24 Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

I'm getting tired of all these [SPOILERS]

exogenesis1203

[1]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 2

In the tv shows recently, the writers are getting more and more interested in killing off some main charcaters in some rather random way

in my memory, the very first example for this kind of death would be Tara from BtVS

back in those days that was awesome and it is extremly well written

those were pretty good back in the days (e.g. those in buffy and angel)

I also like Teri's death in S1, I mean without that death the whole show would be totally different

the later on these stuff are begin to get silly

e.g. Firefly, Derek in Terminator, the last 2 episodes in Dollhouse

the deaths are no longer used as a cleverly written plot and are only showed simply for the sake of "zOMG im DA MOST creative writer becoz I kill off the most important character and so that people can never have happy ending, SURPRISE!"

to be honest, although I totally see this one coming (well I saw this one coming back in S7 to be honest lol), I'm still pretty pissed, it's just feel repetitive. I mean come on, the whole "I'm gonna make theprotagonist'slife as misery as possible" won't work as many times as you like.

so what are we going to next huh? a nuke detonating in LA downtown and blasting his daughter's family into oblivion to make him really alone?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rockworm5039

[2]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 9
    Oh jeez a show about terrorism where no one dies... Yeah I'd watch that /sarcasm

exogenesis1203

[3]Apr 12, 2010

I'm not saying I hate killing off characters

Hassan's death is amazing

but lately the tv shows are killing off charcaters simply for the sake of killing them to prove the shows is special, now that's just annoying.

rockworm5039

[4]Apr 12, 2010
    Look at season 5.
    Palmer and Michelle died before the first commercial break.
    Then Edgar dies then Lynn.. And it was believed at the time that Tony too..

Season 5 is considered one of the best seasons of 24 and by a lot of people to be the best of any show.

Would it have half the impact it had if these people we love not die?

CjTl2005

[5]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 11

Or maybe a show about terrorism where the people who are supposed to stop it constantly fail. Oh wait. . . . people watch that stuff.
    I do agree with the original post. It's silly when it's not executed right. Tonight was on a level with Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer. "AAAAHH DON'T GO AROUND THE CORNER!!!!!". Meh. Been done thousands of times before. In the effort to be unpredictable, the show became predictable.
    Now Jack's going to go off and get to the bottom of it. He'll find the shooter only to watch helplessly as someone else gets to kill him. Then he'll get captured again. Then Cole will break protocol and be just like Jack. Chloe will protect Cole but Arlo will get her busted. . . . . Sound familiar? Similar things happen at the end of every 24 season.

CjTl2005

[6]Apr 12, 2010
    Could've done without the Tony death. I understand what they're doing. Killing Renee off is the only way Jack gets back in the game.

rockworm5039

[7]Apr 12, 2010
    Well I think the show hasn't been better...
    seriously stop watching if you're tired of it.

exogenesis1203

[8]Apr 12, 2010

well the whole season 5 is pretty much based on their death

I'm only have problem with these deaths recently

namely Bill in S7 (well this one is fifty fifty)

Derek in Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicle

Paul in Dollhouse

now those are rather silly, the entier plot would works just as good without those death

exogenesis1203

[9]Apr 12, 2010

if they want something unpredictable

they should go ahead and kill someone like Chloe I'd say

now that if executed right would be cool

rockworm5039

[10]Apr 12, 2010
    I disagree completely..
    Only kill people if it helps the story...
    No sometimes killing people for no reason can have a bigger impact than anything else.
    Its not for shock valure. Jack had given up after Hassan's death now he's gonna want revenge. Revenge jack is usually the best kind.
    If the writers catered to the fans and only did what they thought the fans wanted the show would be boring.

I bet 100 bucks if they had not killed renee people would be complaining that the writers didn't have the balls to do it.

CjTl2005

[11]Apr 12, 2010

The problem with trying to drop something when you don't like part of it is that you're action will never be interpreted the way you intend it to be.

If I think they put too much sour cream or whatever that pepper sauce is on my food at Taco Bell and I and others who agree just stop going without saying anything, they'll just see a drop in sales and think they're not gimmicky enough.

When groups of people come up with terrible ideas someone needs to be there to say this.

rockworm5039

[12]Apr 12, 2010
    Well I'm done Its clear we're on the oposite sides of the fence here.
    I didn't need to be shocked by Renee's death to feel an emotional impact.

CjTl2005

[13]Apr 12, 2010
    I just think there was a different way to get Jack back in the game. I totally understand why they did it, but in the context of the season so far, it was too soon. Having someone attack Jack at home would be enough to get him back in. Or leave Renee in surgery for a few hours and then they can let it hang for a while.

jrob28

[14]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 5
    I am just sad the freckled-face beauty is gone.

In the words of Jack, "Damnit!"

generalbrent

[15]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 15
    Renee's death is nothing like Derek's in Terminator.

Derek's death in Terminator was shocking, but didn't really move the story forward, and the show got axed anyway.

Renee's death, even without seeing the next episode, without a doubt sets up the rest of the season in terms of Jack, as well as getting the Russians involved.

I'm also surprised no-one has mentioned how quick Jack got her to the hospital, but I'd say that when Jack moved to NY, he moved close to a hospital cos of his health.

The only time there has been a death for the sake of killing someone would be Milo in S6, and even then, CTU gets invaded, of course people will get shot.

CjTl2005

[16]Apr 13, 2010
    I think Derek in Terminator was them trying to get some kind of buzz going. With the way that show ended, they brought him back anyway because of the time travel stuff. It would have been interesting to see where they went with that.

I'll get over this one eventually. I was really hoping for the happy ending to the series -- to give Jack's life some kind of hope after all this.

D-DawgMan1

[17]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 49
    I agree that 24 is the type of show that has to kill characters off in order to further the plot. I do agree that Renee's death was just to get Jack back in the game.

I agree with someone above about how killing off Milo was pointless. Heck, I wish they would have shot more of those useless characters from Season 6.

Point is that shows have to have fallout characters in order to keep things interesting. The other problem is that some characters want out of the show, or are forced out.

Take Edie from Desperate Housewives. She was written out because Marc Cherry hated the actress' guts. In my opinion, they could have done more with her.

Half-Sack from Sons of Anarchy. He didn't like how his character was on the show, and wanted off.

Then there's those two characters of Grey's Anatomy. I don't know their names, but I heard they were both written out due to behavioral problems on set.

And don't get me started about Lost. That's the kind of show where if you're introduced late in the game, you're out. So many of the deaths on that show have been pointless in my eyes.

I know I'm rambling about other shows, but the point is that people have to be killed in order to further the plot. I think Renee's death was necessary, and it was unexpected after killing Hassan. You usually don't see a show killing two characters in back-to-back episodes. That's almost unheard of, and I have to say I did not see it coming.

Most deaths on shows are used to shock the audience. I agree that I only watch shows where people may die because it gets interesting then. You see how the death effects everyone around them. If you don't have a show with someone dying, then it quickly loses its audience. I am not a fan of death, but let's be honest that if 24 was a show where the bad guys died and the good guys lived, it just wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. It would be boring knowing that you have the same characters sticking around and you know they're going to stick around. It takes all the drama away.

But 24 has proven time and time again only Jack Bauer is safe. Anyone else is subject to termination, and that's what keeps the show exciting.

On a final note, let's hope they throw Logan into the death toll of 24 before they exit out. I hope that's the only reason they brought him back because I'm sick of him. NOT THE ACTOR: Gregory Itzin does a great job portraying him. But seeing the character last night made me sick to my stomach.

CjTl2005

[18]Apr 13, 2010
    I get the feeling that Logan's got something up his sleeve. He always has.

D-DawgMan1

[19]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 49
    CjTl2005 wrote:

I hear you there. I'd be surprised if he wasn't trying to pull something out of sleeve.

rockworm5039

[20]Apr 14, 2010
    D-DawgMan1 wrote:
    CjTl2005 wrote:

I hear you there. I'd be surprised if he wasn't trying to pull something out of sleeve.

He hasn't changed. He's probably in on everything that's happened this season.