30 Days

Muslims and America

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 29, 2005 on Planet Green

• Good episode but could have been better

I think this was a good episode which delved into many of the aspects of Muslim culture that most everyday Americans know nothing of, but it has two major flaws. Other than the dinner conversation, where the Muslim family really dodged his questions and tried to avoid the subject of terrorism, there was almost no mention of the radical fringe of Islam, and (in my view) more importantly why more mainstream Muslims don't publicly renounce terrorism, comitted (falsley) in the name of their faith. The second problem I have is that, nice as he was, Dave was not a good choice to carry the banner for Christian Americans. He was a fundamentalist from West Virginia, and it has been my experience that most fundamentalists have a "forrest for the trees" mindset when it comes to knowing thier faith, the Bible and the teachings of Christianity. For instance Dave had no response when the imam talked about how drinking alcohol is forbidden in the Bible. It is not! Nowhere even close does the Bible forbid drinking, but Dave did not know that and could not respond. Nor could he rebut well other misconceptions Muslims had about Christianity. Instead of a fundamentalist, I would have much rather seen a Roman Catholic (who use wine in their liturgy for crying out loud) or a mainstream Protestant, like a Methodist or a Presbyterian, who would be better equiped to debate theology with his hosts and their teachers.