30 Rock

Mrs. Donaghy

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 20, 2011 on NBC

• Hit and miss.

Well 30 Rock's back, and unlike the Christmas episode I thoroughly enjoyed, this one was just above average. I really did like Liz and Jack's storyline, the whole 1-UPing each other, and a sincere, heartfelt ending. Haven't felt like that from 30 Rock since Kenneth's rant in the end of season 4. Tracy and his wife were alright, but nothing special.

What I couldn't stand was the Jenna, Kenneth, and Danny story. Now I know this show has used storytelling that parodies classic cliche moments alot, but there's none I recall that fell as flat and unfunny as this. Nothing redeemable or interesting, and it just should have been left at the drawing board. That's sad, considering Kenneth deserves ALOT better than this. Still, it definitely brought my mark down for this week.
  • 1/20

Okay, I love Leo Spaceman as much as the next guy, but even I have to admit that his material was stolen here tonight from Dr. Hartman on Family Guy. The "you're going to die" shtick was something the cartoon doctor did and seeing pretty much his live-action version replicate it did not sit well with me.

But this was a great episode though. Usually I am not a fan of the "waking up in Vegas" accidental marriage storyline, but it worked here, seeing Liz and Jack fight, only to realize that they pretty much were in a relationship since this show was on the air. 30 Rock is one of the few shows able to pull that cliche off.
MNT