30 Days Forums

Planet Green (ended 2008)

Animal Rights show

Doug158

[1]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    That show is a blatant PETA commercial filled with biased opinions half truths and out right lies we get enough of that crap from the Liberal Media it is a sad Day for 30 days success has gone to their heads so they are now using the Show to push their agenda and that is just wrong
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scootercandy

[2]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 1
    I was shocked that there was a Mcdonalds and a Quiznos commercial aired during this episode.

ladycatherine

[3]Jun 19, 2008
    • level: 14
    Doug158 wrote:
    That show is a blatant PETA commercial filled with biased opinions half truths and out right lies we get enough of that crap from the Liberal Media it is a sad Day for 30 days success has gone to their heads so they are now using the Show to push their agenda and that is just wrong

what would have been wonferful is if Ten Nuggent had been there to give his opinon to PETA.

marvelfan89

[4]Jun 19, 2008
    • level: 39

I loved this episode well crafted. This guy was a cold hearted bastard and hypocrite (he loves his dogs yet didn't see a problem with the killing of ten animals just to save one person? Haha) What was biased about it? It's contradictory not too mention hilarious for a guy who hunts animals for food or sport calling an organization who fights for animals rights "extreme". Granted I've seen some of the stunts PETA has /illed but that doesn't change the bigger message. Reminds me of the Twilight Zone "To Serve Man" imagine if man was on the main course I'am sure you'd see all this guntrotten hunters do a complete 180. Of course man does neet meat they are just trying to show people who goes into that seeing as how this country has an obesity problem some people should change their eating habits . Then again that's why it's called freedom and you can stuff whatever you want in your mouth. It wasn't biased the guy was able to explain his own thoughts about what he thought about animal killings and the people who are against got their thoughts cross about the situation.
    Edited on 06/19/2008 3:41am

kitty_girl_123

[5]Jun 21, 2008
    • level: 33
    I was in tears when I saw the dog that was going to get put to sleep! But I do agree with Doug158, the entire episode was basically promoting PETA.

scootercandy

[6]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 1
    So, what's wrong with promoting PETA?

windseeker15

[7]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 9
    Doug158 wrote:

I may not agree with PETA on a lot of things, but the fact is that many animals are made to suffer unecessarily and sick animlas are put into food we eat.

I get the feeling that anyhting that doesn't fit your opinions has to be an evil agenda of some sort.

Mind backing up your claims of "lies" and "crap" or are you the one making baseless claims?

Myschly

[8]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 9

Doug158 wrote:
    No come on. This episode was a perfect example of the problem with the discussion.

He came there, with his "conservative republican" attitude, and he wasn't wow'ed by the radical arguments presented to him. He didn't react to the whole "animals are exactly the same as people", because that's pretty damn radical for most people. The "radical" viewpoints flaw was definitely shown. In the beginning of the episode, all the people he met weren't seeing it objectively. Just check the hitler killing jews"-comparison with the animals. The holocaust has absolutely nothing to do with the meat&fur-discussion.

What changed his mind, as with what would change most peoples mind, is the "moderate viewpoint". He said it perfectly, "it's just that I see this suffering, and it's unneccessary". Getting people to become vegan is hard, however, you can get people to support industries that treat animals better.

I belong to the "moderate" school of thought on this. Yes, meat is unneccessary, everybody should eat soy, but we shouldn't use cigarettes, alcohol, gamble etc either, and it's hard to make everybody quit today. But does that mean the situation can't be improved? Definitely not.

In Sweden (where I live), it's become very trendy and popular to buy friendlier products. Eggs from hens that get a little space to move, ecological products, fairtrade products, eco-jeans etc. By paying a little more for the product, the company notices that the consumer cares about things like the environment, workers conditions, treatment of animals, and the company feels the pressure to prove that they care. If people just go for the cheapest price, you get poor treatment of animals, toxic waste dumped in the river near you, and bad conditions for the people working for the company.

It's all about the money, and if consumers show companies that there's money to be made in caring about these things, they will try to be the friendliest, best, most accountable company in the field. Promoting ecological products etc makes a much bigger impression on the market than avoiding the market completely.

basenji529

[9]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 15

scootercandy wrote:
    I was shocked that there was a Mcdonalds and a Quiznos commercial aired during this episode.

If you saw Super-Size Me, you know how little meat and dairy is actually in fast food. (Look at Morgan's vitamin intake chart. Pause it. Even with over 5000 calories, the only one he met the RDA for was vitamin C, from some orange juice at breakfast. B12 was notably absent.)

My main criticism of Super-Size Me was that they interviewed a guy from PCRM. I don't think fast food has used real milk since the 80s, so to say casein (which does have an opiate-like effect when injected) is behind fast food addiction is flawed. Actual fast food addiction can be blamed on plain old glucose. And the elaidic acid in the oil just sets up the mechanisms to make glucose more addictive.

basenji529

[10]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 15

ladycatherine wrote:
    what would have been wonferful is if Ten Nuggent had been there to give his opinon to PETA.

I'd like to see an American Indian view on PETA myself. (I swear, in Indian country, the animal rights people are like the KKK.)