24 Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Question for 24 veterans....

sluggerss

[1]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 4

Hi All-

I only started watching this show off DVD's last summer, but fininshed all seven seasons before this one started. Given that a main character from the past is returning (I dont want to mention any names as I dont want to get myself in trouble with the "spoiler police" ), and given its been pretty much common knowlege for awhile thatthis person is returning, I got to thinking....When Tony returned at the beginning of season 7, was it pretty much common knowledge he was coming back?

one good part about watching TV on DVD's (especially multiple seasons at once), is you get shocked by things like that. I had no idea he was coming back, or alive (same goes for Sara Tancredi's return in Prison Break)...

Just cuirious...

Edited on 04/12/2010 3:14pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ERICtheGREAT07

[2]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 7

Yeah, it was common knowledge that he was returning for season 7, unless you completely ignored all things 24 and didn't watch the season 7 trailer. The trailer was released before the writers strike and it was known for over a year that Tony was returning. It may be more rewarding for people who haven't seen 24 at all too just watch it straight through and avoid spoilers.

jrosace92

[3]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 7

Yes it was foreseen by most fans that Tony was returning at the beginning of season 7. There was a special a few weeks/months before the start of the season that showed the first 17 minutes of the first episode, and the big "Tony" revelation occurred at the end of that. Also, I get mad when they have the name of the person in the episode at the beginning credits. Like when I rewatched season 7 on DVD with my mom, she knew Tony's name is Carlos Bernard, and when his name came up on the bottom of the screen, she said "(GASP) I thought he was dead!", and its not the same as seeing him in person on screen. I guarantee the actor/actress name of the person whom you are referring to will be in the opening credits(I already know).

rockworm5039

[4]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 9
    If you bought the 24: Redemption DVD the day after then Tony's reveal wasn't a shocker at all theres the first 17 minutes of season 7 on there.

sluggerss

[5]Apr 13, 2010
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    If you bought the 24: Redemption DVD the day after then Tony's reveal wasn't a shocker at all theres the first 17 minutes of season 7 on there.

Funny you should say that..this weekend I was having 24 withdrawls and felt like watching something before this season, but my buddy has all my old DVD's. I forgot to give him Redemption, so I started watching that, and then went to the extras (which I had never looked at or watched). Never noticed that the first 17 minutes of Day 7 were on the Redemption DVD (I just went straight to Day 7 after I was done with the movie). Watched the first 17 minutes this weekend, and now I want to go and watch the whole season again!

rockworm5039

[6]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 9
    sluggerss wrote:
    rockworm5039 wrote:

Funny you should say that..this weekend I was having 24 withdrawls and felt like watching something before this season, but my buddy has all my old DVD's. I forgot to give him Redemption, so I started watching that, and then went to the extras (which I had never looked at or watched). Never noticed that the first 17 minutes of Day 7 were on the Redemption DVD (I just went straight to Day 7 after I was done with the movie). Watched the first 17 minutes this weekend, and now I want to go and watch the whole season again!

Yup those 17 minutes sure make you excited for the day 7... I watched all of it when I bought Redemption and it was a good 2 months before the season started. Those were some long months lol.

legersem

[7]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 20

sluggerss wrote:

Hi All-

I only started watching this show off DVD's last summer, but fininshed all seven seasons before this one started. Given that a main character from the past is returning (I dont want to mention any names as I dont want to get myself in trouble with the "spoiler police" ), and given its been pretty much common knowlege for awhile thatthis person is returning, I got to thinking....When Tony returned at the beginning of season 7, was it pretty much common knowledge he was coming back?

one good part about watching TV on DVD's (especially multiple seasons at once), is you get shocked by things like that. I had no idea he was coming back, or alive (same goes for Sara Tancredi's return in Prison Break)...

Just cuirious...

Yeah, it's definitely better to watch the entire series through on DVD. That's what I did to catch up to season 7 last year before it was too far in but I had already heard about Tony even before then. There was another late season spoiler from this season that was leaked as well (even though it didn't turn out to be much of a shocker) but it kinda made me excited for that to happen. I do avoid 24 spoilers like the plague when the season is running, though.

sluggerss

[8]Apr 16, 2010
    legersem wrote:

sluggerss wrote:

Hi All-

Just cuirious...

Yeah, it's definitely better to watch the entire series through on DVD. That's what I did to catch up to season 7 last year before it was too far in but I had already heard about Tony even before then. There was another late season spoiler from this season that was leaked as well (even though it didn't turn out to be much of a shocker) but it kinda made me excited for that to happen. I do avoid 24 spoilers like the plague when the season is running, though.

There are good and bad points about watching a show on DVD later. Good point is everything is a shocker, even things that were gemeral knowledge (like Tony and Sara Tancredi from Prison Break coming back from the dead). Those two were shockers to me, where they may not have been if I were watching the show at the time.

Bad point is when you are watching, most people have moved onto something else, so its tough to get people to want to talk about it. I have enjoyed watching this season live, as I have been able to come to message boards after each episode and discuss what happened, what we thing will happen. I also have a few friends who I talk to weekly about the show.