30 Rock

Greenzo

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 08, 2007 on NBC

• "Greenzo out!" funniest line ever!

In honor of NBC's Green Week, this episode was both environmentally conscious and a scathing satire of liberal environmentalist self-righteousness.

In a desperate bid to suck up to Earth-huggers in a pro-capitalist, free-market friendly way, Jack Donaghy hired a struggling actor played by David Schwimmer to portray "Greenzo," a tree-hugging do-gooder in green designed to win hearts and minds while fattening NBC's pockets. Best of all, Donaghy breathlessly announces that Greenzo scores well with "colored people, broads, and fairies!". But it isn't long before Greenzo and the clueless thespian portraying him go mad with a very modest amount of power. I'll probably never write this ever again, but Schwimmer was hilarious in a role that simultaneously spoofed both do-gooder excess and actorly hubris.

In the b-story, Kenneth the Page's party plans begin to spiral out of control once rumors begin to spread that T.I., Fall Out Boy, and foxy boxing will all be involved. The C-story, as usual, was less inspired, but brief and finally gave Pete something to do this season. Also, I could be mistaken but I think that was Paula Pell, veteran SNL writer, as Pete's wife, who apparently does some sinful, sinful things with a pop tart.

The climax of this show was an elliptical flashback to Kenneth's party, which apparently found Gris and Liz Lemon finally hooking up. Also, Gris or Dot.com cried. All in all it was a classic 30 Rock episode, studded with great lines and wall-to-wall hilarity.