24 Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

How to make 24 go on for another 8 seasons

Mackwiss

[1]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 3

After learning about the end of the show one question never left my mind. Why couldn't they re-invent the show? I mean there are a ton of ways 24 could go on for a healthy other 8th seasons. I'm posting some ideas I had that could keep this show going and ending it up one day with a good ending and with a lot of viewers interested in it.

The first thing I think it should happen (and I'm thinking of this since s6) Jack should die. Having a man go trough so many things just made the series too unrealistic, and put the boredom note on martyrdom. My idea is, Jack should have died in the middle of a season and we spend the next episodes following some characters until on the end of the day a new main character rises. That would be dark, a tragedy and something no one would see coming and take the plot twist to a new completly diferent level. At the time I thought Renee could be the main character for a couple of seasons then she could step down for some reason, like not wanting to go the extends of sacrifices Jack did. Want I want to say is that the main character of the show is in its essence the 24 hour period of time that the show runs and not a specific character. Other thing that could change is the treat,Why does it have to be terrorists all the time? Why not a serial killer game? Or a psicopath blowing up things? Or any other type of crime? Going on always about the same things made the show die. Just came into mind the plots of Die Hard 3 where it was about a huge bank robery or the movie Taken about a kidnaping and just saw Law Abidding Citizen and theres another plot that could be made into a season of 24.

Anyway, sugestions? criticism? And sorry for my english i'm not from an english speaking country

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

exogenesis1203

[2]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 2

well if we need a candidate for a new Jack

Cole would most certainly make the cut

he doesn't seem to mind breaking a few rules

another guy who got screwed in his personal life

and he's bad ass!

Moreover...this guy really seems to look up to Jack

D-DawgMan1

[3]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 48
    It just can't happen.

24 cannot exist without Jack Bauer. Getting rid of your main character is spelling doom for your show (in most cases). Some shows it's possible to replace the main character, but 24 is not one of those shows. Its centered around Jack Bauer, and without him, the show is absolutely pointless. Having some wannabe like Cole (no offense, cause I actually like him) taking Jack's place would not be something I'd be interested in. I don't think the show would last an entire season.

Sorry, but if 24 doesn't have Jack, I sure as heck am not watching it. I mean, it's ending now so it doesn't matter. But if there was a 24 spin-off, sorry I am not watching it.

luvinx

[4]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 20

Agreed. No Jack? No 24.

rockworm5039

[5]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 9
    They tried this in the past.. Back during season 3 they were wondering if they could keep Jack in as the main hero for the shows run so they brought in Chase as an idea to replace Jack if they decided to kill him.
    The problem is they had established how awesome Jack was and made him so important to the show that any plans to get rid of him would have flat out ruined the show as many fans would just stop watching if Jack left.

8 seasons later i think it would be even harder to do this. You can't keep the show going like that. Jack Bauer is 24. His name may not be in the main title but its so ingrained into his character that it would be the same as doing a Buffy the Vampire slayer without Buffy in it.
    Can't be done.
    The fans would not accept it.

warthogjump

[6]Apr 18, 2010
    • level: 8
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    Jack Bauer is 24.

Enough said!

WalFaY

[7]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 4

rockworm5039 wrote:
    Jack Bauer is 24.

Well said!
    And Jack will probably die with the show (Damn, I hate thinking this show is coming to an end )

WalFaY

[8]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 4

Mackwiss wrote:

After learning about the end of the show one question never left my mind. Why couldn't they re-invent the show? I mean there are a ton of ways 24 could go on for a healthy other 8th seasons. I'm posting some ideas I had that could keep this show going and ending it up one day with a good ending and with a lot of viewers interested in it.

Anyway, sugestions? criticism? And sorry for my english i'm not from an english speaking country

And to reply to your question Mackwiss I would say that 24's concept (events occur in real-time...) could actually work for a spin-off. Maybe...... Not within CTU though .... but perhaps following up another group within the same political environment (same president etc). I think as long as the writers comes up with good ideas everything is possible. However as a 24 fan (and HUGE fan of Jack Bauer as well ) I would be unhappy if they decide to continue 24 (and the CTU story) without Jack! (that's not even imaginable to me)

II_Seraphim_II

[9]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 6
    TC, just wanted to add, it has to be terrorists because, well, they work for CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit) But I do think that they should deal with some domestic terrorists every now and then.