Day 8: 1:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M.

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 17, 2010 on FOX

• Most powerful episode of flawed Season 8

The final Season of 24 is not strong. Until its last episodes, it was simply entertaining, althought it managed to not to be as awful as season six.
    But from episode 15, the season came on with stunning episodes. Thing that i like it too much. And this terrific episode is a proof of it.
    Only to two hours the big finale, Jack Bauer begins to kill every person involveed in the conspriracy one by one. He kinddaps former president Charles Logan again in a more spectacular way, and his revenge or personal quest of justice has no limits.
    This episode contains epic moments and scenes that have passed to the history of the show!.
    At least, the writers let the real stuff and the quality for last. Good!
  • Jack Bauer: Bloodthirsty Killer.

At this point, it feels like the producers and writers made a conscious decision to polarize the audience, as if recognizing that most of the season had lulled the remaining fans into something of a hazy stupor. If nothing else, Jack's decision to embark on a suicidal killing spree has definitely gotten the attention of the viewership.

While one would hardly want to justify the current direction taken with the character, there may be some method to the madness. (And in keeping with the track record of the writing staff, it could very well be unintentional.) If one of the questions since the first season has always been where to draw the line between the demands of service to one's country and unjustifiable violence, then the writers have concocted a scenario where the audience is actively asking and answering that question.

For example, ever since the murder of Renee Walker, fans have debated Jack's single-minded vendetta and whether or not it fits the character's ethical history. While a large majority of the fans appear to object to the notion of Jack Bauer pursuing personal vengeance over justice, there have been many passionate defenders.

It's going to be interesting to see if this episode changes anyone's mind. Certainly there is plenty of evidence to support the notion that Jack has gone completely off the rails, far beyond anything he has done in the past. While it's true that Jack has been spectacularly creative with his interrogation and self-defense techniques, his methods have seldom exceeded the needs of the moment.

And it should be admitted that Jack has, on several occasions, allowed personal feelings to influence his actions. Yet it should be equally noted that his actions, even then, were bounded by his sense of duty. For example, while one could argue that Jack ultimately killed Nina Myers under questionable circumstances, it was something that came up in the course of a larger crisis. Jack was not single-mindedly chasing down Nina in the days after Teri's death.

In the last few episodes, one could have made the argument that Jack was serving two purposes by murdering Dana and Pavel: exacting revenge while also retrieving the evidence necessary to ensure the right people were brought to justice. In fact, that argument has been made, even if many were unconvinced. But that stopped being true as soon as Jack handed the evidence over to Meredith Reed, yet still insisted on continuing with his search for vengeance.

Nothing that Jack does in this episode is devoted to the cause of justice, unless one is speaking in the Old Testament sense. It would appear that everyone involved in the production is aware of this fact, because they ensure that Jack looks as terrifying as possible during the abduction of Charles Logan. Sure, he let the Secret Service personnel live, but as Cole says, that's not really enough to vindicate Jack's actions.

Of course, that also comes before Jack's brutal slaughter of the Russian delegate and his bodyguards. It seems like the only people who survive are the ones necessary to keep the plot balls rolling. But that's just the usual brand of convenient writing on "24", so it's hardly unexpected. Jack's decision to eviscerate Pavel and then kill the delegate by impaling him with a fire poker is way beyond his usual clinical techniques.

And if anything, this continues to prove the point that so many fans have been making. Why would this particular incident break Jack so badly that he would lose his humanity and care nothing for his own survival? He's been betrayed by presidents before, he's lost loved ones before, and while he's been willing to die for his cause, he's never actively sought death. Along with the level of violence, it's all part of the conclusion that the writers are forcing what seems to be a disproportionate response.

Events have spiraled so far out of control that it's hard to imagine how the writers could have Jack come out of this with any hope for the future. Then again, it's already been said that the "24" film franchise would stand on its own, completely aside from the continuity of the series. If that's the case, it's entirely possible that they would have Jack die, ending his story with one final tragic meltdown.

It wouldn't be the ending the fans have been waiting for, but it might just be the only ending the writers have left themselves.
  • In Jack we trust.

Absolutely brilliant in my opinion. The pacing of the episode was fantastic, and I never saw the final twist/genius masterstroke from Jack coming! I loved the absolute carnage of the Novakovic death scene - what a way to go! I also loved how Charles Poodle Logan gave up Novakovic so easily, and Jason Pillock's reaction to.... "They're dead...they're all dead!" My favourite scene of the episode had to be the scene where Jack cocks his shotgun in the underground car park - EPIC! WATCH THIS EPISODE. P.S never have I been as excited as this for a finale of a TV show. Other seasons have had better storylines, but the situation which needs to be resolved is fresh, exciting and you just don't know what's gonna happen!
  • My Favourite Episode Of The Season Yet!

If you thought that you saw everything that you could see in the season... you are wrong.
    Because this is the best episode of the season 8 yet!.
    I thought that episodes like the sixteenth or the twentieth were untouchables or hard to suprass, but this episode is really powerful and unstoppable.
    It´s my favourite episode os this season so far and this one suprasses everything you have seen in the day yet!.

Gregory Itzin makes a really superb performance and Kiefer Sutherland stills being a unstoppable Bauer seeking brutal and bloody revenge.
    The action in the episode is in the best level, and the suspense keeps you in the edge of your seat.

And the final moments of the installment are so surprising and build up a promising, so much expected and enormous finale.

I can´t wait!.
  • This episode was beyond good. Seriously, I think this was the best TV show episode I've ever seen.

The series is coming to an end and Bauer is out for blood. A few weeks back, he committed a cold blooded murder for possibly the first time in series history and back it up last week with an absolute butchery. This week upped the ante with the murder of numerous secret service agents, the savage beating of ex-President Charles Logan, and the most horrifying cross of Jack Bauer and Jason (of Friday the 13th) imaginable. Jack Bauer has always been hardcore, but this is the most insane he's ever been. I would say that this was, hands down, the single best episode of 24 I've ever seen. Scratch that, this was the single best episode of any tv show I've ever seen.
  • Violence, tension and action a perfect combo to a brilliant Ep

It has taken 7 series and 21 previous episodes, before they finally got it right. This was by far the best episode ever and had me on the edge of my seat. When Jack was all suited up and coming down that tunnel shooting at the Prez car, I was shi**ing myself ! I cant imagine how President taylor is going to get herself out of this one, anyway no great loss she is a sanctimonious bi*ch. Now Jack is going for the Russian President, seems a hard act to pull off, no doubt he will do it, but there is no way he will kill President Taylor, if he does get that far, I am sure he will back off and fade into non-existence?? if he dies at the end, that will be sad and a bit pointless. If he gets together with his daughter and grand-daughter then that will be typical American sugar coated crap. Anyway fingers crossed that next weeks double ep will be as good as this one 5* excellent!
  • Jack continues his quest, but does he want justice or revenge? Chloe and Arlo keep themselves informed of Pillar's activites. Hoping to save Jack's life, Chloe enlists Cole's help to locate Jack through a known associate.

An excellent thrill ride from start to finish. If the writers and/or producers of "24" wanted to make sure the show's eight year run would end in memorable fashion, they have certainly succeeeded. The last few episodes have been the best of the entire series. Edge of your seat suspense, terrific action and gripping tension. Gregory Itzen may have given his best performance of the series in this episode. Logan's fear as Jack moved into kidnap him and the scene where Logan tells Jack everything (almost) were both phenomenal and came across as very genuine. The ending scene was incredible.
  • I was trembling with adrenalin the whole way through. This episode is up there with the best film/TV I've ever watched.. no exaggeration! Moral of the story: don't upset Jack Bauer!!

This is my first time writing a review for this site. In fact I discovered it only the other day. I was moved to register and write one because I've just finished watching this episode but there's nobody here, and I just HAVE to express myself lest lose my mind!

This episode was wild! That an 8th season of 24 could be as good as this is phenomenal. Ok ok, now to the episode itself.

I was still recovering from last weeks episode when Jacky B single-mindedly fished around in Pavel's bowels to find his SIM card. But the raid on Logan's cavalcade in this episode was platinum drama. In that protective bulletproof get-up he was wearing, Jack looked like a cross between Jason Vorhees and Darth Vader, and was every bit as menacing. As he walked down Logan's car, the way that he advanced in left to right motions was chilling, especially as he was taking down everyone in his path as he did so. His resemblance to Darth Vader must have been deliberate as there was a hint of the 'Vader breath' sound when Jack looked through the window at Logan, who looked at that moment like he'd just wet himself.

And Novakovich! How the blood drained from his face when he realised there was a possibility of Jack finding out about his involvement. The sight of all of these smug and seemingly fearless men genuinely unnerved at the prospect of meeting their end at the hands of Jack Bauer is the best comedy of all. Jack was the truly the boogieman in this episode and he did brilliantly as always.

I'm upset that he is wounded. Very upset indeed. However, unless it was a smokescreen the big finale is supposed to be the feature film (isn't it?). I'm confused though because the wound really does seem life-threatening, or seriously incapacitating at the very least. What to expect next week? I've no idea, but I'd like to see Allison Taylor get some comeuppance. She isn't evil, I know that, but she's been so very stupid and had more than enough opportunities to make the right choice.

My big fear for next week is that Cole sees the evidence video and realises that Dana's love for him was genuine. He already wants to kill Jack and that certainly won't help.

How the hell am I going to sleep today!? More to the point, what's life going to be like without 24?? :-(
  • In taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior.

This episode yet again proves that 24 hasn't lost its touch and is still has the ability to shock and awe its viewers. This episode was an edge of your seat roller coaster ride from start to finish. The plots were all interesting, specifically Jack's, and they all were intriguing and suspenseful. But Jack's by far was the best, with action and emotion, we are seeing the fall of a great man. Although I don't disagree with what he's doing, I don't see how Jack Bauer can come back from these last hours, and even he has acknowledged the fact that "[He's] not coming back from this". President Taylor also continues on this theme and continues her descent and inevitable downfall as President. Chloe tries to help Jack one last time and Logan is interrogated in one of the greatest scenes of 24 ever!

24 has proven it self once again, and next week's series finale will be bitter sweet, but alas, I cannot wait. After 8 seasons and 192 hours, next week will be the last TWO hours of 24 ever... at least on television. What can we look forward to? **SPOILER AHEAD**

Chloe pulling a gun on Jack, Cole shooting up the place, Jack assassinating someone, and the most shocking final twist ever!

Thank you 24 for everything and hope to see you on the big screen. Mondays will never be the same...
  • JACK BAUER is my HEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

SPEECHLESS! Absolutely speechless. What a truly amazing episode. 24 has taken tension to levels beyond my imagination. Jack in his medieval suit was probably the greatest action scene I've ever seen on 24. That was just so COOOOOL !!! :) As others have pointed out, the aftermath of the Russian massacre was a novel and brilliant idea which played out phenomenally. It's really upsetting to see Jack bleeding heavily. I don't have expectations for a movie anymore, I think 24's going to leave us very emotionally. No point mentioning the other characters in this episode, as this episode is ALLLLLLL JACK (and also superb acting from Itzin as Logan, as always!) Seriously, if after an episode like this viewers are still unhappy, they don't even deserve to watch the series finale.
  • What an episode! Jack Bauer mesmerized us all. The way Logan was squeaking like a mouse... the way all the guards & Novakovich were found slaughtered added to the awesomeness of the episode. It seems Jack won't get out alive this season... :

What an episode!
    Jack Bauer mesmerized us all. The way Logan was squeaking like a mouse when Jack was interrogating him was fantastic. The way all the guards & Novakovich were found slaughtered added to the awesomeness of the episode.
    It seems Jack won't get out alive this season.:-(
    Meredith Reed was caught by FBI and evidence was confiscated from her. What a pity ;-)
    But Dalia Hassan seems to be knowing her job well. No sooner does she listen about Logan playing a part, she becomes suspicious and demands investigation. She is definitely an impressive lady.
    As far as Chloe and Cole are concerned, it seems that one of them might die (as far as rumours on the site go: "emotional shock")
    And last but not the least, President Taylor definitely has lost her way and is heading towards inevitable her fall.
    GO GO GO!!! Watch 24!!!
    Life is incomplete without watching 24 !!!
    Kudos to Jack Bauer and everyone in the team... Wish it never ended, Alas!!! :-(
  • Bloody episode, in which Charles Logan squeals like a pig and several Russians are slaughtered like ones...

Holy cheese and crackers - if you thought last week was the peak of brutality, think again! Plus: Charles Logan does everything but shriek like a little girl when Jack terrorizes the tunnel and kidnaps him. The look on his face was priceless. He sings like a canary during interrogation, too, and Jack maybe smacked him around a couple of times.

Minus: If President Taylor acts surprised one more time that something didn't go the way it should with Logan involved, I'm going to reach through the screen and smack her. (Really, after the fourth or fifth screw-up in this whole cover-up, is it still *really* that surprising?) Forget 180 - she's on another freaking planet. The change in her is incredible and horrifically near unforgivable - what happened to the upright, stiff-spined Madam President we met in season 7?

Plus: Not only did Logan sing like a canary, but...well, this old adage comes to mind: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Jack pulls the same stunt on Logan that he pulled back in season 5 - kidnaps him, roughs him up, puts a microtransmitter-dealy on him, and then listens to every incriminating conversation the bastard has. I'd say "Jack: 1, Logan: 0," but it's more like, "Jack: 10, Logan: -10," methinks.

This is probably the bloodiest episode in all of 24. The scene with the slaughtered Russians is shocking. I'm well-accustomed to people being killed on 24, but mass slaughter has never been Jack's gig. It isn't the bad guys dropping like flies that bothers me, though - it's the repurcussions it'll have on Jack. We all want to see the show end well, but I think that for a large majority of viewers, that encompasses at least a pseudo-happy ending for Jack. Y'know, moving to L.A., living out the rest of his life with his daughter and granddaughter, etc. - but with only two hours left to go, I'm having doubts that there will be any kind of tasteful ending for Jack Bauer. He's almost completely lost control, and even he has said that he doesn't plan on coming back from this. Today's episode was very good overall - it's left me eager for next week. Let's cross our fingers and knock on wood - for a good ending to the show that's captured our attention so well for so long. (Since my obvious first wish of Renee Walker surviving the season to be with Jack is kind of out the window, I'll settle for Charles Logan dying - painfully, preferably. xD)
  • Counting down the final seconds to the big finale, that ends in an ironic note.

Good episode. But I'm torn in two directions with the notion that the old Jack is back, or so it appears.

Backtracking a lil bit here.....

Two seasons ago, Jack comes back from his captivity with the Chinese a broken man. The man behind the attacks, or at least in the beginning of that season, wants to kill Jack out of revenge. Jack welcomes his upcoming fate, wanting a meaningful death. But once again, he steps up to the plate, saves the day and at the end of it all, finds himself unsure of his direction. He then after some time ends up in Africa seeking "redemption", and helping an old friend. But as usual, trouble finds him or at least crosses his path once again. He ends up trading his freedom to fulfill a promise to his friend leading him to DC, to answer for his past "crimes." Jack finds himself once again at that familiar intersection where only he can save the day, fighting alongside and against a once trusted friend and ally. But when he becomes exposed to a bio-weapon, it appears his fate is finally sealed. He accepts the fate, receives forgiveness and peace from an unexpected friend. Only then his estranged daughter Kim drops back in his life and not ready to give up on him quite yet.

How's that for a quick summary of the last two seasons? It brings us to the beginning of this season in New York City. Jack is not only finally at peace, but appears to be a new and changed man. He's a proud grandfather, babysitting his granddaughter at Kim's apartment. And then he gets drawn back in like a fish to water. He tries to limit himself, he tries to leave, he tries to be honorable and for the most part he does. Only to keep going back out of his concern for Renee who also gets pulled in. So where are we now? After losing yet another person close to him, Jack once again finds himself immersed in the familiar torment he thought he left far behind. Sending him out for what he may say is justice, but border lining on revenge. I can understand his anguish and can most certainly see the pain in his eyes. The day before he was a proud grandfather, ready to move on, ready to have his second chance, ready to move to California, and ready to have peace. But he just can't seem to escape that fate of "being the only man for the job" and being that inevitable wild card that foils the plans of terrorism. Forgetting the countless of others he's killed or eliminated over the past 24 hours, in a 24 storyline or at this current moment, they're insignificant. But thus far, he's killed two on this quest for justice slash revenge, and Logan is now in his cross hairs. Will he be able to find peace again? Will he be able to go back to where he was before this started? Only time will tell.

And has anyone else noticed the "bittersweet irony" that the ultimate finale of this awesome show called 24, will have it's end on the 24th of May? Was that planned, or what?

Probably was. ;)
  • nervous about the final ending!

Soooo great! Logan's whimpering when Jack was after him....omg...I laughed so hard. Great acting! The whole ambush thing with Jack. Very disspointed that we didn't get to see him KILL the Russion with the poker.
    I can't believe the reporter did not HIDE the evidence.
    What I'm afraid of ...for the end....is that it shows Jack taking AIM at his final target and the screen will go black!!! So No ending. OMG.....I hope that's not what happens. I thought when the Sopranos ended that way it was genious. But in this case, sigh....just hope they have a better ending then a blank screen!
    Sure wish Logan was killed too.
    All in all a great and fun episode.