30 Rock Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

30 Rock Rocks

missyem

[21]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 1
    30 Rock is the best new comedy. The cast is great. Tina Fey ha done a great job with this. I can't believe how good Alec Baldwin is. Tracy Morgan was great on SNL and great on this. He was on Howard Stern today and even funny without a script.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Darth-Revan45

[22]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 20
    eds_poofed_hair wrote:
    Shows with bad comedy need a laugh track...but sometimes laugh tracks bring down a show that doesn't have bad comedy. There's really no way to tell how it would be without a laugh track, and no way to tell how a show would be with one. The acting is very different...due to the fact that the actors are aware of the laugh track. For example, if we took the laugh track off of War at Home it would still suck. If we added a laugh track to Curb Your Enthusiasm...although the balance of the rhythm and beats (which are an important part of the art form of television that laugh track shows neglect!) is off, it would probably still be funny. Seinfeld would've worked AMAZINGLY without a laugh track...all of the scenes *without* a laugh track in Seinfeld are the funniest. (i.e. dropping the Junior Mint, Jerry winning the race, the end to the parking garage episode...)

Good post.

HelloStuart wrote:
    tjaman wrote:
    I forget if "Mad About You" had a laugh track. It probably did.

But does adding a laugh track to something make it a hit? Is that the missing ingredient, I mean?

Yes, MAY had a laugh track.

Until about ten years ago, taped comedy programs are practically required to have laugh tracks, or at least open themselves to a live studio audience. There were so many problems with it (unnatural pauses between lines, how annoying it sounded) that it was a happy day when it started to slowly die out. Besides, the networks should've dumped the damn thing a good fifteen years before they actually did.

Don't worry, the end is near.

Stevio wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Stevio wrote:
    It was an ok premiere to what I think is going to be a great show but it really needs a laugh track.
    I can't believe you said that... Comedy on television has actually gotten better since they dumped the canned laughs. You don't have that feeling that you're forcing to laugh along at a certain comment or joke. Would you care to make a counterargument?
    Laughter is contagious. Without a laugh track I end up thinking "That was funny", with it I actually laugh. But that's just me. I remember when I used to smoke pot and my awareness was heightened, I would notice the laugh track, and think "that is so cheesy to have laughter built in to a show". Otherwise though, you don't really notice it; it just seems to underline the joke and make it more laughable. I don't think I ever laughed at a bad joke just because it had a laugh track.

Doesn't King of Queens have a laugh track?( I can't be sure because, as I said, you hardly notice it) That's the funniest show on T.V

Kids. Don't do drugs.

King of Queens blows now, I rember that I used to love that show, then I stopped paying attention to the Laugh Track and I said "this sucks" and turned the TV off. If you laugh at the "bad jokes" the characters make when they try to be funny... they suck. But the death of the Laugh Track is nigh and shows like "Scrubs", "Arrested Development", "Curb your Enthusiam", "My name is Earl", "The Office" and "Malcom in the Middle" are all on the rise. And I say, thank god.

meee223

[23]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 8

Not long ago I watched the first episode of this show online and thought it had the potential to be a very good show. Actually, it apparently already is as it is doing very well in the ratings and with all the emmy's. That is why I finally decided to watch it. After watching that first episode, I decided to go ahead and rent season 1 on dvd. Somewhat surprisingly, I was greatly disappointed. I only got through episode number 8 and quit. I found it dull and not funny. Tracy Morgan's character is just awful and is nothing to laugh at. I just could not take this show anymore. I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I wanted to drop in here and give you my 2 cents.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I tried Big Bang Theory and I absolutely love that show. I've got some catching up to do there!

thefanof

[24]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 102
    Wow, do people still think the show is bad? It's easily been the best comedy on TV for the past 2 years (not much of an accomplishment) and I'm sure it will win the Emmy again this year.

HelloStuart

[25]Oct 15, 2008
    • level: 63
    thefanof wrote:
    Wow, do people still think the show is bad? It's easily been the best comedy on TV for the past 2 years (not much of an accomplishment) and I'm sure it will win the Emmy again this year.

Don't let one hater fool you (or two, if you're a regular in the SNL Forum). Some people just don't get it, but that's their problem.

PampongMaster

[26]Oct 20, 2008
    • level: 11
    I think this show is tied as the most funny show (and maybe even winning), but what it lacks is just a little more heart to make it the best show. Don't get me wrong, I felt a little connection to Liz and Jack last season. And not having heart sure didn't hurt Seinfeld and Arrested Development, but I still prefer my comedies to make me care a little bit in addition to laughing a bunch. But that is just me, and I don't expect many to agree. I still love the show and laugh a bunch--just not the connection that I have with The Office, for example.

Water78

[27]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 47

another back from the dead forum post

i love 30 Rock. It's smart comedy and great flow of the characters keeps it going. I also like The Big Bang Theory it's more laugh out loud type of show but the laugh track is annoying at times.

avmon

[28]Oct 27, 2008
    • level: 16
    Water78 wrote:

another back from the dead forum post

i love 30 Rock. It's smart comedy and great flow of the characters keeps it going. I also like The Big Bang Theory it's more laugh out loud type of show but the laugh track is annoying at times.

I also love both "30 Rock" and "The Big Bang Theory" and being a Chuck Lorre fan, also "Two and a Half Men". By the way, did anyone see the vanity card on one of those "TAAHM" episodes when Mr. Lorre ranted about losing the Emmy and then said "I am Emmy. And I'm now being held by Tina Fey's ample bosom." (Not the exact quote except the "bosom" part). LOL!

acmb

[29]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 12
    I learnt about "30 Rock" when the series won some Emmy's for the first time. It was being broadcasted on the Spanish television at one o'clock in the morning but when it started on the cable TV I gave it a try and I only thought it was good. Episode by episode I started to like the series more and now I'm a big fan.

movieaddicted

[30]Mar 13, 2009
    This is probably the best comedy show on TV right now! I love everything about it, the writing is so funny and smart, Alec Baldwin is AMAZING and Tina Fey is an incredible woman : writer, comedienne, actress...
    The rest of the cast are also very, very talented and hilarious!

Dec1964

[31]Nov 30, 2012
    • level: 33

movieaddicted wrote:
    This is probably the best comedy show on TV right now! I love everything about it, the writing is so funny and smart, Alec Baldwin is AMAZING and Tina Fey is an incredible woman : writer, comedienne, actress... The rest of the cast are also very, very talented and hilarious!

The only show that makes me LMAO.

chazo

[32]Jan 18, 2013

Sorry to piggyback this topic but as i'm new i cannot create a topic.

I received the 30 Rock Season 6 dvd's (Region 1) for Christmas and have just opened them.

But they do not look genuine to me.

I don't wish to offend the person that bought them so thought i would check first.

All the other dvd's i have (although region 2) have images of cast or 30 rock emblems/logos on, can anyone tell me (or better yet upload an image of any disk) what the actual disks look like for this season?

And maybe disk size (in Gb)

thanks.

also how many eps left now as the last one had a coming to a conclussion feel about it.

Dec1964

[33]Jan 19, 2013
    • level: 33

Yes it does & i'm watching til' the last episode is on. Laughing

Edited on 01/19/2013 4:43pm