30 Rock

Brooklyn Without Limits

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 11, 2010 on NBC

• Liz gets new jeans and John Slattery guest-stars as a ridiculous candidate for Senate.

For the most part, I thought tonight was a pretty tame episode of "30 Rock," but what saved it for me was John Slattery's guest performance. We all know Slattery from Mad Men, and he does a great job on that show, but boy, he was showing how great he is with comedy here. The basic idea was that Jack is furious that Bookman (Queen Latifah) is running for a Senate seat that would make his merger with Kabletown tough. Therefore, he decides to try and find another candidate who will be able to take some of the momentum away from her. Enter Steve Austin. He's weird, sketchy and clearly incapable of doing anything right.. but he's still neck in neck with her somehow.

Nearly all of the episode's humor is derived from this. All of Steve Austin's commercials were idiotic yet hilarious ("Say go-go ga-ga, Jack.") and I loved it when he was telling people that if they were blind, that he's the wrestler Steve Austin. Just great writing and great acting all around.

Everything else felt a little weak. Sure, Liz's plot was funny, but it felt lackluster compared to other stuff she's given, and tonight, Jenna felt incredibly annoying for some reason. Tracy was Tracy, and I liked his fake movie that he showed to the foreign press for Oscar consideration

John Slattery, at least for me, saved this episode from being just another run-of-the-mill 30 Rock episode. Hopefully he'll return later in the season.