30 Days

Gun Nation

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jul 01, 2008 on Planet Green

7.1
  • The show is about the misadventures of an anti-gun activist, Pia, who lives for 30 days with a pro-gun family in a rural Ohio town.

It is well worth watching to see what sort of delusions some people hold on to, but can be painful to watch at times. She goes in with the contention that no one ought to own a gun. We briefly see that she lives very close to a Boston suburb ghetto and her discussion of how guns have brought ruin to the ghetto... without realizing that Massachusetts is one of the most difficult places for legal gun ownership.

We even get to hear the oft-quoted "fact" that 30,000 people die from firearms every year. Yes, it's truly sad and frustrating. However, it is not ever year -- it swings, even going down to 10,000. Yes, even 10,000 is too much, but some death and accidents cannot be legislated out of existence -- just a fact of life. Alcohol is tightly regulated, more so than many European countries, yet we face more alcohol deaths than them. Alcohol causes 70,000 deaths in the U.S.

We see her and another woman crying on their first real handling of a firearm. It's really sad that people can live so isolated as to cry upon handling a gun. Certainly, it's understandable if a strong, traumatic event was a first-hand part of a person. Yet, the strongest we see: Pia's anti-gun crusade is due to someone semi-close to her being hit with a firearm. Instead of a murderer being persecuted, their tool was. Do people cry when the handle knives? Do people discuss legislating knives since it has been used in many documented murders? It may sound ridiculous, but they're doing just that in the UK as UK knife crime soars (the UK is a "gun-free" society).

Eventually, she comes to realize there could be reasons to own a gun. The least of all is entertainment, where you can tell she is slightly entertained once she finds a gun that fits her... but she won't admit it. She does instill some positivity, though; she encourages the son in the pro-gun family to more seriously consider college. It doesn't end very satisfyingly, but well worth the watch to understand "the other side".