Day 8: 1:00 A.M. - 2:00 A.M.

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Mar 01, 2010 on FOX

• After pacing issues are resolved, hour ten gets things moving.

When 24 starts off slow, you have a right to be skeptic. Aptly named the "fastest hour on television," FOX's most popular drama found itself characterized by a pace that made you want to check your blood pressure every so often – if just to be safe. And, save for a few notable episodes here and there, 24 has not yet relinquished its title.

But, at times, it can suffer from a bad case of failure to launch. Hour ten, folks, was one of those instances. Last week gave new hope to a promising direction for the season. Rich with character development and well-executed transitory elements, it worked and kept tensions high not because of action, but because of strengthening bonds between the audience and the characters. Hour ten, on the other hand, foregoes that method, instead choosing to focus on pushing the story along and getting the season to pivotal points in the timeliest way possible. It's just taking a long and frustrating time to get there; 1:00 AM to 2:00 AM is caught in a lull for 15 minutes before anything important even starts to happen.

That's not to say that the episode's early moments are plagued by boredom, however, but they don't feature many compelling scenes either, save for maybe one; Hastings progression to finally become a competent leader. Rob Weiss, Taylor's aide, really had it coming to him, and, wonderfully enough, it was the man he commissioned to oversee Renee's blame game that showed him up. Hasting's evolution, though drastic, is an interesting one. His upholding of Jack's bargain is, in some ways quite significant, cementing Hastings as a person who Bauer may just be able to trust. While Hastings is no Bill Buchanan, his actions in hour ten were well-considered and thoughtful, and more than grants my respect for him as a character.

Unfortunately, the rest of the beginning finds itself bogged down by sequences that either don't go anywhere significant or don't go anywhere exciting. Granted, the talk President Taylor had with Hassan more than demonstrated the two's odd yet absorbing pairing and strength as actors. Taylor, under the instruction of Jack Bauer, orders Hassan to present files containing vital intelligence on terrorists in the US. Hassan, understandably, is apprehensive at first, wishing that the operation instead hands over Farhad to his party, where they will assess the situation. But Taylor, in a fashion akin to her season seven personality, will have nothing of it, threatening to attack the IRK should Hassan not give up the intel. But it's here where the scene, one that looked to unfold into an argument between the two, falls into an unsurprising rut. Hassan complies and the two are perfectly content with each other for the rest of the episode. Their disposition with each other, while understandable, breaks no new ground as far as 24's narrative goes and the storyline, at the moment, doesn't look like it'll feature any notable shock value anytime soon. Luckily, however, this plot thread is miles better than the escapades of Tarin and Kayla. Again, it stood as standard fare for the show, simply for the reason that it's predictable to a fault; Tarin gives his girlfriend the rundown of his escape before it even happens and the resulting moments unfold as if he had predicted or foreseen the whole thing. What's more, the side thread ends with the two wrapped in each other's embrace, almost happy with their predicament. Can someone pull out a knife and stab someone here?

The episode throws in some aftermath of Dana and Cole's adventures with Jenny's uninteresting past, though, shockingly enough, the episode shows the once mind-numbingly dumb side plot venturing into territory that could show at least some potential. Emphasis on the "could." As Dana stares pensively at Kevin's body as it sinks further into the muddy lake, the scene, without spoken word, develops Sackhoff's character. Almost pushing her character in a curious new direction, it may have just represented the point in season eight which evolves Dana, turning her from somewhat of a dipstick into a deeply disturbed individual. Or maybe that's how Jenny always was?

And, finally, we arrive at Jack Bauer's story, fortunately enough the main attraction here. It seems as if Farhad suffers from mild agitation, for he can sit tight for twenty minutes yet can't stay still for mere seconds before Jack and his company arrive. Yes, Hassan's brother runs out in the open and gets shot by an approaching attacker with Jack and his team right around the corner. Really, Farhad? Fine. For me, it's forgivable logic. He may have heard CTU coming and, instead of waiting for them to find him, he took his chances, hoping that the squad would see him and scare off Samir's man. No such luck for Farhad, apparently. But his poor decisions made for the most interesting development of the episode. Jack suggests they use Farhad as "dead bait," releasing false information to the media that he is still alive and luring the terrorists to a hospital. Luckily enough, Samir watches FOX news and immediately puts Marco, one of his youngest, on the trail to track down Farhad and 'kill' him once and for all. Naturally, he's also covered in explosives. The idea, clever and refreshing, works… well, for the most part, at least.

That's where Owen, the thin, nervous agent from CTU, comes in. Remember? He was the one who couldn't even buckle up his suit early on in the season. Following a short session of sweating and worriedness, Owen steps in, taking Marcos through the hospital and finally to the room where Farhad is planted as a trap. Of course, that's after he convinces the young terrorist to reveal his explosives to a security camera, giving Chloe ad Arlo a chance to find uncover the model and, ultimately, disarm it from miles away. Such is the power of the CTU tech department. While Owen is successful at his part of the mission, the rest of the squad, on the other hand, is not. They arrive to the scene where Marco, looking like a deer caught in headlights, stands. Without even a shot to the foot by Jack he is able to dive out of a window and escape to an all-to-conveniently placed pressure chamber. What are the odds Jack can manipulate that for torture?

So why, even with so many complaints, did I award hour ten with the season's second score of 8.0? Simple. The final few minutes of the episode rose tensions immensely, and, believe it or not, my heart was pumping. Suspense once again worked its way into 24, and, for that, I couldn't be happier. Now, if only all the other elements could do the same…
  • What a disappointing season.

2.5
    The last good season of "24" was season five. Season six was absolutely awful and season seven sucked (shouldn't have brought Tony back - big mistake). I thought that the writers, producers would have learned from two wasted seasons, but this season has been boring, predictable and many plot twists don't make sense. This week was the worst episode I've seen this season : - where is the VP? why is Taylor making all the decision? Like moving the world leaders out of the UN - where's the head of security? Maybe the terrorist are trying to lure a world leader (like Hassan - again!) out of the UN - again!

- why is Taylor getting all weepy and emotional when told of the estimate death toll? She's the leader of her county.

- why didn't Jack's team use the helicoper if they needed to reach Farhad quickly?

- there's no way that Jack could have known that the lone terrorist wasn't sure if Farhad was died.

- why didn't CTU send out their 'drones' (which we still haven't seen) to the site, so it can track the lone terrorist after he left the site?

- why didn't CTU set up road blocks out of the site?

- luring the terrorist to the hospital was done already....like last season.

- why did the terrorist say that they need a detonator if the kid with the bomb has a detonator? And the main terrorist guy even knows how to manually program one. - why didn't Jack have a sniper injure that kid and question him? Shoot him in the arm, leg, whatever, get the bloody answers you need. C'mon, Jack, he's not a newborn baby!

It's impossible to watch a show like this when so many things don't make sense. I hope that this is the last season of "24"
  • The odds are stacking up against them

This season of "24" has been something of a disappointment so far. Technically, it has all the usual pieces in place, and the show is running smoothly as ever. The deficiency is the writing. The writers simply haven't developed the new characters well enough to give the audience a reason to care about their successes, failures, and challenges.

Of course, this is nothing new; this has been the refrain ever since the season premiere. With the season rapidly approaching its midpoint, the challenge to the writers is to push the story in a new and more exciting direction, without resorting to shock tactics. The previous episode seemed to offer some promise of a more complex and intriguing direction, but little of that promise has filtered into this installment.

Much of the hope centered on giving an unusual spin on President Hassan's recent turn towards draconian counter-terrorist methods. Portraying those methods as immoral and overly harsh is nothing new, and very consistent with the values of the Taylor administration in the seventh season. Having those methods yield the only leads worth pursuing at this point in the story would have been an unexpected twist.

The net result would have been a choice for President Taylor: would she use the data obtained by brutal interrogation methods, or would she risk an attack on American soil to preserve her personal values? It would have been one way to bring Taylor back into the story in a compelling way. Instead, the writers completely skip the dramatic possibilities by having her demand the information, without much debate at all.

On Hassan's end, given his recent descent into paranoia, this should have been more of a problem for him. Especially when Taylor uncharacteristically threatened an attack on Hassan's country over the terrorists' actions. Instead, Hassan seemed to make an abrupt shift back to his more conciliatory approach. It's almost as if his previous actions had never happened. Watching Hassan try to get in touch with his daughter was not particularly interesting.

Perhaps it is a case of the writers being too obvious. Hassan's problems with his daughter force him to call on his wife, and now she will be rushing back to New York and into the firing line, thus generating more drama for Hassan. Similarly, it's clear that something is going to go wrong with the Renee situation. Either she is going to lose control of her psychological state again, or Taylor's chief of staff is going to take his little vendetta into his own hands.

And how convenient was it that Marcos, this episode's teenage suicide bomber, found a pressure chamber in which to seal himself? Not only does it prevent his immediate capture, but it gives Jack a rather convincing method of torturing Marcos, should it come right down to it. Of course, if that doesn't work, there's always Marcos' mother, who had to be introduced for a reason.

Even the hope that Dana's subplot would find a new direction has yet to bear fruit. Dana and Cole spent an hour figuring out what to do with the bodies. Sure, it left a less competent agent to work with Jack, making the scenes at the hospital a tad more interesting, but it felt unjustified. It was essentially the same as every other subplot, and the season as a whole: stuck in a rut.

Overall, this episode failed to live up to the promise of the previous installment, slipping back into the same habits as much of the season thus far. With the midpoint of the season on the horizon, the opportunities for substantial and lasting improvement are slipping away. If this trend does continue, this will emerge as the worst season of "24" to date.
  • Bauer backs in a good level

At least, this installment improves and very much from past episode and it contains very great tension points, the most in the end.

At first, Farhad plot ends in the best way for me, and it forces Jack to create a original and interesting plan to make that the terrorists get closer to CTU.
    Meanwhile, Jack and Renee relationship makes a step up and promises more.

This episode is not at all superb, due to some details. But suposses a great return of Bauer into the action and an excellent cure to the huge fail from the last hour.

I´m looking forward to see the next!.
  • Getting closer..

So.. Jack is back on the lead and CTU is doing much better.. If only people listen what they have told. They do not get Farah alive but they still can use it.. So, it has a lot of action packed sequences what I really liked. Specially on the hospital. That really nervous CTU man playing his part.

Also, it was great to see Renee again and I liked that president had some more screen time. Weird, that I am saying that as usually I hate those administrative storylines.. but this one I did liked. And dealing with runaway daughter promises quite much future possibilities.. so.. excited
  • Slight flaw......Someone please tell me how one can use a mobile phone inside a lead-lined truck through which even radiation does not pass through????? FAIL...MEGA FAIL..... You want to warn your mum....go outside and make the call dufus :)

• Jack and CTU have are setting a mouse trap for the terrorists.Better things are yet to come.

Don't get me wrong, this season lacks something but I'm rating this episode ten because i can feel it in my gut that it's going to get better. We've been too quick to judge this season with bad reviews. I don't if any of you watched the last season of Dexter. Everyone was complaining it was boring then at the end they hit us with a shocking finish. So I think it's too soon to be giving such bad reviews. Lets wait a little while cos i know it's going to be the 24 we all know and love. Jack Go Get'Em
  • Jack rushes to Hassan's location hoping to find him still alive so he can get needed information. President Taylor warns President Hassan that there could be consequences if the US is attacked. Cole and Dana try to clean up their mess.

This episode was certainly entertaining, but however its flaws to take away from its appeal. As I, and other users have mentioned, I find it very hard to believe that Dana and Cole, two important figures at CTU, can be allowed to come and go as they please for as long as they want to in the middle of a major emergency. Why Cole decides to cover up what happened also makes no sense. All he is doing is making the matter worse, not making it go away (As the trailer for the next episode showed.). Day eight has problems.
  • 24 actually does the unthinkable with the tenth hour of its eighth season and delivers something genuinely good.

I do enjoy a healthy slice of constructive criticism every now and again, so I was most delighted last week when a gentleman (actually, that's a presumption on my part) by the name of HTEflseGODS took it upon himself to compose a 'review' of 24's '12am - 1am' that consisted entirely of a series of observations on my analysis of the episode. Mr. Gods suggested that perhaps I was only 'just now figuring... out' that the show 'is so mindless' and that as a result, I should stop watching 'b/cuz [sic] (I'll) just end up going bats**t'. An astute piece of psychoanalysis there, I'm sure you'll agree. However, this wasn't all. Not by a long shot. While acknowledging that 'they go off on some of the most rediculouse [sic] side stories ever', HTE, if I may call him that, argued that this is 'the fun of the show' and that I should simply 'take it for what it is' ('mindless fun dressed up as intellagent [sic] espianoge [sic] action', in case you were wondering). Gods believes that I should not take anything that 24 throws up 'too seriously' because, well, at the end of the day, 'the clock is counting 4 [me] too' and presumably, by composing a review that's significantly critical of the subject matter, I am exponentially reducing my life span. It's all the stress and the strain on my psyche, you see. What I need to do is switch off, let it all wash over me, 'enjoy the ride', so to speak, and, to quote Gods again, 'stop the endless ranting', if for no other reason than as he so eloquently points out, 'nobody reads that' anyway.

And he's probably right. Who in their right mind wants to sit and pore through a right load of old whinging, eh? Who really wants to read a review that actually picks apart the minutiae of the episode and challenges the quality of the production? Who's bothered if the critic actually uses the full range of marks and delivers scores that are representative of their opinions? Certainly no self-respecting reader that I can think of, that's for sure. No, what we want, nay what we need, is for everyone to have a good chuckle about how daft television shows are, to excuse the lazy writing, poor plotting and wanting production because that's 'the fun of it' isn't it... that way, we'll live in a land of comfortable 9.5s where everything is hunky-dory and everyone is footloose, fancy-free and happy as a pig in s**t. Or something. I really don't want to be the one to hinder the onset of this incandescent utopia so, with that in mind, I'm going to take Mr. Gods's sage advice and turn off my hypercritical and over-cynical mental faculties for this one. Yup, it's your lucky day '1am - 2am', because screenagedkicks is ready to sit back, relax and let your c**p wash right over him.

Except it doesn't quite turn out that way. As if in defiance of my determination to simply become a mindless automaton for a week, 24 actually went and did the unthinkable with the tenth hour of its eighth season and delivered something genuinely good. Not 'turn off your brain good' (if ever there were such a thing), you understand, but critically good, measuring up to the sort of standards that we have justifiably come to expect from the programme after many years of solid writing and production. Braga and Coto's script defies all the odds and manages to create a substantially engaging hour of entertainment, keeping suspense levels high by maintaining a healthy pace and steady momentum to that most important of storylines: the core terrorist threat. Yes, would you believe it, '1am - 2am' actually spends a large amount of time dealing with the small matter of The Rod Stewart Affair, and allows most of the extraneous narratives to have a sit down on the sidewalk and ruminate over their general rubbishness. In fact, what's even more impressive is that the Rod Stewarts barely feature in the episode at all, save for a cameo appearance (support slot? To continue the pun... type... thing? No?) while Marcos is calling his dear, sweet, innocent mother (nice scene by the way, grounding events in a solid emotional base); instead, the writers manufacture tension from a perfectly logical off-shoot of the terrorist activity, taking the time to delineate consequence and demonstrate how the IRK rebels' 'plans' are loosely woven together and highly organic.

This sets the arc story at a distinct advantage; without a set of 'rules' (peeling away the layers to reveal plan-upon-counterplan-upon-counterplan, all concocted by shady businessmen), there is the sense that the narrative could essentially go anywhere, making its teleology decidedly unpredictable. This is exactly the sort of format that 24 should be adopting, since in a show with a 'real time' backbone, significant foreshadowing often feels like unnecessarily premature revelation. Furthermore, it proves that the drive does not always have to be towards the actualisation or heroic prevention of the proposed threat; it can be just as successful (if not more so) when it is a self-contained tangent, a small piece of a far larger mosaic. CTU's duplicitous attempt to capture one of the operatives for interrogation by lying about Farhad's status and leaking it to the press (all Jack's idea, note, and one that, as well as making perfect sense, has rarely been done in the show in the past... we'll just forget about the 'Palmer survived' thang in late season one, shall we?) makes for wonderfully dramatic viewing, and while it is arguably a foregone conclusion that Marcos will not detonate the bomb when Jack Bauer's in the general vicinity, Braga and Coto circumnavigate the problem of by having the young, inexperienced and distinctly nervous Owen be the one to accompany him to the treacherous Hassan. We experience events predominantly through his perspective, and his jittery uncertainty transposes onto the viewer, such that we're frightened by the instability of the whole situation. Owen's mid-card status also renders him expendable, so the possibility of an untimely death and early grave is always on the cards, adding just that extra nugget of tension to proceedings.

Farhad's final twenty minutes on Earth are also notably well handled, largely because, by virtue of the juxtaposition between scripted events and the ever ticking clock, the viewer is constantly aware that 'time is running out', so to speak; that the window of opportunity for CTU to rescue the man is narrowing by the second. Importantly, the outcome is never telegraphed. It really feels, at every point until Farhad gets up and runs (not objectionable in itself due to the proximity of the shooter, but did he really have to do it so blatantly? Why not just wave your arms around and shout, "I'm here!" too?), like the narrative could go either way, which is certainly encouraging. It is also a rather interesting idea to have the members of Farhad's 'posse', so to speak, be members of Omar's trusted elite. While this ties in with his suspicions in the wake of his brother's betrayal, it also provides the opportunity to explore some suitably murky political ground, and Coto and Braga rise to the challenge exceptionally well. For all its relative brevity, the sequence between Taylor and Hassan is simply superb, a wonderfully executed scene in all its aspects. The discussion that they have is distinctly realistic and works well to sell the roles themselves, while the dilemma that it postulates enriches the substance of the narrative, since it's brilliantly oblique and without any evident 'right' or 'wrong' resolution. Everything is excellently shot too, and wonderfully soundtracked (Sean Callery, ye be a genius), to convey the right level of gravitas and give a simple set of impassioned talking points real weight and foreboding.

Of course, this being 24, not everything in '1am - 2am' is quite so pleasantly surprising. No, there are elements of the episode that I would perhaps have described, in weeks past, as being somewhat lacking; in fact, I probably would have lambasted their patently ridiculous and pathetic nature... but no more! Mr. Gods has made me see the light and now I love every one of these kooky fun-fests... so much so, in fact, that I just can't wait to see more in the hours to come. Hunchback Hastings and his battle of wills with I-Don't-Get-My-Way-So-I'll-Throw-A-Hissyfit-And-Maybe-Break-A-Telephone-Or-Two (or Wah Wah for short)-Weiss? It doesn't matter if Weiss cares about this whole thing far more than he should... I just can't get enough of their woodenness! Seriously, that hammy delivery, those weird pensive pauses and smirks that Williamson does... the stuff of dreams, man. Hell, they make me feel better about my own lacklustre acting skills. And when Hastings utters the immortal line, 'you wanna replace me as head of CTU?', it just fills me with an overwhelming sense of delight at the possibility that we might have another revolving door of bureaucrats who do their absolute best to hinder everything beneficial that happens within the investigation. These writers are too good to us, really.

They do give us more extraneous interpersonal gumf, after all. Honestly, I find myself having to contain my excitement at all of this, just in case the sort of hyperactive gleeful gesticulation that it is known to induce actually causes me to have a hernia. I don't know about you, but whenever Hassan's daughter appears on screen, running after her potentially dastardly boyfriend (oh yeah, don't tell me you haven't clocked those dodgy looks that Tarin keeps shooting everyone - the guys in the car especially - and honestly, where else is this story going to go? We're probably due a predictable mole around about now anyway), I find myself thinking that this is the sort of thing I want to see on my TV screen, wishing that more programmes could feature such riveting and potentially revolutionary storylines... and sparkling dialogue, for that matter. 'This is such a terrible situation and yet I've never felt so happy'? That's deep, man. That's the sort of thing that stays with you, that touches the very depths of your soul. That's the stuff Emmys are made of. All of this makes me care so much about these characters; almost as much, in fact, as I care about Cole and Dana, whose initiation of Kevin's Voyage to the Bottom of the Swamp might be 'rediculouse', in Gods's words, but by golly, was it heart wrenching. Katie Sackhoff's wistful, 'complex' gaze, her tears, Freddie Prinze Jnr.'s confusion and his... um... confusion. Man, I was choking up. It's just a shame that the writers spend so little time on them this week; the show could do with more drama that's completely unrelated to any of the central motifs. Still, at least it doesn't seem like it's going to go away any time soon. Yup, we really can all sleep soundly at night knowing that we're gonna get to see the fall-out of this water cooler-worthy storyline. What else? Oh yes, there's the possibility that Jack and Renee are gonna get it awn which gets my vote frankly, since the very definition of 'fun', in my book, is knowing someone for a day and a half and then agreeing to spend all your time with them romantically. The rather spurious technology's also good for a laugh (bring up the hospital security feed instaneously, acquiring results of facial recognition within seconds, remotely disarming the bomb from a ludicrous amount of miles away) and how about that Cisco product placement, huh? 'The telepresence conference is about to begin'... in the 'Cisco Telepresence Suite'! Oh 24, you are such a cad, but we love you for it.

You know Mr. Gods, I think that's much better. Having embraced your philosophy and allowed myself to bypass everything that it's in the very fibre of my being to criticise, it really has improved both my state of mind and my enjoyment of writing this review. Granted, a significant proportion of '1am - 2am' is a decided improvement on weeks past anyway, featuring a much welcome focus on the terrorist threat and generating a substantial amount of suspense, but those parts that are extraneous, I no longer feel inclined to whine about. Nope, I don't feel even the slightest bit frustrated at the fact that 24 is able to provide us with far better, as it has done in the past. I'm quite happy to coast along with you on auto-pilot, letting everything go in one ear and out the other, never objecting that perhaps, just perhaps, we deserve better. As that wise scholar Andrew W.K. once said, 'we want fun', after all. Thanks ever so much 24 for giving it to us.
  • Jack closes in on a IRK operative doing Samir's bidding. Omar Hassan looks to his family in the face of a terrorist attack.

There were many good little things about this episode: Hastings's integrity in the face of Rob Weiss, Owen's courage, Marcos's action sequence once he enters the hospital, President Taylor's dire meeting with Hassan, and Chloe getting to be Chloe. Also it was great to see the return of Tim Woods, Admiral Smith, and Dr. Ben Landry.

I wanted to rate this episode a 9.3, but my computer will only allow 0.5 point intervals. This episode is neither filler nor climatic action. Rather, it is the good old suspense and drama that has given 24 such good continuity over the years.

Farhad Hassan is now dead. Had it not been for Jack's intuition, that death would have been a dead end. Jack however, launches a brilliant attempt to lure an IRK operative or two to a hospital, and his plan succeeds in part. The first half of the episode was a densely packed setup to the suspenseful second half. When these two halves come together, combined with the plot shifts in episode 8, 24 really begins to move forward.

It was great to see some solid personal storylines of the characters. Jack and Renee's feelings, in case we didn't know for sure already, are mutual, and Jack's tender side and Renee's vulnerable side come out very well. Omar is worried about Kayla, but not in a breach of security way. He seems to respond as a loving father who is scared about his daughter's safety. Marcos's relationship with his mother seems to model that of Syed Ali's, Stephen Saunders's, and Dina Araz's to their potentially threatened loved ones.

BCagen, I don't know why you're so pessimistic about this episode and the season in general. I understand not everyone believes the episode was superb, but to rate it as a 2.5 is ridiculous. Also, some of your comments are not only wrong, they are ludicrous. 24 did NOT cease to be good after S5. S6 was very poor, but S7 was one of the best in the show's history (I know this is just my opinion, but you'll find that you are in a tiny minority of those who didn't like it). And as for Tony's return, that was the absolute best move the writers could have made. To see a new, darker, vengeful Tony was impressive. I'll make an assumption that you never cared much for Tony.

I'll try and respond to some of your comments about the actual episode. Why do we need to see VP Hayworth? When in the show's history has a good President needed the input of his VP. Did David Palmer or John Keeler? I guarantee you Logan wouldn't have needed Gardner if he was a stronger man. When 10,000+ American lives are threatened, I would hope Allison Taylor would show some fear and concern, as members of her country are in danger. Also, women are typically more emotional than men, so if you're going to get some tearing up, Taylor is the most likely of the show's presidents to do so. CTU couldn't have set up road blocks unless it had gotten to the site already! When were terrorist lured to a hospital in S7? I'm not a nuclear physicist, but I'm pretty sure the way that Marcos's explosives were wired would not be compatible with a detonation needed for a radiological bomb to succeed. It might work, but I'm sure Samir is thinking about doing a controlled detonation, not a hit or miss explosion. As for Marcos, yes he isn't a newborn baby, but he looks a lot more scared, uncertain, and uncommitted than men like Syed Ali, Habib Marwan, and Abu Fayed. There is no way that Ali could have known for sure if Farhad was dead because when Jack got there, Farhad was still alive, and that could have only meant that Ali didn't get to finish the job by checking Farhad's pulse. I don't have a good answer for the drones and the helicopter, but these issues shouldn't cause an episode to be rated so low.
  • It's way hours in the morning, at the start of another day and already things are a mess; people are dying and others having sex.

That's right to the last part and that would involve President Hassan's daughter and Tarin; The President's once personal adviser. I don't know how some find the time in the midst of a crisis? Probably love takes your mind away from everything, and she surely didn't want to have her fathers voice in her head before she met up with her boyfriend, then considered a fugitive. It's also funny how her loyalty changed from her father to her boyfriend in the matter of a few hours. That just goes to show how much the heart could play with your head.

President Hassan had a lot more on his plate; firstly discovering his brother tried to have him assassinated and then to be killed later the next day. That's a lot for one person to tolerate. I didn't believed his brother would have made it out alive anyway, that scene where he tried to run away was pathetic on his part, as though he deliberately tried to have himself killed. I suppose his recklessness was pointed out the moment he tried to run away, barely knocking his partner; then considered his enemy, unconscious. The attempt to have these guys threaten civilians on US soil was also a no-brainier. I kept thinking to myself the stress each President on 24 has been burdened with. Even President Taylor had her share of downfall, if not as the President, but in her family life.

Jack Bauer is also in a similar stance, regarding his family life. So long as he signed on to become a protector for his country, his family has suffered the loss of his presence in their lives. Kim has grown understanding of his duties, but what would his grand-daughter believe as she is growing up. She can surely be proud of her grandpa, without having to hear the details of the pain he endured over the years. Another continuation from 24 was the apparent intimate connection between Jack and Renee. When he referred to getting together, somehow cocktails wasn't the first thought that came to mind. Can Jack and Renee really have something that the viewers are completely in the 'dog house' about? We have to continually be reading between the lines and the extra stress on "I meant what I said before" being repeated several times over. What does it all mean?

Aside, let's give a round of applause for Hastings who is finally showing who's boss. Renee was actually a cheap shot on their part to lay the wrecked on the already damaged; how insensitive. This also proves that Hastings could be stepping up and wondering, where are Walsh and Ortiz? They have obviously been gone for an hour or more, getting rid of bodies non-the-less. So my speculation last week came to life. It leaves me wondering, what really was the point to this bogus storyline; to break up Walsh and Ortiz? Why not just use Glass to do that, only that would not be as interesting. I only hope the writers aren't placing story-lines for the sake of interest and no point to the plot.

This hour still acts as a build, used to create a sense of curiosity until the real excitement begins. I only want Ortiz and Walsh to wrap up things and head back to CTU, probably I even want this Bauer and Walker thing sorted out. It's funny, a few hours ago, Jack was eager to get on a plane to meet his family and now he sending Renee off to his hotel room? I wonder where he would find the time, surely 'hotel' should have raised some flags and Renee looked a bit too eager, something is definitely up?

Lexa Reviews

____________

Four Stars

Grade B-
    ____________
  • After a couple of episodes that didn't impress me as much, 24 is back.

I was a bit harsh on last week's episode of 24, but I was just growing a little disappointed in how sluggish the plot had become. It felt as if nothing was happening, and some of the turns in the plot were just ridiculous. However, after a couple of weeks of nothing much happening in terms of plot development, this week kicked everything up a notch and got me very interested again. It had all the elements of a great 24 episode.

I really enjoyed seeing President Taylor and Hassan have more scenes. The last couple of weeks have given us very little of these two characters, which doesn't make sense considering how great Taylor was last year and how good Hassan has been so far. Even though the Taran plot doesn't seem like much right now, it really gave some intensity to the early scenes of the episode. I'm curious to see how Hassan's daughter and Taran will work with what's happening.

The pacing was perfect throughout the episode, with everything moving rapid-fire without it feeling as if they were jumping over stuff. This felt almost like a classic 24 ending, almost like the episode in Season 2 where Jack was trying to coerce the Joe character from early on in the season to come out of his panic room. Very intense and very fun to watch.

That being said, it feels as if, at times, 24 borrows from other seasons. The whole "Marcos locking himself in the room" is recycled from season 2, the whole "President of the US attacking another country" has been done almost every season (and never done as well as Season 2), and there are just moments that feel as if they've been done better in other seasons

But ignore that last paragraph for the time being, and you'll see that this episode of 24 was great and got me back in that 24 mood, the kind where you can't wait to see what happens next.
  • Good news and bad news...

What a waste of a potentially great character like Cole on a totally useless character like Dana Walsh. This can't end well for Cole, especially as we know Katee Sackhoff is moving on to another show, so 'Dana' is going down, and no doubt taking Cole with her...total bummer.

Oh the intrigue amongst Hassan's "camp". Who's in and who's out seems to evolve more than rapidly than a Blue Light Special at K-Mart. Thankfully the writers have managed to contain this element to just the necessary level, though I must admit, Hassan's daughter doing the dirty in a big and very public hotel with the boyfriend who isn't safe anywhere seems a bit of dramatic license!

Anything 'Jack' this season maintains my interest but where he is absent I am beginning to zone. However, we all know its always darkest just before dawn, and the writers know the dawn of day 9 is fast approaching. I have faith...