30 Days

Atheist/Christian

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 09, 2006 on Planet Green

• Every Christian should see this episode!

I gratefully thank everyone responsible for the production and airing of this show. When I first heard it would be airing, I cringed. I worried it would be the typical send up of an Atheist who suddenly ‘sees the light’ at the conclusion of the show or the Atheist as ‘devil worshipper.’ The typical Christian is uninformed about what Atheism really is and isn’t. The way we are usually portrayed in the media doesn’t help. Katie Couric recently repeated on air the tired, old adage, “It has been said there are no Atheists in foxholes.” It was a blatantly ignorant comment... the American Atheists have a strong chapter of Atheists in the military. The broad implication is that we are acknowledging God, just resisting acceptance of God until the chips are down and we are facing our mortality. Meaning no disrespect, but the average Joe in the fox hole doesn’t suddenly start believing in the tooth fairy when the bombs start dropping either.

I like the ‘casting’ of the Atheist, a sensible, reasonable woman with a strong ethical grounding. Most Atheists, I think, would identify with her. The show allowed her to speak to various issues and permitted her to tell the Atheists\\\' concerns regarding the separation of church and state. Many Atheists get shouted down in a public forum. Christians are usually so intent on converting us, we seldom get heard. You allowed us a voice. Thank-you for letting the world see Atheists who are like the majority of Atheists I know.