Day 8: 10:00 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 08, 2010 on FOX

• An underrated hour!!! Is much better than the others say!!!

This episode is truly intense and suspensfull. Specially in its last 15 minutes.
    Although this time, the events still being not very faster, the script has got a quality comparable with the best episodes from the really good seasons of the show, and the ending of this one leaves the audience at the edge of their seats and whith its heart pressure without control.

Also the episode helps the season to go up and not to fail again and it contains some moments which are so nerve cracking, like the fatal finale that includes Vladimir, Renee and Jack.

Overwall a so nice hour!.
  • Mini-Review: Things begin to spiral and become complex, and not just for Jack and Renee.

Dana Walsh: Well, Dana's new roommates sure didn't waste too much time getting to the evidence lockup and, just five minutes into hour seven, they arrive in their van and get to searching the building. Initially, it's a number game, with Dana on the phone giving the two security codes for each obstruction they run into. It gets old and repetitive fast, and, as Kevin and his friend sure aren't the sharpest ones, they screw up more than a few times in finding their prize. But, lo and behold… here it is, the shocker of the episode; no wait, the season: the police show up as soon as they are about to leave. Instead of finding a way to smartly maneuver around the cop, the clumsy couple delivers a serious beat down to the officer and then flee the scene. Things just keep getting worse for Dana and, as Arlo and Chloe continue to become more suspicious about her activities outside of work, it seems as if she'll have a hell of a lot of explaining to do when (not if) she's caught.

President Hassan: And he keeps getting crazier. As the day progresses into the later hours, Hassan begins to make his own transition. He's legitimately paranoid, and no one can go against him. Last week he had ordered for a man with him at the UN to be interrogated, yet apparently he knew nothing; he had no connection to the political outrage back in Kamistan. But Hassan can never be wrong. He needs answers, and he knows that someone is holding information from him. He pushes on, calling for the family of his confined party member to be held captive and even tortured. He is a determined man, and, though this side plot isn't as absorbing as it could be, it's always interesting to see someone spiral further into insanity.

David Anders and Company: Segei Bazhaev had quite some trouble with his sons last hour, ending with him killing the radiation-poisoned Oleg, and, for part of hour 7, he has to tie up those loose ends. A prayer service is called before Oleg is buried and Bazhaev has a heartfelt discussion with Josef, explaining that that every act he had committed in the last hour had been for his family. Admittedly, such a talk would have been more timely perhaps before he had shot his other son. But, finally, after much exposition, the two mob stories meet, with Vladimir giving Sergei a call. Unsurprisingly, it's about the nuclear materials, and Renee is closely by Vlad's side for the conversation, hopeful that things will play out accordingly. In a slight twist, things don't, with Sergei declining (and lying) to possession of any nuclear materials. Apparently, as he says, "No one deals in [that]." As the call ends, however, Sergei gets worried, making a call to a truck travelling through New York with the uranium rods and ordering him to pull over and stop. In short, Sergei isn't naïve, and he's not going to confirm criminal dealings such as these over the phone.

Jack and Renee: Yet again, the main plot continues to shine, with Vladimir's life brought to a satisfying conclusion. More on that later. At the beginning of the episode, Jack arrives at the Russian hideout and, from there, character interactions begin to get really interesting, save for the little talk Bauer has with Renee early on. Not even worth mentioning. Anyway, as Renee and Vlad attempt to find a seller of nuclear materials, things get more and more uncomfortable for the two, and their dark past becomes more and more evident as the hour progresses. When Vlad can't find anyone, she begins to plead for him to call everyone he knows again, determined to be successful and demonstrate that she can handle herself in the field. Vlad erupts, hitting her hard across the face and knocking her on the ground. Renee snaps, grabbing a knife and stabbing him repeatedly in the eye. It was a shocking moment that only got better, with Jack running into the room after hearing trouble and approaching Renee. Instinctively expecting someone else, she turns around and stabs Jack clean in the stomach, who, after a quick recovery pulls out the knife and throws it sharply at Lugo in the neck. And for the icing on the cake, he then proceeds to gun down the last of Vlad's crew. The highlight of the night for sure, such a moment more than made up for some disappointing moments early on, ending things on a memorable note.
  • Argh!

Dana. Walsh. Why? Think of what could be happening here? More Taylor screen time for starters!! Or more Jack screen time. Of course we all watch 24 for Jack; he's the hero after all... but he can't be in every single second of every ep... so it falls to the supporting charactors. Sadly, this year, a dissapointing bunch.
    I really miss season 7; we had Tony being all mysterious, Dubaku, Juma and Jon Voit in the horizon by this point. Now what do we have on the horizon? More Dana Walsh rubbish that I was prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to in the hope it has a purpose for the main plot, but it dosen't. Taylor getting farr too little screen time. Slightly uninteresting Russian baddies that I suspect will eventually have connections to Logan/Wilson. And Hassan being so damned well stupid and naive, which would be interesting had 24 not done this storyline a million times before.
    Its not terrible by a long shot; Jack still kicks ass, Chloe is amazing and I'm still loving CTU. But the pace really needs to pick up. This is an amazing show... if this is to be its final season lets not make it its weakest writers!!!
  • A considerable backwards step.

Traditionally, 24's '10pm - 11pm' slot is reserved for the kind of suckerpunch-packing episodes that floor you with their intensity, provide the perfect marriage of character drama and edge-of-your-seat plot development and contain the kind of jaw-dropping twists that'll have you reeling in disbelief for weeks on end. In season one, we discovered that ever-reliable Nina Myers was actually a mole. In year two, George Mason sacrificed himself to save millions as a nuclear bomb exploded in the Mojave desert. Year three, Salazar's attempts to secure a deal for the bioweapon were thwarted. And then, in subsequent years, we've had Airforce One crash landing, President Logan revealed as being a duplicitous, conniving SOB, orchestrating a terrorist threat within his own country and so forth. The legacy is a decidedly lofty one that sadly, it takes all of about ten minutes for Chip Johnannessen and Patrick Harbinson to utterly and completely annihilate.

To be fair, the primary reason for the success of previous '10-11pm's is their positioning within the season: usually, they come just after the mid-point, just as the show is about to turn the cogs of the narrative, and channel the plot in a new direction. Here, we're only seven shows into the season so perhaps it's inevitable that it doesn't contain quite the same level of unrelenting surprise and suspense as some of its predecessors. But still, that's no excuse for the laziness on display here. Undoubtedly the worst offender is the extraneous Dana/Kevin storyline, which continues to go absolutely nowhere of any interest. While it's still highly likely that Agent Ortiz will put an end to the man as soon as he cottons on to his missus's dodgy past, that moment shows no signs of appearing any time soon. Instead, we get to see how Kevin's robbery plays out in excruciatingly protracted detail. Far, far too much time is spent on this story, with the writers even injecting moments of realism to pad everything out... so the hapless criminals get the wrong case number because they mishear Dana, they engage in ludicrous water pistol fights, and so on. While such things are inherently welcome in 24, since the show purports to be representative of real time and could do with a bit more verisimilitude now and again, they only serve to irritate here because the last thing any of us want is to waste any more precious minutes on this God awful, pointless display of procrastination.

To make matters worse, on CTU's end, no one bats an eyelid at the fact that Dana keeps sneaking off, without any semblance of stealth whatsoever, to a dodgy back room, all the while conversing on her mobile (why is this allowed??!!) at a perfectly audible level so that everyone can hear her. Oh sure, Arlo thinks she's having an affair and Chloe at least acknowledges that something's up, but given the serious implications that such behaviour has had throughout the agency's history, you'd think someone would consider this a red flag. From a storytelling perspective, it's so tired it's untrue. Every single beat has been utilised countless times before, and consequently, it's a struggle to feel any sense of engagement with the narrative. It's as if the writing staff get together at the start of a season with a checklist of 'required elements' and simply construct their plot as a result. How about not, eh guys? How about throwing the rule book out of the window and starting afresh? Daring to do something more? Sometimes, what's comfortable isn't necessarily what's best.

Frustratingly, at times, it seems like Johnannessen and Harbinson know this. As with the past three episodes, Jack and Renee's undercover operation is undoubtedly the highlight of the hour. The reason? It dares to take the narrative in unexpected, and previously unexplored, directions. We've never really seen this kind of concentration on a regular character's emotional stability in the show before (with the possible exception of President Logan in season five). In a way, it contravenes the fundamental laws of 24 in that it doesn't propel the plot forward in itself. It's effectively a pause, a diversion, but thankfully, because it's so wonderfully written and such care is taken with the character represented, it works beautifully. It certainly helps that Annie Werschung is spectacular in every scene: even when she's basically demanding that Vladimir call people back, there's so much sincerity and so many layers to her performance that you feel like you could watch an entire episode of this and not tire of it.

Sadly though, even this previously untouchable strength is qualified in this episode by the incorporation of one of the most patently unbelievable moments in 24 history. Fine, so Renee lashes out at Vladimir when he becomes aggressive with her. I can even accept her brutal murder of the guy, repeatedly stabbing him in a sort of Psycho-induced rage, screaming "die! Die!" at him like some sort of possessed lunatic. She's disturbed, after all. What I struggle to forgive, however, is that after she stabs Jack in the chest, he manages to remove the blade and throw it directly into the jugular of an oncoming enemy Come on guys! Yeah, it looks cool and my God, it makes Jack seem so badass, but you've got to draw the line somewhere or else Bauer just turns into freaking Superman. Jack is supposed to be a hero we can believe in and aspire to, not one that's so far removed from reality that he's unattainable. He's even up and about within seconds too, without exhibiting any signs of pain whatsoever. This just detracts from the believability of the narrative and demarcates 24 as a television show while you're watching, rather than forty five minutes of dramatic escapism.

Similar problems dog the other narrative strands. Hassan's knee jerk reactions to his attempted assassination are now becoming tiresome, especially since he is basically suspicious of everyone in his inner circle and it's patently obvious to every member of the viewing audience that he shouldn't be. It's a bit of an eye-roller that his head of staff (or whomever he is) just so happens to be involved with his daughter too. We couldn't just be satisfied with the conflict produced by the inherent nature of the plot, oh no. Let's throw familial involvement in there too and make things nice and messy! And predictable, hopelessly predictable. She's going to protest to daddy when she finds out what's going on, he'll dismiss her, something bad will happen and he'll repent. Guaranteed. The other Presidential storyline is fairly ineffectual too: after showing promise by proposing the inclusion of a conference of delegates in the last episode, we start this one and it's all over! In fifteen minutes! They've all agreed to everything in fifteen minutes! That strike anyone as absolutely ridiculous? To make matters worse, Cherry Jones then blabs confidential information to the British Prime Minister in direct earshot of every other bleeding delegate! Take the guy into a separate room, for God's sake! Whisper! Anything! This is just poorly thought out but the episode suffers further for it. The only other strand worthy of note is the prospect that the 'dead son' will get a nice, undignified funeral, but for all this is nicely written, it's hardly enough to counter the disappointing nature of much of the rest of the plot.

Sadly for Johannessen and Harbinson, their attempt at a '10pm - 11pm' certainly doesn't live up to the legacy established in years past. This is a resolutely underwhelming episode, focusing far too much on pointless extraneous incident to seem worthwhile and even botching up those elements that play to the show's strengths. There are moments of brilliance and a number of strong scenes but unfortunately, they're subsumed by the laziness of much of the writing. At times, it really is difficult to care about any of what's going on and when you're praying for another snippet of Renee and Jack to come around so you can forget about everything else, you know there's something seriously wrong. A considerable backwards step; let's hope it's just a blip and not the beginning of a trend.
  • I am certain the correct security measures could have been placed, to ensure Renee didn't flip as far off as she did; gutting Vladimir times over until he suffered his death, then springing the last plunge in Jack.

What was Hastings thinking having Renee invest her life into a dangerous project like that again? He refrained from officially evaluating her capacity to get the job done efficiently without any mishap. I can tell you one thing, Renee's slip is on Hastings' tab. Jack tried to warn him several times of her condition and he just 'took it under consideration', which is all he seems to be doing lately.

Hastings is not capable handling his 'head' tasks, he seems to be flawed, lacking the necessary leadership skills. He should have taken full responsibility over Renee, other than leave her to hang for the dogs and ripped apart. Jack knew Renee on a close level, it was Hastings' job to listen to him and develop a plan B. Hastings was well willing to have Renee take a bullet and have some slim-ball roll over her for the sake of results, without any sense of remorse or empathy.

Vladimir on the other end of things came off as a pathetic business man. Did he truly believe calling around for the nuclear rods wouldn't wave some red flags. Bazhaev is obviously not a foolish man; having nuclear rods on US soil was incriminating to admit, would he truly admit it over the phone an make an actual deal. I believe that some kind of language code should have been implemented to make that scene more believable or to even add a sense of credibility that Vladimir wasn't that foolish. "Oh Vladimir, my friend I have the nuclear rods just tell me when and where, oh and no cops!".

Even CTU should have come up with a better plan to prove their competence in doing their jobs. They cannot even notice a defective employee. Dana Walsh gets away with too many things, given her tight job criteria. How is she able to hack into a camera feed and develop an access card for her ex in under an hour or so. I actually believed that Nick, Kevin's friend, was some sort of terrorist and deliberately knew of the location Walsh would send them to get something else other than money. I actually pictured Nick pulling the trigger on Kevin and leaving with what he wanted. I guess that was far-fetched, put I pegged Nick for the nut job he turned out to be. I felt sympathy for the security guard being stomped on like a piece of garbage by a crazy Nick. Where did Kevin pick him up anyway?

Walsh should have done a background check on Kevin's friend. She is the one in control of everything, if she were to have Kevin trapped in a situation he could not get out of, no one would believe anything he had to say, and she would have all the cards. So what is Walsh truly afraid of, and why wouldn't she talk to her fiancee about it (besides the fact that he is on a hostile mission), Walsh needs to talk to someone, even if it is the flirtatious Arlo Glass.

Everyone keeps giving Walsh the side eye, so why doesn't someone do something about her inefficiencies? Something obviously has her distracted. Glass believes that Walsh is having some sort of a fling, but does that really look like her meeting a lover, or her conferring with someone who is bad news, because they didn't cross that 'line' of infidelity. Glass should be the one crazy enough to run a facial recognition to see the identity of Walsh's love mate. Nothing is really being done there, and I was even surprised that Chloe wasn't curious enough to blurt out a 'so why have you been acting so weird?' That sounded like a typical Chloe awkward question, not so? Where has that Chloe gone, we only got a taste of her in the beginning with her standing up to Hastings, and that's about it.

My only concern now is Jack and what Bazhaev's men are thinking of doing with him. Jack is in serious danger and I am certain CTU could get some satellite glimpse as to where Jack was taken after her left Vladimir's hide-out. Everyone seems to be dying spontaneously and I would prefer for the death toll to be steady for a while. I actually fear that CTU would start thinking that Renee went crazy killing everyone, hiding Jack in the process. Ortiz looked at Renee as tough she had a mental breakdown; like she was asking where Jack was, as if she didn't know herself.

What's next? I believe CTU would find some way to get in touch with Jack and Renee would be placed under suspicion. President Hassan apparently is the one having the screws loose lately and I believe his wall will crumble, the more strict and erratic his decisions become. His daughter holds him in high opinion, but her relationship with Tarin Faroush could set her apart from him.

I still look forward to discovering whatever happened to Olivia (the President's daughter) and the President's ex husband. That situation would be an interesting one to focus on. Tony would also be an interesting topic, but his topic should be approached with caution, for fear of him coming off as too cliched.

These past two hours for me have been slow. A few twists and exciting turns, but not much development have been revealed, so I am hoping tat Jack could contribute to enlightening that. Poor Jack, wasn't he supposed to be with his family all now? It's sad the life he has to live, especially being exposed to hostile situations more than he should be. I am surprised that Jack survived after the plunge in the gut, that probably came off a a paper cut on his finger, compared to the more dangerous wounds he endured in his lifetime. Jack should be given an award for the risks he faced for his country. I have no idea how he could afford undercover operations, wouldn't someone recognize him overtime? The amount of identities he established could cost him an operation some day. "Hey Jacko, is that you?" then to have the operation blow over "I thought no one ever heard of you, the deals off".

Lexa Reviews

_____________________

Four and a half Stars

Grade B+
    _____________________
  • Pretty sub-par until the final fifteen minutes or so

I've noticed a somewhat disappointing trend so far in the eighth season of 24: the writers tend to pace each episode since the two night premiere so that the first half leaves us with little to care about and the second half suddenly erupts with violence, intrigue, intensity and twists. This is fine, but it leaves me wishing there was more substance to the earlier scenes. The first half of the episode was plagued with Dana scenes, which dragged the episode down, and a lot of phone calls being made that took up just about all of Jack and Renee's time.

Also, we get maybe two scenes an episode with President Taylor before she's shoved to the backburner in favor of Hassan and his vendetta against his own people. I'm all for character development with Hassan, but the writers really need to get Taylor involved in the show again. She was excellent last year and has been good with what she's been given so far this year.. but she hasn't been given enough.

The ending of the episode was superb; classic 24. From the moment Renee snapped and stabbed Vladamir, the episode suddenly perked up and kept an intensity that it brought right to the end of the episode. By the time it had ended, I was lamenting the fact that I'd have to wait another week to see what would happen.

While it's good that the episode ended good, the last few weeks have been filled with a LOT of filler scenes in the first half before giving away to a lot of great scenes in the end. They need to balance it out better if they want the show to be of high quality still. Not to say that the season is bad.. I just wish there was more of a mix between the slower moments and the fast-paced ones.
  • Jack tries once again to end the undercover operation but Renee persists. Dana tries to get her personal troubles out of the way. President Taylor struggles to work with Assad as he continues to crack down on dissidents.

At this point in the season, it appears that "24" has tried to do a little too much with multiple and complex storylines. This season it does not seem to have worked as well in the past. The storylines this season appear to be too drawn out. The writers try to get as much information in as possible and it makes the episodes a little more hard to follow. Cherry Jones, one of the highlights of the previous season, is hardly seen here. When a great character is given so little screen time, there is something that is not right.
  • Renee goes psycho and Jack pays a minor price for it!

This was in my opinion one of the best episodes yet. Slow moving in the beginning but it really picked up the final 20 minutes of the show. I am really loving this Dark Renee, and her scenes with Jack. I am definitely TEAM RENEE and am waiting for her and Jack to get together because in my opinion they are a perfect match. But I digress...Renee finally gets her revenge against Vlad and kills him after he tries to attack her again. Definite showing of some adrenaline pumping craziness with Renee accidentally stabbing Jack - and in true Jack Bauer fashion, right after it happens it takes him one flick of the knife to get Vlad's man in the throat then moves on to comforting Renee, wiping her tears as he tells her "you have me." 24, thank you for bringing Jack front and center into the action at the end of this episode. Just when you think the nuclear connection has been severed, Sergei's men show up to kidnap Jack...can't wait until next week!
  • The season still hasn't hit the next level

This season is becoming a study in contrasts. The season arc started a bit weak, mostly due to the inexplicable choice in subplots. While Jack's plot thread has been predictably strong, with plenty of layers to keep the audience happy, the remaining plot threads have been oddly mediocre or just plain horrible. It's good to see the writing staff planning things out ahead of time, as they did in the seventh season, but it doesn't matter much if the plans aren't particularly good.

Credit should be given to the evolution of the Jack/Renee storyline. Given the violent history between Vladimir and Renee, things were never going to end well. The extent of Renee's outburst, however, was a wonder to behold. When a knife to the eye socket is just the beginning of retribution, that's saying something. And Jack's lucky that she didn't aim a bit higher with that knife. That gut wound is nasty enough as it is. (Though it must be noted that Jack is still badass enough to pull a knife out of his gut and throw it into someone else's throat with barely a hint of hesitation!)

On the other hand, it's easy to see why Jack took the soft approach with Renee. Intentional or not, this is a good sign for Renee. Considering her established deathwish, she could have let Vladimir beat her to death. Instead, she unleashed hell on him. Deep down, Renee wants to live, and that's something that Jack (and others) can use to help her find herself again. Of course, without Jack to mitigate Director Hastings' inevitable overreaction to the evidence at hand, things are likely to get worse before they get better.

And that's why this main plot thread continues to work so well. It's not just about mindless action. The characters are operating out of a clear set of psychological motivations. Renee's issues, as the reflection of Jack's own experiences, carry more than enough weight to add tension to the mission. Hopefully the writers won't sideline her character with this latest plot twist.

As for the rest of the episode, it's clear that the writers are slowly but surely intending to build to something, but it's not clear if it will actually justify the time now being spent. There is some hope that the subplot of President Hassan's crackdown will go somewhere, and perhaps take a darker turn than many fans would anticipate. It would be interesting to see how the writers might avoid turning Hassan into a stereotype, which is a distinct possibility at this point.

On the other hand, some fans complained that the seventh season was all about pushing a liberal agenda, denouncing torture and other extreme methods in counter-terrorism. Many of those criticisms were unfounded; the point was to justify those methods within the context of the "24" state of play. Still, some wanted the show's early conservative slant to continue unabated, with no positive consideration of alternative political perspectives. (Anyone caring to dispute the conservative leanings of earlier seasons should listen to the commentaries and interviews on the DVD sets; it was hardly a secret.)

The portrayal of President Hassan could also be a thinly-veined commentary on policies of appeasement with hostile Middle Eastern governments. Hassan's initial sympathetic portrayal might have been meant to demonstrate how well dictators can hide their true stripes. While that would satisfy those who have no interest in any positive portrayal of Middle Eastern Islamic leaders (or anyone Arabic or following the Islamic faith, for that matter), it would be far more interesting to show how the sins and attitudes of the past can derail the best of intentions to find a new path. And if the purpose of the season arc is to demonstrate how the sins of the past may be rectified or redeemed, Hassan's current crackdown could give way to an earnest desire to make amends.

The same thing is true for Sergei and his son, and how it all comes down to doing horrible things in the name of trying to make things better for the next generation. The end result is just a perpetuation of the cycle, as the consequences fall on the shoulders of those meant to receive only the benefits. The problem is that while the thematic touches are there, it's just not all that engaging yet.

In contrast, Dana's subplot hasn't worked since the moment it began, and it's getting more and more annoying over time. At least Hassan's subplot is likely to intersect with the investigation in to the nuclear materials relatively soon, just by its nature. Dana's subplot doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to undermine the CTU side of the investigation. Which, realistically, is sometimes a necessary plot device, but when the subplot is boring and wastes the talents of a good actress in the process, it's infuriating.

One can only hope that these various plot threads will amount to something beyond their common thematic purpose. It was clear when Fahrad mentioned that the materials would arrive in about five hours that it was designed to give the writers time to move around the pieces on the board. Hopefully that means that the status quo will shift enough, and soon enough, to move the season to the next level.
  • Jack tries to pull Renee out of the undercover operation with Vladimir, but Renee tries to reassure him that she can get the operation done.

Again, like countless time in the last two seasons, we get 40 minutes of bla bla bla, pouet pouet, bla bla bla and then, an amazing 2-3 mins action sequence that just just blow us away to finally, go back to the bla bla bla pouet pouet.

The shot when Renee just stabbed Vladimir And Jack, then Jack took out the blade and then throw it to a bad guy. Wow, unpredictable, and my eyes just became wide open in excitement. That's what fans want from 24! Kick ass Jack killing people in all sorts of funny ways. Rather, we have the boring Dana over, over, overused plot line of the big bad ex-boyfriend coming back to try and reclaim the girl, or take money from her. We all know he's not going away, he's going to stick around, even if he say he wouldn't and Dana is going to bring it down somewhere in the season.

Then there's Hassan, the fighter for democracy just becoming a dictator in an hour, arresting and ordering torture of men, women and child. This make absolutely no sense whatsoever. God I miss President Palmer, I miss the old simple 24 seasons.

For now, season 8 has been really underwhelming, the pilot was good, promising but it's now just plagued by boring overused side plots. I just hope that its going to change fast, 24 is an old show, it needs to go back to the roots of Jack kicking asses, not some random girl dealing with her boyfriend.
  • Incredible episode: full of action, tension and twists. Very good acting.

Critics may say that 24 is a repetitive show. It is. But that's not necessary a bad thing as long as it keep me excited and interested. That is exactly what this episode was. We could see a lot of tension and development (spoilers ahead): finally Renee fight back Vladimir in what became a breathtaking scene. And after that her moment of intimacy with Jack was awsome. Finally, Jack taked hostage by the Russians: done before, but here in Day 8 makes sense and moves the story forward so it's okay. Presiden Hassan storyline is also becoming interesting because the writers are exploring the aftermath of the attempt on his life and the way this may affect the signing of the treatment. So far, this season rocks. It has been full of action, twists and emotion. I particullary point at the characters of Renee and Jack, their interactions and portrayals has been great. I want to see right now next week's episode.