Presentation Phase - » (10/10). The presentation became perfect when Tony made the warning, that scene was tense with nice effects.

Complication Phase - » (9/10). FBI is compromised, this is 24, there is no way that at least one mole doesn´t exist. This time is about pursuing the sniper that will lead to where Tony are. Also this spectacular device can do more damage than any threat that any President has faced before.

Climax Phase - » (9/10). Tony versus Jack.

Suspense/Tension - » (9/10). The last scene built the suspense, very well done. The airplane scene can make you hold you breath.

Drama - » (8/10). Tony and Jack reunion, and Henry Taylor trying to prove is son´s murder.

Action - » (8/10). Finally we have some shootings and fights.

Ending - » (8/10). An ending with a question.

Surprises/Shocks/Twists - » (8/10). There is a little surprise when a well known villain appears. Tony is caught in the second episode of this season?

Time and Scene Management - » (9/10). Hard to notice filler scenes, however I starting to think that Henry Taylor scenes are filler.

Plot Details/Holes- » (10/10). FBI is compromised, nothing unusual here, since this is 24 way of doing things, but overall it is very hard to notice any flaws, only if you look very hard.

What I liked -» Tony and Jack reunion. The action. The all airplane scenes.

What I Didn´t Liked -» Hard to say.

• getting better and better !!!

day seven 9am-10am, is a really solid episode. they should have paid more attention to the story on Jack and the bureau, but the white house plots were really demanding for a huge twist further on. the cursed CIP firewall is delivered by David Emerson, tony s boss, to a new enemy Colonel Ike Dubaku. Also, the great actor Colm Feore plays Henry Taylor who gets more leads on his son s recent suicide. President Allison Taylor meets the Former prime minister Ule Matobo to discuss about his countrys evil monarchs, and not to abandon his country.

Great episode, and a great fight action scene at the end.
  • 24 feels more cohesive than it has done in a long, long time and that is most definitely something to celebrate.

With Renee and Bauer locked together like a well-oiled machine, it's time for the CTU veteran to teach the naive FBI stalwart a thing or two about how to get things done. After having shown her how a real agent does things by threatening that weird-looking Scottish dude with a pen at the end of '8am - 9am', now Jack really hits the high road (quite literally) by persuading her to deviate from Agent Moss' rather strict orders and follow him down the long, slippery road towards Senate hearings and prosecution. Yup, Renee's chasing Tanner (as it turns out is his name) in order to get to Almeida and co. and, crucially, no one knows. It's all rather thrilling really... if you put the fact that we've seen it all before to one side. Seriously, a mole? Again? Already? Oh sure, I know it was well established in Redemption that there's some significant corruption going on within the government but it all just feels a little too familiar for this embittered writer. And yeah, they've went with some faceless guy as the one responsible for getting Tanner out of there but I'd put money on him not being the only one in the office who's tipping off the terrorists. Who's your money on? Sean - the obvious, snivelling choice? Moss? RENEE? Mine's currently squarely on Janis, the new Chloe O'Brien... you're telling me she's really that naive? Come on! She's hiding something behind those spectacles and you know it... What else do we have to lap up? Oh yes, a fantastic opening fifteen minutes in which the dramatic tension is upped to breaking point as the bad guys almost crash a couple of planes into each other. I dunno about you, but I was squinting through almost fully closed eyes at that one. The Presidential and Bauer-led narratives are connected (as everyone knew they would be) with the introduction of Emerson, played to perfection by Peter Wingfield, and we get to see Matobo again (yay!) as Alison tries to her very hardest to ensure the polite removal of Juma from office, while juggling a national crisis at the same time. All very well written stuff, giving the impression of a well-rounded whole and, most importantly, that the writers know what they are doing. The show feels more cohesive than it has done in a long, long time and that is most definitely something to celebrate.
  • One of the dopiest episodes ever. The bad guys make a laughably bogus attack on a hilariously fake air traffic control system.

Yeah, I know, 24 is a fantasy, but when they use elements of the real world, couldn't the producers at least TRY to get them somewhere close to reality?

The air traffic control and cockpit sequences were as bad as anything in a '70s disaster movie. Couldn't they have paid a controller or an airline pilot a few bucks to help make them believable?

Oh, wait: the entire premise was preposterous, so I guess that would have gotten in the way of the "story."

This kind of careless, lazy production has marked more and more episodes lately. Time to cue the shark. Put on your water skis, Jack.
  • The Second Hour

The President meets with former Sangalan president Matobo to try and deal the situation in Africa, Henry tries to get to the bottom of what really happen to his son believing he didn't commit suicide, Tony and his crew continue to cause havoc with the as they play with the airways by almost causing two planes to collide. Meanwhile Jack is convinced that someone inside the burial is leaking information and is soon proven right when he spots the fleeing shooter coming out casually of a building. He and Agent Walker follow him to Tony's boat where they capture him.
  • The price of freedom

The second episode of the seventh season seems designed to confirm all the suspicions formed during the first hour, which is not necessarily the problem that it appears to be. The writers are letting the plot progress at a measured and reasonable pace, and that's better than the frenetic mess that has marked recent seasons. As suspected, there are plenty of moles within the FBI working with Tony's terrorist group, and that group is in turn working with General Juma in Sangala. One can assume that the current domestic terrorism is linked to the shadowy elements shown in "Redemption", the seventh season prelude. The First Husband's confrontation with Sam (the delectable Carly Pope) is surely just the beginning of the process of peeling back the layers of that particular onion. Getting to Tony is the name of the game, but how that happens is not so interesting. In essence, the FBI task force ends up being incredibly dense and inexperienced, leaving Jack to recognize the team member that doesn't fit. It's like Where's Waldo: The Terrorist Version. What makes it interesting is the attempt at philosophical debate. As it turns out, while Agent Ross and others within the FBI see Jack as a symbol of everything that's wrong with the "anything goes" culture of counter-terrorism, that's not the only opinion among the intelligence community. Jack gets a boost from an agent who makes it clear that some within the FBI see him as something of a hero. By placing Agent Walker distinctly in the middle, willing to step outside of the operational boundaries but with an eye to the letter of the law, she becomes the lens through which the audience can consider both sides of the debate. Jack puts it in very interesting terms. The way he sees it, the need for effective counter-terrorism demands the creation of two worlds: that of the operatives, and that of the people. The operatives choose to live in the violent and lawless world to provide the masses with the safer world they desire. (Fans of "Serenity" will note, with interest, that Jack Bauer is channeling the Operative from that mythos.) The counter-terrorism operatives don't have the luxury of playing within the rules, and they can't regret their actions. Yet, at the same time, Jack acknowledges that the price is taking responsibility, both legally and personally, for what the actions require. The unspoken promise is that this season will explore that dichotomy. The masses want these anti-heroes to exist, but they want them to operate under the surface and out of the public eye. They don't want to see what it takes to stop the terrorists. Pragmatically speaking, a lot of people will admit that they know what methods are employed in the field each and every day, but they will balk when the details are confirmed. Part of protecting the "world of the people" is shielding them from what that entails. If one thing has never wavered since the very first hour of the very first day, it must be Jack's patriotism. Jack's view of his place in the world can only be justified if he truly believes, to his core, in the ideals of the nation he fights so hard to protect and preserve. He's blackening his soul for a purpose, which is why he's viewed as an anti-hero. One can then ask the question: what might happen if the object of that idealism becomes blemished beyond repair? As it currently stands, that is the rationale for Tony's current character turn. Tony and Jack both arrived at the same place, having lost everything. Tony, however, seems to have stared into that abyss and found the object of his idealism to be wanting. If the writers play this right, Tony will become the voice for all of Jack's internal doubts, pressing Jack to analyze his own choices and allegiances. That level of philosophical exploration has always been an ephemeral quality of "24". Just when it seems to be an integral part of a season arc, it can disappear without a trace. No one wants to see Jack turn into some kind of emo poster boy, but given the scope of Jack's overall character journey, this is precisely the direction they needed to take. By questioning the underpinning of Jack Bauer's worldview, the writers can explore the reason to reaffirm it.
  • Conclusion! Well, sort of.

Obviously this episode picks up exactly where the last one was left off. To be honest I liked the first part better than this one mainly due to the fact that Jack had to sit in the car and wait for a little bit, but all was good once the end of the episode came and Jack started to kick some major butt. That thing that Tony did with the planes now has me convinced that he is just acting as one of the bad guys. I mena, come on, real terrorists don`t really give warnings. I have to admit I thought Tony was captured a little to easily so hiopefully all will be revealed in the next episode, and hopefully we can see Chloe and Bill as well. The ending was the best part of the episode in my opinion. Some classic Bauer fighting and shooting.
  • jack would NEVER say that!!!!!

Paul Schulze played Ryan Chappelle in 2004 on 24. Anyone else notice that he was the agent that was in the hall of the office of the President's son's ex girl friend. No one has typed about it. Just curious. Sort of dissapointed so far in the show....BIG TIME disppointed that they had Jack tell that FBI agent that the government should tell the TRUTH and let the people decide! OMG...Jack would NEVER say that!!! Now i have to typed more to see if this even shows up. NONE of my reviews have shown up and TV.com doens't answer me!!!
  • What happened with Tony Almeida?

Oh.. this episode was even better than first one.. I totally loved it.. It had so many angles, so many action going on and in the end, it did not looked like you had watched something for hour.. but for much longer.

The pearl ofcourse was Tony.. and the whole catch game Bauer played with him. Some really stylish fight scenes and some amazing moments - like the one on the boat when Jack has a first proper look on Tony and he realize - he is alive and all that is said, his true.. and Tony uses that moment. I really liked that emotion there.. as in the end when Bauer asked what happened with him.

On other storylines - I most say the whole thing with plains - that was very dangerously close. And it looks the device got out.. so who knows what the endgame with it will be.

And the whole mole inside bureau was great too. Good episode!
  • Tony Makes A Mistake; Advantage Bauer

Picking up right where we left off, the second hour of 24's long awaited opener fell just a bit short from the expectation level that I had set in regards to the hype of the episode. Tony and company take over Air Traffic Control and take us on a wild ride for the first ten minutes of the episode, but it all ends up doing nothing. Tony allows the planes advanced notice before they smash into one another and the new terrorist receives an "F" for his first assignment. I understand the need to "test" something - but what better way to test something then by killing a lot of people. I do like the fact that the Africa storyline overlapped with Tony and company, but I was not a fan of the fake-me-out provided earlier in the episode. Bauer's storyline is stalled in this episode, as he is forced to sit in the car for the first 15 minutes while everyone else searches the building. He then switches off into a car which eventually (35 minutes later) leads him to Tony on his boat. The new FBI woman gets the first kill, which I had to laugh at. And then Jack shoots someone else but has to share the kill with the FBI woman. Jack Bauer's Kill Total For Hours 1, 2 = 0.5. I predicted 6 for the four hours total. He better crash a lot of parties tomorrow night. Bauers part in this episode was an A-. The presidetn remained an interesting draw, but not like David Palmer or Charles Logan. I like her as a character a little better then Wayne though. Her part in this episode earns a B, but her husband brings down to storyline with his investigation into his son's attempted suicide. Once again we have whispers in the government, something I was hoping that we would avoid in this season. His role in the show so far is a "D". Overall I am very happy to see that 24 is back and I will continue my extended reviews tomorrow when the opening event comes to a close.

Most Shocking Moment So Far - Tony is captured a mere 2 hours into the season. I would have thought it would have taken a little longer then that.