30 Days

Outsourcing

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 02, 2006 on Planet Green

• What a great show!

I really like this show. I'm not a part of the Neilsen rating system so I don't have to critique whether this show is accurate, degrading, or whatever. Its accuracy ISN'T the point - believe it or not, it's a comedy and that's all. Nobody is trying to make a "statement". For you people who think that this new TV show is degrading or whatever, you obviously need to "get a life" because you take yourself WAY too seriously. I work with Indians (located in the U.S. and "offshore") and believe it or not, they have a very good sense of humor and also probably think this show is entertaining and funny.
  • Outstanding and balanced depiction of the reality of outsourcing.

This is an outstanding show, showing the reality of how outsourcing impacts India. The lives and attitudes of Indians are very accurately captured (as much as one can in a 45 minute show).

A number of Indians have written negative reviews of this show because of "how it portrays India." This is very very sad in a number of ways. I am Indian, and I'm ashamed of how so many other Indians try to ignore the deep problems and suffering in India, and even worse, get mad when these problems are depicted. I am ashamed because, much more than here in the USA, most people who are well off in India truly feel that they are better human beings than their poorer brethren, and feel that the poor get what they deserve (or perhaps get more than they deserve). That's why, when such people are shown on television, many well-off Indians think "Why would they show such people? Why not show all the smart elite Indians? They are ones who matter."

Of course, we in the USA have the luxury of not having to see such intractable and systemic poverty every day. We can be shocked by it. In India, heartbreaking scenes of exploited and suffering children are commonplace, and one feels powerless to help. It is easier to blame them for their own troubles, even when you know it is a ridiculous thing to believe.

Those interested in doing more to help should consider giving to such charities as Asha for Education, or AID India, where 100% of donations go to organizations on the ground in India (volunteers handle all overhead costs).
  • I think it shows how billionaires run the world.

The show took this man to India to find the answer to whether India is taking the jobs away from America. I think that when the show was over the answer was "no". He realized that it wasn't them taking the jobs away, but the billionaires were just moving the jobs.

Personally, if I had a million tax-free dollars I could live off that for the rest of my life so I don't know why billionaires feel like they need more money.

They move the jobs to India and pay the people less. I don't think it's because they can live on less, but because they will work for less than Americans will. I couldn't someone over there could of been working for a company for years and have people under them and still be living in squaller.

It does make me sad, but there are people in this country that don't have homes and have jobs. It's a bad situation and I think unless changed it will only get worse.
  • Its exactly what it is. The perspective of the general state of poverty of the country of India renders the issue of "outsourching" completely irrelevant. By far the most effective episode to date.

I lived in India from 2003-2005, working for a non-profit organization. Never have I seen such an accurate insight into the social, economical and cultural elements of India, fully displayed on american television. Albiet, the entire episode took place in Bombay (the most modern/westernized city of the entire country), it still showed the accurate juxtapositions of India's select wealthy and bulk below the poverty line. If you were to travel elsewhere, the casm between the priviledged and the impoverished grows even wider. Thanks 30 days for drawing attention to this tragedy of injustice taking place on the other side of the globe.
  • The episode proved to be more revealing of the Indian society than I anticipated. It revealed the many struggles that the society is currently going through in it's quest to become like America. So why should we blame them??

The episode was very well made. The episode is a great example of how America is changing India's society. It clearly proved the jobs the "Big American Companies" are providing are major catalysts in reforming their society, believes, and culture.

It was particularly entertaining to see how a womans role is beginning to transform for a "home maker" to a working young professional and how the men are struggling to accept this change in role.

I really enjoy this show because it brings out the human in everyone and it also lets the viewer, for a short period of time, enjoy and educate him or herself on how the other side of the world lives. This is truly a reality show.
  • A witty American computer programmer travels to the silicon valley of India and discovers the Indian\'s passion for telemarketing and a lot of pollution.

The personalities make this show a winner -- a surprisingly witty and charming American computer programmer and a Bangalorian family who deals with the demands of capitalism and their cultural traditions. American companies send their programming tasks to the silicon valley of India to the chagrin of Americans who one day are making a good living and the next looking for work. It happened to our programmer host. Now he's going to India to see the people who replaced him.

Before he leaves he has dinner with his family to talk about outsourcing. His dad is pragmatic, saying that without cost cutting American companies can't compete. Our programmer's mom says it's all about the Almighty Dollar. Their opinions reflect the planks of major American political parties.

Bangalore is a technological boom town complete with shiny new buildings and horrendous traffic. The contrast between the city where our programmer lives and Bangalore couldn't be more profound. Our traveler discovers that Indians are enthralled with telemarketing and are learning how to speak "American" and follow a sales script. They work for a fraction of what our programmer made back in the USA. In the USA, telemarketing is a scourge. Our guy takes on a job hawking a credit card program. Turns out he works at night to reach other time zones thousands of miles away. Indian culture is to keep a family intact, so inlaws wives and brothers live in the same home. The home, like the city's environment is a sight to see. A hornet's nest is in the upstairs shower. Rats run around chased by the family dog. The dog wins and gets a fast meal. Outside, "sacred" cows roam the streets. Garbage pickup is not in the cards. And, during our guy's visit there's a riot because of the death of a famous actor who supported the poor. The word is a conspiracy did him in, so they break windows and burn cars. Much like New Yorker's, the locals take all this in with a shoulder shrug.

America's poor are rich by the Indian poor. They live in squalor. Children roam the neighborhoods in tatters. The poor we meet are supervisors of clean up crews. What comes clear in the 30 days our friend is how both cultures are struggling with economic and social change. Two job families in the US is of necessity because of high costs. The Indian culture is much like ours in the 1950s -- stay at home moms who fend for their husbands. The new boom hits our host family hard, and the husband is torn between the old and the new. The brother\'s wife is bent on getting a job and her husband feels neglected. He accepts his fate but doesn\'t like it one bit.

But our progammer friend finds the Indians upbeat and positive, in an environment that would turn we Americans off. When the 30 days are up, our progammer is glad to go home -- away from a place that lives in both the 21st and 18th centuries. He is emotional about leaving his new friends and even more so to return to his girlfriend and new baby. We learn to know and like him and gain more understanding of the meaning of a \"world economy.\"

• This show was very representative of the life of many Indians. It showed both the good and the not so good. Not everyone lives in poverty but not everyone is rich either.

I have very good friends in India. I spoke with them following this film and they confirmed everything in the episode. India is a developing country. They have come a very long way in recent years in large part because of the new jobs made available through outsourcing. There are also a huge number of people living there in concentrated areas. Well-to-do live in among the poor as shown. The home he stayed in was immaculate and the family obviously educated, however, right outside was the garbage. I don't think the creator was suggesting that there are not Indians that do programming or any other host of high level, high tech jobs. That doesn't change the overall status of things as they currently are.
  • The perspective needed

Having been in a similiar situation (but on a smaller scale) regarding the outsourcing and having similiar grievances (no matter how much I try to be tolerant of the situation) about America doing outsourcing, I was intrigued enough to get ahold of this episode. It taught me alot and it gave me new perspective as well as affirming some ideas I had about this whole thing. Meeting the families was a pivotal moment and seeing the struggle that the couple goes through in managing time and still retaining good relationships was also very informative. Thanks for your perspective, 30 days!
  • Outsourcing to Asia is just another form of slavery and non-beneficial to the general U.S. public.

First, I've worked in the tech industry for many years, including the manufacturing sector and have witnessed first hand the impact of outsourcing American jobs to India. When watching this show I realize the producer was attempting to make us feel better about the whole idea, however it only made me feel stronger that we, the people, should not support, buy from companies that outsource over seas. For those readers who are African American, did the homes an poverty shown in this episode bring you to realize that this outsourcing is nothing more than finding a way to continue slavery? We have no right bringing our culture to these people let alone give them our jobs. The impact of our occupation in India has yet to show it's ugly face to the world. For those who run "global businesses" and say "a global economy helps the world" is full of it. It's their way of trying to hide the fact that they, the C level executives, are the only one's who benefit from outsourcing.
  • I am embarrassed to be an American after watching this episode because Chris is a poor excuse of an American. He continues to question the family he is staying with lifestyle. Plain and simple, Chris is damaging that family and needs to go.

4.5
    This was an interesting episode. I never knew about the job opportunity in India. I hope that if there is going to be another episode as this one, please don't ever get a person like Chris again. There was a riot and he is asking millions of questions instead of trying to leave for safety. The one thing that hurt this episode was when Chris kept asking the man's wife if she enjoys working at home or want to work outside the house. She didn't want to answer but he kept pressuring her. He was very wrong for doing that.
  • This is about the episode on Outsourcing to India. It was my least favourite of all his episodes yet. Morgan Spurlock needs to get out of the \'American Mould\' where Third World Countries are always shown in a bad light!

4.2
    I think Morgan\'s show on 30 days in India was very weak, where this laid off programmer from US goes to India to get his job back!! First of all he should have gone to Washington DC to the White House and protested there if he wanted his job back! It\'s his govt.\'s decision...dah!! U can\'t even figure that out!!!
    Secondly it was very demeaning, patronising and insulting towards Indians...the way the fat slob who went to Bangalore was talking about India and it\'s people. Everyone loves their country more...trust me, just like u love living in the US, Indians love living in India...And of course Morgan has to make India look bad to the Western world by showing all the bad things and not concentrating on the good ones! It obviously gives him and the \'laid off\' people whose jobs have been ousourced a feeling of superiority even though they have lost their jobs, by portraying India in a bad light...it\'s not as bad as he made it look and thats a fact! Your\'Holier than Thou\' attitude was nauseating and guess who has the last laugh anyway!!!
    Indians are not trying to be like Americnas cause we have a very beautiful culture and tradition. By staying with one family from South India doesn\'t mean he\'s figured out North, West and East India or even the rest of South India. It was specific to one family only and no, Telemarketing is not looked up on as a very good job, it is one of the lowest white collar jobs in India too. Indians pride in their education and professionals more than any other country in the world.
    India is a huge country, going to one city and one home doesn\'t show the mindset or life style of the rest of India. It was just an episode made for the target audeience which is Americans, who know no better than what they are shown on TV. It was just made to make them feel better about themselves, that\\\'s what they are best at anyway!!! I did not see the purpose of the episode except to give\'a feel good\' feeling to Americans.
  • Bleeding heart documentary appealing to viewer's emotions about outsourcing, low on facts and insight into why jobs are actually being outsourced.

1.8
    People who are afraid of outsourcing don't understand that we are living in a global economy and that with advancing technology this is going to be the way things are from now on.. companies can and will source work to whichever workers can do that work the most efficiently for the best price.

This documentary makes an appeal for the hearts of its viewers but lacks in mental substance. Why should our government step in to prevent outsourcing? This sort of action would be borderline communist, in my opinion, there is no alternative to outsourcing other than workers here being the best at their jobs so that the work can't be outsourced

• One of the stupidest shows ever. There is so much high-end research and consulting work that gets outsourced to India. The best they could do was visit a call centre of all places and make it look like indians are only capable of working at call centres.

1.1
    These guys must do their research before they produce shows like this. The american guy stays with one Indian family that works at a call centre and its only their views and perspectives that get reflected in the show. And then he ends up generalising that to the whole of India.
  • Totally misplaced and highly opinionated

This is one of the worst depictions of outsourcing to India. The person who lost the job is a \"Programmer\" and he goes to India to compare the lifestyle of a worker in a Call Center. Isn\'t it a no-brainer to arrive at a conclusion after you compare apples to apples? If the episode was to compare the job of a programmer or the qualifications of a programmer in India to whom he has lost his job as a reason of outsourcing,it would have been a worthwhile effort. And based on such a ridiculous comparison, he also continues to make conclusions. No wonder he lost his job.