24 Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

24 Coming Back? (for real)

ebbydmp

[1]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 13

I just read in Tv Guide that they might show the8 edisodes of 24 they already have taped as a mini season type this fall. What I mean is instead of 24 episodes of one story it would be 12 episodes of one story. Then next season when they, hopefully, have writers back they will do another 12 episode mini season. They say the second mini season will be in the second half of the season, I'm not sure what that means exactly.

They're toying with that idea because the alternative would be waiting to finish the season they already have started and air it in January '09. For those who don't like that idea, don't worry it is one of many ideas they have for the show.

In my opinion, I don't like the idea.Part of the appeal of the show is thatit is in real time, take that away and I would feel all weird. Plus, I don't think that is the best condition to bringTony back in.I would rather wait'til '09. I suggest that they show reruns starting withDay 1 in its time slot until they bring it back. That waythey satisfy people who areaching for the show to come back and posibly get people who haven't seen the show to start watching. There isn't much else to watch on tv, people are willing to watching anything these days.

What are everyones thoughts?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

djariya

[2]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 19

It was already discussed:

http://www.tv.com/24/show/3866/very-stupid-season-7-and-8-news./topic/2785-937157/msgs.html?tag=board_topics;title;0

Personally I would rather see 12 episodes non-stop premiering in late Augustor early September with a major cliffhanger and then the back 12 resuming in January or February.

Edited on 01/22/2008 10:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Rhaemye

[3]Jan 23, 2008
    • level: 4

There's a reason '24' is called '24'. First of all.

There are plans to either cut the 7th season/day in half or downsize the 7th and 8th season to 12 episodes each. The last option is ridiculous. "Prison Break' has cut its 3rd season short, there will only be 13 episodes instead of 22, and that doesn't do the story any good. They will be wrapping up the story long before the finale, which keeps them from steering it into another crazy direction. It will become predictable and a bit dull as well.

Besides, '24' deserves/owes it to the viewers to give them a much better season than the last, which was nowhere near exciting (apart from the first 4 episodes).

My suggestion is to wait until the fall. If the strike is resolved. '24' has started its first 2 seasons in the fall, so I don't see a problem with that. It's not like the networks have a lot of new shows to air this fall... Plenty of air to bring '24'.

On a sidenote, any news on the '24' movie?

LOSTMinbari

[4]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 6

I feel strongly as fans of quality television we must support the writers. If this means waiting for a complete season of 24, I can gladly accept it.

I think we have all know splitting shows into two mini seasons had an awful effect in recent years. I was completely "lost" when LOST was split into two mini seasons, and it was worse with the re-runs.

Series TV needs to be aired in sequence without huge intermissions.

Periodic TV can survive repeats because there is no continued story line.

I'm as excited at the prospect of seeing Tony again as many people, but I would hate to see the context of the show distorted. Show all 24 episodes in order. If that means waiting until the fall to do it, then just do it. We've waited this long we can wait a bit longer to sustain quality.

A new season of 24 in 2009 could have greater impact and audience appeal with a full season shown in the fall. Writers could even possibly combine two seasons into one huge one of two 24 hour days in a row! I'd like to see the effects of sleep deprevation.

Edited on 01/25/2008 11:08pm

tjoceasde

[5]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 18

Since it looks like the strike is going to end soon (the writers can no longer justify calling the studios selfish after they made a deal with the directors), there is one thing that they can do thatI think will make everyone happy.

Write and film the remaining 16 episodes of Day 7 and air two episodes every Monday night from late May to mid-August. The show could still run non-stop and because most networks take the Summer off, there won't be anyone to compete with. This may actually be a good opportunity to recruit some Heroes fans.

Edited on 01/26/2008 12:39am

Zoolander53

[6]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 10
    I support a split season. All seasons usually have 2 or 3 main storylines split through the season anyways. The only difference is that there would be a one month break for the holidays, which would just get me more hyped for the January episodes!

lovemj

[7]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 14
    tjoceasde wrote:

Write and film the remaining 16 episodes of Day 7 and air two episodes every Monday night from late May to mid-August. The show could still run non-stop and because most networks take the Summer off, there won't be anyone to compete with. This may actually be a good opportunity to recruit some Heroes fans.

I'm not sure that will work for two reasons. 1) I've always heard that the reason networks don't air their hit shows during the summer is because viewership declines during the summer (i.e. less people watch TV). We can argue about that point, but it's what I've always heard. If that's not true, then my second issue is 2) that the other networks would probably do the same thing (i.e. air new episodes during the summer against 24).

That said, because 24 is normally a January to May show, there's a greater reason to do this than with other shows. With the other September-May shows, I doubt their actors would agree to film most of a season for a summer run and then turn around and film a new season to start in the fall. Who knows.

D-DawgMan1

[8]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 48

I don't think I'd like a 12 episode arc unless it is exactly like how they did the 1st season. They wrote the first season like that just in case 24 wasn't picked up for a full season. Teri and Kim were rescued, Rick safely gets away on a bus, the terrorists are subdued, the end. Not! The second wave of assassins come in.

Not that it has to end like that but if they had a cliff hanger similar to Season 5, with some major character dead aftera major catastrophe,I would be absolutely upset and frustrated that 24 would break off at a point like that.

hapat

[9]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 14
    What's the difference of it breaking off for 2-3 months with a cliffhanger, than waiting 8 months after a cliffhanger, i.e. season 5.