30 Days

30 Days in a Wheelchair

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 10, 2008 on Planet Green

• Very good premise. Poorly executed.

I looked forward to this one eagerly. My wife is a wheelchair user, so it was particularly one I wanted to watch. To say I was disappointed was the least of it.

I was disgusted. Yeah I think it's great that they want to do a disability show, but why are they portrayed as poor accident victims who have to put their lives back together after an accident. There are loads of wheelchair users who didn't have the option of jumping off a cliff to get there. They were born disabled (I come from the UK, where "Disabled", not "Handicapped" is the normally acceptable term).

Here in the UK, if you have an accident, there are loads of grants to help you adapt, but far less if you were born that way.

The main problem my wife has with society is the attitude of the "normal" population. The show glossed over the attitude thing and went straight for the "oh aren't they clever! They have adapted to our society", "Oh look at how everybody has to pitch in and help the poor disabled person" and "Oh look, they can do sports and have sex".

What about the doctors who don't want them to have kids? Or the hospitals where the staff think that as you've had one baby, you won't make that mistake again!

What about the people who assume that if you're in a wheelchair, the kids with you belong to the carer!

What about the people who ask questions of the carer like they're the only person there (to be fair, that was mentioned, but no examples seen over a whole month? I think not.)

What about the disabled people who are too afraid to ask for help because they've heard about people who have had their kids taken away because they appeared to not be able to cope without help.

Good premise. So much potential. Try again.