24 Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Similar shows?

FoeHammer225

[1]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 9

I just finished watching season 7 and just loved it, since season 8 starts January I want to keep myself busy by watching some other shows.

So i was just wondering if you guys know if there are any other shows similar to 24.

thanks

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

_XLeGeNdX_

[2]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 12
    24 is in a whole class of it's own..

Saiyans91

[3]Aug 29, 2009
    • level: 8
    He is right. 24 is the best show and nothing comes close. But here are some other good shows you could watch Lost, Prison Break (Seasons 1 and 2), House MD, Heroes (Only Season 1), Dexter etc.

KingofIPirates

[4]Aug 29, 2009
    • level: 32
    Alias and La Femme Nikita is somewhat similar to 24 as they have have a number of comparable themes.

shonalsk

[5]Aug 31, 2009
    • level: 5
    Spooks

hapat

[6]Aug 31, 2009
    • level: 14
    24 is in a class all it's own.

But if you want something close pick the Shield.

Prison Break season 1, is the only season that can even remotely compare to 24.

Lost is great but completely opposite 24, only thing really in common is the time aspect. But still should definetly give this one a try.

Alias is great but kind of gets land of the living dead by the end.

La Femme Nikita was also made byt he 24 producers and is a great one to look at.

Jericho is a good one to look at, again only thing is common is the real time issue.

Dexter is another really good choice, but again nothing like 24.

If you want something close go with the Shield, has many similarities and is really good. But again I repeat nothing compares to 24.

Also Stargate sg-1 and Monk aren't bad choices.

bauer81

[7]Sep 11, 2009

hapat wrote:
    24 is in a class all it's own.But if you want something close pick the Shield. Prison Break season 1, is the only season that can even remotely compare to 24.

Absolutely right.

hapat wrote:
    Lost is great but completely opposite 24, only thing really in common is the time aspect. But still should definetly give this one a try

I agree, Lost is the best sci-fi drama ever made (in my opinion) but I can't see any time resemblance between the two most favorite shows of mine... 24 is in real time and Lost isn't...

hapat wrote:
    Dexter is another really good choice, but again nothing like 24. If you want something close go with the Shield, has many similarities and is really good. But again I repeat nothing compares to 24.

Once again... I agree 100%.

bauer81

[8]Sep 11, 2009
    Another worth watching show is Breaking Bad, nothing like 24, Lost or The Shield... but it's very good.

HaSheeSh_basic

[9]Sep 15, 2009
    • level: 10
    wouldn't recommend Alias, such an awful show in my opinion. You find the main character carrying out a mission and traveling to 5 different countries in one 40 minute episode...so in terms of the type aspect...not even close

generalbrent

[10]Jan 7, 2010
    • level: 15
    HaSheeSh_basic wrote:
    wouldn't recommend Alias, such an awful show in my opinion. You find the main character carrying out a mission and traveling to 5 different countries in one 40 minute episode...so in terms of the type aspect...not even close

Whoever mentioned Alias wasn't suggesting that its similar in time asspect - there isn't really any show that has real time. Alias is similar in its whole "spy" theme.

I'd define 24 as "non-stop action" and "shocking twists", so shows that I'd classify as similar would have to have the same stuff. Alias and Prison Break kinda, but 24 is better than both. Lost has plenty of mind-bending shocks and twists, but isn't really action. I'd always recommend Dexter.

I've heard Le Femme Nikita is similar.

I agree with Hapat, there isn't anything as good as 24.

wwervin

[11]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 3
    Give Burn Notice a shot. It's about an ex covert ops agent who gets "burned" by someone and is now trying to find out who betrayed him. In his path he takes on all these other side missions. Basically it's a drama about covert ops with a twist of comedy every now and then. Great show.

Also, Prison Break comes very close to 24 in terms of drama, however as many have said, it's in a league of its own. Haven't seen too much of Dexter but it looks very good so I'll start watching that when I get a chance to.

Your taste seems similar to mine, so I'll also recommend some other shows I love:

Burn Notice

Prison Break

Psych

Fringe

Bones

Kings (unfortunately got cancelled after 1 season but VERY GOOD SHOW!)

House

The Philanthropist

Heroes

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

There's a whole lot of other shows I watch but just give those a shot for now, should hold you over for quite some time.

john2089

[12]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 1
    yeah really gud. my list, in random order:

24 House

Lost

Prison Break

Heroes (getting worse)

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Supernatural (amazing)

Dexter

you guys got any other good recommendations? i heard the wire & the supranos are pretty good?

bauer81

[13]Jan 12, 2010

john2089 wrote:
    you guys got any other good recommendations? i heard the wire & the supranos are pretty good?

Besides 24 and LOST my number 1 choice would be The Shield... then Breaking Bad and Fringe. Well lets forget everything, Day 8 is coming very soon (and the final season of LOST)...

PS: Battlestar Galactica has got many loyal fans but I haven't seen it yet...

brain05

[14]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 15
    The Wire is the best whole complete 5 seasons of television ever made. Hands down. Genius

wwervin

[15]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 3
    Whoever asked about the Sopranos, it's a very good show, just make sure you watch the DVDs so it's unedited. FX is showing episodes but it's just not the same when they cut all the good parts out.

netgoddess

[16]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 10
    Prison Break is the only show I know of with the same amount of intensity as 24. If you like 24 chances are high you'll like Season 1 and 2 of Prison Break. Although it suffers a lot in later seasons from becoming far too predictable and having character relationships end up becoming too unrealistic.

However, there are many great shows for 24 fans. Try "The Wire", while it builds up slow it is an extremely well-written and realistic show and I like it because it balances between telling the story from the good guy's perspective and the bad guy's perspective, and is less binary in its morality with a lot more shades of gray.

HaSheeSh_basic wrote:
    Alias is one of the best shows ever made. If you like hot girls kicking ass it is the show for you. The only person on par JJ Abrams is Joss Whedon. There's a reason why my avatar pic is from Alias.

If you like twists and turns then LOST is a good choice. It has a lot of action for a show that isn't about government agencies running around trying to chase down bad guys.

I can't think of other shows that are really much like 24, but if you like action and intensity I recommend Terminator, Dexter, SG1, Torchwood, Fringe, and of course Supernatural.

If you want a 24 action/plot-twist rush then Prison Break for sure, if you want a police show then The Wire is the best police show ever made. If you want a kick ass action show about spies that has a deep plot then Alias is a good choice...who cares if they never put much attention to the travel time...it is a great show.

drig44

[17]Jan 19, 2010
    • level: 4
    Dexter all the way. It's close, but I may like it even more then 24.

linusiuppsala

[18]Jan 25, 2010
    • level: 6

Showtime had something for some year ago."Sleeper cell" I think it was called. On the dvd-cover they've written whit big letters "BETTER THAN 24"

I haven't watched it myself and I don't believe any show can be better than 24 but why don't give it a try =)

rockworm5039

[19]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 9
    honestly don't look if your looking for something like 24.. 24 rapes those other shows.....
    Personal favorits of mine are Buffy / Angel
    supernatural and stargate just to name a few none of which are even remotely like 24 and thats actually good thing cause honestly any show that even tries to be like 24 is destined to fail.

mermayd

[20]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 19
    shonalsk wrote:
    Spooks

Beat me to it. But in the US it is called MI5 I believe. Spooks is a British spy show and incredibly exciting. And it kills off it's lead characters with no warning.

Season One will have you on the edge of your seat.