24 Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Nina and Day 1

ModernTimes

[1]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 9

So, I watched S1 with more attention to detail than entertainment. Bad Idea. Nina as the mole simply doesn't make any sense at all. If anyone has a good explanation I'd love to hear it/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

generalbrent

[2]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 15
    It makes sense. Nina isn't a small-time mole, like Jamey was. Jamey was small time and only worked for Gaines. Nina was like, internationally involved and had been a mole for ages. She didn't work for Gaines, she worked for Drazen, or people that Drazen knew. She wouldn't have known much about the plan to kill Palmer, but she knew to kill Jamey, and she knew to let Drazen know Palmer isn't dead.

Overall, it makes sense

Genetic_Code

[3]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 14
    I've seen Season 1 twice, but both times were about four years ago. It made sense to me at the time, but I'd have to watch it again. Fortunately, I plan on doing so soon.

ModernTimes

[4]Jun 2, 2010
    I did find this:

When Jack confronts Nina about the key card in episode 3, she deflects his suspicion by pointing out that she was with him in Santa Barbara the day it was last used at headquarters, and therefore someone else must have used it that day to set her up. In fact, she altered the date on the card to cover her tracks. *The dead shooter's thumb cut off by Jack in an early episode yields no ID. The speculative explanation is that "either this guy doesn't exist or else he has some friends in very high places." In fact, Nina is the "friend," erasing the record from the database. *Nina calls Teri, in the car and tells her that the dead body Jack found was Alan York, thus alerting Teri that the man she is riding with in the car is not Alan York. Nina does this because she was not aware of Ira Gaines or the details of his plan, and thus did not know the significance of the name Alan York. She may also not have known that the Bauers were going to part of the plan, although its more likely that she helped provide the Drazens with information on them than Jamey, who seemed genuinely shocked when she learnt that they had been kidnapped. *Jack shoots Nina, per Gaines' order. Nina and Gaines did not know of each other's existence. So, when Gaines ordered Jack to shoot Nina, he didn't know she was on his side. *Nina helps catch Jamey Farrell because she wanted to deflect her own involvement by fingering Jamey. *Nina brings Teri and Kim to the safe house, essentially setting a trap for them to be recaptured. She then leads Teri to realize that she and Jack were lovers, turning Teri against her and giving her an excuse to leave. *Once Alexis Drazen is stabbed and taken into custody, Nina doesn't tell the Drazens because telling them about Alexis does not further her objective, which is to ensure that Palmer is assassinated by the end of the day. *Nina told the Drazens where to find Kim, to provide them with leverage to force Jack to kill Palmer. *The Drazens want Jack and his family dead. Why doesn't Nina just kill Kim and Teri when she has the chance? Because Nina's objective is Palmer's assassination and not the deaths of Jack's family. *And why does Nina help Jack so loyally throughout the season? Because Nina knows that she is more powerful with Jack's confidence than without."

Most are poor explanations, but I'll accept them. S1 is just so damn fun to watch.

rockworm5039

[5]Jun 2, 2010
    She's not a simple Mole. She's deep undercover her cover only got blown because she started contacting Drazen had she not told Jack that Kim was dead Jack would be none the wiser and season 2 would begin with her still working at CTU and so Jack would find out her duplicity following the guys who blew up CTU.

hapat

[6]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 14
    Yeah it makes sense easily. Plus when he says "And People I know and work with may be involved in both" It always went in on her, so that's what made me guess she was a mole..lol

ArtCorvelay

[7]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 8

ModernTimes wrote:
    I did find this: When Jack confronts Nina about the key card in episode 3, she deflects his suspicion by pointing out that she was with him in Santa Barbara the day it was last used at headquarters, and therefore someone else must have used it that day to set her up. In fact, she altered the date on the card to cover her tracks. *The dead shooter's thumb cut off by Jack in an early episode yields no ID. The speculative explanation is that "either this guy doesn't exist or else he has some friends in very high places." In fact, Nina is the "friend," erasing the record from the database. *Nina calls Teri, in the car and tells her that the dead body Jack found was Alan York, thus alerting Teri that the man she is riding with in the car is not Alan York. Nina does this because she was not aware of Ira Gaines or the details of his plan, and thus did not know the significance of the name Alan York. She may also not have known that the Bauers were going to part of the plan, although its more likely that she helped provide the Drazens with information on them than Jamey, who seemed genuinely shocked when she learnt that they had been kidnapped. *Jack shoots Nina, per Gaines' order. Nina and Gaines did not know of each other's existence. So, when Gaines ordered Jack to shoot Nina, he didn't know she was on his side. *Nina helps catch Jamey Farrell because she wanted to deflect her own involvement by fingering Jamey. *Nina brings Teri and Kim to the safe house, essentially setting a trap for them to be recaptured. She then leads Teri to realize that she and Jack were lovers, turning Teri against her and giving her an excuse to leave. *Once Alexis Drazen is stabbed and taken into custody, Nina doesn't tell the Drazens because telling them about Alexis does not further her objective, which is to ensure that Palmer is assassinated by the end of the day. *Nina told the Drazens where to find Kim, to provide them with leverage to force Jack to kill Palmer. *The Drazens want Jack and his family dead. Why doesn't Nina just kill Kim and Teri when she has the chance? Because Nina's objective is Palmer's assassination and not the deaths of Jack's family. *And why does Nina help Jack so loyally throughout the season? Because Nina knows that she is more powerful with Jack's confidence than without." Most are poor explanations, but I'll accept them. S1 is just so damn fun to watch.

Dude, clearly you answered your questions better than anyone!!! ... with amazing clarity actually!!! ... I'm not sure why question the plot twist...

Anyways, I will add a few crucial points:

-Nina did NOT work for the Drazens (she says so at the end). She worked merely supplied them with intel for $$$, a behavior that is confirmed in season 2.

-It is unclear if she ever cared what happened to Palmer... or Jack for that matter. She was in it for $$$.

-Also she WAS working for someone bigger, its hinted that is may be a German agent or at least an international agent in the Day 1 finale... however this seems to be debunked in day 2 and WHO exactly she spoke to at the end of 1 remains one of the BIGGEST unanswered question in 24 history.

generalbrent

[8]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 15
    ArtCorvelay wrote:

-Also she WAS working for someone bigger, its hinted that is may be a German agent or at least an international agent in the Day 1 finale... however this seems to be debunked in day 2 and WHO exactly she spoke to at the end of 1 remains one of the BIGGEST unanswered question in 24 history.

Actually, the biggest questions are "What happened to Behrooz, Martha and Wayne?" and "What did Jack whisper to Nina in S2?"

whosthatinurpic

[9]Mar 10, 2011
    • level: 1

If you lot are still interested, check out this page I wrote:

http://24.wikia.com/wiki/User:Acer4666/Day_1_plot

I've attempted to work out the motives for both Nina and Jamey's actions in every episode of day 1

Nickylucas

[10]Mar 13, 2011
    • level: 23

Nina being the mole makes perfect sense. She was so good at it, she had everyone believe she was a good person and did everything she was asked to do. She cared about money, not sides.

jackbauer89

[11]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 1
    Two explantions, one more plausible than the other, obviously:

1 Nina was working for the Germans, not the Drazens. In the finale, the Germans tell her to erase all information connecting her to Germany. The German's obviously had a vested interest in what was happening on day one. Maybe they wanted Palmer dead, maybe something else. Who knows. All that seems apparent is that Nina was working for the Germans and not specifically the Drazens. When she rang the Drazens informing them of Palmer's involvement, it was perhaps in the interests of the Germans she was working for. Tbh, I think that although Nina was a cold blooded killer, she did have some kind of sentiment towards Jack and his family. She tried to protect them during the season, I'm convinced these attempts were genuine, but when Teri found out too much she had no choice but to kill her, especially when her boss told her to cut all ties with Germany. Obviously what she did was wrong and brutal, but I don't think she up against Jack's family from the beginning. After all, she didn't appear to know anything about the initial kidnapping (when Gaines gets Jack to shoot her)

2. The writers of 24 didn't originally plan to kill Teri off, they wanted to use her in subsequent seasons. However, her character got so annoying that towards the end the writers decided to write Nina in as a mole for the sole purpose of killing off teri so that she doesn't have to appear in another season of 24 simply because she is the most annoying character in 24 (Dana Walsh offers good competition).