Day 7: 9:00 A.M. - 10:00 A.M.

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jan 11, 2009 on FOX

• 24 feels more cohesive than it has done in a long, long time and that is most definitely something to celebrate.

With Renee and Bauer locked together like a well-oiled machine, it's time for the CTU veteran to teach the naive FBI stalwart a thing or two about how to get things done. After having shown her how a real agent does things by threatening that weird-looking Scottish dude with a pen at the end of '8am - 9am', now Jack really hits the high road (quite literally) by persuading her to deviate from Agent Moss' rather strict orders and follow him down the long, slippery road towards Senate hearings and prosecution. Yup, Renee's chasing Tanner (as it turns out is his name) in order to get to Almeida and co. and, crucially, no one knows. It's all rather thrilling really... if you put the fact that we've seen it all before to one side. Seriously, a mole? Again? Already? Oh sure, I know it was well established in Redemption that there's some significant corruption going on within the government but it all just feels a little too familiar for this embittered writer. And yeah, they've went with some faceless guy as the one responsible for getting Tanner out of there but I'd put money on him not being the only one in the office who's tipping off the terrorists. Who's your money on? Sean - the obvious, snivelling choice? Moss? RENEE? Mine's currently squarely on Janis, the new Chloe O'Brien... you're telling me she's really that naive? Come on! She's hiding something behind those spectacles and you know it... What else do we have to lap up? Oh yes, a fantastic opening fifteen minutes in which the dramatic tension is upped to breaking point as the bad guys almost crash a couple of planes into each other. I dunno about you, but I was squinting through almost fully closed eyes at that one. The Presidential and Bauer-led narratives are connected (as everyone knew they would be) with the introduction of Emerson, played to perfection by Peter Wingfield, and we get to see Matobo again (yay!) as Alison tries to her very hardest to ensure the polite removal of Juma from office, while juggling a national crisis at the same time. All very well written stuff, giving the impression of a well-rounded whole and, most importantly, that the writers know what they are doing. The show feels more cohesive than it has done in a long, long time and that is most definitely something to celebrate.