30 Rock Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

30 Rock Rocks

TVPhan

[1]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 2
    So apparently this show is going to be really good - and I'm excited. Especially considering the slew of shows that are already being shelved right now - before we can even remember what date/time they air (The Class, Happy Hour, etc.) I read a great review of the show today, which you should check out if you're interested: www.mediavillage.com. So I know what I'll be watching tonight instead of Dancing with the Stars, Jericho, or America's Next Top Model. So should you!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AlbieHalpert

[2]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 8
    I think you might be taking crazy pills. That show was horrible. It lacked everything that makes a decent TV show.

tatertots05

[3]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 1
    TVPhan wrote:
    So apparently this show is going to be really good - and I'm excited. Especially considering the slew of shows that are already being shelved right now - before we can even remember what date/time they air (The Class, Happy Hour, etc.) I read a great review of the show today, which you should check out if you're interested: www.mediavillage.com. So I know what I'll be watching tonight instead of Dancing with the Stars, Jericho, or America's Next Top Model. So should you!

i totally agree!!
    that other guy is crazy and you are completely right!

SteelBridge

[4]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    I liked the show and feel that once they get into the rhythm of things, it will only get better. I think it was a decent, not great, premiere. I did like it however and despite the whole Studio 60 comparisons (30 Rock is straight comedy, no drama), I liked the different vibe to the show. It's not like the other sitcoms out there. I will tune in next week for sure!

HelloStuart

[5]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 63
    "The Class" has been shelved? I thought it switched time slots with "How I Met Your Mother."

JenJen130

[6]Oct 12, 2006
    • level: 11
    HelloStuart wrote:
    "The Class" has been shelved? I thought it switched time slots with "How I Met Your Mother."

It hasn't been shelved and you're right. It actually ended up beating Mother in the ratings this week but there'll probably be a small drop off next week of those who didn't know about the time change and tuned in for "Mother" but stayed either way. The ratings were a lot better than the first few episodes any way so I'm sure CBS was happy. I was surprised that they switched "The Class" and "Mother" after the upfronts, as this schedule makes a lot more sense.

lingctus

[7]Oct 12, 2006
    • level: 10
    Everyone in the show is really funny, there's no weak link in this show. That young page looks familiar, and Alec's assistant is also on Weeds.

HelloStuart

[8]Oct 12, 2006
    JenJen130 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

It hasn't been shelved and you're right. It actually ended up beating Mother in the ratings this week but there'll probably be a small drop off next week of those who didn't know about the time change and tuned in for "Mother" but stayed either way.

You can't beat a player on your own team, though at least numbers-wise it's holding up.

Stevio

[9]Oct 12, 2006
    It was an ok premiere to what I think is going to be a great show but it really needs a laugh track.

HelloStuart

[10]Oct 12, 2006
    Stevio wrote:
    It was an ok premiere to what I think is going to be a great show but it really needs a laugh track.

I can't believe you said that...

Comedy on television has actually gotten better since they dumped the canned laughs. You don't have that feeling that you're forcing to laugh along at a certain comment or joke.

Would you care to make a counterargument?

tjaman

[11]Oct 12, 2006
    • level: 32
    I was so happy to not hear a laugh track on this show.

HelloStuart

[12]Oct 13, 2006
    tjaman wrote:
    I was so happy to not hear a laugh track on this show.

Does anyone remember what was the last hit show to have a laugh track? (obviously, I'm not counting shows taped before a live studio audience.)

tjaman

[13]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 32
    I forget if "Mad About You" had a laugh track. It probably did.

But does adding a laugh track to something make it a hit? Is that the missing ingredient, I mean?

eds_poofed_hair

[14]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 7
    Shows with bad comedy need a laugh track...but sometimes laugh tracks bring down a show that doesn't have bad comedy. There's really no way to tell how it would be without a laugh track, and no way to tell how a show would be with one. The acting is very different...due to the fact that the actors are aware of the laugh track. For example, if we took the laugh track off of War at Home it would still suck. If we added a laugh track to Curb Your Enthusiasm...although the balance of the rhythm and beats (which are an important part of the art form of television that laugh track shows neglect!) is off, it would probably still be funny. Seinfeld would've worked AMAZINGLY without a laugh track...all of the scenes *without* a laugh track in Seinfeld are the funniest. (i.e. dropping the Junior Mint, Jerry winning the race, the end to the parking garage episode...)

SuperBilly1

[15]Oct 14, 2006
    • level: 7

30 rock is awesome

HelloStuart

[16]Oct 14, 2006
    tjaman wrote:
    I forget if "Mad About You" had a laugh track. It probably did.

But does adding a laugh track to something make it a hit? Is that the missing ingredient, I mean?

Yes, MAY had a laugh track.

Until about ten years ago, taped comedy programs are practically required to have laugh tracks, or at least open themselves to a live studio audience. There were so many problems with it (unnatural pauses between lines, how annoying it sounded) that it was a happy day when it started to slowly die out. Besides, the networks should've dumped the damn thing a good fifteen years before they actually did.

Stevio

[17]Oct 14, 2006

HelloStuart wrote:
    Stevio wrote:
    I can't believe you said that... Comedy on television has actually gotten better since they dumped the canned laughs. You don't have that feeling that you're forcing to laugh along at a certain comment or joke. Would you care to make a counterargument?
    Laughter is contagious. Without a laugh track I end up thinking "That was funny", with it I actually laugh. But that's just me. I remember when I used to smoke pot and my awareness was heightened, I would notice the laugh track, and think "that is so cheesy to have laughter built in to a show". Otherwise though, you don't really notice it; it just seems to underline the joke and make it more laughable. I don't think I ever laughed at a bad joke just because it had a laugh track.

Doesn't King of Queens have a laugh track?( I can't be sure because, as I said, you hardly notice it) That's the funniest show on T.V

Kids. Don't do drugs.

Edited on 10/14/2006 1:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.

SNLFAN422

[19]Oct 14, 2006
    • level: 20
    This show is GREAT!

"My Sister Peeed in It" LOL!

JMMediaVillage

[20]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 1
    The show is hilarious - which proves that Tina Fey is awesome. Even though her Liz Lemon character on the show is very low-key, I still think she's funny. And I love Tracy Morgan - he just appears on screen, and doesn't even need to open his mouth and I'm cracking up. Even if there was a laugh track on this show, I'd be laughing along with it.