30 Days

Muslims and America

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 29, 2005 on Planet Green

• EXCELLENT! Just one suggestion....

I think there should be a show about living for 30 days as a muslim WOMAN. There are all of these stereotypes that muslim women are oppressed and that muslim men abuse their women or think they are inferior to them. Although there are some situations (mostly in Saudi Arabia) where this is the case; on the whole, muslim women are not oppressed and are instead protected and cherished by their fathers and husbands. In fact, not being objectified enables women to be viewed for their intelligence instead of their bodies and beauty. I mean, did anyone watch the 'unraveling of Tutankhamen'??? Women in hijab were there in the lab, cloning Tut's DNA! It would make a great show---a feminist living as a muslim woman or a headcovering christian.
  • One of the greatest episodes this show has ever seen. I'm a Jew from Israel and it was an amazing episode to watch.

Like I said in the summary, I'm an Israeli, and I was a bit apprehensive to watch this episode.

So many things about Muslims were revealed in this episode, I'm shocked it wasn't a complete success when it came out.

Personally, I thought Jihad was the act of killing yourself for Muhammad, and was surprised to learn that it's an act of cleansing yourself, of a kind of purification.

This episode presented me with so many new things, I was just flabbergast. It's nice to know (although we all know it in some way or another) that Muslims are not all bad. The problem is how to know who is and who isn't. But...it's true to all the other religions...
  • I am a studier of many religions. this episode was just what america needs to see, along with perhaps many more shows like this one.

thoreau once said "It is never too late to give up our prejudices."
    I hope this episode will start an awareness among the few or so americans that watch this particular episode. There are many great religions out there. muslim being one of them. We are truly all in america and its sad the ignorance of many people in america. They are being afraid of what they do not understand.

30 days just a small amount of time to bring someone to a new understanding of someones culture. If we could all do that. There would be very few wars in this world.
  • Good episode but could have been better

I think this was a good episode which delved into many of the aspects of Muslim culture that most everyday Americans know nothing of, but it has two major flaws. Other than the dinner conversation, where the Muslim family really dodged his questions and tried to avoid the subject of terrorism, there was almost no mention of the radical fringe of Islam, and (in my view) more importantly why more mainstream Muslims don't publicly renounce terrorism, comitted (falsley) in the name of their faith. The second problem I have is that, nice as he was, Dave was not a good choice to carry the banner for Christian Americans. He was a fundamentalist from West Virginia, and it has been my experience that most fundamentalists have a "forrest for the trees" mindset when it comes to knowing thier faith, the Bible and the teachings of Christianity. For instance Dave had no response when the imam talked about how drinking alcohol is forbidden in the Bible. It is not! Nowhere even close does the Bible forbid drinking, but Dave did not know that and could not respond. Nor could he rebut well other misconceptions Muslims had about Christianity. Instead of a fundamentalist, I would have much rather seen a Roman Catholic (who use wine in their liturgy for crying out loud) or a mainstream Protestant, like a Methodist or a Presbyterian, who would be better equiped to debate theology with his hosts and their teachers.
  • Terrific concept for an episode... much needed. I only gave a lower score because this subject matter is tough to scratch in 30 days. Much left untouched, by necessity. Next, the reverse -- a muslim among jews?

The participants seemed well chosen. Nobody, mercifully, seemed fanatical. There were a couple of things the Muslim community seemed to get not quite right about Christian doctrine (\\\"drink is illegal\\\" for instance). And that dinner conversation, I would have liked to see go on longer.

Also, it might have been stronger if we\\\'d seen not just how the muslims are at home... or predominately that, anyway... but maybe to see them at work, in a modern context. That second Imman in normal clothes... very distinguished...

There\\\'s a lot about Islam that\\\'s caught up in a very different kind of tradition that can seem very old world. And that\\\'s fine. We can learn from seeing that. But it\\\'s eye-opening to see that they can also lead very American, very modern lives too. I guess we did see some of that... the softball game, etc.

I\\\'d love to see this done again, but with other mixed themes. Maybe a muslim from this community that goes among jews or Christians for 30 days. And then, only a little further from this theme... a white blue collar worker living with migrant Mexicans... or among urban blacks... and vice versa... a black city kid in a white community...

On the whole, i thought it was a good episode.

The airport stuff and the petition signing, particularly eye-opening.
  • It's very interesting, educational, but it seems like we have to adopt to new reality of living side by side with muslims...I beveive it is wrong. First step have to come from muslims, because they came in country with srtong Christian tranditions...

It's very interesting, educational, but it seems like we have adopt to new reality of living side by side with muslims...I beveive it is wrong. First step have to come from muslims, because they came in country with srtong Christian tranditions...

Why don't muslims try to come at christian home and try to learn something about how we live, what are our customs.

I do appreciate that muslims serious about their religion, but it must not intefere any other lifestyle...like this loud sound from mosk on street in the episod for example. It has noting to do with religion or God, it is just a custom. And keep in mind it is not a muslim counrty at all!
  • Important. I had a conversation about the topic of Muslims and it wasn't pretty. The next day I saw this and felt embaressed.

The night before, the conversations were intellectual but bordering on racist upon review. This program made me realize why I had been so uncomfortable the night before. People need to educated. This was a great way to do that.

I do feel that Muslims or any foreign culture choosing to live on our continent should adapt to our culture ratheer than the other way around. Still...this episode proved to me that we as North Americans need to understand those coming into our country. Ignorance breeds prejiduce. Sorry about any spelling errors. It's late.
  • I'm frightened and enlightened

I love watching this series, but hope other viewers are as aware of the editing as I am. Sometimes it's obvious that things aren't as tense or tedious as they seem; however, other times, the flow makes it apparent that uncomfortable moments occur in front of the cameras as they do in "real life". This IS real life.
    I found the Muslim portrayal finally informative rather than just another news report that says, "Muslims don't believe in (suicide, murder, fill-in-the-blanks)" and then don't go to the depths necessary to explain what Muslims DO believe in.
    The portrayal of the white-bread Christian was more frightening than encountering any Muslim. It seemed that no matter how simply or clearly or emphatically someone explained there was only "One God" involved in their worship, this guy repeatedly insisted he felt it would be wrong to worship "another God". This could have been just good drama as set up by the editing I mentioned, but just in case it wasn't, it's of concern how sheltered (uninformed) some people may be. I was raised in an old fashioned parochial (Catholic), private school with nuns who had parental permission (they didn't need) to crack knuckles with rulers and scrub any traces of make up off students faces. Boys and girls weren't allowed to eat together or walk down the hallways together and most classrooms were segregated as well. Uniform skirts were measured for below-knee length and kids were taught to pray the rosary whenever an "impure thought" (of sex!) entered their minds. OK? We're talking STRICT! Still, it was in this atmosphere that I learned about other religions and that they may have different views about important details (or not important details?), they had "our" God. We even learned "His" different names, from Allah to Yah'Way (probably spelled really wrong). We learned about Buddah and Abraham and all the rest. We were told in no uncertain terms back then that we'd be sinning if we attended some other religious service (I guess that's been retracted these days), but we never once thought there were different "Gods" believed in by other mainstream religions.

The most rewarding part of this series and this show in particular is when the "uninformed" opens up and learns something. Opens up being the key. Once we open our minds, our eyes just follow and it's so much easier to open our hearts as well. This series is teaching tolerance with episodes like this and showing how we can be respectful and coexist without giving up (or demanding others give up) one's beliefs.
    With information, the frightened often become enlightened and it's so much better that way.
  • Funny, Real, & Educational!

We need more shows like "30 Days"...It basically takes a courageous step forward, in this time and age, to educate the masses and remind everyone that Muslims are people and not all of them are BAD!!... Like everyone else, we have "THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY" :)

Thanks Again for a Great Show!!

Tawfiq & Family
  • This type of show needs to be part of our educational system.

This type of programming needs to be part of our educational system. More Americans need to be exposed to programming like this to open the minds of those who have limited scope in their lives and jump to assumptions about topics they know nothing about. If our educational system taught more people about the real facts of subjects they are not knowledgable about, Americans would not have near the amount of fear that they do, and would be much wiser, cultured individuals living in a more peaceful society. But I guess if this happened, those who count on using that fear to gain a following of people could not rise to the top in the multiple areas where power is abused here in America.
  • Good episode, good view into other cultures from the inside out, not the outside in.

When i first saw the ads for 30 days i only saw the ones for \"30 Days on Junk food\". I wasn\'t too interested in that, but i watched \"30 days on minimum wage\" and \"30 days living as a Muslim\" and i really like the show.

It\'s good information.

\"30 Days living as a Muslim\" shows that just because you practice the islam faith doesn\'t mean you sit at home all day planning your next attack. I think he said it best, you can\'t judge the whole islamic faith based on the actions of a few very narrow minded individuals. There are radicals in every main stream religion.
  • Information is something that can bring people of all races and religions together. Morgan Spurlock does it yet again with his newest episode of 30 Days, submerging your everyday hardworking Christian male, in the shoes of Muslims everywhere.

Preface Note
    As a African American Muslim, this episode gets my SEAL OF APPROVAL

Background
    Morgan Spurlock has become known for bringing informative movies and shows to the small and large screen alike. Your average-everyday Christian male was taken from his home and placed with a Muslim-Pakastani couple for 30 days, to really explore what it is like to be a Muslim in America.

Emotional Appeal
    For Muslims and most other Americans this was an extremely touching episode. The belief that all Muslims are not terrorist was learned by todays 30 Day challenger by allowing him to see that Muslims can be your neighbors, your friends, and even your family. For those of the Islamic faith, the episode provided a sense of relief to really allow people to see that not all Muslims wish to do harm. Seeing how receptive the family and people were to the David Stacy really softened the stereotype of many Muslims in America.

Information / Education
    By allowing people to learn from David Stacy's experience, many misinformed people were allowed to learn alot of the religious values and premises that support the Muslim religion. For many, this experience would not been something that they would of learned on their own, and although the experience was relatively short, it still left a lasting impact for many people on how Islam is far more close to Christianity (and other major religions) then they may think.

Conclusion
    This episode was presented from an unbiased perspective. The Muslim side of the argument was allowed to really state their views on the role they play in America in hopes of trying to better the world, instead of make it worse. Contrary of what many people once thought, not all Muslims have thoughts of ill-intent, and live just as anyone else. There is no true religious-driven hate for Christians or anyone else. In the end, Muslims just want to live in the best world possible.

-Jago