30 Days

Animal Rights

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 17, 2008 on Planet Green

7.8
  • There were a lot of things that were hard to watch in this episode but I guess it has to be seen.

6.1
    Well, we live in the land of free speech and while most of the vegan in this episode were extremists, they are entitled to their opinion. We don't have to agree with it 100%, right? The comparison to the nazi's was pretty ignorant though and that woman should go down to the Holocaust museum in L.A. or wherever she lives and aologize to the poor people that managed to survive that ordeal because there are very few things in history that compare with that and I sure wouldn't be throwing a chicken in the mix!! Come on now, that is just plain dumb. I don't particularly like hunting either but the guy was likeable and open-minded and he was very reasonable and logical about the whole experience, despite the extremist views so that is commendable (next thing you know PETA will be trying to stop tigers from hunting jackrabbits in the african plains, it's nature people, humans are animals too). I don't live on a farm or anything but I drove up the 5 freeway through the middle of California and those cows don't look happy like the commercial says, they look like they're packed into every square inch of land so I have to believe at least part of what PETA says is going on. The problem is not simple though, it's economics. It costs money to raise livestock and consumers want everything cheap so the farmers do whatever they have to in order to deliver the product at a cheaper price. It's easy to say "yeah, treat cows and chickens like people and give space to roam around and be free" but the reality is that most of the hard working americans that live in the city aren't going into Whole Foods and paying twice as much for the free range chicken because they can't afford to. They have to buy the box of Purdue frozen chicken even if they don't know whether Perdue inject their chickens with hormones. The only thing that will ensure the fair treatment of farm animals is government regulation and we can't even get the government to regulate healthcare for humans so we are a long way off...