Day 8: 5:00 A.M. - 6:00 A.M.

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 29, 2010 on FOX

• Warning! This episode is rated PG - it contains large doses of Patriotic Garbage.

I don't know weather American viewers froth at their mouths hearing President Taylor's patriotic monologue about the strength of the nation's values, or they get a kick out of the way Jack takes down a commando squad in the "True American Hero" style, but for the life of me I cannot explain why fans still go out of their way to give the show such high ratings.

Neither can I understand what motivates the show's writers to create such scenes and dialog. They know the show is watched worldwide, and surely they realize that while in the US hearing glorious patriotic speeches may please the audience, in other countries people might roll their eyes and feel sick to to their stomach of hearing the same egocentric propaganda in yet another form.

The whole escort scene was another story. I'll be honest, I watch this show for the political intrigue and the complexity and multitude of elaborate conspiracies. In the past, the action sequences where Jack singlehandedly takes on dozens of supposedly combat-trained terrorists or other "baddies" had always been the lowest points of the show. Its plot, the unexpected betrayals, double-agents and moles - those are the reasons 24 came to where it is (or used to be, to be more accurate). Not by showing off Jack's inhuman aiming and bullet dodging skills. That's just fluff, a bad taste, an uninspired filler aimed at pleasing the General Viewership, most of whom are angry teenagers yarning for some brainless action to feed their testosterone. Because unrealistic shoutouts are "cool", there is no way around it. And I agree - I like them too - but only when it is done with taste, when it fits in the context and not too over the top.

Very disappointing season thus far. In the remaining episodes of the season, it would need to do extremely well to send the series off the way it deserves.
  • Another week, another weak episode from the horrible eight season.

The downfall of 24 continues. In this ep, the president suddenly reappears after who knows how many hours, just to task Jack Bauer for a seemingly ordinary task. But guess what? At the same time there are bad guys at the government, and they want to give in to the terrorists' demands to hand over president Hassan. What a surprise. Then we get a couple of pointless scenes about what's right or wrong, before another huge action scene with lots of shooting - which was pretty much the only enjoyable thing. And the episode finally ends with the timer on the bomb starting to tick. My guess is that 15 minutes is just enough for Jack to make it to the car and disarm it in the next episode. I hope I'm wrong.

While Jack had been developed into a superhero in the past seasons, this year he has been just too good. He has pretty much guessed right every move the terrorists make. And of course, a possibly broken rib doesn't slow him down at all. And just a few hours ago, he was tortured by the Russians.

Starb--, err Dana Walsh is certainly better as a villain, but the storyline is just too incredible and about the hundredth repeat of the mole at CTU story. And no one at CTU suspects anything (except Jack of course), they just lost the satellite video feed for a few seconds... Overall yet another weak episode that manages to reuse storylines from the past seasons. They might have worked previously, but a large part of 24 is the surprise element. As the writers have run out of new or good ideas, it really is time to end the show - hopefully on a high, though it will be quite a mountain to climb after such a horrendous first half of the season.
  • Here we go....

Well, Nothing new again on this episode. I know it's hard to write "new" fresh plots but this is really getting old. The most IRRITATING moment of the night was when the President gave her sickening speech on why she wasn't going to turn Hassan over to the terrorist. Pleaseee! So we finally gave in to the terroist..at least we don't have hundreds of thousands of DEAD AMERICAN civilians! On top of that making the land uninhabitable for 100 plus years. She did say "who's to say they wouldn't set of the bomb even if they got Hassan" Well...I sure as hell would have taken that chance and turned him over. Enough of my preaching. Just another example of 24 being politically correct. There were several little things that bugged me...(when they turn around in the tunnel to go back to the UN and it shows them "walking briskly") omg...why weren't they running like hell??? Even before we saw the previews for next week....we KNEW they were NOT going to set off the bomb. Not liberal hollywood. The OLD 24 might....but not these days.
    So there was NO tension at all.
    24 STILL is my favorite show. I love "some" of the characters. Looking forward actually to next week and Jack's interrogation of Dana...I just can't imagine how they're going to fill the rest of the season. It can't get any worse...omg..I shouldn't type that ....because it has..Strange when 24 comes on now I don't even think of Jack...they've screwed it up so badly....but I'll keep watching and hoping the writers really DO FINALLY get some balls and surprise us ...like the old 24!!!
  • 24 is dying a slow and very painful death right before our eyes... but at least we've only got eight more weeks to endure it.

Hold the phone. Stop the presses. Cancel absolutely everything. The unthinkable has happened. After weeks of unrelenting prayer, wishing on every star that was even remotely visible in the night sky, someone, somewhere has sat up, took note and granted an entire nation of television viewers their utmost desire. Yes, that's right boys and girls, Nurse Jackie has been renewed. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord! Another year of nondescript, bog-standard hospital drama is on the horizon! We're positively wet with anticipation and... oh, who am I kidding? I can't keep this charade up any longer. The real reason we're bouncing off the walls like a four year old on Ritalin is that the big-wigs over at FOX have finally come to their senses, seen past the six figure sums that they're regularly raking in, and decided to put 24 out of its misery. For good. Period. Yes folks, you got it, this time it really is over. Except for the possibility of a movie like, a year or so down the line, but let's not dwell on that right now. Fact remains, we got what we wanted (or at least, around 70% of the show's remaining viewers did, at any rate). Watching this once extraordinary and pioneering programme fall so inelegantly from grace has been a frustrating and depressing experience, and so to know that we only have a further eleven lazily written and dramatically redundant hours to go before the curtain is well and truly closed is something of a relief.

It's certainly no surprise to find that '5am - 6am' continues to take a long, protracted slide down the inexorable downward spiral that 24 has embarked upon since the beginning of the year. Following last week's truly abominable howler of a cliffhanger, in which the writing staff effectively lobotomised the show by turning DanaJenny into another in a long line of utterly pointless CTU moles, this episode makes a half-hearted attempt to create something logical and believable out of it... and unsurprisingly, fails miserably. Since the notion that she has actually been in league with the terrorists since hour one is so fraught with plot holes and inconsistencies that there really is no way to salvage it, the writers choose to avoid addressing the problem in any direct way, and instead merely insert a throwaway line of dialogue in which Sackhoff mutters something about 'preserving her cover'. Presumably, this is meant to imply that DanaJenny is more than simply Samir's pawn and that she's been loaned out, or something, by whomever is her boss. And perhaps if this wasn't exactly the same story that Nina Myers was granted all those years ago, it may have been remotely passable. As it is, it's just tiresome, lacking any semblance of originality whatsoever. Things only get worse when we see Duplicitous Dana in action, telephoning Samir in the middle of the main CTU operations room, making barely-hushed comments under her breath that pretty much reveal her activities, darting her eyes every which way but loose and looking horrendously suspicious in the process. Honestly, this is supposed to be covert? Really? Are they trying to imply that she's useless at her job? Or is this simply another example of incredibly poor execution? Given that she actually gets away with talking to her partner in crime in the hallways as people walk by and no one even bats an eyelid, my money's certainly on the latter. The thirty second blackout is even worse: would an undercover operative really initiate a shut down just as the good guys are about to close in on their targets and then magically boot everything up just when they were clear? Would it not strike said operative that such a manoeuvre may, you know, seem a little suspect? Rather too convenient? And why is it so difficult for the writing staff to come up with something that doesn't insult the intelligence of every single individual watching their sorry excuse for a show? God!

As if in response to this mediocrity, Katie Sackhoff well and truly hams it up here too, delivering every line in supposedly sinister and hushed undertones that serve only to signpost her duplicity. Seriously, the way she's going on, there might as well be a neon sign above her head that reads 'I'M DODGY, ME!' Sorry to have to break this to you Kate, but playing a bad guy does not automatically give you license to overact, to break out the thespian in you and start cackling like a mad (wo)man. Someone really should tell that to Mykelti Williamson too, whose portrayal of Hunchback Hastings continues to be about as believable as George Bush's reasons for going to war with Iraq, and quite possibly reaches its ultimate nadir halfway through this episode when he is forced to deliver one of the most horrible lines of dialogue in the history of scripted drama. It's almost tempting to feel sorry for the poor bloke when he struggles and falters over "Madame President, I'm sorry to have to tell you... I can no longer guarantee the safety of Manhattan." Seriously, guys? Is this the best you can come up with? Since when was anyone able to 'guarantee' the safety of an entire city, anyway? Ack! Given that this is truly abysmal in itself, the scene becomes utterly, utterly cringe worthy since it would take an actor of, say, Kiefer Sutherland's calibre to make anything even remotely decent out of such a line. Williamson just cannot cut it, and as a result, the viewer is left face palming in embarrassment.

Unfortunately, the crappiness doesn't end here. Oh no. There's plenty more where that came from, as the writing staff see fit to bring President Taylor and her entourage back into play and in so doing, regurgitate yet another over-used and frustratingly redundant plot line from years past. Not content with having Rob Weiss get all worked up for no good reason at all as Hastings gives everyone a status update (does he really need to voice every possible counter-argument at all times?), Katz and Gansa proceed to siphon a highly complex political debate into a few one-dimensional character husks, the most notable of which is the annoying d**khead from Fringe's first season, seen here playing a military general. Now, admittedly, the scene in which the cabinet is gathered and Taylor makes her grandiose speech is actually quite enjoyable in parts. There is a welcome smattering of verisimilitude to amplify believability and Cherry Jones does a relatively impressive job with what she's given... until the dialogue turns hyperbolic, the music builds to a dodgy crescendo and we get whacked over the head with a highly unsavoury bout of nationalism. Still, we can look past that; hell, we can almost forgive the fact that Rob and Ethan manage to assemble everyone in ten short minutes, and that Samir manages to speak directly to the President, just like virtually every other villain in 24 history. What is unforgivable, however, is the story that plays out in the aftermath of this sequence. The coup launched by the General and Weiss is the same story we have seen season after season after season, as some trumped up right winger disagrees with the stance that the Commander-in-Chief takes and takes it upon his or herself to work behind his or her back to rectify 'the problem'. It happened last year with Olivia, in season six with the officials in Wayne Palmer's cabinet, and it dates all the way back to David Palmer's stint in office when Mike tried to get Alan Dale to oust his beloved friend. Internal plotting against the President is old hat; it's as dated as the presence of a mole in CTU and frankly, it cripples the viewer's investment in the show.

And as this narrative progresses, perhaps inevitably, things only worsen. First, there's the fact that Weiss and the General manage to enter Ethan's office without arousing even the slightest hint of suspicion, despite the fact that there are many people milling around outside, and that they actually go out of their way to shut the blinds. To be fair, this is something of a nitpick and could arguably be forgiven if it weren't for the atrocity that ensues in its wake. When Ethan barges in on their duplicitous plot, Katz and Gansa take perhaps the most ludicrously transparent route imaginable in creating a stall for time and have him suffer a heart attack at the most crucial moment in the entire exchange. Fine, we established in an earlier episode that he is suffering from significant health problems, but come on! Now? Really? This is wholly gratuitous tension, grafted on for its own sake, and as a result, the viewer is set apart from it, laughing at the absurd lengths to which the 24 writers will go in an attempt to stretch out their relatively wafer-thin plot. The idea that the General would propose leaving him in his current state until Hassan is cornered is also preposterous and just reinforces the utterly useless and one-dimensional nature of his character. So far so good, then... but of course, we must not forget about Jack's inclusion in all of this. Yes, Katz and Gansa unleash the most transparent plot device in the history of transparent plot devices this week by having President Taylor personally request that Bauer be taken out of the main action (you know, where he's most useful) and escort Hassan and his family to safety for no good reason whatsoever. Well, other than to manoeuvre the plot so that our central protagonist plays a main role in what ultimately becomes the focal point of the episode. Yup, way to telegraph your entire story there, guys. It is immediately obvious that something significant is going to happen to Hassan as a result, and as soon as the cabinet conference occurs, the viewer is able to accurately predict pretty much everything that happens in the remainder of the hour. Absolutely brilliant, eh? Sigh.

Thankfully for both the credulity of the writing staff and the sanity of everyone watching, things do improve somewhat towards hour's end, as Jack, Renee and the Hassan family get down to business and engage in a superbly choreographed and visually orchestrated gun battle that really amplifies the dramatic tension and conveys a genuine sense of unease and peril. Once again, Milan Cheylov directs the sequence superbly, this time making excellent use of distortion and unusual camera angles to keep the viewer on edge. Unfortunately, the whole thing is tainted somewhat by the manner in which we arrive at this point. Not only is the transparency of the writers' plot manoeuvring a crippling factor, but we also have to endure several patently absurd logic leaps that are evidently supposed to highlight just how wonderful, amazing and all-round superhuman Jack Bauer is (emphasised earlier, actually, when he absurdly brushes off the sound medical advice he's given after being shot in the chest by a sniper rifle) but instead, just prove categorically ridiculous. Remarkably, Jack manages to finger out that 'something's not right' within two seconds of calling the Air Force Base in an attempt to find Kanin. Really, that's the length of time he gives the Presidential staff to find one man in what one imagines must be a rather large building. WTF? And for all the phone call between Bauer and Weiss is actually quite realistic, making good use of a clumsy connection and an almost-expletive, the idea that Jack would be able to deduce what is actually going on from this is just preposterous. Weiss has clearly been established in earlier episodes as a difficult man with a short temper, and the fact that Kanin called him and then isn't answering could mean any number of things. Sure, it doesn't in reality, but would it really hurt to have Bauer be wrong for once? To have him foxed by the bad guys? If anything, it would be an unexpected plot development that would, at the very least, prove moderately entertaining for a few moments. It's little things like this that could so very easily fix the fundamental flaws of the show, and it's frustrating to think that the writing staff simply are not capable of delivering them.

So, another week goes by and another lacklustre episode of 24 is forced down our throats, packing virtually no punches at all and serving only to remind us of how far removed the programme is from its heyday. '5am - 6am' features virtually nothing we haven't seen in the show before, and to make matters worse, the regurgitations are cheap knock-offs of former glories. We're sick of moles in CTU; we've had enough of unnecessary and unsuccessful White House coups against the President; and we're done with Bauer being a superhuman adrenaline machine who can survive being snipered and infer the true status of events from only the most minuscule of data. Yes, there's a few good action sequences in here and sure, Annie Werschung continues to out-act everyone as Renee Walker, but frankly, it just isn't enough. 24 is dying a slow and very painful death right before our eyes... but at least we've only got eight more weeks to endure it.
  • Still far too predictable

And so it goes. The writing is now officially on the wall. For all the talk about a last-minute reprieve from NBC, it's since been revealed that there were no lengthy talks or offers. NBC never gave much consideration to the notion of saving "24" from cancellation. And frankly, it's probably time for the series to go.

It's not that Jack Bauer has lost his place as a pop culture icon, or that the concept has worn out its welcome. It's simply the fact that the writers have been unable to find enough variations on a theme to justify the expense of a series with an ever-increasing cost. The writers' strike of 2008 forced the writers out of their comfort zone, and the seventh season was all the stronger for it. But it's clear that the writers returned to comfortable tropes and bad habits this season.

Moving to NBC was not going to change that, but moving to a film franchise mode could. For one thing, the current writers aren't the ones taking the first stab at a screenplay. This should bring new ideas and approaches to the table. Condensing a 24-hour story into roughly 2 hours provides an opportunity to cut out the dead weight and ridiculous subplots. In fact, if nothing else, "24: Redemption" wasn't a bad start in terms of considering how to put together a "24" feature film. (The main issues with the film, such as the blatant product placement and Howard Gordon's decision to mine real-world tragedy for cloying sentimental value in his script, could easily be remedied.)

The main challenge to any "24" film will be context. While originally meant to be a more varied concept, "24" quickly became the examination of Jack Bauer's epic journey of self-realization. At this point in the series, Jack has come back from the systematic loss of everything that he held dear, with much of that loss self-inflicted. Jack is on the cusp of finding balance. If the writers can bring this season to a close with Jack at relative peace, bringing the journey to a fitting close, then the film franchise can proceed without the need for too much reference to the past.

Of course, that implies that the writers are capable of digging themselves out of the narrative hole they have dug. "24" is now trying to reframe itself as an epic coming to a rousing finish, but they are stuck with the scenario they envisioned when the season began. There will no doubt be some revisions to the final scripts, but the bulk of the season is still going to play out as originally planned.

In terms of this episode, this does not bring much in the way of hope. Dana's plot continues to be the weakest link. Now that she has been revealed as a mole within CTU, her personality has changed dramatically. While some might fault the actress, it's clear within the context of each and every scene that she is following the expectations of the script. And once again, it begs the question: if she is working for someone with enough clout to give her a new identity and the necessary credentials, how could Kevin have possibly found her so easily? And why wouldn't she simply contact her terrorist benefactors to eliminate Kevin in the first place?

Speaking of which, based on the dialogue between Dana and the terrorists, it seems rather obvious that there is someone else behind the scenes. Otherwise, why would Danas chide the terrorists about the extent of her support? If the terrorists can push Tarin into becoming a suicide bomber, then they would have similar authority to order Dana to break cover, if she was working for them. There's someone else in the mix.

The question is whether or not the real "Big Bad" is going to be revealed as someone from Jack's past or a previous season. If the writers are sticking with their established philosophical theme for the season, that of "learning from sins of the past", then the "Big Bad" should be someone familiar. Unfortunately, there aren't many good choices.

This episode finally brought the Taylor administration back into the story, including a ham-fisted patriotic speech by Taylor herself. But it quickly became an exercise in frustration. Granted, characters always tend to underestimate Jack Bauer, but wouldn't someone like General Brucker know better? As soon as he scoffed at the idea that a wetworks team could easily handle someone like Jack, the result was inevitable.

Of course it was going to come down to Jack, Renee, and the Hassan family. (Never mind that Renee's presence was accepted by the Secret Service agents with remarkable ease.) And of course, the hit squad that managed to take down a slew of agents trained to protect the president at all costs was going to be taken down by Jack Bauer. "24" often plays fast and loose with Jack's heroics, but this was a bit much.

A great many diehard (and apparently very forgiving) fans will point out that many of the criticisms of this episode are common elements of "24", and that it may be unfair to point them out specifically now. While this may be true to some extent, there is such a thing as momentum. When a show is going strong, flaws are more easily dismissed or forgiven. When a show is faltering, the flaws are glaring. The problem with this season of "24" has been the lack of anything substantial to draw attention from the missteps.

Overall, this episode continued along the same lines as so much of the season, with a great deal of poor characterization and predictability. There is some indication that things are about to get more complicated, as the season shifts towards the resolution phase, but with the impending end of the series now a factor, that may not be a good thing.
  • President Hassan decides to turn himself to terrorist to save lives in US.

Another entertaining episode. Following last week's episode, Jack is trying to thwart the terrorists attempt to get Hassan.

Omar realizes that the terrorist will detonate the the bomb in US unless their demands are made. You can debate whether Omar's decision was bravery or stupidity, but it was of course going to be the focus of the episode.

As was Weiss and the General's eventual outing by Ctu and President Taylor. This of course was not predictable because you would think that following Olivia's stupid actions last year that nobody would try to go against the President. However, realistically speaking this makes sense because politics and people in the military at high level tend to disregard other people's lives as long their own objectives our met. I also like that President Taylor held her ground throughout all this, where as other President's (Logan)wouldn't think twice about handing a world leader over. Her character has been believable, and never faltering to take a stand, even when the opportunities have been there to diminish her reputation.

By now Dana's betrayal has been uncovered, but it was fun to see her getting rattled, realizing that the charade is over.

All in all a solid episode.
  • '5am-6am' continues the joyous ride down predictable boulevard and contrite lane with it's regurgitated plot lines and cheap thrills.

'5am-6am' continues the joyous ride down predictable boulevard and contrite lane with it's regurgitated plot lines and cheap thrills. Katz and Gansa do a bang up job this hour driving the viewers to insanity with this DanaJenny mole nonsense, first to say that there are more holes in this plot then a piece of Swiss cheese, they insult the viewers intelligence by inferring that she has been working with the terrorists since hour 1 then have her blatantly make a call to Samir in the operation center right in front of everyone?! Oh Come on. Hey writers you must have had amnesia because what made Nina Myers such an awesome mole and that reveal so shocking is because we slowly got to know and trust Nina just like Jack had for the seven years prior to Day 1 but oh no can't leave that tried plot device alone let's just go to Mole's 'R Us and pick us a nice sell out with no like-ability then just cause we cornered ourselves into a wall magically DanaJenny is a mole cause now we have no further narrative to explore with this god awful character.

Now let's move on the even more contrite that is the inevitable coup orchestrated by Weiss and General Douchebag. Again could not agree more with screenagedkicks this overused plot thread needs to be put out to pasture and skinned!! The coup from season 2 was expertly done and crafted compared this crap seriously I'm starting to concur with screenagedkicks that the writers have a checklist they mark off with each passing episode. Hey here's a thought how about we actually have an outline for the season and craft out an engaging plot without reverting to old tired ideas oh but no that would be too hard for our pea brained professional script writers!

Re-watching this season three years after watching it air originally pains me to realize that 24 went downhill at a record pace never to rehabilitate itself to it's former glory. Day 5 was the truly last great season of 24 only to be slightly redeemed with Day 7 then hit the pavement hard leaving a wake of blood and destruction in it's path.
  • Threat is getting bigger

So.. the nuclear material is on Manhattan and people are losing their sense.. I mean.. we have avoided presidential usual storylines much of this season and now it is back - her administration working against her. I did not liked that development on that building there.. but on the other hand, it did gave us quite exciting action on the tunnel. That smoke and Renee and Jack working together.. it was great.

One more thing that was little annoying was Dana Walsh (surprise). I cannot understand how that man never stopped calling her. They managed without being interrupted until now.. But.. yes.. more tension, more suspicious on CTU
  • Keeping the great level and beyond...

After the transitional but necessary installment, with its ending twist, i´ve looking forward this episode.
    And my review is: the final season of 24 stills being on the track keeping the great level gained by the previous episodes, improving at the same time, giving us excellents tension moments and going beyond our expectatives!.
    I hope that this level will continue during all the last 10 episodes we have to see. Because, after all that episodes, we won´t see Jack Bauer again.

The show, in one hand, had to finish due to it´s going to be repetitive and a bit predictable.
    But, in the other hand, the show stood being fantastic and engaging, and all of us know that we will miss so much the federal agent who change the television forever!.

Superb episode, with a cliffhanging ending!.
    I´m so nervous.
  • Great episode, but i wanna ask u something

This isnt a real Review, its a great episode. But the start of that episode reminded me of how sad i was with last episode. Dana suddenly working for the terrorists, killing her investigator ? What the hell, seems like sucked out of the finger :-( and then she kinda tries to stop zoe from getting the computers back online (her advise: its too dangerous) and like next scene she calls her terrorist buddy and tells him shes gonna guide him out of danger..(for which she needs the computerstuff) HM??? Or did i miss something What do u think of that?
  • 11 hours and counting.. (Spoilers)

So each week recently I've been reviewing each episode. & It week it does seem to get better. This week continues that trait.

A grave situation. Does President Taylor give up President Hassan, and the peace treaty, or will she turn him in to stop New York from being blown up..

I don't care if some people hated it, I loved it. It's setting something really big up. Yes, so what the bomb threat has been used atleast 3 times now in 24, but its never happened in New York, so who cares. Its still interesting to watch and great entertainment. The stakes are higher this time, Hassan & peace for New York City!

This episode has alot of action and Jack Bauer. Even Hassan killed someone and saved Jack's life. It showed the problems faced within the government, and even made Dana Walsh's character abit more interesting.
    I have read criticisms on Jack knowing what the terrorists are going to do, but isn't that his job. Hasn't he been on the job for 8 years, surely he does know by now what the terrorists E.T.C are gonna do next. & If the show is repeating itself, he would also know from previous experience.
    Look me having a rant again. Haha.

seriously though these final episodes look great. The plot seems to be moving quickly. The stakes risen again. 24 my just go out with a bang. Probably literally..
  • The IRK manages to smuggle the fuel rods into Manhattan. They contact President Taylor and demand President Hassan in exchange for not detonating the bomb. President Taylor refuses, but members of her staff try to get her to reconsider.

We have yet another action packed, thillling episode of "24". It's almost fitting that the show starts to get exciting and very entertaining right after Fox announced the show's cancellation. Jack and Renee make a great team once again in this episode. However, this episode is not perfect due to some flaws. Ethan Kanin has a heart attack at just the right time for President Taylor's enemies. I had a lot of trouble buying that. Dana regularly chatting on her cel phone and CTU doesn't catch on? Regardless, I will be watching until the end. A good, but flawed episode.
  • el classico 24....

The most amazing episode so far. the rob weiss twist was unforgetable real classic 24. Hassan and the shoot out were perfect as if things can't get any tight the bomb starts ticking away man i gotta say 24 is going out with a big bang theory there is absolutely nothing gonna ruin this now What I also I liked was the preview to the 2-episode night on Monday, 4/5. I was amazed at how the last 10 episodes of 24 are going ones that will be action-packed and will keep you on the edge of your seat. these will be the best and last 10 hrs of the most innovative show of the past decade,,,,
  • Breathtaking action and suspense: this is 24 at its best (spoilers).

What can I say about this episode? It was brilliant. The tension and the action were amazing.

First: president Taylor not giving in to the terrorist demands. Her speech (even if it was a little too much patriotic) was touching, and the acting was perfect. Every time president Taylor is on scene she just steals the show. Second: of course, Jack Bauer. Amazing as always. He has this thing to know when things are wrong. He is the only that can take out 6 men fully armed in a plausible way. So, this episode really excited me. I can't wait to the next week two hour event. PS: I really hope Ethan Kanin will be ok. I love that old man.
  • The 8th season is simply getting better and better!

A slow start to the season completely warrants an explosive finish to the last half of the season. There were several moments in this episode which really stepped up to the next level of 24. In order (with most compelling moment being last):

1. CTU Chief Hastings delivered a speech to his staff early on in the episode. Mixed with good dialgoue, great patriotic music in the background and a decent delivery from Hastings, I could feel even Hastings' scenes stepping up. 2. President Taylor making the decision to not handing over President Hassan. When she stood up and raised her voice and talked about how they must stand back up, in a worst case scenario, and that this is "what we do" I felt a chill down my spine. She blasted her Cabinet and it was a wonderful scene. 3. The betrayal in the White House. It was inevitable that something was going to go wrong when Jack began escorting the President. This twist was classical 24 and fit in perfectly with Americans doing "the best for the country."

4. President Hassan getting involved in the "action" was fantastic. I loved the idea of a President saving Jack's life. 5. The best for last! Jack and Renee working together as a team is just oh so fantastic! The use of smoke and out smarting the enemies and the genuine gun battles with Bauer, Walker and the covert ops team was extremely enjoyable to watch and full of tension.

After picking up to such a wonderful level of 24, I doubt it is going to lose momentum in the last 10 episodes. With a double episode on the way next week, I think the writers have prepared season 8 to really make us remember the greatest show ever, in style, and forever.
  • A lot of action = slightly more exciting episode of 24

It's funny what'll happen when you discover an old friend or family member is passing away: sometimes, you're more inclined to forgive them for any mistakes they've made and make amends with them for their flaws, however fatal they may be. 24 is sort of like that at this point. It's been announced recently that 24 would not be returning for a 9th season. That's right, eight years of Jack Bauer killing terrorist after terrorist seems to be about as much as Fox is willing to air. I admit that I take in this news with a heavy heart; 24 was the first serial drama show that I started watching. It was the first show to draw me into the world of television. Hearing that it's being canceled upsets me, even though it's clear the show has reached a point when it just needs to end. Thankfully, the writers seem to have constructed this season to end on a strong note, and I'm sure after a few minor edits to the scripts, the finale of the show will be powerful and memorable, something that can't be forgotten.

Tonight was another thrilling installment of the show, the third one in a row, which is rare for this season. So far, we've been bogged down by pointless storylines, weak writing, some unfortunate focus on characters that are less than interesting and a tepid pace that has rarely picked up. Luckily, the last few episodes have been superb in combining revelations, action and intrigue together. The episode focuses on President Taylor informing Jack that she wants him to escort Hassan and his family to an underground base, where he'll be safe from the terrorist threat against New York. Back at CTU, they attempt to track Samir, Taran and the nuclear rods, but Dana makes it difficult for them. In the White House, Rob Weiss, the chief of staff, makes life even more difficult for everybody by teaming up with a corrupt general who wants to kidnap Hassan in order to comply with Samir's demands. The general believes that he's doing the right thing, while Weiss is still not confident.

The episode was certainly not without its weaknesses. This Dana Walsh plot is still stale, mostly because we're bombarded every season by moles, double agents and good guys who turn out to be bad guys. It certainly was a surprise that Walsh was working with the terrorists, but not a "Oh my God, that was such a game-changer" kind of surprise. More like the "Oh my God, please tell me they didn't do THAT again" type of surprise. Fortunately, there was plenty to love as well.

I was extremely happy to see President Taylor make a return, and not only did she bring the acting chops but she was given a killer monologue to give to the Joint Chiefs, rallying everybody the way that David Palmer used to in the most dire of situations. Of all the Presidents, President Taylor comes the closest to delivering the intensity and bravado that Palmer could bring. Everybody else has been sub-par at best, although Charles Logan was great as well.. I just see him as more of a villain than anything. Taylor was missing for nearly four episodes, much too long for a character who ended up winning an Emmy award last year for her performance. Keep her at the forefront -- that's my advice to 24 writers. It'll help the quality of the show if they can focus on the strong aspects of the show instead of the weak ones.

For anybody who enjoys their action scenes, there was plenty to love in this episode. The final section of the episode is dedicated to Jack, Renee, Hassan and the rest of the White House staff attempting to fight the men that Weiss the the general sent after Hassan. The last three episodes have substantially boosted the number of terrorists Jack has killed so far, and it also acted as an adreneline boost. Any more of these in the next few episodes, and we'll be overdosing before we know it.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the nuclear rods. Part of me hopes the bomb does actually go off so that the stakes will be higher than ever and so we'll be able to transition to another plot knowing that this whole nuclear rod thing hasn't been introduced only to erode before our very eyes. It's nice for Jack and everybody to save the day, but come on: let's see another event like Season 6, where the nuclear bomb went off in Valencia. That was an incredible moment of the show, on par with some of their greatest moments. So far, Samir has been a disappointment, Taran has been occasionally great and the nuclear rods have been nearly non-existent in the midst of all of these other plots. Let the rods go off and let the stakes be raised. I guarantee the show will continue to gain momentum heading into its final episodes.

It's going to be sad to see one of my favorite shows leave television, but I'd rather see the show go out while it still has some dignity left instead of sticking around simply to annoy everybody at the end of every season on whether or not it'll return (I'm looking directly into your eyes, Law and Order). At least 24 will end on a high note, based on the last few episodes and especially this one. And with Charles Logan making a return, how can these last few episodes NOT be good?
  • That was the last time Jack would say, "The following takes place between 5am and 6am"... sadly.

24 is one the most innovative shows ever created. It changed television for ever, and created one the greatest cult followings ever. This review is coming from a die hard 24 fan... so yes, its bias.

This is the last season of 24, sadly, but I have come to terms with its end. It had a great run and it will be missed. Back to the episode. It was GOOD, compared to the rest of the season. Jack is escorting President Hassan to safety, the terrorists make a demand President Taylor will not meet, and Dana continues to help the terrorists. What makes this episode better than previous episodes? Its got a forward moving story, and we actually have a plot we are interested in. Dana does an alright job as a mole, but we get a hint that she is working for someone "larger" than these terrorists; She is only helping them. Jack is asked by President Taylor to escort President Hassan and his family to safety. The terrorists demand that Hassan be turned over or they detonate the bomb. All the stories, except one, were exciting and I really enjoyed them. The episode was tense, suspenseful and all through enjoyable with Jack and the amazing action sequences. But one tiny problem... Why did Ethan Kanin have to have a heart attack? Everything else in the episode was perfect. Literally. Rob Weiss and General Bruckner wanting to go behind the presidents back was amazing, in itself. The scenario did not need any more suspense... it was already suspenseful. But sadly, this is the last season of 24, so I'm going to let it go. Anyone who keeps bashing the show, please stop. You got what you wanted, the shows ending, just let us true fans enjoy it while its here. Only 10 hours left of Jack Bauer, enjoy them. I know I will. Lastly, NEXT WEEK'S EPISODE LOOKS AMAZING! Watch the promo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLxIoLkLpbQ
  • Cue the clock: 24 is going out with a bang and this episode restored my faith in this.

Tonight my heart was racing. This was a feeling so familiar with 24, a feeling I hadn't felt all season until now. I applaud "5:00 A.M.-6:00 A.M." because of its display of character continuity and it's role as exposition in the hour before the potential explosion of a nuclear rod in NYC. What this episode did nicely was it placed characters, based on their beliefs that we've seen all season, into three teams: the patriots, the rogues and the terrorists. We know who the patriots are and we know who the terrorists are. What I did not expect were the rogues. I applaud the writers for introducing this group because when we as viewers are watching a battle of black versus white, we often forget about the shade of gray.

At the start of the season, I noticed the disagreements in the presidential cabin but I never thought these disagreements would amount to a rogue act. But this rogue act brought on a really intense battle with Jack Bauer where I honestly had no idea what would happen. I found my heart pounding because I had no idea whether they would capture Hassan and hand him over to the terrorists or be defeated by Bauer. That element of unpredictability makes for classic 24 material. When Jack defeated all but the last rogue agent, I felt my heart pound even more knowing what may or may not come.

In terms of individual characters, the viewer was reminded the core beliefs of each character. We were reminded that Jack Bauer and President Taylor believe in finding and defeating the terrorists without means of negotiation. We were reminded of Jack's loyalty to Chloe, and Chloe's loyalty to Jack, one which they've held for each other since season 3. We were reminded that despite President Hassan's marital and leadership shortcomings, he is a man of family and an honorable man who realizes how important the signing of this peace treaty is. We were reminded of Renee's burning desire to prove herself and to Jack and for the sake of her country. Going into the final hours of 24, we were reminded of who the heroes of season 8 really are at heart.

I have no idea whether the bomb will go off or not. After all, we saw a bomb kill thousands of people in season 6. I have faith that the writers can write an equally compelling storyline for either scenario or maybe introduce another scenario that we have never even considered. In it's later seasons, 24 has had it's share of surprises and disappointments. It's had it's cliches. But I have faith for these final ten episodes, we will be reminded of what 24 is all about and why we came to love it in the first place.