30 Days

Animal Rights

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 17, 2008 on Planet Green

7.7
  • A dedicated hunter spends 30 days living with a vegan/animal activist.

I was channel surfing and saw only the second half of this episode. I cried through most of what I saw. The dog made me sad, the calf made me happy and the fur stories made me sick.

I think that we've all the videos of the hunting of baby Harp seals. At the end of my review, I've added a fur story that might be too graphic for some. Check it out if you dare.

I loved how the ladies called him Sugar's "daddy" and he said that they talked like that because they were "girls". Still, he went to visit Sugar one last time before he left.

Some others have said that most of the meat industry isn't like that and the episode only showed the worst of it. Most of us will agree that the majority of the meat industry probably doesn't conduct business in that manner. But it's the ones who DO abuse their animals that need to be brought out into the light of day and exposed. Those are the ones that are being spotlighted because those are the ones who need to change their practices. I've heard of egg-laying hens who spend their lives sitting in a cage, just dropping eggs through a hole. When released, those chickens don't even know how to walk. Animals feel pain and fear, too. That being said, as much as Sugar's condition sickened me, that "rescue" was, in reality, "theft". If there aren't any laws against treating a slaughter animal in those conditions, then there should be. Otherwise, what the activists did was morally correct but legally wrong. For those of you who thought that this episode was too "liberal", the one that aired last night should make you feel better.

I heard about African cats that were caught in nets and killed with a red hot metal spike shoved up the rectum. This way, none of the fur is damaged for the "trophies".