30 Rock

Let's Stay Together

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 2010 on NBC

• Unlike last week, the guest stars didn't add anything.

Last week, I lauded 30 Rock for being able to effortlessly blend so many guest stars into one episode. I thought they all worked on equal levels and it made the episode one of the best 30 Rock episodes I had seen in awhile. However, this week, even though we're given a couple more guest stars, I felt it didn't work nearly as well. The main cast did a great job, and the writing is still extremely witty, but there were some weak spots that can only be blamed on the bad stunt casting.

For the most part, though, the episode did work. Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan were on their game as usual tonight. Tracy's line about his website being "Tracy Jordan backwards," and then seeing Tina Fey's confusedly shaking her head was priceless. Somehow, the writers even got me to enjoy Kenneth and Jenna's sideplot. Jenna appearing out of nowhere as soon as Jack mentioned tap-dancing was classic Jenna and it also didn't come across as extremely irritating. And I have nothing against the actor who plays Kenneth.. I think he's hilarious, but sometimes, the writers don't really know what to do with him, and we're left with some insane plots involving him. Tonight's episode proved he can be very funny when given the right opportunity.

However, it was a bad choice to have Queen Latifah and Rob Reiner appear. I don't know about Rob Reiner enough to be able to understand the jokes he was saying (they clearly were self-referential), and that made his appearance very lackluster. Also, Queen Latifah's only addition to the episode was grand-standing and talking in a loud boisterous voice as if she were a preacher. Both characters lent little to the plot, but the usual supporting cast (Jonathan, Dotcom etc.) and the lead cast were excellent.

Next week is a live show and should be very interesting to see.