30 Rock

MILF Island

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 10, 2008 on NBC

• MILF Island

A lot of people loved this episode, but I was not one of those people. I am all for more Pete, who on the surface may not seem that funny but he is a solid supporting character who contributes greatly to the success of the show when you realize it. Putting emphasis on Pete, though, is not what I want to see the show do and such was the case here tonight.

The whole MILF Island concept was mildly clever, and the host, Rob Huebel is great in every role he's on, but this was just an average episode for me.
  • After watching Best Little Whorehouse In Texas recently I came to realize that Kenneth The Page talks just like Jim Nabors

I was expecting more. The primary plot thread found the whole 30 Rock gang obsessed with a sleazetastic reality show called Milf Island hosted by Human Giant's formidable Rob Huebbel, who does a fairly genius riff on Jeff Probst. That there is some swell casting.

While the writers are riveted by the final episode of Milf Island, Jack ponders which of his passive-aggressive minions described him as a "Grade A moron" to a Page Six gossip columnist. It was good old Liz Lemon. For a show as hyper-verbal and dense as 30 Rock "Grade A moron" seemed like a disappointingly pedestrian insult.

Meanwhile Pete gets his hand in stuck in a vending machine in a time-wasting subplot that struck me as very late-period Simpsons. In a bit that struck me as closer to "hackneyed" than "inspired" the dynamic at 30 Rock comes to mirror the tension-filled melodrama of Milf Island. This episode benefited from a gradual increase in comic momentum but I was expecting a whole lot more big laughs right out of the gate.

That said there were some pretty wonderful moments, especially Liz Lemon accidentally recreating a Cathy cartoon and a hilarious, if apocryphal hard-luck story from Jack about his hardscrabble childhood as a stuttering misfit in the slow elementary school class. Like Arrested Development or SCTV, 30 Rock has jazzy comic rhythms so it sometimes takes a few episodes for it to get into a good groove.
  • The finest show since Arrested Development went off the air.

This is comedy television's at its finest. MILF Island is sheer genius. The first TV episode since Arrested Development to really take sitcom to a new level.

MILF island is so amazing on so many levels. It's really impossible to summarize without giving spoilers. I've probably watched this episode at least a dozen times. It never fails to bring the awesome.

From the first minute, when we are introduced to the spoof survival reality show MILF Island, the parodies and jokes keep coming at a rate so fast it's almost hard to breathe in between the laughts. Beyond the MILF island joke (which just never gets old), there are just so many classic lines (deborah vs. deBORah, who doesn't want soy joy, the MILF drank too much champagne and fell into quicksand, Gilly, etc)
  • This is a fine example of how witty are usually the screenplays of "30 Rock". I liked this episode very much because it shows a particular theory I have about reality progams which is that they take off the worst things of people.

All the crew of the program is gathered to watch the final program of the "MILF Island", a kind of "Survivor" program with some bautiful and wild motehrs as a contestants. They even have their children in the island so in my opinion the 23 minutes are a social critic. What happens with the characters of the series can be compared with what happens on that island because in the reality the contestants are ready to do whatever they have to win and so do the characters of "30 Rock" to prove they haven't said a bad thing about Jack. They argue between each other, lie to each other and even Liz Lemon has the same ideas as the woman who is going to win the reality show (the escene in Jack's office where Liz says the same as the woman who is on the Tv scree is simply is wonderful).

So, my theory that this kind of programs, reality shows, take off the worst things of people is demonstrated here. Liz Lemon is a clear example of that in this great episode.
  • Very funny...

I love this show. This episode was just a reminder when we came back from the strike of how awesome this show is!! MILF Island sounds like the sick kind of show that the TGS writers and cast and Jack would absolutely love. And Pete with his hand stuck in the SOY JOY machine the whole time -- hilarious! =] and so classic 30 Rock. Very classic 30 Rock was also Liz forgetting that she even said anything about Jack to anyone. =D And Jack knew! and everything Kenneth did was jsut awesome, but what isn't? He's Kenneth. He makes the show.
  • The most disturbing episode you'll ever see

30 Rock,
    MILF Island,
    So this episode put me back 99 cents because of on demand. The back drop for this episode is one of shows talked about earlyER this season. MILF island. A show about 8th grade boys and moms stuck on an island together. In this episode one of the people for TGS said something bad about Jack. No one will fes up. Liz is upset by this. Kenneth on the other hand knows who did it. LIZ Liz wont tell and wants one of the writers to tell. Kenneth knowing the lies bring ur soel to he//. Kenneth rushes in to tell Jack the liz was the one but yet says it was him. Also some guy i cant remember's name gets his hand stuck in a machine.
  • This is a great return episode, one of my favorites for the whole series in terms of laughs per minute.

Evidently the writers weren't totally idle during the strike since this seems too good to be done on the regular schedule.

Jack's character continues to amuse me, the antithesis of what I presume Alec Baldwin to be in real life. Liz as played by Tina Fey is just too funny. The whole cast did a great job with this one but it was primarily Liz that delivered the laughs. It is a bit bawdier than some episodes but manages to stay almost wholesome relative to most network offerings.

The premise of MILF Island, a term I had to explain to my spouse, is almost too real and I expect some network stooge to begin filming the real thing any day now. This is easily my favorite ep of the season and I hope they continue to perform at this level.
  • It was great! It's so nice to have 30 Rock back! The parallels between TGS and MILF Island were genius!

The parallels between TGS and MILF Island were so well done. For example when one of the MILF popped off her bra it was blurred, then 3 seconds later the TGS staff flicked off Liz and their fingers were blurred. Not to mention all the hosts claims: "One more shocking twist when we return" or "The game changes!" or Liz and Deborah saying the same thing. Great writing on Tina Fey and Matthew Hubbard's part! Petes B plot, though disconnected, was still hilarious. I like how they took a simple clinched plot of someone getting stuck in a vending machine, (It's been done on everything from The Simpsons to Scrubs) and did so much with it. Even making fun of the cliche itself (like when his other arm got stuck.)

Of course you can't mention MILF Island without pointing out all the innuendo. "Get off MILF Island" obviously has two meanings. I could go on an on but this review will certainly pass the PG 13 rating. I also enjoyed
    - "Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate! Aack!"
    - Jacks stuttering at the end.
    - Tina and Alec's acting in general.
    - Cheneys phone call "No Unfortunately those aren't real.)
    - "I'm not a dirtbag! This is from American Eagle! (Lutz best line to date.
    - Stammerhead Shark. (The Shark references keep on rolling in!)
  • They came back right in stride. It's like watching SNL outtakes with behind the scenes wrangling thrown in as a bonus.

When we heard about the 'MILF Island' storyline, how many of us thought, "Are they cashing in on the Reality Show madness or are they going to sodomize it?" Turns out, it was both - but heavy on the sodomy.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. It is no secret that I am a big 'Reality' hater and was just waiting for the only show (other than SNL) that is out there defending we TV viewers from the vagaries of network programming to do something about it. The seedy/unseemly side of 'throw them off the island' was spoofed to the max here (the two finalists were Deborah and Deborah - pronounced differently - who comes up with this stuff), but that's just scraping the surface.

I could probably turn in 25 to 30 quotes for this episode... in fact, it would be easier to just quote the whole script and throw out the occasional line here and there. Liz showing her feisty, ladder-climbing side; Jack manipulating the whole situation (Alec Baldwin is fantastic); the didn't-see-THAT-coming twist on the old snack-machine gag, and great lines from Tracy and Kenneth as well as many of the other staff members, made for a triumphant comeback for this 'heavy-on-the-WGA' show.

The main plot involves Liz and Kenneth skirting the truth as regards a gossip story that, seemingly, has put Jack's career on the line and backed Liz into a corner. This hints of future stories that will tie back into the whole Reality Spoof thread for the rest of the season - and more.

They can go almost anywhere they want from here... and probably will. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship and if you are not yet a fan, get on board - starting with this episode.
  • Welcome back, writers!

Now, I'm no diehard fan of 30 Rock. I've seen like all the episodes through internet streaming, but I never put it on my calender to watch. But this week, I was aware that NBC Thursday was back and going. My Name is Earl premiered last week, while every other great show premiered this week. This weeks was very silly.

The thing that really made me laugh was the show, MILF Island, which I remember was just an idea at the season premiere, starring Jerry Seinfeld! Hilarious.

The premise was a little predictable, yet still funny. Once I found out Liz did it, I knew Jack knew it was her throughout the whole thing.

This is just a brief review, and I loved the first episode back!
  • A great first episode back!

Jack's reality show MILF Island is coming to a long anticipated end...the show imitates reality when the writers must figure out who was talking to the newspaper. Jonathan must keep all the writers in his office, without food, and continually turning up the heat to get them to tell the truth, while Jack laments his past and Liz tries to figure out what to tell Jack, and Pete fights the vending machine. Alliances are formed and Kenneth brings the guilt. The only thing missing is everyone blaming Jenna.
    I loved figuring out Jack's plan before the end of the episode. The man is amazing!