24 Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Time moving too fast in 24? (Potential spoilers for all seasons)

Is time in the 24 universe moving too fast?

UNSRM

[1]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 11

Hi all,

With the news that Day 7 is taking place four years after season 6. At what point do you think Jack becomes too old? Are they going through time quicker than they should? Are they artificially decreasing Jack's active lifespan? 7 Years have past in real life but 13 years have passed in the 24 universe.

Any thoughts?

UNSRM

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Genetic_Code

[2]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 14
    Well, you have to take in other factors. For one, the Presidents in 24 change a lot, and as a result, they need more time to better explain the change in the Presidents. Secondly, a Los Angeles terrorist attack, a conspiracy, and a mole in a L.A. agency just don't happen annually or semi-annually for some elements. This is fictional though so none of that really matters.

However, you bring up a better point, which is Jack's age. He will be 52 in Season 7. That will certainly be stretching his abilities. The show will probably never take note of that anymore so they can still use Jack without us wondering how he can do all of this in his 50s, but I do think his time is practically up, perhaps around Season 8, which is Kiefer's last season on his contract. Maybe they'll continue using Jack without mentioning his age and letting the audience out as to satisfy their suspension of disbelief. Remember that most people don't follow 24 as religiously as some users here so it won't matter for the mainstream audience.

bm365

[3]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 6
    Actually your wrong, Day 7 will take place 13 years after the events of day 1. Jack was 34 (born in 1966) when the series began as it was set in March 2000. Therfore Jack is now 47 (when isnt unbelievable for the show)

Parricida

[4]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 47
    I agree with Genetic_Code: most people do not think on that. Even if you follow the series full and notice every thing, they do not stress too much the years passed and visually Jack Bauer is not getting too old yet.

andrehovd

[5]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 7
    well, the name of the show is 24 and every thing is supose to happend in one day(24 hour). So i dont think the prodcuers will add more episdoes to the seasons. But it whuld have been great to get more 24 on the screen.

CjTl2005

[6]Oct 18, 2008
    • level: 11

None of that matters.

Between seasons, Jack gets launched into space for a couple years and returns for the next season. For us, 4 years pass between seasons 6 & 7, but for Jack, it was only a few months.

In all seriousness, I don't think 24 will run much longer. Season 8, and that'll be it.

hohenhiem

[7]Nov 9, 2008
    What they need to do is not mess with the time but go back to what they did in season one and instead of things happening instantly, make it realistic like half an episode Jack is driving. For example when Jack was going after Gaines. If they do it right they can make it pretty badass like in season 1.

Genetic_Code

[8]Nov 11, 2008
    hohenhiem wrote:
    What they need to do is not mess with the time but go back to what they did in season one and instead of things happening instantly, make it realistic like half an episode Jack is driving. For example when Jack was going after Gaines. If they do it right they can make it pretty badass like in season 1.

He wasn't referring to the rate of events in episodes but the amount of time between seasons.

yellowbucket101

[9]Nov 11, 2008
    • level: 6
    I think that it is deliberate as Jack can only have so many days. Also if the story line in the 24 universe is to be believable then there has to be time inbetween days for the country and world (in 24) to recover from terrorist attacks, nuclear, toxic etc. Also Sutherland has said himself that the character has to end at some point, and when we least expect it. As a previous post said, I think season 8 will be the last we see

Carycomic

[10]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 13

Well, let's see. If we assume that it was contemporaneous with the airdate of the series premiere, then Day 1 occurred Nov. 5/6, 2001. Which makes the ensuing math work out like this: Day 2 (May 29/30, 2003); Day 3 (May 29/30, 2006); Day 4 (Nov. 9/10, 2007); Day 5 (May 15/16, 2009); Day 6 (Jan. 15/16, 2011); and Day 7 (Jan. 14/15, 2015). That being the case, I can see why even the most die-hard of the series' fans would find it increasingly difficult to suspend their disbelief.

If some of his experiences weren't aging Jack Bauer, time sure should have!

I think the show's cosmeticians should start dying Kiefer's hair a brighter shade of white. Like they had to do for Bruce Willis in SIN CITY, to make his character look truly sixty-ish.

Edited on 08/28/2009 12:14pm

Carycomic

[11]Aug 28, 2009
    Carycomic wrote:

Well, let's see. If we assume that it was contemporaneous with the airdate of the series premiere, then Day 1 occurred Nov. 5/6, 2001. Which makes the ensuing math work out like this: Day 2 (May 29/30, 2003); Day 3 (May 29/30, 2006); Day 4 (Nov. 9/10, 2007); Day 5 (May 15/16, 2009); Day 6 (Jan. 15/16, 2011); and Day 7 (Jan. 14/15, 2015). That being the case, I can see why even the most die-hard of the series' fans would find it increasingly difficult to suspend their disbelief.

If some of his experiences weren't aging Jack Bauer, time sure should have!

I think the show's cosmeticians should start dying Kiefer's hair a brighter shade of white. Like they had to do for Bruce Willis in SIN CITY, to make his character look truly sixty-ish.

Agree/disagree/undecided

hapat

[12]Aug 31, 2009
    Who cares, he's like Bond/McClane/Bourne/whoever, his age isn't a factor.

Until he pulls a Riggs and Murtaugh and starts says I'm to old for this ****, every ten seconds, his age just doesn't play a factor.

bauer81

[13]Sep 11, 2009
    • level: 8

hapat wrote:

I agree 100%

Carycomic

[14]Apr 11, 2010

bauer81 wrote:

hapat wrote:

I agree 100%

I'm afraid you _lose_ that arguement with regard to McClane. They showed him in "Live Free or Die Hard" as having lost all his hair to age and stress. And, more importantly, they showed his daughter Lucy now twenty real-world years older!

Edited on 04/11/2010 8:47pm

Carycomic

[15]Aug 28, 2012
    So, I'm afraid you'll have to find a more valid analogy.

mrjimmyjames

[16]Jun 12, 2013

I believe it was a mistake to advance the show four years after season 6 and three years after season 3. I also don't understand why one of the seasons didn't just take place around six months after the last. That really would have helped the problem.

mrjimmyjames

[17]Jun 12, 2013

Carycomic wrote:

bauer81 wrote:

hapat wrote:

I agree 100%

I'm afraid you _lose_ that arguement with regard to McClane. They showed him in "Live Free or Die Hard" as having lost all his hair to age and stress. And, more importantly, they showed his daughter Lucy now twenty real-world years older!

The problem I've always had with this is that I don't think they should give us an age; that way we don't have to worry about it. But they did.

Jack was born Feb 1966. Season one to season 8 is a little over fourteen years. So he would have been 33 in season one. 33 +14= 47

So he's not quite as old as you think. But Kiefer to me has always looked older, even in the eighties; he's never looked young. So I feel like I can buy the portrayal of his age.

Carycomic

[18]Nov 22, 2013
    I agree with you, in that respect: age forty-seven does not equal "decrepit." I'm just saying they--the show's make-up artists--should have made him look slightly older than even _that_ (due to his constant world-saving). To paraphrase Sean Connery from the epilogue of THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER: "A little physio-chronological realism, now and then, is a healthy thing. Don't you think?"

mrjimmyjames

[19]Apr 23, 2014

Carycomic wrote:
    I agree with you, in that respect: age forty-seven does not equal "decrepit." I'm just saying they--the show's make-up artists--should have made him look slightly older than even _that_ (due to his constant world-saving). To paraphrase Sean Connery from the epilogue of THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER: "A little physio-chronological realism, now and then, is a healthy thing. Don't you think?"

I don't think they even want to admit that he's that age (and I don't believe they're operating under the assumption that he's much older than early 40s). This is one of those things that they're hoping the audience won't notice.