30 Days

Planet Green (ended 2008)

30 Days Fan Reviews (60)

• Like a mini Super Size Me every week

7.6
    This is informative and entertaining, but not really reality. For instance, living off of minimum wage for only 30 days is real tough, but knowing you are going to be back to your rich lives soon takes a lot of the pressure off. They would have been so far in debt the next month it would have been even harder. However, you realize that there are so many people out there that are living pay check to pay check and how do they do it. Makes you realize that throwing 50 cents in a tip jar really is not a big deal to you, but really helps someone else. I have been in that position during my early twentys and know how hard it was to have to figure out where every penny was going to go. It brought back memories.
  • This show not only blasts the walls on many of our own national issues, but will possibly change the lives of many who simply don't know.

I found it very interesting how much I could relate and understand growing up as what I thought not so well off, but realized quickly how well off I was, and my wife as well didnt know life could get what she called "That Bad". A series like this is greatly needed and not only will it educate the general public but also make a change on alot of things that go on in our own nation. Its about time we start focusing on our own issues rather than some other countries problems. I found it most intriguing when the Temp worker said, " I made more a Quater of a century ago than I do now". So much for National perseverance huh. Its a shame someone who is limited in what they can do by means of than him/herself is almost punished for being Low class, rather than the society we live in helping this person, we make it harder.
    Summary = We smush the small man between our finger and thumb, but the rich who need nothing get nothing but gifts, and admiration. I admire the man who lives pay check to pay check just trying to keep his family alive.
  • This really makes you think

This is one of the few shows on T.V that really makes you think. It's a great show because it's not a News report/story these people are actually living about what there talking about. They live a different life for 30 days and you see the effect of what people really go through who live those live's.
  • A very good and interesting show.

This is a show more people should watch. With it's 90% straight forward nature, it's very interesting to see what these people go through in order to try to prove their superior nature. This show is under appreciated for it's honesty and the power it expresses as a dialogue. I wish more people would wathc this so they would at least be better informed. While it is a little liberal, it's general nature is to not censor the other opinion and I find that that's important.

I would recommend this to anyone and everyone I know; especially those who've expressed any sort of preconceived notions.
  • \\\"Minimum vage\\\"

I just thought that my life is too difficult. But maybe not.
    In finland we have free high quality healthcare for all our citizens. Minimum vage is about 8,50€ /h. I make about 15€ /h and pay taxes from 18% to 23%. I have no education higher than
    gradeschool. Food is quite expensive here in Helsinki but i don´t have to worry about eating in daytime because my employer pays daily foodbenefits up to 7€ /day. So maybe I spend too much money to not important things/ services witch I really don´t need. I should try to live 30 days without spending. And so shuold many others.
  • Best Show in its category!

Even before watching I knew I would love it because of Morgan Spurlock! Taking the idea behind Supersize Me and make it a TV Show was genius. Having a person immerse themselves in a particular lifestyle that is the opposite or different then their own is eye opening and very informative! I just wish this show was on prime time and everyone had access to it. The integration of enlightenment and entertainment is perfect. The only downside is if the person immersed in the new lifestyle refuses to learn, but even then you experience strong emotions and learn from it like every single episode! THIS is what reality tv should be all about! I hope more episodes come soon!!
  • A hour worth of eye opening material.

This show takes controversial subjects (most of the time anyhow) (IE: Gun control avocate vs Gun entushiast, pro choice vs non pro choice, etc). Some shows puts a person in a bad situation (IE: 30 days of minimum wage, 30 days of being "paralized", 30 days of living on an Indian Reservation, etc...). This show is directed and produced by the same individual (Morgan Spurlock) who directed/stared in Super Size Me (2004). This is one of those very rare shows that takes a controversial subject and makes it approachable with others. 30 Days will get you talking about you side of the issue with another person and will help you keep an open mind. In some cases with this show I have watched it, been FIRMLY on one side of the issue before the show started, and ended up questioning my side of the arguement at the end of the show after seeing the other side. This show absolutely has the power to do that each and every time it shows. I look foward to it each week. I don't use my TIVO to record shows very often (I have maybe 5 or 6 set to record weekly), but this is one of them. It is an absolute must!
  • An excellent show that is long overdue to return!

Morgan Spurlock is one of the best directors/documentarians I have ever seen. I think that this show is one of the most original ideas, ever. This is what I feel "reality TV" should be. Taking issues that everyone can relate to, and then show the world what happens. I watched the first episode thinking "What is Morgan thinking?" But as the show went on, I found myself drawn in. The show got better and better. When the episode about Muslim beliefs came on, I was totally riveted. I can not wait to see what the second season brings. Morgan can only get better!
  • Bye bye stereotypes, finally a show that attempts to portray reality.

Well presented show that looks at many different lifestyles and the facts about the way these lifestyles are lived. Helps remove myths about certain lifestyles and the stereotypes that people choose to believe.

Morgan produced and starred in the hugely successful "Supersize Me" that looked at how fast food has "shaped" our lives and the impacts it has had on our health. The show places an individual in an environment where they have prejudged predjudices and will need to experience the lifestyle that often goes against their beliefs.

We see the individual ask questions that many would like answered and helps viewers to learn more about what is truth and what is fiction.

Excellent show for those that live a sheltered life and don't get exposed to other cultures. In this show questions are asked and answered, ultimately leaving the viewer to decide how they feel about the "topic" with their newly found knowledge.
  • This is the story of a man who spends 30 and episode that will change your life...

The best show on tv, if you dont like it, then you are a soules bastard, this is one of the most inspiring show of our time. It shows everyone as equales, and is done amazingly. It is worth the 60 minutes. The movie super size me dose not compair to this show. Morgan's calm comaday is a real joy to watch...
  • Iloved this show, everyday my husband struggles to provide for his family on minimum age and daycare is expensive, "his was my life"plus 2 kids, it hurts to live like this and we struggle everyday, thank you for this "reality" show, kathi from michigan

My name is Kathi I live in Michigan, I loved this show, I live that life everyday with 2 children , My husband makes 9 dollars an hour and I stay home with the children because we cant afford daycare. We have to save to be able to afford diapers for our kids, People in this world judge the way you look or the clothes you wear or the kind of car you drive but don’t realize that some people make in a month what others make in a few days and with kids to provide for, I thank you so much for this show, it made me cry for someone to have a heart to do a show like this, thank you kathi
  • This show makes you think and brings up important scenarios that happen every day.

This show is an amazing show that makes you see a different point of view on everything. Whether its about being gay or drinking alocohol to the max, it makes you realize the hell people have to go through every day. Some may think this show is pointless and dumb but i think its really great. I can't wait to see what else these people will think of. I'd like one about a man being a woman, where they have to dress up like one and do all the things we have to do and go through the perils of men. That would be a great episode.
  • Great idea for a show.

Love this show. Wish it didn't end. Very intresting.
  • Makes you laugh and makes you think.

I stumbled across this new show from "Super Size Me" director (and fellow West Virginia native) Morgan Spurlock last night. It takes the premise of "Super Size Me" and applies it to other activities.

In this premiere episode, Morgan and his fiance move to Columbus, Ohio for 30 days to see what it is like to live on minimum wage. Morgan takes on a landscaping job while his fiance, Alex, washes dishes at a coffee shop.

Like "Super Size Me," the show succeeds because of the sincerity, humor and charm with which Spurlock approaches the material. He really wants to show how difficult it is to make ends meet for low income families. It's really more a statement of a social activist than a reality show (and that's definitely a good thing).

This first episode was great. I can't wait until next week.
  • Great Documentary Series!!

This was a great documentary series, the first episode drew me in because of it being featured in my home town of Columbus, Ohio. It featured Morgan Spurlock live various different lives of people for 30 Days, it was very entertaining and it is a shame it was canceled because no other documentary series is quite like it. Today when have world of jenks, which is similar though he only spends a week in someone else s situation and hes not that compelling. Check Super Size Me or The Simpson's 20th Anniversary special for other great documentary from Morgan Spurlock.
  • Only 30 days, but a lifelong lesson

This show is fantastic. Sometimes you side with the guest family and sometimes you side with the visitor. I love the goal of opening up the eyes of both sides. Such a fantastic concept and I wish the show came back. I would love to see this show where someone with some skill and knowledge in the area visits the same types of families that have currently been visited. I get so frustrated because one side hears the common argument, but doesn't know how to properly answer.

Great idea!
  • ***** All the shows done for "30 Days" are excellent.

This is reality TV in its true form. 30 Days is done very well, showing respect to its subjects. How would you like to see what it is like to walk in another's shoes without having to actually do so? To see how hard someone has to work to give society something that we take for granted? To see how the actions and beliefs of others can affect society for good and for bad? This show gives you that and more. This show should be mandatory viewing for everyone, and it should definitely be shown in the high schools. This show makes people think, understand, and, finally, to empathize. In this day and age, couldn't we use these traits? I cannot wait for more episodes. Thank you, Morgan Spurlock, for attempting to open up society's eyes. I've learned a lot and am a better person for watching.
  • Not only entertaining, but informative as well.

I watched "Super-size Me" and thought it was a great movie and when I heard he was going to do a tv show last year, I knew it was going to be good.

At first I was a little disappointed that Morgan Spurlock wouldn't be the focal point of the episodes, but I soon realized that the show was still great!!

Some of my favorite episodes are the ones where the person learns a valuable lesson. Every episode I watch, I learn something new, but in a fun way. Spurlock has the ability to teach you something without it looking like he's teaching you anything. I think some episodes would be a great teaching tool for kids if they were cleaned up a little bit.
  • Finally a reality TV show worth watching.

This is what reality TV should be about. Unfortunately there is just so much junk around.

In this show people live for 30 days in a lifestyle very different to their own. Such as being a muslim, or being on a binge. There is usually a shock to the culture initially, but eventually the adapt.

Morgan Spurlock's doco Super size me had him eating nothing but Mcdonalds and the effect that had on him really has to be seen to believed. This is like a follow on from that except it's spread much further that fast food.
  • 30 Days- originally reviewed June 15, 2005 after the season premier.

30 Days is an FX Original Series that airs on Wednesday nights, 10 pm EST.

Everyone should watch this show.

Funny- today I was trying to figure out bills, expenses, etc. I was stressing out because there never seems to be enough money to go around. My rent takes up 90% of my first (of 2) paycheck every month. My car payment plus insurance is over $400 a month. That doesn't include gas, which is through the roof.

So I come home tonight and turn on the season premier of 30 Days. What an awakening.

Morgan Spurloch, the mastermind behind Supersize Me, spends 30 days living on minimum wage.

(Oh, and they saved the best for last.)

Morgan and his fiancee Alex, a vegan chef, moved to Columbus, Ohio for 30 days to both work minimum wage jobs. Within the week, they both needed to go to the hospital- Alex for a UTI and Morgan for a sprained wrist. They live in this ant-infested little 1 bedroom apartment in a complex that as little as a week ago was home to a crackhouse. The rent? Less than $400 a month. There was no furniture, so there was an especially touching scene where the couple go to a church and receive furniture donations.

They bought 1 bus pass to go between the both of them. Alex gets a job at a barista washing dishes and bussing tables, and Morgan goes to a temp agency. They offer him odd jobs at no less than $7 an hour- $1.85 ABOVE minimum wage. Morgan's first job was a construction site, and then he moves on to landscaping which pays a little more. This is where he sprains his wrist.

Morgan gets a paycheck every day- to the tune of about $46. Alex's weekly check? Under $200. Then Morgan makes a discovery- the guy who gives him a ride to and from the job sites makes the same amount that Morgan is making, yet he is a 22 year old with 4 kids. Morgan and Alex decide to invite his brother's 2 teenage kids up to visit for the weekend and the funniest part of the show happens- Morgan goes to the public library to see what kind of free thngs there are to do and finds

which suggests he take the kids to an "Animal shelter: Kind of a sad visit if you don’t plan to adopt an animal but you may consider volunteering to walk a dog. Sometimes, the facility will allow you to tour its clinic and explain the shots and other treatments. It’s good for kids to learn about pet care." or "Bank: Call up your local bank and ask for a tour. Winter Advisory: If you wear a ski-mask, take it off before entering the bank." Truly some "original" ideas. Morgan's take on the latter: "Oh, yes! Come in and see the money you DON'T have!!" They end up taking the kids to the $1 movie, but Morgan spends $12 on drinks, which throws Alex into a tizzy.

At the end of the show, just when you realize that they are barely going to make it with a few pennies left over, the hospital bills come. $1300.00!! Morgan has to pay $550 just for walking in the ER door; Alex, $300. Alex's prescription was $25, and Morgan paid $40 for an Ace bandage. No health insurance is the demise of the couple's unsucessful run on a 30 day minimum wage scale.

Now this is AFTER Morgan is working 2 full time jobs (for the latter half of the month- but it's at a pizza place, so they can have pizza instead of rice and beans) and Alex works one. That's 3 minimum wage salaries for 2 people. If not for the hospital bills, they would have just barely made it.

And here I sit wondering about how I'm going to afford a vacation to NY for my friend's wedding. It's amazing how lucky I really am. Granted, I live alone with no 2nd paycheck to help, my rent is crazy expensive, and my car is still new, but I don't want to live in the slums and it's the car I wanted, so that's the price I have to pay. (Even though that "price" doesn't include cable, power, water, food, gas, phone, etc. I'm not rich by any means, but this program showed me that I should appreciate what I do have.)

The show was sad and funny and intelligent and poingnant all at the same time. It was a fantastic program, and I plan to tune in every Wednesday night.
  • Well Morgan Spurlock is at it again, but this time it's not himself being put through life altering changes, it's other people. There has only been like 7 episodes, but FX will be back for a new season. So hope to see more people submitting to new lifesty

I give this show a 10 not for the people undergoing these experiments, I put it for Morgan Spurlocks sheer genius. What could be more interesting to watch then people who live in a metaphorical mouse cage for a month and volunteerily forced to try to change thier closed minded ways
  • 30 Days, get in a whole new life for 30 days

This show is highly informative and teaches you that u don't have such a bad life , i've seen funny stuff but olso very sick stuff... It olso teaches you values witch you should cherish. Made by the creator of the movie Super Size Me

They should show this in school :P
  • Classic

Back when I used to give a crap about Michael Moore, he made two of the most interesting reality shows on TV: NBC’s “TV Nation” (which moved to FOX in its second season) and Bravo’s “The Awful Truth.” They were informative, funny, and balanced (well…maybe they skewed occasionally to his viewpoint, but they attempted to be fair.) They were essentially the TV version of his movies, 1989’s Roger & Me and 1997’s The Big One. Then he did 2002’s Bowling for Columbine and 2004’s Fahrenheit 9/11, and he decided to fudge facts and be one-sided in order to make a political statement (don’t let my glowing praise of Bowling fool you…I found out that he falsified the facts after I wrote my review.) Another documentarian has entered the arena though, and he is funny and balanced as well…Morgan Spurlock. His FX series “30 Days” has become one of the best non-competitive reality shows that I have seen in a long time.

The show is basically the TV version of Morgan’s Oscar-nominated movie Super Size Me. The movie showed Morgan going for 30 days on nothing but McDonald’s food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He gained 25 pounds and felt sick, but he made it. His girlfriend, Alexandra “Alex” Jamieson, had to sit there and watch what happened to him (she was a very supportive girlfriend.) His point was to show how fast food restaurants have contributed to the obesity problem in this country. I didn’t agree with everything in it, but he showed both sides, which is why I rooted for it at the Oscars (it lost to Born Into Brothels.)

“30 Days” does what the movie did: test a person out a social situation for 30 days and find out its rewards and difficulties. In the premiere episode, Morgan and Alex (who is his fiancée now) lived for 30 days on $5.15 an hour…minimum wage. They found an apartment in Columbus, Ohio that used to be a crack house and got jobs. Alex got a steady job washing dishes at a coffeehouse, and Morgan got a series of temp jobs…mostly hard labor. They struggled to make ends meet, and both had separate medical emergencies. Alex had an infection at one point, and Morgan injured his wrist. He couldn’t risk going to the free clinic, because that meant he will lose out on a day’s pay. To make matters worse, his niece and nephew spent a weekend with them, which was relatively expensive for two people on minimum wage (Morgan had decided to do this to see what it would be like for a couple who was on minimum wage and had kids.) Later, Morgan celebrated Alex’s 30th birthday with an expensive $20 meal, topped off with an unfortunate expensive cab ride (they didn’t know that the buses stopped past a certain hour.) He did try to show both sides of the minimum wage argument (the government hasn’t raised it since 1997 while the prices of goods and services have gone up), but as you see in the episode, it’s a living Hell. The argument for keeping the minimum wage at $5.15 an hour is that more businesses will be able to keep more of their employees. If it is raised, they may have to lay people off. As a Libertarian, I support lowering or getting rid of income tax altogether…but that is another argument for another time.

In the second episode, Morgan turns the reins over to someone else to experience their 30 days while he hosts (I read somewhere that if Morgan had insisted to do all six episodes himself that Alex would leave him. I wouldn’t blame her!) Scott Bridges is a 34-year-old man who lives in Los Angeles and works for a cleaning supply and distribution company. He was an athletic swimmer in college, but a wife, three kids, and 14 years have passed, and he no longer has a swimmer’s body. He really wants to get that body back, so he goes through a 30 day treatment to see if he can do get it back. The good: He started a fitness program with a personal weight trainer, and he watched what he ate. The bad: He subjected himself with human growth hormone and testosterone injections to make his body bounce back quicker. Before he started the treatment, he banked a sperm sample, just in case (he and his wife had been considering having a fourth child.) It wasn’t shocking to see that the treatments affected his liver, his sperm count was lowered, and he had ‘roid rage. He didn’t make all 30 days (he stopped after 22.) I wanted to ask the anti-aging doctor, Dr. Alan Miles, who had claimed that he had been doing these things to himself for the last eight years, how old he was. Meanwhile, Morgan showed how easy it was to get steroids in Mexico, and he participated in a speed-walking race with an athletically fit old lady (he won…just barely.)

In the third episode, a 33-year-old Christian man from West Virginia named Dave Stacy attempted to see what it was like to live as a Muslim in Dearborn, Michigan for 30 days. He had to dress in the same style as the Muslims, do what they did (including praying five times a day), and he had to grow a beard. Since he wasn’t allowed to be alone with a woman (i.e. his host family’s wife) in their house, he had to spend his days doing other stuff. He used that time to get to know more about the religion, including consulting with a Muslim teacher in the ways of Islam. He had personal struggles doing these things, because he felt that he was turning his back against God. By the end of the 30 days, he learned a lot about the faith, and he found himself defending verbal attacks against Muslims. He doesn’t believe that all Muslims are terrorists, and that there are extremists in other faiths, like Christianity. Meanwhile, Morgan talked to people on the street asking some word association games, like what most people think of when they hear the word “Muslim” (I’m sure this was a little bit of creative editing though, since almost all of them said something like “terrorist”…but I don’t think that Morgan was pulling a Michael Moore-ism here. I’ll forgive him.) He also spotlighted the public prayer being blasted over loudspeakers, and the lawsuits that followed (the Muslims equate them to church bells.) I was wondering why Dave went through his 30 days though. I know why Morgan went through his 30 days (so that he could do this show), and I know why Scott from week 2 went through his 30 days (so he could get his swimmer’s body back), but there was no preconceived reward at the end of Dave’s 30 days. I guess that he either really wanted to find out about another religion, or he just wanted to get on TV, but either way, the episode was interesting.

In the three weeks that will follow, Morgan will be having more people go through the 30-day treatment. In week 4, a conservative homophobe will live with a gay roommate in San Francisco’s Castro district. In week 5, two 30-year-old professionals will live in an eco-village in Missouri and live off the grid, i.e. they will live without fossil fuels and electricity. In week 6, a mother concerned about her college age daughter’s drinking will go binge drinking herself to show the daughter what it’s like (and to see the pressures that college kids go through to drink.)

“30 Days” is the best reality show that I’ve seen since Showtime’s “Penn & Teller: Bulls**t.” I really hope that this show becomes a huge hit and it is renewed for a second season, because there are so many topics that he could explore. Also, if there is a second season, I hope that it expands beyond just six episodes.
  • i think this is the greatest

i think this is the greatest show ever i think this show schould never end since this show has been on i loved it and wanted to star in it so what do you think of the show ?

if you want to talk about the show e-mail me at MIKE41692@YAHOO.COM
  • After watching 30 days in a muslim household, It brings an amazing insight into this part of our society and all "30 day experiences" will teach the general public of differnt ways of life.

This episode shows a culture that hasn't intergrated into western society easily. Its a justice to have a look beyond the hype and stereotypes of cultures religions and beliefs. The "All American guy" who took part in this episode was typical nice guy, a little nieve, successfull, judgemental, white american male. The change in his attitude, mindset, and general views on cultures bought a smile to my face. Its true you cannot understand a culture unless you become imersed in it. I look forward to many more "attitude adjusting" episodes
  • One of the best reality shows on tv.

Morgan Spurlock is a genius and the stuff he introduces in the shows are great. He shows how poverty is effecting America, how people treat gays and arabs, and so on. There is good humor in the show which makes the depressing facts weight out. This is a show that I hope stays on for a long time, cause it's that damn good.
  • Thought-provoking and educational!!!

I love Morgan Spurlock! After the amazing "Super Size Me" I was immediately interested in "30 Days."
    The Minimum Wage episode blew me away, and every one I've seen after has been fasinating! Morgan brings up important issues and introduces us to imformation and situations we've never realized. I hope this show continues!!!
  • greatest show

if you want to talk about the show e-mail me at MIKE41692@YAHOO.COM
  • Very nice show, very informative. I think if they added more footage of how the person handles themselves once they get back home it would drive home that persons true feeling or thoughts on what they have learned.

Very nice show, very informative. I think if they added more footage of how the person handles themselves once they get back home it would drive home that persons true feeling or thoughts on what they have learned. I know this doesn't apply to all the episodes but it would have worked nicely with "30 Days as a Muslim" or "30 Days living with gays". It's one thing to really think about someone elses point-of-view when your surrounded by it every day, but its a lot harder to hold on to that point-of-view when you go home and everyone thinks the way you used to think or feel.
  • this is a great show, that i have recommended others to watch already and will keep recommending. The information on both sides of the issue is what i like most, i almost wanna sign up for 30 days of somthing. hahaha ALMOST

absolutely wonderful, i really enjoy watching this show, i was a lil scared about the muslim one just because of the rules where the christian could only do as the muslim did, but you did a great job on that one, now i just watched the homosexual one, wonderful job again, there are a few points i do want to share with you about what the female preacher said, 'thou shall not kill' in the original greek, its translated thou shall not "murder", not kill, easy to prove get a concordance :) but what no one did say was, Jesus Died for EVERYONE, there are some rules we have to abide by, but thats for our protection, not to dictate us. and also in onother passage, it says 'if a man hates his brother he has commited murder in his heart, and no murderer will have a place in heaven. No true Christian, that loves Jesus rejoiced when anyone is harmed, belittled, linched, or hated. hate the sin Love the person. and he was right, no sin is greater than another, all is filth in Gods eyes, im just a pew sitter, not a bible scholar or nothing, the only way this is ever gonna be settled is if people open up there Bible and read it themselfs, not what i say or anyone else. and one other fact, in america aids has hit the homosexual comunity, but in africa its a hedrosexual desease, so you cant say its a judgment on homosexuals. thats why the bible says not to fornicate (have sex) befor your married, or adualtry (an affair) its to protect us from desease, not to dictate us once again.

one last word, you did such a great job on walking in somone elses shoes, i cried, ive been there, struglling, had a brand new baby, husband in the army, and still needing help, but we did have the medical covered, i couldnt imagine what would have happened if we didnt, i had to go to the emergency room off base one time, ended up needing surgery and the bill for just part of the visit was 20,000.00 granted i did have more then a sprained arm but woe, if we didnt have insurance. Keep up the great work, and stick to your ethics, and bias, your doing a terrific job i really appreciate it.
< 1 2