30 Rock

MILF Island

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 10, 2008 on NBC

• After watching Best Little Whorehouse In Texas recently I came to realize that Kenneth The Page talks just like Jim Nabors

I was expecting more. The primary plot thread found the whole 30 Rock gang obsessed with a sleazetastic reality show called Milf Island hosted by Human Giant's formidable Rob Huebbel, who does a fairly genius riff on Jeff Probst. That there is some swell casting.

While the writers are riveted by the final episode of Milf Island, Jack ponders which of his passive-aggressive minions described him as a "Grade A moron" to a Page Six gossip columnist. It was good old Liz Lemon. For a show as hyper-verbal and dense as 30 Rock "Grade A moron" seemed like a disappointingly pedestrian insult.

Meanwhile Pete gets his hand in stuck in a vending machine in a time-wasting subplot that struck me as very late-period Simpsons. In a bit that struck me as closer to "hackneyed" than "inspired" the dynamic at 30 Rock comes to mirror the tension-filled melodrama of Milf Island. This episode benefited from a gradual increase in comic momentum but I was expecting a whole lot more big laughs right out of the gate.

That said there were some pretty wonderful moments, especially Liz Lemon accidentally recreating a Cathy cartoon and a hilarious, if apocryphal hard-luck story from Jack about his hardscrabble childhood as a stuttering misfit in the slow elementary school class. Like Arrested Development or SCTV, 30 Rock has jazzy comic rhythms so it sometimes takes a few episodes for it to get into a good groove.