Redemption

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 23, 2008 on FOX

• Cool set up for what looks like a great return!

After the disappointing season six, we needed some new or shocking enough to reapreciatte the show. And that´s here!. Jack Bauer is in Africa now, fighting in a war that involves child soldiers. Everything under the watch of a new President, female Allison Taylor, and a conspiracy surrounding her.
    That is the plot of 24 Redemption: a superb prologue to the new season, which is spectacular, cool, nerve cracking, suspenseful... and fresh. Truly new material never try or done before.
    If season seven works in the same way, i will gonna to enjoy a really great season... but not L. A.
    This time, in Washington D. C.
  • 24play

I'm not sure why they thought "Redemption" would be anything more than a vaguely fitting title, but semantics is overrated anyway. As for the actual story, death and misery find Jack Bauer in the made-up Sangala, Africa, where he battles a tiny faction of the country's evil military uprising. And a bunch of characters in a different time zone have their own business to handle. A little torture here, a little political intrigue there. It all works just fine as a standalone venture, but it's even better as a prelude to S7, given the number of ends that are left loose and hanging.
    Say goodbye to Los Angeles, for this two-hour crazefest splits the action between Sangala and Washington, DC. In the latter, female President-elect Allison Taylor prepares to take the throne from Noah Daniels (Wayne Palmer's fate remains anyone's guess), as the creepy, shadowy, Voight-y Jonas Hodges takes measures to hide his secret transactions with General Benjamin Juma, the very guy who's behind the Sangalan coup. This sinister duo gets all of five minutes of screentime here; expect to see more of them in the eventful day to follow.
    Such is the case with many characters, but I suppose that's why they call this a prequel. Two hours (more like one and a half) isn't nearly enough to cover all of these people and stories sufficiently; the main purpose of "Redemption" is to whet our appetites for the season proper, so all whiny whiners should quit their whining. Who ever said this episode would be absolute perfection?
    Ironically, Jack's escapade probably has the least relevance to S7. His killing skills are in full display here, but in hindsight, one can only designate the whole thing as a fun lead-in for his return to the United States.
    One great prequel benefit is the sense of hopelessness in the final minutes. None of the major villains have gotten theirs, Sangala's about to become a dictatorship, and big trouble is brewing for the new occupants of the White House. Plus, we're left wondering about Hodges' motive for helping Juma, as well as Daniels' motive for refusing to assist Sangala. This episode efficiently does what it was meant to do: tease. We can only hope that the tease is building up to a most magnificent television spectacle, as opposed to receptacle (yay for wordplay!). In the meantime, enjoy the change of scenery.

Bihourly Highlight:
    Taylor's inaugural address. Split screen makes anything better. Especially X-rated movies, but I digress.
  • I was expecting more. I mean after waiting for like a year..

Uhm I felt this tv movie didn't have that punch 24 usually packs. you know, the suspense, the action and all. I found it..a little boring at times, sad to say. For example, the whole chunk with jack at the school.hmm i was happy when Jack got back to one man army mode but I felt oddly unsatisfied at the end of it all. I didn't feel for the children that much too but that may just have been me. Scenes I liked were the parting of ways of Jack and Carl and Jack's arrest. I also think this tv movie did a reasonably good job at introducing new characters. However it is not outstanding enough. I hope the episodes in season 7 will be better than this.
  • A nice little 2 hour special..

I was looking forward to this, because 24 hasn't been on my screen for over a year! It's been tough, seriously. But, yeah, I tuned into this and it was a good watch. Set in Africa, it was a nice change from the usual typical 24 episode. I enjoyed it, it had plenty of action, adventure. You know, it was 24. The storyline wasn't bad either..I had first thought that this was meant to be a prequel, but obviously not. The characters were cool, I liked the Irish dude...mainly because I'm Irish. It was sad when he died, and when some of the kids died. Yeah, it was a good ol' watch. Bring on Day 7.
  • It's an ok/average episode. Not really my favorite and I think it can be A LOT better. But this definitely got my hopes up for Season 7: this episode was exciting, pretty informative, and an 'ok' storyline.

The Good: Just seeing Jack Bauer on my television screen again is good enough for me, but other than that were allot of things that made this movie great. The movie took place in "real time" just like 24 usual does with was good.The acting was good in this, Keefer Sutherland did great as usual and Robert Carlyle (Carl Benton) was good on screen. The story line and plot was great considering it was all within 2 hours. The action scenes in this were also very exciting. Another thing I enjoyed about this was how it was different from usual episodes of 24, by this I mean it did not involve CTU or another team backing up jack, this time jack was all on his own with nothing but his two backpacks and trusty side arm.

The Bad: Hmm... not to much to say here. One of the only negative things I would have to say about this would be the sub story line in Washington was a little boring. There is something about The new president Allison Taylor that I just don't like, maybe its just me but something doesn't feel right about her. Also I was a little disappointed that other than Noah Daniels and brief appearance of Tom Lennox there were not any other characters from 24 in this movie though in a way that can also be a positive thing.
  • Meh

Some good bits, but mostly the wounded beast limped along in its shiny new clothes.

So before the fingernails are methodically pulled out, here is the slap on the back:

Jack is Back! Yes, it is good that the show is moving in a brave nwee direction - first woman president with a positive and ideal attitude towards the world! Hils biology and Barack's charisma and brains rolled into one candidate? Why not go the whole shebang and have a female black President? Anyway - the opening speech was admirable and a great contrast.

Cool that it is not in the States for once. Africa is a cool environment and HUGE. Lots that can be done with this canvas.

Interesting to move away from small cuty-crippling terrorists to the big country-toppling ones. Liked how the best and worst of America are put head to head.

Was awesome to get a glimpse into Jack's past and his relationship with his old SpecOps buddy.

And now the bad:

Stop killing likeable characters!

The little black boy was really unbelievable as a character. And rather annoying.

The UN peacekeeper was HUGELY weak. Dammit - you don't need to make them blithering cowards to let Jack operate at his best. And him giving up Jack's position was simply sad.

WHY oh WHY did you not let Sam be the presidential candidate?!?!?! You cruel, cruel writers.

And man, did this plot blow. I could not care less about any of it - none of the characters seemed real - apart from Jack and his buddy. The opening scene was brutal, but it tapered away from that intensity. Even the torture scene was quite limp by 24's primal standards.

Bottom line: Yes, Jack is Back. But dammit, he is let down by the wasted environment and plot. Fix it fast. Does not help that Kiefer was arrested and made to look like a real jerk.
  • Looked like a low budget movie.

I have no idea why they made this movie. The script was very predictable and very simple. So simple that it looks like they gave it to some students for their finals' project. ANother thing, Jack Bower looks like he doesn't care anymore for anything. He got this look on his face like it wont matter for him if everybody dies.

I don't even want to talk about the guy who found some classified files and sent them to his home. And then he goes home and just waiting fo the files to download. Guess what! Surprise Surprise! Those guys, who own those files, did not like the idea of someone stealing them, so they wanted them back. What a genius plot.

And, obviously, those files are somehow connected to a guy from the white house or from the presidency. Obviously. This is just rediculous.
  • unique

the story line being set in Africa is one of the first things that made this movie unique for me, it brought about a contrast to the fast action and speed thrills that 24 normally puts us through. It was set in a quiet, calm and collected background up till the war lords set to recruit youngings for soldiers. At the end of the show I found myself to have enjoyed it due to the contrast it offered as opposed to the almost always quite sophisticated nature of the show I was accustomed to. Overall rating for me, it is watchable and much so enjoyable.
  • Well this is a curious beast. The two hour, sorry, scratch that, 90 minute special prequel to season seven of 24 actually turns out to be more of a 'feature' than a standard two episodes of the programme.

Well this is a curious beast. The two hour, sorry, scratch that, 90 minute special prequel to season seven of 24 actually turns out to be more of a 'feature' than a standard two episodes of the programme; to borrow writer Howard Gordon's analogy, to be 'more of a Western than a conventional thriller'. And he's right: while there is action galore during the space of one harrowing day's 3pm til 5pm, Redemption is really about character... specifically, Jack's character. The narrative establishes Bauer's current mental state and situates it within the narratalogical geography of the show and then sets about taking him from this mental and physical space to that which he will inevitably be in in season seven. Over the course of the 'movie', he takes a journey from hiding from his past to confronting it head on, and it takes the catastrophic macrocosmic events that are going on around him in Sengala to allow him to make the change. Redemption makes no qualms about the fact that this is, first and foremost, Jack's psychological piece: the first half an hour (at least) is dedicated to establishing the relationship between he and his mentor, the wonderful, exemplary Robert Carlyle, and the actual terrorist threat doesn't really swing into gear until around 15:40 (except for that lovely, disturbing pre-title sequence: "kill the cock-a-roach!" is now a personal favourite quote). For the most part, this works well, giving the special an altogether different feel to the show on which it's based. This is also true of the cinematography: the contrast between Sengala and Washington simply couldn't be sharper. Visually, the African sequences are stunning, thanks to both a combination of the highly picturesque climate and the attention to detail by the production crew: even small things like hiring a lorry load of extras (mostly people off the street) to press up against the walls of the Embassy contribute significantly to the creation of a strong level of authenticity. The US scenes, of course, are far more drab: all whites, blacks and greys, but they have their charm too, in large part thanks to the brilliance of the actor playing the ex-drug addict who met a sad end far too soon, and the presence of Jon Voight. Jon Voight! Let's hope he shows up in season seven. Oh, and lest I forget, Peter MacNicol's back! And Powers Boothe! And... it looks like they won't be in the next season. Oh well. At least we got some astonishing performances out of both; Boothe, in particular, makes every scene he's in. Just look at how tired and weary he manages to appear without uttering a single breath when new President Alison Taylor is talking to him. It's astonishing. Cherry Jones is pretty damn good herself actually, coming across very stoic and strong-willed, and standing up well to the might of current President Daniels. Their scenes together are perhaps the most well written of the entire piece and are definitely to be savoured. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come in the White House and that season six's shaky start (thanks to the ill-informed placement of Wayne Palmer) has been firmly put to bed. Overall, this is a refreshingly different kind of 24 'episode', one that takes its time, lets its characters have room to breathe (and even, have a lie on the doctor's couch) and sets up some tantalising plot points for the future, while also delivering very well on the action, drama and suspense front in the later stages of its narrative. The cast is a dream - Robert Carlyle, Jon Voight, Tony Todd! - the visuals are stunning and Jack gets to brandish an AK-47. Honestly, what more could you possibly want?
  • Jack is Back!

24 Redemption proves that a feature film of the acclaimed show can work if developed correctly. This prequel takes us for the first time to another main setting, Africa, where Jack Bauer has taken refuge since he's avoiding a federal subpoena from the US. Although it's not necessary for 24 die-hard fans to be mentioned all of Jack's tragedies over the past seasons of the series, it's still nice that this problem is still hunting his present. Kiefer Sutherland gives another solid performance, especially reflected in his scenes with Robert Carlyle. However, as usual, Jack gets back to usual business when rebels intend to kidnap the orphaned kids of Benton's school to recruit into their army. I understand Jack's total willingness at fighting back to the rebels, because it's for a good cause. All in all, this ended up being
    a solid introduction for the really great seventh season.
  • Only Jack Bauer...

... can smack a man's neck with his calf plus the back of his knee. The episode was exciting in the way that now I'm intrigued to see what is going to happen as a new president (a madame president) takes place on the plot. That Sam girl seemed evil and Roger Taylor (Blake Lively's brother) seemed dumb, but I really can't wait to see if Jon Voight would stay for a whole season. It was not really my favourite "episode", however it is a nice start to the too much expected by me season seven. But, who is going to take care of all of those children?
  • Redemption attempts to make up for lost time since Season 6 with mixed results, falling short of the adrenaline shot 24 is known for.

A few years have passed by since we last saw Jack Bauer. Redemption reacquaints us with Jack, who has been running from his past and the U.S. government and is now doing "God's work" by assisting his long time friend Carl Benton in Africa. A lot of the story feels self-contained within the two hour running time, and it is written well, considering the limited time window, but the story never develops enough to grow a craving for the adrenaline 24 has been known for.

Much to account for this is the opening, which introduces Jack away from all of the problems that have followed him in seasons past. Much of the opening gives us insight of what's happened between Season 6 and Redemption, and it takes awhile for Redemption to get up to speed, and when it does, it does so with little certainty. Once Jack is back on the run, there is a taste of 24, only it's not in Los Angeles and there's no Counter Terrorist Unit functioning to aid Jack.

The story comes to an open ended conclusion, with Jack heading back to the States and newcomer President Allison Taylor taking oath. A sacrifice is made near the end which will bring back some nostalgia to viewers familiar with 24. Redemption deserves credit for trying a few things different for a change, but the prequel will win over very few new viewers and as a whole, it feels stale, leaving a lot for Season 7 to answer.
  • Jack has been on the run jumping across the globe in an attempt to avoid a subpoena. His travels take him to the African country of Sengala where a civil war is about to erupt. Meanwhile, in the United States, the new president prepares to take office.

I will start out by saying it's good to have "24" back after an almost two-year absence due to 2007's Writer's Guild Strike. Kiefer Sutherland steps right back into his Emmy award winning role without missing a beat. That certainly adds to the appeal of this movie. Performances by Robert Carlisle and John Voight are another reason to see this movie. However I agree with another user's review in saying that "Redemption" lacks the punch that is the trademark of "24." However I believe the movie accomplished its goal in getting the viewer interested in the upcoming season. Good movie.
  • if you consider it an episode it was damn good but if you are expecting a hollywwod movie ...

well it has been a while but finally 24 the most exciting and addictive show on tv its back.
    it was a smart move going to africa it felt diferent and after a so so season 6 diferent is god.
    i also liked the united states story this new president seems to be very very good and was a great contrast to the cynical daniels. the conspiracy part altough has being overused was nice and bentons death was very emotional and the use of silent clock at the end felt apropieted . it was a great setup for season 7 and now i cant wait.
    my only complaint is not enough tom lennox p.s:poor jack yet another sacrifice
  • Great show. I believe this time Season 7 is gona be really great given that its going at a much more personal level....Jack is in Africa (gets into more trouble)AND In the US the Government wants him back)

____________kill the cocoroach___________

i laughed my teeth out after hearing this
    from the little South African kids,
    even thought im Africa.

24 is going to be more personal, breath-taking & action-packed. I expact 24 to scoop an AWARD....

if you've always hated 24 just watch this season (7)

____________kill the cocoroach___________
  • Jack is back! (I know, not the most original thing to say, whatever...).

It's good to have 24 back finally. Even though I'll never fully forgive the... yuck, WGA for their silly strike, I can't help but feel happy.

Finally! No more LA, no more CTU, no more Islamic terrorists! It's good to see the show changing a bit after six seasons.

The storyline was great. Africa, that's intense, and painful to think about. While in the US they're having a luxurious inauguration and celebrating democracy (or semi-democracy), in the fictitious country Jack Bauer is in children are being drafted to fight a bloody cup and President Daniels incarnated the worst face of nationalism in my opinion: The idea that "their" lives aren't worth the same as "ours". That just because we're in an arbitrarily defined piece of land we're different, more human.

Back to Jack Bauer, it's interesting that he though he was going to find peace in AFRICA of all places on Earth. Maybe he didn't want peace? Who knows, I think this man is seriously self-destructive and any normal person who had lived all the crap he's been through would have gone mad at this point.

I still want to know what happened to Wayne Palmer. Did he die? Did he quit? Did he suffer permanent brain damage? They could have explained that with one line only. I guess he's just going to the closet of unresolved plot lines like Logan and Keeler.
  • Jack Bauer has fled America over one year ago and now stays with an old buddy from the Special Forces in Africa. Although the American government is still looking for Bauer and this will be the day he will be again confronted with his past.

I was already gone out of my mind since i ever read somewhere there will be a 24 movie although i was sceptic cause 24 naturally takes place in exactly one day, well at least that's the case with the seasons and you can't put a whole day in 2 hours of film.

And with TV Movie 24: Redemption i'm so glad that they didn't try anything remotely like that. The concept was simple make a movie that fills the gap between season 6 and the coming 7th season starting january.

And this is done awsomely well! A great part of the movie takes place in Africa wich it was also shot while the series mostly take place in L.A. this was a change of format but a fresh one and in my opinion something this series needed since the 6th season wasn't all that great.

I think the producers and writers did a great job to make a movie wich can be viewed also by non 24 fans and even completes the story of the movie but also makes a great start for the 7th season. Although the movie has a open ending... But there are many movies or even TV shows wich end with an open ending so if the viewer decides not to watch the 7th season then the story of the movie is told. (on this point i hope i'm still making any sense)

I think if they were ever gonna do another 24 movie, that Redemption is a great example of how it should be done, now that i have seen the movie the rename to Redemption makes more sense to me then the previous name Exile.

Bottom line:
    If you're not a 24 fan, but do like action movies, then you should defininately try to watch this movie.

I absolutely loved it! Was so great to see Kiefer Sutherland back in his old role, and again (and still) doing a great job in being Jack Bauer.

Can't wait till janaury, when the 7th season arives!
    At least i got myself a early Christmas present: the DVD of Redemption.
  • Jack. Bauer.

Season Six was bad, this movie was better then every single episode in Season Six. Was it anywhere near the level of Season Five / Three / One? No, nowhere near. But if this is season seven, I'm a very happy person. Every scene with Bauer was simply amazing and I thought they did a very good job with the new president. It fit right into the timeline of whats going on in America right now, which they timed perfectly with the terms like "Transition Team". Daniels lost the election, which means Palmer never came back to the job after season six. I like the situation in Washington with the son of the president, but they need to be careful not to make it too much like a big government conspiricy, but that worries me that they might. Loved the ending scene with Bauer at the gate. When that guy closed the gate and it didnt look like the children were going to leave I was so...words couldnt describe it. I've never felt so much for a television show except in that moment. That two hours built up to that moment and it delivered. I loved it. Its not a perfect 10, but after so long with no 24 they gave us something to anticipate.
  • Jack is Back

Previous seasons of "24" have received prequels, but they've always been abbreviated affairs with tons of product placement relegated to the DVD sets. Just the fact that they were made at all was something notable. Had it not been for the writers' strike and the postponement of the seventh season, this extended prequel would not exist. The question is this: will these two hours feel justified and crucial once the seventh season begins, or will it feel as extraneous as those other prequels have?

Two things immediately get in the way of true Jack Bauer Power Hour greatness. The first is probably the most obvious: the incredibly blatant product placement throughout the entire production. Highlighting Sprint, Cisco, and other sponsors has always been part of the "24" genetic code. Name-dropping specific services and products from those sponsors, on the other hand, represents a new and glaringly invasive approach. (I'm not sure there are adverbs yet created to convey my annoyance.)

The second problem is, predictably, Howard Gordon. Over the course of the series, Gordon has been perhaps the greatest impediment to the quality of the series as a whole. Gordon has championed the process of making each season up as they go along since day one, and still defends that practice as creatively prudent when the end results have often undermined the strengths of the premise. Gordon also loves to play to the cheap seats, and this entire production is dripping with earnest sentimentality and cookie-cutter intrigue.

That said, Gordon (possibly with the help of the rest of the writing staff) managed to incorporate an interesting bit of character exploration in the midst of the cloying approach to African Human Rights Violations 101. I doubt it was the most obvious parallel in the world, but it was unexpected enough to catch my attention.

First, a quick recap on the story: Jack Bauer has been ducking a subpoena to appear before a Senate subcommittee related to various questionable actions taken by CTU, many of which came at his hand. His travels have taken him to a school in a fictional African nation where a corrupt general, supported by the outgoing US president and his shady ally (played by Jon Voight), is about to stage a coup. The general's methods include the press-gang recruitment of child soldiers, which puts the school in the crosshairs. Cue the return of heroic Jack Bauer, who does everything to save the children at the school, which ultimately means Jack must acknowledge that annoying subpoena.

I've never been a huge fan of mining real-world tragedy for easy sentiment. It's too often a case of borrowing the emotions associated with those atrocities than making the public aware of them (think "Blood Diamonds" or "Rambo"). The treatment of the child soldiers is used to tell us how horrible the enemy is and how heroic Jack is for saving the children from that fate. It's a means to an end. To put it another way: the same exact plot would have worked without the child soldier element, which makes it seem like a calculated addition.

I was a little more impressed by the Washington machinations, if only because they usually give scope to whatever insanity Jack is trying to manage. (I promise, it wasn't just because of those glamour shots of Carly Pope!). While Jack's journey in the film was relatively self-contained, the Washington material was clearly background information to be referenced in the seventh season proper. Those scenes provided a nice primer on the politics at play: the weak outgoing Democratic president covering up his implication in the African crisis, the Republican successor and her family preparing to deal with the fallout.

By far, the highlight of the film was Jack Bauer's internal crisis. The end of the sixth season, besides capping off one hell of a mess, left Jack at his lowest possible point. My hope was that the writers would approach the series as a three-act whole: the first three seasons being the introduction, the next three seasons taking everything away from Jack and stripping him down psychologically and emotionally, and the rest of the series building him back up to either a new man or a fitting sacrificial moment.

In that respect, something needed to push him out of his internal darkness and back into the light. Jack has understood, on some level, the questionable nature of his actions and choices, but he's believed them to be in service to the greater good. It's quite possible that the past several years have driven him to question those beliefs. The Senate subcommittee is just the external expression of internal doubt.

At one point during the story, Jack encounters a UN inspector who avoids acknowledgement of the realities of the situation in the country and any responsibility for making amends. Instead of confronting an uncomfortable truth, he chooses to hide and run. Jack pointedly derides the man's cowardice. (It doesn't help that it feels like the writer is bashing the French through barely-veiled "fiction".)

Yet the irony is rather clear. Jack spits venom at the UN inspector, but what is he doing? He's hiding from the Senate subcommittee by running to whatever remote hole in the ground he can find. He doesn't want to face down the criticism and the accusations. He doesn't want to defend himself. His reasons, when stated, are classic Jack Bauer; he doesn't feel the need to apologize for doing his job. But is that the real reason? Or has he lost faith not only in the government and country he protects, but the rightness of his actions?

By the end of the story, Jack still doesn't see the validity of the subcommittee or the subpoena, but he's given a clear moral choice: do what he feels is best for him, or what he feels is best for others. Making those "others" a bunch of children in peril makes the case more obvious to the audience. Jack makes what is, in the end, a fairly minor sacrifice to ensure that those children gain their freedom.

That's why this film was titled "Redemption". It's not necessarily that his past actions demand redemption (though, on a larger scale, he must reconcile the price he's paid and exacted over the years). It's redemption for the choice he's made to hide and avoid the questions from others that haunt him within. After all that he's done, both heroic and deplorable, it's unworthy of him to turn his back on the consequences, however unfair they might seem in the balance.

Jack Bauer has watched everything he knows fall apart around him. He is a man without a clear purpose. In the wake of this small, heroic action, the question is asked: will he fall even further, or will he pave the way to a new and better means of protecting freedom? One can only hope that the writers, in the seventh season, will be willing to tackle that question.
  • Jack Bauer has to rescue a school full of children in south Africa from being unwillingly drafted into a militia. Meanwhile over in Washington it is an Inauguration Day for the next U.S. President.

So all in all after watching this movie I was nothing short of extremely satisfied. So overall this was a great film. It had great dramatic scenes and intense adrenaline filled action that us 24 fans thrive on. I am really looking forward to the two night four hour premier of 24 season 7 witch will be premiering on fox Sunday, January 11, 2009 and Monday, January 12, 2009.
  • Jack is back in full speed and with everything it belongs. Now I just wait for a season 7. Have always been a great fan of 24 - and I still am.

Finally I had a chance to see 24: redemption
    - Jack Is Back
    I think it was good 2 hours in the company of Jack and the others. Good performance of the actors except perhaps the two cameramen. But I was actually quite pleasantly surprised, had feared that this would flop, because it was a sort of surcharges. Loved the game between Africa and the United States, loved to see that Jack had not lost his soft heart and certainly his raw mentality. I'm definitely hooked on 24 again. Jack is certainly back - and I can't wait for the 7th season to start...
  • good way to lead into the new season...

Ok, as a movie this isn't that good, but as a two-part episode leading into next season, this is great. It introduces all of the new characters in an action-packed format and ends with the cliffhanger that the season will start on. No doubt I probably like this more than I should - but since being 24 starved, this was a great thriller and had me on my toes (well, it was predictable, but still). I liked the character of Bentham - his death was awesome though. Send those bastards to Hell! The kids got annoying at times, but not enough to ruin the movie. I thought it would have been better to have all of the actors genuinely African. Some of the accents were odd. Anyways, this movie had everything - action, politics, characters - but just didn't seem like a true movie. To me, it's just a two part episode. I can't wait for the new season and this is a great way to lead into it.
  • i can say that i was a littel disepointed of the short playing time

I dont realy live in the us, but i aculy downloaded it on the internett some hours after aired on tv.
    and i can say that i was a littel disepointed of the short playing time, you dont realy get that mutch story in just 1h30m. But thy made a good story out of it, and its not perfect, not great but its good. and i have watched all 6 season of 24 before, and this was far from the best, but i aculy liket the style in 24 redamion. But dont forget this is a 2h movie that fox promised us, since thy had to delay season 7 until 2009 since the WGS so thy havent had that mutch time to look over there work. Films like this usely take 1 year or maby alittel more than a year, but thy did it in a littel less than a year. I gave it a 8 out of 10 since i loved the story line and the scripts was just as good as it use to be. and like before i love all the actors who did a great jobb. But i droped to 8 since the story wasent fully tald, so it was a littel cliche missing.
  • Thumbs up to Kiefer Sutherland for giving us a brilliant performance.

The opening sequence caught my attention and it was a completely different production style for 24, which makes this season different from all the others.

Jack Bauer has had many hectic days in his lifetime. Still Kiefer Sutherland manages to make you walk each scene with him. !**(SPOILERS)**!
    I loved the reveal in the beginning, when the boy stole his knife. In this short time I managed to care about Jack's friend and the children, which was why I loved this installment. Though I believed at first that his friend acted carelessly when he stepped on that land mine and it became obvious that they only placed him there to get rid of the army of men after Jack, but still, I felt Jack's loss. His expression when he realized that the blast he heard meant the end of his friend's life was beautifully played.

I actually love these kinds of story lines. I loved the color differentiation from Africa to the US. When in Africa there was the orange color and in the US-blue, which separated each location.

I loved this installment. The only thing I had a problem with was the short time used to warm up to some characters that died in the end and the boy that Jack refused to kill who kept repeating that one-liner from the opening scene; it was just too corny for me. Other than that I actually picture an interesting day lol. At some points I actually forget that all of these action sequences occur in one day. I am definitely looking forward for the next episode. This was actually a big risk for 24, taking on a different production style, set in South Africa, because at the end of the day it all comes down to whether or not the viewers would be able to adapt to this kind of plot line and I would say the writers pulled it off, I certainly enjoyed it.

___________________________

Three out of four stars

___________________________
  • Its not the best but its not bad either.

24 redemption did have a slow start but it got better as Jack Bauer got into his kick ass action mode. Come on thats what we all waited for nearly one and a half years. Some action sequences were very well choreographed. Cherry Jones portrayed the role of the president quite well and the interaction she had with Powers Boothe regarding his loss in the election was one of the best scenes of 24 redemption. Other new characters didn't quite make an impact but i guess they have kept them for season 7. At least thats what i can make out from the season 7 trailers. The ending was good never the less. Overall the build up to season 7 was ok. Now we just wait till Jan 11 for more "damn it" and "son of a bi**h".
  • While it had a shaky start, and an uninteresting side-story, 24: Redemption does what it needed to do.

After a very disappointing season 6, the writers decided to re-think what they wanted to do with the next season. They promised us that they would try to do something different with the story.

Due to the long break between seasons, the writers also decided to give us something extra between seasons, which would help to set up the story that they would tell in season 7, basically like a longer version of the DVD extra that they've had in the past, where it showed specific key moments that would lead up to the following season. And that's really how this movie should be approached.

It did have its own main story, where Jack ended up in Africa, helping a guy named Mr. Benton with a school that he set up there. Coincidentally, at the same time Jack is about to leave the school, there's trouble in Africa, where a group of men have started raising an army of children in order to start a coup in Africa.

The movie moves very slowly at the start, and the first half hour was a bit shaky. I did like the idea of the coup, and it had a very nice opening scene where they showed one of the kids in the army being pursuaded to kill somebody, which I thought was a very creepy scene. After that, it shifts to Jack, and develops his relationship with the kids, as well as his reluctance to go back to the US. I thought that this was fitting for Jack's character, after what happened with Audrey in season 6, and had a few nice moments for Jack, seeing him in this new light, but I think that they could have done a better job at pacing to keep it interesting. Also, some of the scenes where the people were recruiting for the coup could have been written better, because I feel like the writers were going for a much more dramatic feeling, but some of the writing seemed off, and it ended up cheapening those scenes.

However, once the coup story started to connect with Jack's story with the kids at the school, it started to take off from there. The movie did have a lot less action than some of the episodes on the show, but I think that that was actually a good thing. It helped to show Jack as a kind of guardian for the kids, making him seem more human, as opposed to the super human hero he sometimes seems like in the show. There was, however, enough action to keep viewers interested, and move the story along. And the action that was there, was very good.

This main story, with the Africans, and the group of people that were starting the coup, I feel was a nice change of pace from what we got from previous seasons. It was not an attack on LA, or the US for that matter. It was strictly an issue dealing with Africa that Jack happened to get involved with. It wasn't perfect though. It had its rough parts, and some parts were very predictable, but overall, it was just a nice change of pace. And if it was just this part of the story, I'd be very excited about season 7 despite the problems that it had.

However, with the work that was put into coming up with an interesting, new kind of problem that wasn't like anything in the past, they had to ruin it with a side-story that we've probably seen in every season so far. Basically, there's a conspiracy involving this one company, which also connects to the white house. The company is helping to support the coup in Africa, and they also have the help of one of the limo drivers (of all people they could have chosen to be involve, why pick a limo driver?). I really did not care for that story in the movie. One of the main problems that I had with it was the person who almost discovered the conspiracy, Chris. Chris' character was just annoying and pointless. He realizes what's going on, but his friend (the new president's son) doesn't believe him because he's a drug addict, and needs proof in order to take action. I can understand needing proof about the conspiracy, but the drug addiction was completely pointless, and didn't add anything to the story. I guess that I'll have to see where they are going to take this part of the story in season 7 before making up my mind about it though, because they didn't really do much with it in the movie.

On the other hand, there was a small story with the new president. It showed President Daniels leaving the White House, after making one last decision that will probably end up affecting the story in season 7. Basically, he cuts off all support to Africa, leaving them to deal with their own problems. And of course, they have the new president come in and weigh in her opinion on the subject, showing the differences between the two characters. This part of the story wasn't really fleshed out within the movie, just giving you a taste for who the new president is, and showing the difference between her and Daniels. But despite this, I thought it was a pretty good way to introduce her, and was much more interesting than the conspiracy story. It wasn't great, but not bad either.

Overall, this might not be the best of 24. Its stories weren't really fleshed out, even with Jack's story. It only gave you a taste of what's to come. But that was the point of the movie. It was ment to be like the DVD specials that do just that, and in that case, it did do a great job, despite having a few moments that weren't that great. It's too early to say that 24 is back or not, but based on this movie, it does have a promising future.
  • Hugely disappointing...

There were no real issues with this movie, apart from the fact, it didn't really have any sort of content.

The entire african plot was a huge let down, with lots of moral cliches and water trading.

There were only 2 scens that were even remotely exciting. The first one being the first action sequence with Jack taking out like 8 people at once. That was great.

I also enjoyed Benton(sp?) sacraficing himself. While the hour wasn't enough for me to warm up to him as a character, I appreciated his sacrafice very much.

I also found the sense of panic belivable at the end where Jack transported the kids.

The Washington storyline was actually better, I really enjoyed the conversation between the two presidents, John Voight's appearance and surprisingly, I enjoyed the character of Chris. And generally, I like the sens of build up/mystery. Pretty cool.

The ending... Meh. A huge cliffhanger would've upped the score. But this was just predictable.

Overall, this would've worked MUCH better if they dropped the realtime concept and compressed the movie into one hour. This way - it was just really dull. Overall though, a weak
  • Yearning for the good old days...

24 used to be one of my favorite shows on television, but after a so-so season 5 and a dismal season 6, I was hoping during the time off during the strike the writers, refreshed from "vacation", would actually come up with a good story line. 24: Redemption is about as bad as it gets, and the writers have officially gone brain dead. Seriously, the writers couldn't come up with a better TWO HOUR STORY?!?! There was nothing about this episode that was redeeming. It lacked any kind of emotion or ties to any characters we even cared about. R.I.P. 24, it was a nice run while it lasted.
  • Jack's back...but has it been worth the wait? (possible spoilers therein)

When news of the writers' strike came down last year, there was one main reason I was hacked at the revelation: no new 24 for well over a year. While at first I was as decimated as one could be over something as trivial as television, I began to think that this could work to the show's advantage. And tonight's presentation, at least somewhat, gave credence to my theory. Jack is back!

The story is simple enough: Jack Bauer is helping his former CTU colleague and present-day missionary with a school for children in Africa. Pre-teens and adolescents, and teenagers all over the country are being kidnapped and forced into serving as part of underage militias. Eventually children of Jack's friend's school are targeted, and Jack is reluctantly forced to reintroduce himself to his BEST friend--his weapon--to help save the children.

What ensues in Africa is 24 at its near-best, with good action and Jack making impossible decisions at a break-neck pace. What happens in the B story is important enough, with the transition between President Noah Daniels and the President-Elect on her (yes, HER) inauguration day. Beneath the surface is another plot involving her son, one of his deadbeat friends, and a great new villain, played by Jon Voight.

But while Jack's story was exciting and compelling, much of the story back in the States just fell a little flat for me--I feel it overstayed its welcome, and more time should have been devoted to Jack's endeavors. After all, HE is the reason we all watch and love the show. The finale was powerful, and I feel the writers were right in renaming the presentation from the generic and trite "Exile" to the more appropriate and relevant "Redemption."

Now, like I said, I think the writers' strike actually did the show's team some good, because it allowed them to focus--not only with this installment, but it seems they also got it "write" (pardon the pun) in setting up what promises to be a most exciting day of 24.

So let's chalk up day 6 to fatigue and resting on its laurels, and let's get excited about what lies ahead of us. How will Jack defeat the charges the Federal government has set against him? On whose toes will he step? Over whose head will he go? And how does Tony Almeida play into all this? I cannot wait to find out, and 24: "Redemption" has left me wanting more--within the hour!
  • Welcome back, Jack Bauer. We forgot how much we missed you.

After a year and a half, we at long last get to see 24 back and the movie was an interesting way to kick things off. Seeing Jack broken and hiding is a new direction and I enjoyed Sutherland's acting here as he worked with the kids and his friend. Of course, he still pulls it off in the action scenes, which worked amazingly well. Kudos to the effects teams for their great work with the multiple shoot-outs and such, really put things to good use. Caryle was good as Jack's friend and the scene with him ordering Jack gone while he was on the mine was incredibly emotional and you had to cheer for his taking down that colonel. The big moment of course was Jack forced to surrender to save the children and you can tell how it tore at him but he couldn't refuse his duty, which is what we love about him.

It was very good having Boothe and Jones meeting up and loved how he makes her call him "Mister President" through it all, perfectly in character of not wanting to let go of it. Jones seems pretty good in the main role with her drive and that speech at the end was very well done. Voight seems well cast as the bad guy and I had thought there'd be a twist of her son involved with him but it still promises plenty of intriuge.

So a nice stand-alone film that paves the way for what could be one of the best days yet which is good news for lovers of action dramas.