30 Rock

NBC (ended 2013)

SrRui

30 Rock Fan Reviews page 2 of 6

• Still just about the funniest show on t.v. - but agree, not as funny as it used to be.

Thanks to the episodes penned by head writer, Tina Fey, 30 Rock was an award winning, truly funny, adult oriented, comedy program. It's still better than most other shows that are labeled sit-coms - just not as funny this season as it was, in others. Some of the characters, in my opinion, have become caricatures; most notably, Tracy Morgan as Tracy Jordan. He was never my favorite on the program, but thanks to some excellent scripts, he made me laugh. Lately, not so much. I'm glad Danny re-appeared in yesterday's episode; I've enjoyed every moment he's been on the air - from the time he was hired (to shake up Jenna and Tracy) to the present. That's all for now - now that the show has returned from hiatus, will be watching for a return to the "funny."
  • Certainly not a lemon

A show of supreme quality, very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very (apologies, the former review has been moved to a new home, soon you will all be given the key) very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very enjoyable. A must-see.
  • People don't like this show, they LOVE it. However, the humour can be too 'out there' for some people. If you want straight-up observational comedy, I'd go elsewhere but if you want something fresh and original with great comic acting, 30 rock has it all!

I absolutely love this show. Having said that, it can be incredibly hard to explain why I love it so much to someone who either hasn't seen it, or someone who has seen a little of it but doesn't really get it. Comedy is a strange beast-you generally get a feeling for whether you like it or not- you don't mull it over and then specifically decide either way. I will try to explain anyway!

30 rock, for me, is sharp, witty, has excellent comic acting (particularly Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey) and a kind of bizarre humour that serves as a perfect sort of escapism (for me). This is no observational comedy about real writers and actors on SNL. It is more character driven, using the creative license that the 'show within a show' lends to the plotlines. In my opinion, Alec and Tina's characters have some of the best on-screen chemistry I have ever seen and it is worth watching even if those are the only scenes you are interested in. I think one of the main reasons I like the show so much is that I identify with Tina Fey's character, Liz Lemon. That is to say that she is alternately strong/weak, optimistic/cynical and generally living in her own world with a clear idea of her values, not to mention the utmost regard for food and Star Wars(don't worry anti-nerds you won't notice the references so don't be put off)! She says a lot of things that -although I might not say them out loud- are exactly what I would think in the same situation.

On the whole, if you love it- great! If not, then I'm not going to argue with you but I do recommend trying it because all the people I know who like it LOVE it, so it's worth a shot, I think. Otherwise, don't worry about the 'weird' and go try something else. A good comedy is what everybody should have in their life and 30 rock is the comedy for me.
  • Gone off the boil

5.2
    The first season had me hooked, but every subsequent episode of the second series makes me questioned why i watch this show. The plots are getting outlandish, we barely get more than the main characters squeezed into the episode and Tracy Morgan has been turned in to a joke. The only solution I see is to go back to basics, all the characters, the show itself and crises. Rather than making it the Tina fey and Alec Baldwin show. This show looked like a funny snappier Studio 60 but that was a far superior show and it's a crying shame it din't make it past the first season, much better writing and stories even if a little elitist
  • was it the fact that i had been awake for 24 hours when i first saw the show or was this show really the worst thing i have every seen?

i generally give television programs a fighting chance beyond the pilot but damn i could not even find a single thing mildly interesting about this show so far. despite only being 10 minutes into the second episode of the first season i am going to go ahead and rush to judgment and say this show sucks. ok, sure tina is very cute (when she is wearing glasses) and tracy is going to be the only funny part in the show (and do that well i am sure). i will still give it a chance since i want to believe this will make me laugh eventually but they better get on with the laugh laugh. how in the hell did this show make it and Studio 60 failed? Studio 60 captivated me very quickly yet this has left me wondering what it would be like to be deaf. how does 30 rock portray any aspects of producing a live tv show? sure i do not know ... whatever i am wasting my time bashing this crap
  • I don't know what everyone loves about this show.

I so hate this show it's not that funny, it's not even that intresting the whole show has a bad vibe about, Tina fey seems forced and overly scripted and Alec Baldwin just gives off this incredibly disgusting sleazy energy i like the other cast members but i just feel this showw is too unoriginal too unfunny, and just plain dumb, i have no idea of what every ones attraction is to the show half the people who say they love it i bet haven't even watched and are just trying to seem cool and fit, i mean how many emmy's has the show stolen from other deserving show's.
  • Its not higly addictive, not a guility pleasure, not something everyone can absorb but if you're patience it could be all thoese things!!.soon enough.

5.3
    i'm very confused about this show.I brought all the dvds for season 1 some days ago and i had just watched it win emmys and all theses awards for great acting, comedy and god knows what and i heard about the star cast with all these big names and Alan and Tina and i thought this is going to be awesomely funny....well it wasnt. I get hooked on tv shows real fast but this one its still hard for me to absorb...its funny but its not very ( i dont know what the word is)...impressive maybe i was expecting more...but i guess it gets better and better as they go...cause i'ave only seen 5 episodes and every review says its like a marriage it gets better as you go so i'm hoping here it does its magic for me..and strangely if it does i wouldn't be surprised.!!....cause I'm still expecting to be won over although its been a disappointment till now….nothing like the classic friends or Seinfeld imagined.!!
  • One of the funniest shows on television

Crazy antics, out of control characters and great one liners, this show has it all. The characters in 30 rock are hilarious and always doing weird stuff. Liz lemon is the one who has to keep everything together but has no personal life. Jack Donagey(sorry im sure i spelled it wrong.) Is very cynical and concided. Jeana Maroney is one of my favorites because shes real dramatic and the b**** loves to cause scenes. Tracey (who was obviously type casted) who funny and adds somethign special to the show. Overall its very funny and it deserves the success its recieveing, go Tina Fey.
  • Great show

I'm a typical child of television. My parents left it as my babysitter as a child, and I still enjoy it on a daily basis. The past several years have been a searing decline in television with all the "reality" garbage. The saving grace in my little world has been 30 Rock. I fell in love with Tina Fey on SNL, and naturally followed her to this show. Adoring her at all costs, I watched the show from day one, wanting her to succeed. Lo and behold my wishes didn't need to be answered, because this is one great show. It's funny, witty and brilliantly written. The cast is superb, and Tina is perfect in every way. Now the only mystery is how junk like American Idol and Deal or No Deal have more viewers than this high quality show. It's the inevitable dumbing down of America, unfortunately.
  • NBC has a great tradition in producing great comedies, this is another fine example.

Traditionally there are two comedy shows on television, The well made sitcom like Frasier and Seinfeld. The not so well made sitcom like My Two Dads.

30 Rock has started a new category. For me this show is better than all others, but he question is why? Can it be that this show has more main characters than other shows? Or that the show shoots outdoors instead of all cardboard made sets? Or maybe it is that the walk to the edges of what is normally shown on TV in the USA?

I think it is all off the above. The cast is great, the scripts are great, and best of all, the show is different than all others.

For the near future, I hope that all comedy writers watch this show and aim to do even better, than there is a lot to enjoy.
  • This show deserves all the praise it gets

I have only seen the first season so far but I think that the season was probably the funniest season I have seen for a sitcom. I'm going to buy season 2 right away the show is funny from start to finish. The cast is excellent Alec Baldwin is awesome as Jack Donaghy, he pulls off the role with ease. Tina Fey as Liz Lemon is equally as good. In fact the whole cast are just great. This show is awesome and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Arrested Development and SNL. This show deserves all the praise it gets.
  • I say good, but is highly overrated

30 Rock is a show about a group of stars making an sketch show (or something like that...
    30 Rock is a good show, funny, well acted and well written. But is highly overrated for me. Its not as great as people say, and I dont think it deserved the Emmy for Best Comedy (no ofense). Its funny, but not that funny and has many bad jokes. But dont get me wrong, I do like the show, its pretty funny and good and well acted and written, I just think that its highly overrated (as Ive said like a thousand times already). Sorry to anyone who love the show, its just not that good. But is still pretty good though.
  • 30 Rock rocks!

30 rock episodes really do stand the test of time. I watch old ones from past seasons and I still think they're funny. I have to say this though...I miss the old Liz Lemon; the woman who gulps wine while she's on the treadmill, the woman who uses a $4,000 ham napkin a.k.a. wedding dress, the woman who scowls and jams to Chamillionaire and eats a pop tart she found on the floor. Sure, the Liz Lemon now is more confident since she has a book out and seems to be really successful, but singing about cheesy blasters freaks me out a bit. To me, she's becoming less of a person I can relate to and veering more towards the crazy. Crazy eyes!
  • Not since Arrested Development has a show made me laugh so much.

The Office may be my favorite show, but 30 Rock is the funniest show on air. There hasn't been a show this quick-witted and ridiculous since Arrested Development. The writers know how to write for the characters, so that each one has their own brand of funny. For me, that's what makes the show. Liz has her desperate, no-quite-normal funny; Jack has his know-it-all, unapologetic funny; etc. The performances and comedic timings of all of the cast members are impeccable as well: Jane Krakowski and Tracy Morgan are simply superb with their zaney characters. And don't even get me started on Kenneth - often, he has the funniest lines in the whole show. To sum it all up, you just can't go wrong with a show that has characters like 30 Rock has.
  • A show about making a weekly variety show similar to SNL. Created by Tina Fey and the title is a reference to where SNL is tapped, 30 Rockefeller center.

This is currently the best comedy on TV if you are not watching it, you should be. Tina Fey is great as usual, but Alec Baldwin is the best thing on this show. He has tremendous comic timing and the writing for him it great. Tracy Morgan is also very very funny, him and his entourage are great. The show also have a lot of fun guest stars that fit into the show nicely, so far they have had Jerry Seinfeld and Steve Martin just to name a few. The show is so well made and I hope it is on for a long time.
  • best comedy to come along in ages - I love it!

I had pretty much given up on comedies until this one came along and reminded me how much fun they can be when the are really, reallllly good. Tina Fey/Liz Lemon is amAzing and I have loved watching her relationship with Jack evolve ever since the first episode. According to Wikipedia Tina Fey has said that Liz's relationship with Jack is "somewhere between Mary Tyler Moore and Lou Grant, and Han Solo and Princess Leia. That's perfect. Liz Lemon is not perfect but she is such an engaging endearing character. I really feel for her when she's going through stuff. I loved the one where she was being evaluated by the coop for the apartment she bid on. Among others. If I wrote a list of my favourite eps it would be a very long list.
  • Not my favourite comedy series in the history but it's usually very funny to watch.

People who doubt Tina Fey is a genius haven't seen this series in a proper way. She created this witty series about people who work in a TV show and presented us a wide variety of characters and what characters! Many some of them seem to be a bit grotesque but hey, nobody is perfect.

Although some episodes aren't as good as others, the majority of them are very funny to watch and some even have a message. Personally, I identify a bit with Liz Lemon, one of the most human characters I've ever seen on TV with many virtues and some defects. In my opinion this girl is one of the best comedian characters ever created. I also like the characters of Jack (what a boss!), Kenneth and Jenna, but honestly I can cope very much with Tracy. I don't find him very funny but like I said before, nobody is perfect, isn't it?
  • This show makes me want to move to New York in hopes to be surrounded by funny!

The show is well-respected by me not only because of my love of Tina Fey and Lorne Michaels but of all the characters assembled in it. They all have their own zany personalities - even down to the no name show grips and interns. The show is anchored by the Liz, who is the weekly anti-heroine (who is only trying to contain her own zaniness) and her boss, Jack (who is doing a better job at it, for the both of them!) They in turn are trying to keep the lid from coming off of their show, especially the shows stars: the narcissistic Jenna and loopy Tracy. This ensemble to me is rare, not only in the gimmick of every episode but the dynamic of their relationships. Not only that, there is an outer shell of other supporting characters that reoccur and make the show that much more sublime, yet hilarious! Oh, god. Then enter in the guest stars like Salma Hayek and Jon Hamm. Jon Hamm is currently my favorite guest star with his "Bubble" episode.

I LOVE THIS SHOW.
  • 30 rock is one of the best shows on tv. I love it. I can't wait to get caught up on past seasons. Of course Season 4 will be good too.

30 rock is one of the best shows on tv. I love it. Tracy is the funniest character. The episode where he went on Larry King was hilarious causing all the problems with the stock market.

Of course Liz is quite funny too. Especially the Flu Shot episode where their isn't enough flu shots for everyone and Liz said she wouldn't get a shot but ends up getting one when she gets to go on vacation. I loved how Jack got back to his old job within a day of working up the ladder. I can't wait to get caught up on past seasons. Of course Season 4 will be good too.
  • the funniest show on tv right now

This show is fantastic. The casting is great and I laugh really hard every episode. I still don't like it as much as the office because while i do laugh more when 30 rock comes on i feel overall more satisfied after i watch an episode of the office unless it really sucked. But the show is funny as hell and just hearing kenneth talk makes me crack up. I have never been a fan of Tina Fey but she is really good in this show. Alec Baldwin is hysterical, and tracy morgan is great as well. Very, very funny show
  • FUNNY!! FUNNY!! FUNNY!!

This is absolutely one of the funniest, if not the funniest show on TV today. I have been watching it since episode 1 and it had gotten better every season. Jack an Liz are the staples of the show. The interaction between these two is classic. They look after each other as long as there is something in it for them. Tracy is the funniest on the show, almost to the point of being goofy. Jenna tries to impress everyone with her acting a singing talents to the point of annoying everyone. Kenneth Parcell is in my opinion the best character on the show. Some of the stuff he does to continue being a page is hilarious. The rest of the team that round out the show are: Pete Hornburger, Frank Rossitano, Cerie Xerox, James "Toofer" Spurlock, Josh Girard, Dotcom, and Grizz, are each funny and a unique part of the show.
  • This show, created by Tina Fey, is an incredible series on NBC.

30 Rock is an incredible show and is one of the most smart, funny television programs on currently. Liz Lemon is hilarious. I have liked this show since the Pilot episode. Hopefully, NBC will continue to renew this television show, despite it's relatively low ratings. Tracy Jordan is really funny. "They ingecting AIDS in my chicken nuggets, that's a metephor." is one of the hilarious lines from the first episode of this television show. I reccomend this show to anyone who likes to laugh. It balances the funny, the awkward, and the absurd. I look forward to several more seasons of this great comedy!
  • Good show with a few laughs

Not totally hilarious but it has good moments in it. A good diverse bunch of characters to keep you interested. I heard about 30 Rock a while ago and have just started watching it. The story lines and jokes are funny enough to keep me watching. Tina Fey holds the head of the cast well with good support from Alec Baldwin and the rest of the cast. I shall keep watching 30 Rock until it gets turfed and hopefully thats not too soon.
    Not as zany as Arrested Development or Curb your Enthusiasm, but I think thats a good thing. Sometimes those shows wear on me a bit.
  • A quirky look inside an NBC Variety Show with self-absorbed actors, power hungry execs and insecure writers. A great show!

When this show first started a had a feeling that it would be another studio 60 done more colorfully. I could not have been more wrong, this show has its own charm and with a perfect cast it is able to deliver laughs with almost every scene.

This show centres around an NBC show called TGS which has a female lead as its star but when Jack Donaghy takes over the TV arm of the major corproation that supposedly runs NBC. He believes that the show needs a name actor to survive so recruits a known film actor who was struggling privately. Enter Tracey Jordan, well known Black Comedian who has a string of poor films and needs to keep his career going.

Enter Liz Lemon, head writer on TGS and laison for Jack and the rest of the staff on the show. She is a single woman in her mid 30's who has a geeky persona that sees her prone to many situations in her personal life that make for some great comedy.

Amongst the myriad of characters that are all unique in their own quirky ways there is Kenneth. The Page boy for the NBC building who has always dreamed of being involved in TV in anyway he can and being a Page Boy is the way to do it. His naive demeanour leads to him befriending Tracey and idolizing Jack.

This show is arguably one of the funniest shows on TV and has been growing every season with constant laughs and great plotlines. Where most comedies have weakened over the season (How I Met Your Mother) 30 Rock has becomed better as time has gone by. This is largely due to high quality writing and the great casting. Alec Baldwin was a stroke of genius as Jack as he brings an aura of authority and experience but at the same time has near perfect comic timing. Tina Fey has created a show that will entertain you every week and make you want to duck out and buy the seasons on DVD so that you can watch them again and again!
  • Great Comedy

The first episode I saw of this show I just couldn't stop laughing. Which made me want to keep watching it until it became addictive!

Tina Fey is just amazing; the way she plays Liz is genius (no wonder where those EMMYS came from).

The entire cast makes such a great job at their respective characters, and they all make the show one of the greatest comedies of all times. The writing is one of the best I've seen; is entertaining and funny. I guarantee you won't be bored at all; on the contrary you just won't be able to get enough!
  • Bottom line great

This show is hilarious especially since tracy, alec, tina, and every one else gets along so well the comedy just flows. It gets better every time i watch it when i first tuned in i thought it would be just another stupid show but it has impressed me passed all reasoning. I hope they never cancel this show it is too funny to cancel. The "Funcooker" bit was hillarious and how tina fey fits into her character so well i dont think anyone else would have brought Liz Lemon to life like that other than tina fey. NBC actually produces another success
  • Lix Lemon (Tina Fey) leads a hectic lifestyle managing "TGS with Tracy Jordan" and finds herself both succeeded and usually failing due to her crazy writing staff, personally involved boss (Alec Baldwin), and diva-like celebrities.

"30 Rock" is the typical Tina Fey comedy. It's quirky, funny, and witty with a nice balance of cast members. Alec Baldwin shines as the personally involved boss, while Ms. Fey herself plays the over-worked Liz Lemon. Jane Krakowski and Tracy Morgan both give a much needed craziness to the show as the diva-like celebrities, while various actors play Lemon's writing staff. What really makes "30 Rock" succeed though is the intelligent writing. Tina Fey has created a modern comedy that successfully blends slapstick and witty humor through its varied cast, and the show really hits the mark with its rapid one-liners.

Recently, "30 Rock" has proved inconsistent due to a slew of A-list guest stars. Ms. Fey will hopefully respond to this and return to plots centered around TGS.
  • Some of the best TV around.

'30 Rock' is just about the best thing around. Since classics like 'The Simpsons' have long been in a downhill spiral and the likes of 'Boston Legal' just aren't quite true to their old form the competition for the best show going more or less comes down to '30 Rock' and 'Scrubs'. And with the latter wrapping up, '30 Rock' is soon going to reign supreme. The show is smart, satirical and just that little bit braver than most primetime US television in its humour. It also lacks the irritating moralising of the aforementioned 'Scrubs' (for all my deep love of sitcoms, I look elsewhere for profound life lessons). Of course on top of all this is the cast and the characters. Tina Fey is a given, but Alec Baldwin who joins her in heading up the show is in absolute top form giving his best performance since his all-too-brief appearance in 'Glengarry, Glen Ross'. The interplay between Fey's Liz Lemon and Baldwin's Jack Donaghy rivals that between William Shatner and James Spader in 'Boston Legal'. The supporting players are also fantastic, something necessary for a trully successful comedy series. Dr Leo Spaceman (pronounced 'spə¡¤ch¨§m¡ä¡¤ɪn', portrayed by Chris Parnell) is just about the funniest character in any show I've seen in a very, very long time. He's a Dr Nick Riviera for this decade.

The show's humour, like all the best sitcoms, is tiered. There are the smarter, subtler jokes (the episode 'Cooter' is a top-notch satire of big government and bureaucracy, especially the recurring joke of the roof-leak) and somewhat more lowbrow, but equally hilarious stuff (Tracy Morgan's character running down the freeway in his underpants shouting 'I am a Jedi'). Whilst not quite as funny as recent British shows such 'Black Books' or 'The IT Crowd', nor American classics such as 'Seinfeld' or 'The Simpsons' in its prime, '30 Rock' is still consistently funny and top of that one finds one's self immersed in the plots and the lives of its characters. I hope there are many more seasons to come.
  • Oh Tracy! New York in 70's was wonderful place. Tracy send the staff on a treasure hunt, Liz experiences the pitfalls of adult pictures(it's a shame it was used as blackmail, they were both facing the right direction)and Jack commits to his relationship.

All in all this episode was amusing. It was quirky, as usual, but entertaining. Tracy's mayhem was a riot. I think Liz and Kenneth's plot was a original considering she seems to resent his presence, morals, and general being most of the time. Jack, once again, finds himself unlucky in love, which stinks for him. Peter Frampton's voice almost has an appearance which is really funny too. Also, I want to point out what a trooper Larry King is. He has to be 83 years old and yet he manages to do his own show and a guest spot on this. Keep truckin' along Larry, you big lug.
  • This is, by far, the best show on TV. This should be on everyone's watch list!

I have been a fan of Tina Fey for some time, so I was sure I'd enjoy this show. What I did not expect, was that I'd love it as much as I do. Not only is the writing phenomenal, but the performances by each and every cast member deserve the highest recognition. Now, prior to this show, I found Alec Baldwin to be very boring and I found Tracy Morgan to be annoying. But in this show, these two actors have been given the roles of their lives. Morgan's character has got to be one of the funniest characters I've ever witnessed and look forward to his ridiculousness each and every episode. If you aren't watching this show, you should start! I also recommend adding each season to your DVD collection, this can be watched over and over without losing the funny!
1 2 3 4 5 6