30 Days

Planet Green (ended 2008)

30 Days Fan Reviews (60)

• Yay, more unbalanced B.S. from Spurlock, just what we needed. Hey, at least it's entertaining.

0.1
    Originally I gave this show the worst review I could muster, but after a couple vieweings it has really won me over. It is every bit as unbalanced and even outrageously biased in parts as I expected, but on the plus size it is at least entertaining. Sadly, Spurlock still has a number of axes to grind and doesn't care whether or not he presents his case in any sort of a fair and balanced way. Just as with "Supersize Me" he completely ignores any dissenting information, and blows any supporting evidence way out of proportion, which is a real shame since his original concepts are truly excellent. I'm still undecided whether or not he is intentionally abusing his credit as a documentarian, but I am leaning this way as there are no disclaimers to the opposite at the start of the show. Nevertheless, I am eagerly anticipating any future shows, but remain hopeful that he will transform from a propagandist into a true journalist of sorts, becuase his ideas are inspired.
  • A show where a dude does something for 30 days and see how it changes his life.

0.1
    This show wasn't reality it was pretty fake. Because I mean they were holding bottled water twice in the show which cost $1 if not more and she said she had to walk to save $1.25 instead of taking the bus. I hate this show. It was boring and pointless.
  • Am I the only one who finds this possibly inaccurate and not fair?

I will go ahead and admit that I have not seen every episode of this series, but from what I have seen, the show is inaccurate. Every episode I have seen ends up with the person\'s mind being changed. When you have a single sole person surrounded by a family who is die hard against them for thirty days and put them on network tv, they are bound to cave into the pressure. They don\'t want to be viewed as horrible, stuck up, close minded people. It\'s not fair, nor is the Movie, Supersize Me, practical.
  • About the straight man that went to San Francisco to be around gay men.

6.1
    When I came across this episode, I thought great finally a show that will tell the real thing the Bible says about homosexuallity. But once again it was more one sided that not. Granted I do not expect the show\'s people to do the homosexual\'s research. Especially when there is a pastor from the \"gay\" church that should be able to defend the gay side. But the show DID go out of it way to look up the words or passages in the Bible the \"condemned\" homosexuallity and put them out there for the nation to see. People that are not necessarily religious or read the Bible, still can confirm that it is a sin. Since the pastor did not ever contradict the Bible or show that people\'s interpretations of the passages are wrong, homosexuallity still came out looking as a sin. There are many \"gay\" pastors that can contradict the interpretation of the Bible\'s passages and if the show\'s people had shown some of those belief it would have been great. But I feel like the pastor at the MCC Church let all gay people down.
  • Episodes range from "eye-opening" to "predictable". Either way, 30 days is essential viewing.

6.8

I really liked Morgan's film "Super Size Me" and as soon as I heard that he was doing a series I couldn't wait.

I think it's a shame that Morgan didn't personally do all the challenges set by the program but I suppose logistically each episode must take at least 30 days to make (plus editing and post production etc) so it just wouldn't be possible for him to be heavily involved in every story-line.

Because of the different "presenters" used in each episode I found that it became less of a coherent series and more like a collection of individual documentaries. I also found that my enjoyment of the program depended very much on who was involved in each individual task.

For example, Morgan and his girlfriend were excellent on the "Minimum wage" episode as they are obviously used to delivering pieces to camera. Whereas the "Off the Grid" episode was spoiled due to the fact the presenters weren't really interested in doing the task set them and seemed to spend the time making a joke of the whole eco-friendly movement.

My favourite episode was probably "Muslims and America". The presenter learned a lot about the Muslim population of America and even did some of his own research when he found that the liason supplied by 30 Days wasn't much help. Not only did he learn but I learned a hell of a lot too.

Other episodes included "Binge Drinking Mom". I thought that the Mom in the program did a very good job in trying to show her teenage daughter the possible long term effects of binge drinking and tried to do so in a calm and rational manner. The daughter however deserved a serious kick up the backside; she just didn't want to listen and I couldn't help but wish her a fatal liver failure in later life.

The series deserved more than 6 episodes for it's initial run but as I mentioned earlier maybe this was due to the logistics of making this sort of program. With an almost inexhaustable supply of topics waiting for them, I can't wait for season 2.
  • I found it very infotmative and yet entertaining to watch these people who are hypocrits, see how the other side lives and are treated. It teaches us all alittle something about how we see and judge people before really knowing them.

I enjoyed watching the show on muslim and america because I learned alot about their culture. Do I get nevous around muslims, yes but the show taught me that not all muslims are terrorist. I learned alot about their religion and I found it a bit weird but I am not a person that goes to church often, but I do believe in God.
    I do have an idea for the show. Maybe we can put a high class, rich man/women, into the life style of a lower class family, and a low class job. I think it would be interesing to see the way the rich and powerful would act in a low class house, job, and income. Maybe more people will see that you dont have to be rich and have everything to be happy. Just an idea though.
  • Some good ideas, not always implemented well

Let me start off by admitting that I thoroughly enjoyed Spurlock's Super-size Me. But the jury is still out on 30 Days.

After completing the first season, it feels like we are beating a dead horse with this "30 days" thing. Some good content, but might be better presented under a different premise.

The first season was short lived at only 6 episodes, but I guess this is pretty standard in the TV world. About half of the six shows that aired were good enough to get me to sit through the other half, which were somewhere between boring and abysmal. The season finale was absolutely horrible. Disjointed and pointless.

Hopefully they get it together and make Season 2 a lot better. The potential is there.
  • Like a mini Super Size Me every week

7.6
    This is informative and entertaining, but not really reality. For instance, living off of minimum wage for only 30 days is real tough, but knowing you are going to be back to your rich lives soon takes a lot of the pressure off. They would have been so far in debt the next month it would have been even harder. However, you realize that there are so many people out there that are living pay check to pay check and how do they do it. Makes you realize that throwing 50 cents in a tip jar really is not a big deal to you, but really helps someone else. I have been in that position during my early twentys and know how hard it was to have to figure out where every penny was going to go. It brought back memories.
  • A worlds througth somebody elese eyes

I love this show because it shows one self to the side of the argument that rarely has a vioce. It lets one self look througth somebody elese eyes. The point just trying to say that you might have a different oppinion if you see the world with somebody eles eyes instead of oneself. Sometimes people change there side of the argument sometimes they don't but everybody have a new idea of the agument. The show gets a one sided person in a contrversel argument and let them live with another person on the oppisite side of the argument and live with them on their territory. Most of the episodes are great and informitive. And its a new topic everytime. This show is also funny at times and enterataining. It is also very down to earth. Over all I got to say this show is awesome. And worth a try.
  • What could you learn in 30 days if you were thrown into a different atmosphere? Plenty.

Morgan Spurlock is a genius. First, he gets people watching him splurge at McDonalds. Now, he lets others into the act. One straight guy lives in a gay community for 30 days. One West Virginian guy spends 30 days in a Muslim community. The show would have you believe that spending 30 days wearing another's moccasins is a life changing experience. Each show is evidence of this. However, in most cases, the family of the show's 'participant' suffers. How is this healthy learning?

The show has promise but needs a few tweaks.
  • The Muslim episode was very informative but left me saddened by another media bashing of Howell, Michigan

Howell unfortunately has a bad reputation because in the 70s and 80s a Klan leader took up residence in a near village. Ever since then the community has tried to shake the image, but the media keeps forcing it upon them. In this episode Howell was shown, but all of the people interviewed were in Brighton, Michigan, both downtown and around the Mill Pond. Thanks for another misrepresentation Morgan.
  • \\\"Minimum vage\\\"

I just thought that my life is too difficult. But maybe not.
    In finland we have free high quality healthcare for all our citizens. Minimum vage is about 8,50€ /h. I make about 15€ /h and pay taxes from 18% to 23%. I have no education higher than
    gradeschool. Food is quite expensive here in Helsinki but i don´t have to worry about eating in daytime because my employer pays daily foodbenefits up to 7€ /day. So maybe I spend too much money to not important things/ services witch I really don´t need. I should try to live 30 days without spending. And so shuold many others.
  • A reality show that tries to help people become more tolerant instead of just watching people looking like jerks, what a concept.

I just watched this show for the first time. I noticed on other reviews that people had reviews for other episodes but here where I am the series just started and the first one was on tonight.

I am intrigued and just set a season pass on my tivo. I thought that it was an interesting concept. It was reality TV in a way that it has not been used before, to inform rather then compete. I thought the topic was interesting without being used just for the controversal value. I will say that I do sit pretty far to one side of the topic, but I will not go into that here. The reason that I mention that is because I thought they did a good job of showing both sides, I liked the way they showed that people can be Christians but for most they have a belief that goes behind it, not because they are simply idiots. I also thought they did a good job of showing that people who are not straight are people like everyone else. I think that they showed the radical side of both of those views also and I think it is important to recognize that there are extreme people on both sides of the issue, and we can't pretend there aren't. I llked that they showed that these extremists don't necissarily represent everyone no matter what side of this issue they may fall.

All in all I was impressed and think they did a good job of this show and topic in a new and interesting way, I am excited to see what is next up.
  • Great show, just kill the preaching.

I really like this show. It is edited well and the host is a great and compelling narrator. However, the show doesn't even try to have a neutral POV. I find it is way to preachy (especially the first episode) and would be alot more watchable if, well, they just let us watch it! The show's content is powerful enough on its own...there's no need to tell me how to feel about what I'm watching. Still, because the show is relatively unique, has tight FX-brand editing, and is pretty damn interesting, I give it an 8.5.
  • Morgan Sperlock is an ok guy.

After I saw bits and pieces of Super-size Me, I heard of this show.
    I decided to watch it.
    At first it started out as people with different points of view try out places or ideas to make them think more.
    But then slowy it seemed as though the show staryed away from and became preachy.
    He needs to stray away from those aspects and teh show could be great.
    How about a religious person goes to live with a Wiccan family or an Athiest?
    Don't get me wrong, I like the show, it just needs to be tweeked a bit.
  • Great Documentary Series!!

This was a great documentary series, the first episode drew me in because of it being featured in my home town of Columbus, Ohio. It featured Morgan Spurlock live various different lives of people for 30 Days, it was very entertaining and it is a shame it was canceled because no other documentary series is quite like it. Today when have world of jenks, which is similar though he only spends a week in someone else s situation and hes not that compelling. Check Super Size Me or The Simpson's 20th Anniversary special for other great documentary from Morgan Spurlock.
  • Not only informative, but also thought-provoking, 30 Days shows you what it's like to be in someone else's shoes for a month.

Thanks to my new best friend, Tivo, I got the opportunity to see 30 days. There were two shows queued up for me to watch and currently, I've only watched the first episode, Minimum Wage.

I hadn't intended on writing a review... I actually was looking for an address to which to send comments, but since I'm here, I might as well share my comments.

I'm actually a moderate conservative if I had to place myself on the political scale, but am a liberal on many issues. I think we'd be better off if there were no political parties so candidates for office could be conservative on some issues and liberal on others. I think I (and many others) would have an easier time backing a candidate this way.

Anyway, I mentioned my political leanings because I saw a previous reviewer mention "biased." I'm sure later in the review the author probably used words like "propoganda."

Prior to watching this show, I had felt that people who attempt to live on minimum wage simply lack ambition or have put themselves in that position due to laziness. After watching the show, my feelings have tempered considerably. I don't feel the solution is raising minimum or increases in government handouts. Neither are a long-term solution. I think that the key is education... not the "school" type of education, but rather informing people *how* to move forward and upward out of the minimum wage situation.

There were several points I wanted to address regarding specifics in the show. I tried to find out, on the web, what are requirements for being eligible for Medicaid because I thought that may have helped them with their hospital charges. Alas, I could not find the Ohio maximum income limits and even called a hotline, where they referred me to a local office which was closed on the weekends. I did find a page on the Ohio gov website that showed the maximum income to be eligible for Disability Medical Assistance and if that's any indication of what the Medicaid eligibility limis are, then I think that things are pretty messed up. An individual needs to make less than $115 per month and a family of two needs to make less than $159 per month to be eligible. Yikes!

Morgan and Alexandra had difficulty making ends meet and I estimate they were bringing home roughly between $70 and $130 per day, between the two of them, depending on whether Morgan was working one or two jobs.

Another issue that this particular episode brought up was the cost of emergency medical care. The point I'd like to make here is that Morgan and Alexandra had every intent of paying their hospital bill. You know the reason that the Ace bandage was $40 and not $8 and why it cost $300 for Alexandra just to step in the door and not $30, was because so many people come to the hospital without any intent to pay. Many people are eligible for Medicaid, but don't register for it. They come in, get thousands of dollars in care, and then leave, expecting someone else to pay the bill. Well, that "someone else" are the people fool enough (read: responsible enough) to pay their bills and the people who have insurance. If everyone was as responsible as Morgan and Alexandra, the Ace bandage would have been $8.

My last comment is that I think part of the problem is that these days, minmum wage is not meant to be a living wage. Even with Senator Kennedy's proposed 43% increase, I don't think that it would have been easy for Morgan and Alexandra to live on minimum wage. I feel that the way things are expected to work (and often do) is that teens make minimum wage while they are still living with their parents, but by the time they are in their 20's and are moving out, they should have gained experience and responsibility and would have moved up to a better-paying job.

My parents came here in the late 1940's from eastern europe, while in their early teens. None of them spoke any English. My grandparents took jobs as janitors and in a clothing factory, put all their kids through college, and retired comfortably. One grandfather, who was a judge in Lithuania, worked as a janitor by night and went back to school for an accounting degree. (The legal system is different here and his law degree would not "transfer" to our legal system, so he started a new career.)

None of my grandparents were ever rich, I only know of them taking one vacation ever, but they saved up enough money to give their kids and grandkids a better life in the "middle-class" and live in paid-off houses until they passed away, all in their 90's.

Given the present economy and the shortage of jobs, things appear to be considerably worse than they were in the late 1940's for someone trying to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but this is the land of opportunity and I feel that while it might be far more difficult than it was for my grandparents, Morgan and Alexandra could probably provide a better opportunity for their kids and whether it's college or trade school or even the kids working their way up from frycook to district manager, I think that it's possible.

Oh... I'm supposed to review the show... right. I really liked it and look forward to many more episodes. I think Morgan Spurlock is very talented and wish him the best in this show and in whatever other shows he dreams up.
  • No Phone, No Lights, No Motor Car? Not a Single Luxury? Well, not exactly.

When I first started watching this episode I got all knotted up inside, imagining the hippie communes of old (my day) where giving up modern conveniences just meant skipping nighttime t.v. that only had 3 channels anyway. Radios ran on batteries and we liked lighting candles instead of turning on glaring lamps anyway. That's all we needed. Hippies were notorious for being "all natural" and bathing infrequently, although many of us eschewed that part of the lifestyle and bought our Nehru jackets at upscale boutiques along with the 'love beads' and what looked like homemade pendants (not usually).
    So, now hippies are called rabbits and there's a lot more to give up what with cell phones, too much t.v. to choose from, SUV's and sometimes twice daily showering. Oh hey, let's not even mention the clothing lines! Still, there's a lot of good things to be said for people who tough out this effort in futile attempts to save the planet. The planet, by the way, isn't going to be saved, cannot be saved and isn't supposed to be saved. With more than 3 worldwide extinctions since the birth of life on this rock, the human race is destined to go as well and eventually, this planet, just like every other planet, will end up going too. That's life. That's death. That's the way it is.
    Anyhooo - the vegan diet is admirable since part of our evolution includes the lengthening of our digestive system to accomodaate more vegetation, less meat; and our teeth have worn down to resemble more of a cow (vegan) than a cat (carnivore). This lifestyle is addressed with respect rather than typical disdain and it's not laughed about, but discussed intelligently. Even by those who "can't help it and still like (their) steak". I support it wholeheartedly while still liking poultry and not giving up ice cream any time soon.
    The female of the couple experiencing this 30 days (in one-time episodes, names are regrettably 'forgetable' and too many readers are wondering who I'm talking about) starts out whining and complaining and using her "products" (thank Queer Eye for the Straight Guy) which are offensive to the rabbit residents. This I understand because I find MOST women over-do it with the "product" (perfume, body spray, hair stuff, whatever) and stink-stink-stink. As it's gently explained that people have allergies to excessive scents, this visitor initially argues about the rabbit communities body odor. When the response is that (they'll) begin to use deodorant if it's truly bothering her that much, the visitor realizes that this is not a personal affront and she agrees to stop. Why can't we ALL learn from this? Just because someone says something to us (about anything really) doesn't mean they are attacking what makes us - US! We can still be good, generous, caring, loving, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters making a difference with our short visit to this planet by doing good - without "product" (or whatever superficial thing might annoy someone else).
    The rabbit community runs cars on vegetable oil (I've actually seen a couple of these cars up close) and they - during this show - added passive solar energy. Hearing that the "cheaper" versions are about $20,000 didn't inspire me to pursue this however and to be honest, all that work for a veggie run car? Ummm, no. So, I'm "spoiled". I just remind myself, as I said before, it's not going to make that much of a difference. I mean, until auto manufacturers start making cars this way, a handful of people doing this is more of a statement than a drop of water (of difference) in the ocean. Maybe I'm cynical (oh, if you knew me, you'd know better), a realist (ok, I lean in that direction) or a scientist (researcher actually).
    Big guy of the visiting couple ends up bellyaching most of all with his cries for "meat". He LOOKS like meat. He's not even giving this a chance and here, at the beginning, we all figured it would be HIM who sailed through it. He takes a pellet gun out to shoot rabbits (the furry kind, not the commune kind). Thankfully no one shows this (he does it more than once) because in my youthful experience with pellet guns and faster than fast rabbits, he's not likely killing it with one shot. He's injuring it at best and I don't want to know what he does to make it finally die.
    He visits an organic "natural" slaughterhouse to pick up beef steaks and it doesn't set right to hear the cattleman talking about how idylic the cows lives are, how well they eat and romp and frolic (ok, he didn't say those words) just before they're (shot in the head? Hit in the head? Throat slashed?) and we all know the rest (we buy them prepackaged in our grocery stores).
    This guy then brings his barbecued meat into the communal dinner table and shows off his buffoonish, rude and inconsiderate demeanor like a badge of ignorance. He wore it well. He was a visitor, welcomed into someone else's home, where was the respect his momma (should have) taught him? He clod-hops like an overweight ass in an undersized room throughout the show and at the end, when we find out who has learned what, we find he's perhaps more jug-headed than when he started.
    Girl of the couple, on the other hand, seems to have grown considerably (and probably has little to do with meat-man these days?).
    The commune showed itself to be flexible, not so much against modern conveniences as opposed to abusing resources and trying to make that statement about alternate options that should be explored (Who wouldn't agree with that? Extending the life of our species and this planet even by a 1,000 years is worthwhile). I expected to feel they were unreasonable and intolerant. It's nice to have a show surprise me - which this one regularly does.
    One question: If these people don't have t.v., HOW do they know about this show and how do they get selected to participate? If that's explained, it's not explained enough. If it's been addressed, it needs to be put out there more. Like a tag at the beginning and at the end.
    After all, it's not like I'll miss it if it's coming in on my phone, with my lights on, broadcast on t.v. or up on billboards as I drive my motor car to the luxury of my weekly spa...
  • This show not only blasts the walls on many of our own national issues, but will possibly change the lives of many who simply don't know.

I found it very interesting how much I could relate and understand growing up as what I thought not so well off, but realized quickly how well off I was, and my wife as well didnt know life could get what she called "That Bad". A series like this is greatly needed and not only will it educate the general public but also make a change on alot of things that go on in our own nation. Its about time we start focusing on our own issues rather than some other countries problems. I found it most intriguing when the Temp worker said, " I made more a Quater of a century ago than I do now". So much for National perseverance huh. Its a shame someone who is limited in what they can do by means of than him/herself is almost punished for being Low class, rather than the society we live in helping this person, we make it harder.
    Summary = We smush the small man between our finger and thumb, but the rich who need nothing get nothing but gifts, and admiration. I admire the man who lives pay check to pay check just trying to keep his family alive.
  • A decent show.

30 days,
    the person who created the hit movie Super size me comes to televtion. This time around other people got into the obsticles. The person has to be in the location doing what ever they do of 30 days. Excaly. It was a great show to watch. Very sad though that they canned it.
  • Makes you laugh and makes you think.

I stumbled across this new show from "Super Size Me" director (and fellow West Virginia native) Morgan Spurlock last night. It takes the premise of "Super Size Me" and applies it to other activities.

In this premiere episode, Morgan and his fiance move to Columbus, Ohio for 30 days to see what it is like to live on minimum wage. Morgan takes on a landscaping job while his fiance, Alex, washes dishes at a coffee shop.

Like "Super Size Me," the show succeeds because of the sincerity, humor and charm with which Spurlock approaches the material. He really wants to show how difficult it is to make ends meet for low income families. It's really more a statement of a social activist than a reality show (and that's definitely a good thing).

This first episode was great. I can't wait until next week.
  • Great show

Well when i first seen this show well i would not really calling it the show it was really the thing that started the series witch was the all knowing movie super size me when i first seen that movie i thought that guy was crazy but when i heard that they were making a series it took a little time to register in my mind and then i realized it was the guy that made the super size me movie and then after seeing the first episode i knew i was hooked so i think that this is a great show
  • Be open-minded and educate yourself with this show.

We've all got opinions, just that some of us get a show to display their opinions on. Morgan Spurlock ("Super Size Me") brings his unique style to FX on how certain beliefs would stand up when pitted against certain issues. Will subjects views change for the better?
    Sometimes, we argues about issues and don't realize how they really are even when there are people who live through/with or put themselves through these kinds of things, etc (my sad catch-all subjects sentence). So how would someone completely opposite of this kind of world react being thrown into it.
    Like I said earlier, everyone's got their own opinion. You have to go in with an open mind. You don't have to agree, but it sure is nice to know.
  • 30 Days, brought to us by Super Size Me creator Morgan Spurlock, is televised gold.

I love social experiments on television. 30 Days, brought to us by Super Size Me creator Morgan Spurlock, is televised gold. It documents the events that occur when one is put on outskirts of believed norm for a period of 30 days. What happens when a homophobe is dropped into the culture that he marginalized and disrespected? What happens when a rich couple is forced to live on minimum wage and survive the underbelly of American culture? These are ideas that are admirable and deserve contemplation. And to me, that is interesting.

30 Days isn’t the only televised social experiment. Shows like The Amazing Race, Beauty and the Geek, The 1900 House, and Survivor are also worthy of note.
  • This show focuses on putting a prejudice person in the shoes of the person they were prejudice about.

This show focuses on when a person is prejudice about another person (or group of people) for them to put themselves in the shoes of the person they were prejudice about. In 30 life changing days, that particular person will open themselves to these people, and begin to see that these people aren't that bad. In fact, sometimes, the person likes this group, and wishes to stay among them. But, if not, at least they get to see the errors of their ways and that they should not be predjudice about these people. In my opinion, this is the best reality show on television! I also think that this show should be kept on the air, so many people can see the error of their ways.
  • one of the best shows this summer

qualiry show, absolutly love it., cant wait for the next episode. this just shoes the extremes of peoples lives from morgan hmself to go n to minimum wage shows his great attitde to his work and his desire to make things known. how many other rich celebs (rich because of the success of supersize me , another goood show) would go onto minimum wage, not many and id love to see some of them do it. i really would
  • Hella Kewl

Well not only does this show make me laugh, but it gets me intrigued on the issues of America. The only thing is that next and maybe weeks to come shows people besides Morgan Spurlock doing a 30 days "thing". My favorite part of the episode is when he is looking up "fun" free things to do.
  • Great idea for a show.

Love this show. Wish it didn't end. Very intresting.
  • A very good and interesting show.

This is a show more people should watch. With it's 90% straight forward nature, it's very interesting to see what these people go through in order to try to prove their superior nature. This show is under appreciated for it's honesty and the power it expresses as a dialogue. I wish more people would wathc this so they would at least be better informed. While it is a little liberal, it's general nature is to not censor the other opinion and I find that that's important.

I would recommend this to anyone and everyone I know; especially those who've expressed any sort of preconceived notions.
  • The one true reality show on TV these days...

When I first heard of 30 days, I thought it was just FX trying to jump on the bandwagon of 'reality shows'. But after I watched the first 2 episodes, I found that this show had really captured the true spirit of 'reality'. It digs out the problems of the society and puts it out flat and square in front of the audiences. Some episodes were more of an entertaining issue of what happens if A + B that had never been done before, but it never deviated from what the show wants: to inform us, let us think instead of them judging. Instead of just feeding us with info and more info like documentaries, Morgan experiments it with real people, and of course with this, adds some entertaining stuff on top of it.

If you have not watch 30 days, start now.
< 1 2