30 Days

Anti-Aging

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 22, 2005 on Planet Green

7.7
  • What an obnoxious wife!

Could this guys wife be any more annoying? What a controlling, psychotic witch! I hope she watches herself in this show and realize how awful she comes across. The worst was the scene where she was yelling at him while he was on the phone and telling him he wasn't "doing it the right way." I also found it unbelievably annoying how she kept saying "I TOLD YOU SO!" every time any bad news was dispensed. I feel sorry for Scott (the subject of the show) and definitely think he could have done better for a wife (looks wise and personality wise).
  • If they could have left out the wife...

I think this was a very interesting topic and really wanted to learn what exactly the affects of 30 days on the regiment given would be. However, since the subject dropped out of the game, I will never know. Perhaps this is what we were supposed to learn? Also, I found it very difficult to watch that poor man being nagged and controlled by his wife. If I ever do that to my husband, I hope somebody has the motivation to take me aside and explain to me how to be a pleasant person. In all honestly, the wife ruined the show for me and when I think of the episode, that is what I think of, not what I learned about steroids and taking nutritional supplements. Maybe there should be a 30 Days episode about finding one's self esteem apart from their spouse and seeing if there's a marriage left at the end of the month!
  • The second episode in the series, showing the use of steriods and many other items to bring a guys body back to his former college glory.

This episode looks at the use of steriods and other items to make the body look younger. The episodes starts with a 38 year old man with wife and kids who wants to get back to his old college glory days and reverse the ageing process.
    The episode shows the effects of taking large amounts of drugs to make the body look young. It shows the problems involved with the use, in the Morgan Spurlock way.

This episode was not as good as the first episode in the series, however it was worth looking at and provided large amounts of information and entertainment.
  • Almost completely annoying!

3.2
    I think that Spurlock, after doing such a good job on the first episode, had better re-evaluate the subjects for the remaining episodes.

The focus of this episode was a (young) middle-aged couch potato who wants to regain his youth.

Nothing wrong with that.

The wrong came when this guy's wife got into the act. If a man acted like she acted, people would be whispering and pointing out the Neanderthal and how badly he treats his wife, always bossing her around. I've seen strong, assertive women. There is a significant difference between a strong, assertive woman, and a woman who acts like Wife did in this episode.

When Husband's sperm count drops to zero from taking all the "micronutrients" and HGH and testosterone, Wife throws one of those conniption fits that:

1. does not one thing to improve the situation
    2. returns the center of attention to her (its correct place)
    3. makes sure everyone is paying attention to her
    4. did I mention making sure she is being paid attention to?

As one of those people who doesn't have a child, I really can't get worked up about this woman (and tangentially her husband) suddenly having to labor under (horrors!) the horrible thought of only having the two kids they already have. Here's a tip: be happy with what you've got instead of using the possibility -- the possibility -- of not getting what you want as a way to force people to deal with your undernourished ego.

Spurlock needs to focus more on what the main point of each episode is. This was supposed to be about a guy taking hormone therapy to reverse the aging process (or come as close as possible), not about how it influences his marriage. The wife-husband interactions merely went to prove that once you get married, "you" cease to exist.

The additional flourishes (there are a few other people interviewed briefly) of other anti-aging practitioners didn't impress either.

For the most part, an entire program constructed around vanity. A much more impressive program could have been constructed by using a lot more science. Even a scene about caloric-restriction (the only demonstrated, that's demonstrated as in shown) and how it increases lifespan in all vertebrates it has been tested on, would have helped considerably.

Truly, an unimpressive episode that smacked more of the worst elements of reality-TV than a serious attempt at an informative documentary.
  • Morgan Spurlock is one hell of a reporter. This show is like 60 Minutes for a new generation.

I love how Morgan spends about 80% of the show on the "case study" and the remaining 20% on the subject from a macro-level. His trip down to Tijuana for "illegal" steroids, HGH, etc. was illuminating. None of the articles I'd read (hello, Rolling Stone!) mentioned that you could get up to a year in jail for bringing that stuff back across the border. But back to the episode. I'm also 34 and growing that "1-pack", and I workout on occassion. The doctor's pitch that the testosterone would simply replace what the body has lost sounded logical. I'm so glad that the show took us through the process and showed how liver function can be severly damaged and how once-lively sperm counts can be utterly decimated. I felt really bad for the guy. What could have been a very boring episode was quite interesting!! Makes me want to get into shape!
  • Exploring the topic of Anti-Aging remedies in America, Spurlock puts a former swim star turned coach potatoe to on a hormone replacement and testosteone program.

The episodes opens with Spurlock's typical commentary on the subject at hand; stating his beliefs on how America is one of the veinest countries in the world. From there, you meet the former swim star which complains about his lost vitality and wishes to gain the body that he once had in college.

Information / Educational Value
    The episode it's self may work well in giving insight to those who are looking possibly undergoing hormone therapy or taking steriods. With glimpses of both the bad and good sides of modern Anti-Aging techniques, the decision involve one's self with such programs can be made from an unbiased perspective.

Emotional Appeal
    There is plenty of emotional appeal for the common viewer. The family shown can easily be tied into most typical American families. The showing of the effect of Anti Aging programs on teenagers can allow those age groups to relate. The raw feelings between husband and wife on involving oneself with the risks and gains of an Anti Aging program really bringing to Earth what many must be prepared for.

Conclusion
    Ultimately, the results of the program had it's PROS and it's CONS-- Yet, the episode still leaving a bit of a sour taste in your mouth towards current Anti Aging techniques. Although the episode was presented in an unbiased format-- the outcome and happenings of it could easily change the perception of many people.. Still, the episode was somewhat informative, and definately helpful for those wishing to go through such programs.

-Jago