Day 8: 8:00 A.M. - 9:00 A.M.

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 12, 2010 on FOX

• If you want a happy ending, go watch Glee instead.

After last week's episode and the absolutely crushing death of President Hassan, I thought that we were out of the water for a little while and that this episode might flag in comparison. I was very wrong. This episode equalled, even bettered the emotional turmoil of last week, and was in my opinion exemplary in showing what 24 became famous for: that nobody is ever safe.

I often rely on TV.com to tell me how good or bad episodes of series are, so I am dismayed to see how poorly rated the episode is at no more than 8/10. I can only imagine that such ratings are either from people who are hanging on as best as they can to the (wrong) idea that this season is not as good as previous ones, or from those who wanted to see Jack and Renee to walk off into the sunset. 24 is one of the best shows on TV, because it refuses that tired old requirement for a happy ending - and this season has been the best example of that constant failure. Nothing has gone according to plan this season for the 'good' guys. And that is truly brilliant.
  • mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..... this is hard. Good and bad. But did they really have to kill Renee???

I actually thought this is the season where Jack gets some kind of rest from his somewhat turbulent past with CTU. I wanted to see him find some kind of peace. But ALAS that was not to be. why??? Renee just got killed!!! And naturally that should shoot Jack off the rails!

So why 8.5. Well ... as I'm sure a lot of people thought, Jack was to go out a great hero. Not on the run like the past, but peaceful. According to the Jack we know someone has to pay, and badly. I only acknowledge the writers ability to twist the expected storyline. I just hope they keep twisting it and not give us the usual Jack, the vengeful and law-breaking-under-pretense-of-doing-the-right-thing Jack we all know. That would not only be cruel, but will also be shallow on their end.

I always knew that Jack and Renee could hit it off. How many people in 24 ever had the capability to understand Jack as quickly as Renee? I mean sure she had her doubts about him. Remember the time she told Jack "I wanna know you feel something". A lot of characters were quick to dismiss Jack until he saved them. When they brought Renee at the beginning of this season I knew they were gonna hook up. I was wrong to assume that they'll both make it to the end of the season. It would have been cool to have the duo fighting side by side. it would have been a new and interesting side of the 24 series. But hey, it was still pretty good!!!
  • Most emotional episode of season 8

I dont know wh many of you didnt like this episode...OK of course i didnt Renee to die, i liked her a lot! She would be perfect for Jack. They both have suffered a lot, they have faced death, they have lost friends and family and they have gone through soooo much together.

I dont get why some of you say that they didnt have feelings for each other. Renee obviously started feeling things about Jack at the end of season 7 and so did Jack, because as we found out in the first couple of eps in season 8 he continually tried to get in touch with her after she was fired from the FBI. In season 8 their feelings come in the open very soon. Jack cuts a deal to help prevent the terrorists for Renee's sake, instead of going with his family in LA. He does everything he can to make sure she is ok and help her with the Vladimir situation.Also have you EVER seen Jack get so intimate with another woman before.??? He always hanged her and always found ways to touch her hand and make her feel safe... Actually all of this is crap...Theres no need to explain anything at all. You can tell if two people are in love with each other just by seeing how they look at each other..And if you re-watch the episodes you'll see that they are DEFINITELY in love with each other...

To sum it up Chloe getting promoted and Dhalia becoming president of the IRK were good developments, but the emotional climax of Renee getting shot, Jack rushing her to the hospital, and finaly JACK CRYING AND KISSING HER IN THE FOREHEAD was one of the most perfect moments of the whole 24 series....Thats why im giving 10!!
  • The writers show they don't even understand the purpose of the season

As often mentioned, the theme for this season has been "lessons of the past". Not just in terms of learning from past mistakes, but also knowing where the right kind of wisdom might be found. That theme has been eroding for quite some time, and with this episode, it's fair to say that the writers have once again gone completely off the rails.

In many ways, this is beginning to feel like the fourth and fifth seasons, when the story started off with a more complex philosophical underpinning and quickly devolved as the writers were forced, due to poor production management, to make up plot points as they went along. While Hassan's assassination is in keeping with the beginning of the season, as is the Russian involvement, almost everything else in this episode feels like a writers' room grasping for shock tactics.

And this is deeply unfortunate, because it didn't have to be that way. The writers were well on their way to providing Jack Bauer with a fitting and logical end to his character arc, at least in terms of the television series. This was supposed to be the end of his long recovery and restoration, after having lost everything and falling into a personal abyss. So why are the writers ripping everything out from under him again?

It's not even clever or necessary. If it was about justifying Jack's involvement in the final leg of the season, that had plenty of ways to do that without killing off Renee. For one thing, Chloe is now in charge of CTU, and she definitely feels like she's in over her head. So why wouldn't she call on Jack as the one person she knows will have her back? Especially knowing that he was once director of CTU and knows the ropes and current situation better than anyone?

For that matter, why kill Renee, when wounding her is perhaps even more effective in the long run? This will push Jack into some seriously dark territory, which makes for easy drama, but other than revenge, what is he fighting for? Most of the season, he was fighting for the promise of peace, which itself was symbolic of fighting for the right to live with his family, finally out of the game. Is that even a viable option now?

Never mind that the idea of promoting Chloe to interim director of CTU makes little to no sense. Granted, the organization was all but gutted for a few years, and most of the truly experienced agents have long since been killed, but Chloe's skill set has been support, not leadership. It already feels like the writers are trying to convince the audience that this moment and this crisis will bring out the kind of confident leader that Chloe always had the potential to be, but it just doesn't compute.

And that makes it feel like the writers may be trying to push the story more in the direction that the seventh season always suggested: a restored CTU with an older, wiser Jack Bauer at the helm. The problem is that it would make a lot more sense if Jack were in charge of the entire CTU operation, not just one branch, in terms of progression. Yet there is now a power vacuum in CTU and all instincts point to the notion of the writers setting up the future film franchise by putting Jack in a recognizable position of authority.

Even if Jack doesn't end up in a position of authority within CTU, and the writers somehow justify his return to his family in some measure of peace, it still feels like they went too far in justifying Jack's involvement at this juncture. As already mentioned, Chloe could have logically called on Jack to help, now that the peace conference is back on the table. In fact, Jack's entire reason for leaving was the notion that the conference was canceled. One call from President Taylor, Chloe, or even Dalia Hassan, and Jack and Renee would have been right back into the mix.

Instead, the writers had to ensure that Jack had a personal reason, which meant killing Renee. And that meant having the Russian side of the conspiracy go full-out stupid. When the characters themselves point out the faulty reasoning of the plot progression, without any sign of a deeper context, it's a bad sign. Killing Jack and Renee would have immediately forced further investigation.

Worse, having the Russian delegate back out of the peace agreement in a notably negative fashion was a sure way of getting President Taylor and just about everyone else to wonder what their true motivations might be. With clues already pointing to Russian ties to the IRK opposition and now Renee's death, it should take Chloe and Jack about 0.003 seconds to figure out that the Russians were in on the Hassan assassination.

As if all these plot points weren't ludicrous enough, there's the return of Charles Logan. Logan represents everything that was ridiculously wrong with the series during its inexplicably lauded fifth season, wherein the President of the United States was the driving force behind terrorist activities and killing American counter-terrorism assets. Bringing Logan back at this juncture is completely unnecessary, and it seems rather obvious that he will turn out to be part of the conspiracy.

It really comes down to the writers' lack of trust in their own ability to sell a subtle story. The goal was clearly to get Jack back into action for the final several episodes. Despite having already established several different ways to accomplish that goal, the writers went overboard, forcing the villains into making stupid decisions and needlessly killing a character for shock purposes. It's not a matter of personal preference; it's a matter of pointing out where the writers chose expediency over logic.

Overall, this episode was a quick step backwards, falling far from the heights of the previous installment. This is all very unfortunate, because with the series ending in May, the writers could have made better choices and given Jack Bauer a thrilling sendoff. There were plenty of plot elements on the table to get Jack back into the game without undermining the effectiveness of the character's series-long journey.
  • oh.. (spoilers inside)

I am not sure what to say.. It was weird episode.. Some kind of that "transformation" episodes in some seasons when one story ends and another starts as Hassain is dead and no valid leads to continue.. but.. there is something else going on and now.. what to say.. Russians again.. and Logan. I think we have had enough of both of them but..

I enjoyed the thing on CTU. I mean.. Never been big fan of Chloe but she as a head of CTU. I think that will be worth watching. It was a time for her. I mean, she has been around all the time.

And the whole Renee and Jack thing.. it was nice to have minute of "calm" for them.. but two silent clocks in a row? I mean.. Hassain's death was done very emotionally.. but Renee's.. It wasn't as powerful.. but the impact.. oh.. I can only imagine how Jack will take that..
  • It takes 28 minutes of solid pounding from a badass ex-FBI agent to satisfy Jack Bauer. Glad we established that; now why pull the rug out from under him?

We all knew Jack Bauer was tough. We all knew the last season of 24 was going to do things we hadn't seen before. But to take away Jack's last romantic interest in such brutal fashion was oh-so-uncalled-for.

In which case, why give the episode a 9.5? Because it shows the 24 writers are taking dares again. Since the season 5 premiere, the only major character who's been killed off was Bill in season 7 (RIP). So to get rid of Renee, who's become the most sympathetic character on the show, has gotten people talking about 24 again. Or I should say, gotten us wondering what this will mean for the last 7 hours.

During those censored 28 minutes, we get Hassan's widow being promoted to President (two woman Presidents! Go female empowerment!) and Charles Logan is back. Now I know 24 wanted to bring back at least one face from the past, so given the stock of still-alive past characters has significantly dwindled, I can understand Logan's implausible return. He'll come back, cause trouble, and hopefully meet a swift and inglorious execution. Let's just hope he isn't tied into the Russian's plot as some kind of mastermind - again.

Oh, and Chloe's the head of CTU now. I'm sure that will go well.
  • Another tragic shock!

If you thought that the eigth season of 24 cannot give you more surprises and more cliffhanging plots, you were wrong.
    It´s true that the main plot could be considered over, with the tragic ending from the last episode.
    Also, with all the terrorist from the main plot dead too, episode 16 would be the last episode of all the last season in my opinion.
    But it´s true than the viewers look for another type of ending too.
    So, another plot rises in the season, most probably the ultimate plot of 24.
    And i was looking forward to see this episode due to the so negative votes that this one obtained.

It´s a quietly hour, the introduction of the new plot.
    And there is no much action and movement.
    But i really thing that the most important part of the installment and the thing that made the viewers vote a down score may be the last five minutes of the episode.
    In that five minutes ocurres something really unexpected. A really shocking and unbelievable new death.
    It´s a really shame. Ok. And that character would has another more emotional dead or simply a better dead, yeah.
    But it´s undoubtedly that the last minute shock of the episode hits all the audience.
    Also for me, it´s an excellent episode.
    So sad, but excellent.

Renne Walker, you will be missed so much.
  • Chloe is given new responsibilities and Chuck Logan makes a return.

This is for you Howard Gordon. You had in your hands the makings of one of the best seasons of the show, and you've more than likely tossed it all away with the killing of one of the best new characters you've introduced in a long time. Episodes 15 and 16 were amazing, and there was good shock value in the way Hassan died. How is Renee's death good shock value? It was like Tony's 'death,' but we know that Renee is officially dead without any chance of resurrection because of her silent clock. I guess her death did serve some purpose in that she knew something and needed to be silenced, but HG you totally could have had her severely wounded or kidnapped. All I can say is the only thing to redeem your failure would be Jack going on a vigilante rampage and bring all the villains to justice like in the old west. Aside from 'one of the most shocking moments of the season,' the episode did keep a solid pace of drama and buildup, and I look forward to the Russian villain story arc and to Logan's role. I also am interested in seeing how Chloe runs CTU, and if Tim Woods has his own agenda in putting her there.

All things considered, I don't allow Renee's death to drop my score of the episode down to abysmal, but it did cause the episode's rating to suffer. Come May 24, I might be eating my words and realize that her death set in motion the best stretch of 7 episodes in the entire series. I hope you can prove me wrong HG. I really hope you have a plan to make this right.
  • I give 4 points only for Chloe's promotion scene.

wow... SO predictable..Such a lazy writing.
    I had never seen another 24 season before and the moment they showed the sniper I was sure Rene wouldn't make it thru the episode.

President Hassan was an uber interesting character: they killed him.
    Renee was a fantastic partner for Bauer: they killed her.

Only Chloe has left (knock on wood!)
    We left with boooooring Freddy Prinze and his ultra frustrating ex-fiance (why oh why Dana Walsh is still alive in this show again?)

I was already laughing at how a 45yo man who got beaten, stubbed, tortured, shot and all this in a few hours, is still standing on his feet.
    And now that his love interest was assassinated in his hands he is supposed to kill the rest of the bad guys driven by... vengeance ?

Oh well I should had realised how bad a show can be when it can make Shakoff play THAT badly.

If I watch the rest of it would be only for Chloe the most interesting and relatively well written character of the whole show.
  • After Hassan's murder, his wife is approached to take his place in peace talks.

This episode had a great first half, and horrible second half.

The Good:

Chloe getting promoted. Actually this makes perfect sense because Chloe knows all the procedures involved. She's obviously a high tech whiz with boundless knowledge that has served Ctu well. Above that Chloe is perhaps the most trustworthy. Obviously she doesn't the experience yet, but that's why we have the remaining episode to evaluate her performance, but her promotion does make sense.

Hassan's wife taking his place also makes sense.

As much I hate Logan, I also think it's logical to bring him back. Maybe he'll finally pay for his crimes.

The Horrible:

Jack and Renee. For me besides Renee's death at the end of the episode wasn't really what angered me the most. What angered me the most was the way the writers illogically made them an item within a span of two minutes. This was totally out of character for both.

Jack and Reene were friends not lovers. That's been evident from day one. Their sex scene made no sense at all. Totally out of character for both characters. Jack loved Teri, then he was involved with Audrey. I could believe Jack and Audrey becoming an item because we see the relationship develop over many years. After Jack's breakup with Audrey, we knew that be the end of it as far as women go. Jack and Reenee had no such history. Not too mention the fact that it was awfully in poor taste for the writers to mention Teri then have Jack and Renee hope into bed like that.

A lot of people are pointing the finger at Howard Gordon for this fiasco. However, people seem to forget that Kiefer besides being the main star is also Executive Producer as well. He does deserve as well to be held for the blame for this debacle.

I blame the writers too, but Executive Producers and Kiefer should also be held accountable.

Anyhow, it's a shame really because this was actually a decent episode, but that second half was something that will really become part of 24 infamy.
  • Arguably the saddest episode of the season, indubitably the most bittersweet.

I find that I have very mixed feelings about this episode. In season 7, I started out hating Renee completely. As the season went on, I warmed to her, and ended the season liking her a lot. And I liked her even more with this season; and, it became apparent to me within the first episode she was in that she and Jack should - no, needed, to get together. (I mean, really, they're perfect for each other, and the chemistry sparkles and crackles more than a fire on Christmas morning.) I thought that every single Jack/Renee moment was absolutely perfect. So completely spot-on. And the kissing/love scene was so hot, followed by an absolutely sweet and tender scene. I got a LOT more from this episode than I asked for, more than I ever expected.

That said, I think the price for those scenes was over-the-top. I really hope a deeper reason for Renee's death is revealed, because I'm not so sure it was necessary to the integrity of the show. (And I do acknowledge that sometimes a main character's death is important to the integrity, the very heart of any story, no matter the medium.) Jack deserves more than that short measure of happiness. And I would have thought that, this being the last season of this esteemed show, he should have gotten it. This episode was far more than fair in many ways, and far less than it than others. I ultimately gave it this rating because it was the truest that I feel overall, after judging everything I loved, and everything that made me bang my head against the wall. And I feel sorry for Chloe. I think she's in for a rocky last six hours - not only has she been thrust into a position of leadership, something she has never held the likes of before, but she also has Jack on a warpath (god help them /all/). She's the best in her field, but is she cut out to lead a massive operation? Well, we'll find out. I hope she is.

I really did like the fact that Omar Hassan's widow is succeeding to the IRK presidency. I still think they're doing so many things right with the season, but I also think Renee's death was a blaring error. I hope that I'm either wrong about that, or that the show redeems itself for that in the end.
  • Don't the writers of 24 know that in our final season our concern is no longer for action but for the main characters to leave in a fitting way?

Don't the writers know that in our final season our concern is no longer for action but for the main characters to leave in a fitting way? What are the options for Jack now that Renee is dead, revenge then self-sacrifice (which Jack has done every previous season)?

Yes, 24 has always kept us hooked by keeping a constantly fresh batch of characters, but I don't think there is the need for that come the final 8 episodes. It's okay to be predictable once in a while.

I think I see now that the only way this will end is like what other viewers said... with a big bang.
  • Jack's failure to save President Hassan, and the fact that the nuclear threat to New York has ended, convince him to walk away. Renee joins him at his apartment and they confirm their feelings for one another. However, fate steps in once again.

I did like this episode, but have very mixed feelings about it. I have always been a huge fan of the character of President Taylor. She is a strong willed person who is not afraid to make tough decisions. However, it's a huge surprise to me that she would confide in Charles Logan considering his past. When he stepped back onto the scene, it could not have been more obvious that things would not go well and he would have his own agenda. The loss of Renee is unfortunate, but such sudden developments should not be unexpected as we know.
  • While there were certainly no surprises in the dawn of the (almost) new day...

I didn't think it was awful.

It figures the Russians were behind the plot to scuttle the Peace Agreement, given a tie-in to Renee.

It figures they would have to kill off the only person who could or might talk about that involvement.

It figures that even with a kick-a$$ budget, even 24 couldn't get a cardiac arrest scene right (...aaarrrgh)

It figures Renee would have to die, and lets face it...if you gotta go there are worse ways to spend your last hours!! ;o}

It figures that the widow Hassan would be approached to assume her husband's position and keep his legacy alive. There is real-life precedent there.

It figures that Director Hastings would be sacrificed on the alter of "somebody has to take the fall for this"...

I didn't figure on Chloe taking over though.

Still, all figuring aside, it wasn't a bad outing for one where tying up loose ends had to be obvious.