30 Days

Animal Rights

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 17, 2008 on Planet Green

7.7
  • Morgan's show has wonderful potential to enlighten, but the "Animal Rights" episode is distorted, clearly biased, and extremely worrisome.

As a commercial fisherman, former Air Force veterinary technician/food and sanitation inspector, and certified master teacher I am extremely disappointed at how distorted the entire episode on animal rights was. As a fisherman, the primary function in the troll pit of a salmon boat is to ensure the humane and quick dispatch of any fish that is to be taken. Showing poorly paid, and ignorant men mistreating chickens and calves and implying that this type of treatment is the norm in the food industry wreaks of the type of hysterical hyperbole that PETA is so fond of perpetually disseminating. Showing dead animal carcasses and implying that they will somehow end up in our hamburger after being "rendered" is just absurd. No conscientious human being wants to cause inhumane suffering to any animal, and no conscientious human involved in the animal food industry was given a chance to speak on this program. PETA people would do well to vigorously examine the studies that have shown plants connected to alpha wave machines clearly responding to the act of having their leaves cut. Even the threat of waving scissors at the plants elicits a response that appears to be ALARM. Unfortunately ALL LIFE forms fight to live and (based on the alpha studies) are clearly concerned about their imminent demise. What will we have to eat next? Strictly inorganic goo that comes in tubes, I guess. Programs like this particularly alarm me because I spend considerable time trying to involve troubled youth in sport fishing rather than the gang-related activities that have become one of the most serious and insidious problems our country faces. We all agree that inhumane treatment of animals is not to be tolerated, but eliminating the consumption of all meat products, and the sports of hunting and fishing because we want to tell all our neighbors what to think, how to act, and what the TRUTH is, is beyond pompous, it is inexcusable.