30 Days Forums

Planet Green (ended 2008)

"Same Sex Parenting" episode

Do you think gay people should legally adopt raise children?

  • Avatar of marvelfan89

    marvelfan89

    [1]Jun 24, 2008
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 39
    • rank: Fonzerelli
    • posts: 2,677

    What a nutjob this chick Kati is. Jesus she is what gives straight people a bad name with all of her hypocrisy, sexual discrimination and her boatload of bs against morality. I haven't watched all the episodes but this one really made me laugh a lot.

    First of, she became angry when she felt others were attacking her beliefs yet had no problems showing her disgust for gay people what was it that she said? "The proliferation of gayness" shown openly by gay people.....like if it's a sickness or something. God forbid people show affection for one another;

    She acted like she cared for foster kids but really SHE DIDNT' she cared more about her outdated beliefs (give me a break in this day and age we've seen plenty of straight parents become horrible parents) than them. Anyone who really cared would have seen the bigger picture. I stopped watching near the end (after her hysterical blowup near the getogether at the end) so didn't see whether she saw the light at the end but man it was enough.

    Edited on 06/24/2008 8:30pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of poppyseedbunny

    poppyseedbunny

    [2]Jun 24, 2008
    • member since: 07/05/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 136

    I'm sorry to inform you that there was no change of heart for Kati.

    I didn't expect her to completely change her mind - but it would have been nice for her to open her mind and not just argue ALL THE TIME.

    It was quite frustrating to watch this episode b/c she just seemed soooo stuck.

    Oh well...I guess not every episode is a success...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of marvelfan89

    marvelfan89

    [3]Jun 24, 2008
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 39
    • rank: Fonzerelli
    • posts: 2,677

    Yeah I read up on it on IMDB. I wasn't expecting her to do a 180 she stuck to her guns for the bulk of the episode. In other episodes you see a little change in the character at least in opening their mind. She just came of as a whacko. I know she is a mother with children but she isn't setting a good example for her kids. If anything, this episode was a big win for the gay community in showing the stupidity and hostility the heterosexual community has for them. Still entertaining to watch.

    Edited on 06/24/2008 9:56pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wounds

    wounds

    [4]Jun 25, 2008
    • member since: 02/28/06
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 4,616
    poppyseedbunny wrote:
    and not just argue ALL THE TIME.

    Did we see the same show? She had no, absolutely no arguments she could use. Oh wait... she did... her "beliefs"...

    Everytime a discussion started, she only said "It's against my beliefs" and when people started bringing good arguments she couldn't counter she got angry and left like a little child.

    You could tell she knew she was wrong and how good same sex parenting can be, but she didn't wanted to admit it because it is against her beliefs.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of marvelfan89

    marvelfan89

    [5]Jun 25, 2008
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 39
    • rank: Fonzerelli
    • posts: 2,677
    You guys did watch the same show Poppy meant argue as in she was fighting with them not actually debating (arguing) with them. She did try to debate them at times but eventually lost it (literally) and she was never really interested in what they to say.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pixeewinged

    pixeewinged

    [6]Jun 25, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    I totally agree, that closed minded half-wit is lucky I wasn't involved in that episode, I would have called her out for the imbecile she is!! First of all, she kept spouting a bunch of rhetoric about "morality" - "moral decline in America" "its immoral to "choose" to be gay or lesbian" My first question to her would have been to define morality!! - In the simplest sense morality is only ethics.. and I don't care where your zealotous religion stands on any given topic, it is nothing but ethical to give an otherwise "unwanted" child a loving and supportive home. Secondly I totally agree that she had no argument to stand on, anytime anyone asked her to define or clarify her stance she shut down and refused to carry the conversation on... instead she would start blubbering, and when she was away from her "attackers" and alone in front of the camera she would go on about how God decree's that gays and lesbians are sinners and blah blah blah... however during one of her little fits, she says "I don't have all the answers, I'm not God" - well my dear since that is obviously the case, how dare you presume to know the mind of God?? It is obvious to any thinking person that this woman was a moron, a hypocrite and "morally corrupt" to use her own words. I am sorry that that wonderful family had to put up with her hateful BS - they are definitely bigger people than me, because if it were up to me, her ass woulda been sleeping in the barn! However, I really enjoyed this episode, as some of you mentioned, it only confirms the selfish hatred of certain parts of our society. My only problem with the episode was that they allowed those focus on the family nitwits to spout out a bunch of unfounded and skewed statistics about gays and lesbians, and the children of gays and lesbians - without offering an opposing view, or even an unbiased one.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yroston

    yroston

    [7]Jun 25, 2008
    • member since: 09/05/04
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 11

    I'm sorry to those of you who hated the eppisode. I however really liked it because I obviously agreed with Katies view. I understand that this whole entire argument is based on religion. If you exclude religion then obviously gay and lesbian couples should be able to marry and raise children. However, considering that most of the nation or for that matter most of the world is religious it chages the whole picture. Based on the bible or the koran (Christian, Jewish and Muslim beliefs) homosexuality is punishable by death, and is something that should never be done!! In that sense, it is the same as shooting someone or stealing something. (a lot of you will argue on this analogy) However as a western society we see terrorists as immoral and anamalistic people (rightly so), however in their eyes, they believe that they are doing the correct thing. They justify their actions. The same could be said about the gays and lesbians, they believe that they are doing something that is correct, but in my opinion and all those who are religious it is a grave sin. I must say however that this has nothing to do with gays or lesbians raising children, rather it has more to do with them getting married in the first place. I also agree with katie about actually liking the person as a person. I can like a gay person for being a great person, I however disagree with his/her beliefs and actions.

    So I was extremely happy to see that there are still people that stick to beliefs and religion, and understand that America is becoming too lax in its beliefs which leads to gays and lesbians and from there to polygamy and G-d only knows what else.

    For those of you who are going to argue and say that I am old fasion and too firm, you must understand that YES morality comes from religion. I am a good person because I follow my beliefs and they were made in order to make good people from its followers.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BeeCharmer

    BeeCharmer

    [8]Jun 25, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    To Katie: You kept repeating that marriage and kids have always been about a man and a woman. We'll honey, straight people don't have that great of a marriage record. What would you do if your husband left you? Just think, you would have to raise your children alone. Oh, yeah, based on your beliefs, since there is no man in the house, you would give them up?

    Also, to let the Family Research Project quote all those incorrect statistics really bothered me. He was able to spew all those stats about mal-adjusted children growing up in same-sex households and he cited no sources. Also, there was no counter argument.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Draleex

    Draleex

    [9]Jun 26, 2008
    • member since: 05/27/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    Thank you finally someone who isnt completely ridiculous. I'm glad I saw someone stand by their beliefs. Im tired of everyone accepting gay people like theyre not doing anything wrong. Even if I wasnt a christian and basing all of this off of religion i still wouldnt support gay people. Since no one seems to care about the bible anymore ill give a few reasons why its wrong without using the bible. First of all its completely disgusting, second of all gay people cant have babies which hurts the population, third of all its compeltely against what a man should be, and last of all strait people are the majority and most of us say no gays so there you go no gays.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jmallen99

    jmallen99

    [10]Jun 26, 2008
    • member since: 03/16/04
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3

    To yroston:

    If you want to make the gay issue" about religion (and I'm not disagreeing with you that it isn't), than we should definitely allow them to adopt as we shouldn't be making laws based on one belief or another. That's why many Europeans came to America to escape religious persecution. No one is saying you can't have your beliefs, just respect others who don't do anything that directly harms you.

    You talk about homosexuality being punishable by death, but where did Christ say that? Maybe I'm mistaken, but that just isn't the Christ (or God for that matter) that I grew up with. The problem with Christianity is the CHRISTIANS. They learn and teach about tolerance and loving their fellow man (though not literally - wink, wink) but they have an extremely difficult time in the practice. I grew up in a very small midwestern town in an all white church. So you can imagine that anyone of another race, country of origin, religion, or sexual orientation were not well respected. Is that really what Christ was all about - the same Christ who defended the whore?

    A lot of what you say about religion's condemnation comes, at least in Christianity, comes from the Old Testament. But there are a lot of teachings of the Old Testament that we really don't follow much anymore. Have you sacrificed an animal to your God lately? Why use the Bible as an excuse to hate and condemn? That's not even our job, it's God's.

    I personally think that this will be a moot issue in a couple of decades. We've seen the progression of blacks and women having equal rights. This is just the next thing. It must tear some people apart though to know that the world is evolving and changing and leaving these old ideas in the dust. Katie made a few comments about people voting ("you vote your way and I'll vote my way" - "we'll see"). Well, the people are voting. And they're voting not to tolerate intolerance.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jmallen99

    jmallen99

    [11]Jun 26, 2008
    • member since: 03/16/04
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3

    I did appreciate how calm many of the gays and lesbians were when talking/arguing with Katie, especially when it was clear she had deeply offended them. They were incredibly patient in my opinion.

    And then you contrast that with the heated discussion around the campfire with some heterosexuals who had come to respect the gay's lifestyle, and weren't shy about putting Katie in her place. That's when she lost it - when "her own kind" (more or less) told her she was being an idiot.

    Not that it changed anything though, but it was the only bright point of the episode.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jmallen99

    jmallen99

    [12]Jun 26, 2008
    • member since: 03/16/04
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3

    To yroston (again, then I'll shut up for a while):

    It's interesting that you mention terrorists and attempt to equate them to homosexuals as having equally sin-worthy beliefs/actions, when actually the terrorists analogy more aptly matches that of the homosexual-hating Christian. They both have beliefs that they feel are justified by their religious source. But many of both group's peers are crying foul and saying that is NOT the purpose of their religions.

    The terrorists, as we know, are saying that God (or Allah) is commanding them to bring the fight to the U.S. But, as we also know, the President has been commanded by God to bring the war to Iraq....(pause for irony and to regain my composure).

    So whose God are you following?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of scootercandy

    scootercandy

    [13]Jun 26, 2008
    • member since: 06/19/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3
    Someone should tell Katie that some feel it is detrimental for a fat mom to raise kids!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of marvelfan89

    marvelfan89

    [14]Jun 27, 2008
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 39
    • rank: Fonzerelli
    • posts: 2,677

    Draleex wrote:
    Thank you finally someone who isnt completely ridiculous. I'm glad I saw someone stand by their beliefs. Im tired of everyone accepting gay people like theyre not doing anything wrong. Even if I wasnt a christian and basing all of this off of religion i still wouldnt support gay people. Since no one seems to care about the bible anymore ill give a few reasons why its wrong without using the bible. First of all its completely disgusting, second of all gay people cant have babies which hurts the population, third of all its compeltely against what a man should be, and last of all strait people are the majority and most of us say no gays so there you go no gays.

    Well they're not doing anything wrong so why shouldn't people accept them? Why should we use the bible? I'am no bible expert but it seems outdated and leaves many things open to interpretations. For instance when I have in church or talked to a priest he keeps on refering how "we are all God's children"...meaning gays and straight people there is no discrinimation based on sex or gender or race. Second does it say in the bible that being gay is a sin? I don't think it does. Murder is a sin, suicide is a sin but not bing gay There's nothing disgusting about it. Gay people not having doesn't hurt the population. We're living in an overpopulated nation as it and in some cases this comes from people having numerous babies of which they can't support. IF a gay couple can't have a baby or child there is no reason why they should be able to adopt or raise if they can do it. What do you mean it's completely against a man should be? Do you mean by the regular stereotype of what a man should be? (Macho, bringing home the bacon that sort of thing). Also the argument that there are more straight people means no gays is silly because states like California and Massachusetts are supporting gay marriage. Likewise, same sex parenting is very legal is many states and other parts of the world so thera you go:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_adoption

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LostNaivite

    LostNaivite

    [15]Jun 27, 2008
    • member since: 02/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2
    yroston wrote:

    I'm sorry to those of you who hated the eppisode. I however really liked it because I obviously agreed with Katies view. I understand that this whole entire argument is based on religion. If you exclude religion then obviously gay and lesbian couples should be able to marry and raise children. However, considering that most of the nation or for that matter most of the world is religious it chages the whole picture. Based on the bible or the koran (Christian, Jewish and Muslim beliefs) homosexuality is punishable by death, and is something that should never be done!! In that sense, it is the same as shooting someone or stealing something. (a lot of you will argue on this analogy) However as a western society we see terrorists as immoral and anamalistic people (rightly so), however in their eyes, they believe that they are doing the correct thing. They justify their actions. The same could be said about the gays and lesbians, they believe that they are doing something that is correct, but in my opinion and all those who are religious it is a grave sin. I must say however that this has nothing to do with gays or lesbians raising children, rather it has more to do with them getting married in the first place. I also agree with katie about actually liking the person as a person. I can like a gay person for being a great person, I however disagree with his/her beliefs and actions.

    So I was extremely happy to see that there are still people that stick to beliefs and religion, and understand that America is becoming too lax in its beliefs which leads to gays and lesbians and from there to polygamy and G-d only knows what else.

    For those of you who are going to argue and say that I am old fasion and too firm, you must understand that YES morality comes from religion. I am a good person because I follow my beliefs and they were made in order to make good people from its followers.


    So you're saying that, just because you're religious, I, a bisexual woman, shouldn't be able to marry another woman even if I'm truly in love with her? Wow. Hateful much? I mean, what did I ever do to you to deserve less rights than you have?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LostNaivite

    LostNaivite

    [16]Jun 27, 2008
    • member since: 02/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2
    Draleex wrote:
    Thank you finally someone who isnt completely ridiculous.

    So loving and accepting others, regardless of their sexual orientation, is "being ridiculous"?

    :
    I'm glad I saw someone stand by their beliefs.

    Little hint: Christianity isn't the only type of belief out there. Everyone in this thread is "standing by his/her beliefs."

    :
    Im tired of everyone accepting gay people like theyre not doing anything wrong.

    So what exactly am I doing wrong right now, at 10:17 PM EST, that would warrant you wanting to take away my rights? (And I'm bisexual, not gay just FYI.)

    :
    Even if I wasnt a christian and basing all of this off of religion i still wouldnt support gay people.

    Glad to know your hatred knows no bounds. (Sarcasm.)

    :
    First of all its completely disgusting

    That's just your opinion, and isn't a reason to oppose it (since, after all, opinions can be wrong).

    :
    second of all gay people cant have babies which hurts the population

    Gays are a minority group, so nothing they do can hurt the entire US population. Plus, what about sperm donors, egg donors, and surrogate mothers? Gays can have babies using those options.

    :
    third of all its compeltely against what a man should be

    And who are you to say what a man (or a woman, for that matter) should be? Isn't that God's job?

    :
    and last of all strait people are the majority and most of us say no gays so there you go no gays.

    Got any proof of the bolded portion of this quote? If not, then why should I believe it?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dds_rules

    dds_rules

    [17]Jun 27, 2008
    • member since: 06/21/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 313
    Draleex wrote:
    Thank you finally someone who isnt completely ridiculous. I'm glad I saw someone stand by their beliefs. Im tired of everyone accepting gay people like theyre not doing anything wrong. Even if I wasnt a christian and basing all of this off of religion i still wouldnt support gay people. Since no one seems to care about the bible anymore ill give a few reasons why its wrong without using the bible. First of all its completely disgusting, second of all gay people cant have babies which hurts the population, third of all its compeltely against what a man should be, and last of all strait people are the majority and most of us say no gays so there you go no gays.


    Oh My, YOU NEED TO DROP DEAD. I am a Christian, I am Straight, but yet I feel YOU are the problem in America, YOU are what is wrong. YOUR BEING DEFINES wrong becasue you hate gay people. And your even bais on that! WHat about lesbians? Are they disgusting too? A gay person is a gay person is a gay person. So what they do in the bed has NO EFFECT ON YOUR LIFE. Dude peopel could call regular sex disgusting who are you to judge everything wrong? If you can i can to. But you knwo what I WONT. I am sorry you are not wrong. You are HATEFUL. There is nothing wrong with you youjust hate gay people, becasue you cannot accept them as your equal. Hey I am black, do you hate me? Do you find me wrong? Do you think I belong in Africa? Even if you dont you might as well since you think Gay people are wrong. Yes it is a sin but do you knwo how many other things are a sin that EVERYONE does EVERYDAY? Im sorry but you have just offended the hell out of me. I am 15 and I am SHOCKED that older people can be thsi hateful. I would hate to be rasied in the enviornment you were becasue they OBVIIOUSLY told you if you cross the bible you die.

    I wonder do you even know why sodomy was condmemned in teh bible? Did you ever even read it? If it is worng to be gay then God would punish them. SOM MIRACULULOUS DEITY would immacultly DESTROY ever gay person. Hey but guess what it is also a sin to have premarital sex, touch yourself, murder, think ill will, break the 10 commandements etc.

    I understand everyoen has there views but have EMPATHY. Tell me ho wis one person whom YOUVE NEVER met sexual orientation bothering you? How does this harm your well being? NOTHING. It si just a blow to YOUR ego, and YOUR PERSONAl expectations. I am happy she stood up for herself i really am, but You and EVERYOEN ELSE NEEDS to UNDERSTAND EMPATHY, What if your children, or parents or relatives were gay Would you call them WRONG? Would you call them abominations?
    If you can say to yourself you would then you are selfish because YOU cannot accpet teh person fo rwho they are or want to be. That woman has every right to believe the way she does but shge is SELFSH because she cannot accept them. She cannot let her idea of the world be torn apart by teh reality of millions of others.

    I may be young, but i damn sure know what I am talking about. My best friend is bisexual, I knew her ever sicne 1st grade, and i stod by her in 6th when she realized she likes girls. So don't ANYONE say I cannot relatre to what I say.

    Sorry but intolerance and hate.. Just make me wonder whats the point of diversity if people wnat to be supremeist..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fatewemake

    fatewemake

    [18]Jun 28, 2008
    • member since: 11/29/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 23

    That woman was an extreme close-minded moron! She actually thought that sweet elderly lady was attacking her when she just calmly expressed how she felt after the insinuation that the way she lives her life is immoral. The reason she "lost it" is because she doesn't have the intelligence to carry on a conversation or debate an actual viewpoint. She was far too stupid to figure out her hypocritical statements.

    Note to the producers: the show will have a lot more interesting and poignant moments if you find participants with an open mind (or at least one that is not closed) and an IQ above 80.

    Note to the homosexual parents: you are awesome people, great parents, inspirational and a hell of a lot more patient than I am (and I'm heterosexual).

    Edited on 06/28/2008 12:25am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ksskidude

    ksskidude

    [19]Jun 29, 2008
    • member since: 01/09/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    I just want to puke when watching an episode like this. Katie is an idiot and her religious beleifs needed to be challenged. I would have asked her first of all to prove to me that her god even exist's. Then I would ask her if she wears the "magic underwear" that Mormon's wear? How in the hell does she know what god thinks and or wants? Apparently god, if you believe in the fairy tale sort of thing, didn't want her to ahve children to begin with. That's why she is baren and had to adopt. Secondly if god really does answer prayers like she said, then why doesn't this so called god ever answer the prayer's of amputee's?

    I am just astounded that a woman of "faith" would rather force her arcaic belief's on society instead of having children live in a loving enviroment. Katie, people do not "CHOOSE" to be gay they do not "LEARN" to be gay They are gay or they are not gay It is really that simple. One more thing, since she is a so=called believer in magic sky pimps. If god is the creator of all things, then why does she got her panties ina bunch about homosexuality? god created it, and therefor she should accept it.

    Finally, I think that most of you reading this post will have deduced by now that I do not believe in a god or god's, and it really pisses me off when people try to legislate based off those belief's, i.e. stem cell research, gay marriage/adoption. People you can believe whatever the hell you want, but once you rty to enact laws based off those unitelligent, irrational beliefs, then you open yourself up for ridicule!!!!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of windseeker15

    windseeker15

    [20]Jun 30, 2008
    • member since: 01/08/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 1,122
    Draleex wrote:
    Thank you finally someone who isnt completely ridiculous. I'm glad I saw someone stand by their beliefs. Im tired of everyone accepting gay people like theyre not doing anything wrong. Even if I wasnt a christian and basing all of this off of religion i still wouldnt support gay people. Since no one seems to care about the bible anymore ill give a few reasons why its wrong without using the bible. First of all its completely disgusting, second of all gay people cant have babies which hurts the population, third of all its compeltely against what a man should be, and last of all strait people are the majority and most of us say no gays so there you go no gays.


    Hate to break it to you, but they aren't doing anything wrong. People once thought of interracial marriages as disgusting.
    If anything, population needs to go down before the planet is overwhlemed. According to your argument, infertile people shouldn't be allowed to marry either.
    Can you cite a source for "most of us say no gays?" A statistci, anyhting? Thought not. The population of the trailer park you probably live in does not constitute "most of us."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.