30 Rock Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

An Awkward Situation.

pretty_sure

[1]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 38

I've been a huge fan of 30 rock from the begining. I own the first 3 seasons and have seen every episode this season. I love this show with all me heart, but lately i don't know what it is, but the show seems really weird, and its more awkwardness than jokes. What do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 63
    I think the consensus opinion is that the show was trying too hard those first couple of years. "30 Rock" is still a funny show, don't get me wrong, just not the funniest anymore.

Doggo1988

[3]Feb 5, 2010
    • level: 8
    It's always hard when you bring British type comedy to American. Look at Arrested Development. So damn funny, but American's just don't get it.

Psy4potato

[4]Feb 10, 2010
    • level: 10
    I think the show is just as funny as when it started out. All shows develop over time and change a little bit while still holding on to the premise of what the show was intending to do. It's a comedy show, everyone has a different taste of what comedy is, and some episodes will appeal to you and some wont, in my case I find almost every episode of this show and The Office to be freaking hilarious. I think it's still has the humor in it, if not more. I really like how the supporting characters are getting more screen time now, and I love how Jenna and Tracy now both get along as Diva's. Just my opinion though, take it for what it's worth.

onthetube

[5]Feb 10, 2010
    • level: 4
    I agree with Psy4potato. A show cannot stay consistent over a number of years because it's written by human beings, and acted out by human beings, and people just change. There will always be some subtle differences between episodes or seasons...and there will always be people complaining that a show just isn't funny anymore and that it's made a 180 degree turn. But I personally don't think 30 rock has consistently ever gotten BETTER or WORSE, it changes from episode to episode.

HelloStuart

[6]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 63
    onthetube wrote:
    I agree with Psy4potato. A show cannot stay consistent over a number of years because it's written by human beings, and acted out by human beings, and people just change. There will always be some subtle differences between episodes or seasons...and there will always be people complaining that a show just isn't funny anymore and that it's made a 180 degree turn. But I personally don't think 30 rock has consistently ever gotten BETTER or WORSE, it changes from episode to episode.

Valid point. It's best to judge the show episode by episode, though there's been a higher ratio of clunkers in Season 4 than in years past.

KarlBate

[7]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 3

I live in the UK and have just watched over the last day all 4 series (I am writer for TV magazine and review TV all the time hence the first admission). This show as started to be aired more regularly on one of the UK Satellite channels (Comedy Channel). I must admit this falls into the 20 minutes, staid American comedic regularity that seems to be churned out of corporate US network channels. Now before all you very patriotic Americans get worried, I am not saying all American comedy is mediocre, but this series peaked around season 2 and then falls off gradually from there in. The cast are all admirable, and Baldwin is far superior than most, but it just does not have the edge. The lack lustre 20 minutes episodes in the last season are just as we would say in the UK showing their age, reworking old formula and then replaying it out again and again. This is not a bad comedy but I understand why the comment before, in the UK really have not given this series the light of day, as you don't get some of our humour, this series does not play out to our more sarcastic, depressive overview of comedy that is more self effacing. The comment earlier on about UK comedy and US comedy not mixing is almost correct. Modern Family uses the basis of the original BBC Office series and makes it, it's own this works but probably the US producers will run and run with it until it has no life in it. I think that this is the problem with 30 Rock, is that Mrs Fey appears to write, produce, and act in this and I think that is the problem, if she is heading up a team of writers then she is not got any distance to step back to see what the programme has become. This is the issue of where something runs and runs, but looses it's roots and it's fun. I think the best way to review this is simply put, too many episodes and it is getting stale. If you like stale then you are fine, me I much prefer fresh and cutting and edgy. I have been over the last couple of weeks looking at a lot of American Comedy shows, and at the moment, there seems to be only a few that really travel well, and sorry to say this is not one of them, nice try though.

Doggo1988

[8]Apr 4, 2010
    Aaaaaaaaaand you're full of it mate because a TV magazine reviewer would not have such poor grammar and spelling.

jonfoothonkey

[9]Apr 9, 2010
    Why are some people saying that 30 rock is getting worse? I think it's still as funny as when it started, maybe even better. Each episode seems to have it's own style of comedy, it's always been like that.

Doggo1988

[10]Apr 9, 2010
    It got better with time. It's not as good as it was, but I'm not the best judge because I watched season 1-3 in one hit, and now I'm slowly watching season 4 like everyone else.

ana_jovanovic

[11]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 12

Doggo1988 wrote:
    It got better with time. It's not as good as it was...

Which is it?

Xiolent

[12]May 3, 2010
    • level: 3

It's definitely gotten pretty weird. Especially that last one (4.19:Argus). I think it's become weird to the point of being completely unrelatable.

Doggo1988

[13]May 5, 2010
    Yeah that was a pretty poorly constructed effort by me. What I meant was 30 Rock was good for the first half of season one, then it improved dramatically from the second half of season one through to the end of season three, and now it is starting its natural decline as they run out of things to write about.

ana_jovanovic

[14]May 6, 2010
    • level: 12

Doggo1988 wrote:
    Yeah that was a pretty poorly constructed effort by me. What I meant was 30 Rock was good for the first half of season one, then it improved dramatically from the second half of season one through to the end of season three, and now it is starting its natural decline as they run out of things to write about.

I think they lost most of their steam when they started bringing big names in... and every episode someone new. Somehow the main cast got lost in that parade, and they haven't been able to come back from that...

Doggo1988

[15]May 7, 2010
    The lastest episode was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

askill

[16]May 7, 2010
    I'm with jonfoothonkey on this one..

The show did loose itself a bit after season one, probably because of the lack of Tina Fey in writing. Also you have gotten used to crazy Tracy and Jenna. So to make it more surprising, the akwardness was introduced in season three, which is the wave it's been riding ever since, and in my opinion gotten better. Though there are many different writers, they know their characters and where they're at. Season five will be the craziest ever!!