30 Rock Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

Are expectations too high for 30 Rock?

etong87

[1]Sep 4, 2009
    • level: 38

30 Rock has received numerous awards and critical praise. Has the bar been set too high?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Water78

[2]Sep 5, 2009
    • level: 47
    I didnt think they were going to top there 17 nods last year but they did.

dancingbeatle

[3]Sep 6, 2009
    • level: 45
    Possibly, but will the new season be able to rise to the top?

HelloStuart

[4]Oct 11, 2009
    • level: 63
    dancingbeatle wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to ratings or overall quality?

jekyll

[5]Oct 13, 2009
    • level: 86

HelloStuart wrote:
    dancingbeatle wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to ratings or overall quality?
    Exactly. It doesn't have to "rise to the top" quality-wise; it is the top quality show and sets the bar for everything else. As for ratings, no one expects it to be a top-rated show. Not to sound snobbish, but 30 Rock isn't a show for dumb people and simply will never hold the mass appeal of a more broad show like Two and a Half Men. It lives on critical praise and being a tentpole show that NBC can be proud of. They're both perfectly good shows, but Two and a Half Men is more relatable and in the mold of typical sitcoms.

Incidentally, the premiere touches on the relatability factor, as Jack demands TGS be more relatable to the average American, surely a veiled reference to 30 Rock itself not being wholly relatable to the average American.

Jesusfreak1098

[6]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 10
    most shows are at their best in the 4th and 5th and even 6th season. 30 rock has grown in ratings AND quality since the beginning imo. And I hope it continues to do so. I know it will. And I agree that not many people get it. I laugh at everything on this show and when i make my friends watch it they hardly laugh except at the physical comedy.

Jesusfreak1098

[7]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 10
    the rising in ratings isnt my opinion haha. Its a fact

HelloStuart

[8]Oct 31, 2009
    Jesusfreak1098 wrote:
    most shows are at their best in the 4th and 5th and even 6th season. 30 rock has grown in ratings AND quality since the beginning imo. And I hope it continues to do so. I know it will. And I agree that not many people get it. I laugh at everything on this show and when i make my friends watch it they hardly laugh except at the physical comedy.

Actually, a lot of shows tend to peak (at least, from a creative standpoint) somewhere around their 3rd or 4th season, which makes me worry if "30 Rock" has already hit that plateau. On the other hand, the producers scored a big fat syndication deal with Tribune Broadcasting over the summer, so maybe they're already phoning it in.

Water78

[9]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 47
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Jesusfreak1098 wrote:
    Actually, a lot of shows tend to peak (at least, from a creative standpoint) somewhere around their 3rd or 4th season, which makes me worry if "30 Rock" has already hit that plateau. On the other hand, the producers scored a big fat syndication deal with Tribune Broadcasting over the summer, so maybe they're already phoning it in.
    We can count on one thing though, nobody is watching the show in Germany.

ana_jovanovic

[10]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 12
    Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Jesusfreak1098 wrote:
    We can count on one thing though, nobody is watching the show in Germany.

"Making 82 million Germans laugh is never easy..."
    Ha ha
    You know that old one "German sense of humor is no laughing matter"

JavaJunkie4Life

[12]Dec 13, 2009
    • level: 25
    I think any expectations that have been set for "30 Rock" are only making it stronger. Tina & Co. know that since the ratings aren't stellar (and never have been) the critical praise and accolades are the only things keeping the show afloat.

Personally, I don't think the bar has been set too high. Each year the show is consistently the best comedy on TV, and Alec, Tina, Jack, and Jane give some of the best comedic performances of the year each and every episode, IMHO of course.

HelloStuart

[13]Dec 20, 2009
    JavaJunkie4Life wrote:
    I think any expectations that have been set for "30 Rock" are only making it stronger. Tina & Co. know that since the ratings aren't stellar (and never have been) the critical praise and accolades are the only things keeping the show afloat.

Personally, I don't think the bar has been set too high. Each year the show is consistently the best comedy on TV, and Alec, Tina, Jack, and Jane give some of the best comedic performances of the year each and every episode, IMHO of course.

Agreed. Though those first few episodes of the season were middling, the show seems to be back on track.

Boy, this forum has really flatlined since Water78 was banned...

pretty_sure

[14]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 38
    That's just what i was saying. The show has HUGE expectation and now some people are not really watching the show and I think its because the show has reached those expectations yet.

MatthewPoole0

[15]Feb 20, 2010
    • level: 2
    I'm not sure expectations are set too high; the more I watch this show the more I like it.

I completely agree though, it doesn't have to "rise to the top" to qualify a success, in fact I already see it's present popularity a success.