30 Rock

NBC (ended 2013)

SrRui

30 Rock Fan Reviews page 4 of 6

• One of the best comedies out there.

When I heard that Tina Fey was writing a show of her own, I just couldn't miss my chance to witness the start of something spectacular. Then I heard Alec Baldwin, Rachel Dratch, and Jane Krakowski were also to star, and that was it for me, I just had to watch this show. So far in Australia we are currently in the middle of the first season, and I have loved EVERY episode to death! My favourite is definitely Kenneth with his geekish but funny behaviour, Baldwin's character is also one of my favourites. Any scene in the writer's room is bound to be hilarious, along with Tracy Morgan. So overall, I love this show, it's characters, actors, scenes, humour, and everything about it!
  • The daily happenings inside an NBC sketch comedy show.

Apparently this is where all the humor from SNL went. Because this show is hilarious, plain and simple. For a show that had trouble in the beginning they have been able to hang on and make quite an impression. With Emmy wins it is now one of NBC's favorites shows, so we wont have to worry about it getting canceled any time soon. And it is funny enough I don't think they have to worry. This show will only gain more and more viewers. I hope this show maintains its quality. But with the mighty talent of Tina Fey, I am sure it will.
  • A show within a show concept, a comedy about NBC execs and whats called for putting on a SNL type skit

The first season of this show was pretty good. I dont really enjoy it that much this season though :(. This is a show with in a show concept of NBC execs, writers, directors, and actors in work situations. It often has guest celebrities as themselves with a high-brow almost too cool for the room attitude. My favorite episode is when Conan O'Brien was on the show. Of course Alec Baldwin is the star and the funniest of the show. His over the top attitude and snobbish behavior should be irritating but he manages to make his character humors and lovable.
  • Change my mind on this one...

30 Rock is an Emmy Award-winning American sitcom that debuted on NBC on October 11, 2006. The show was created by former Saturday Night Live (SNL) performer and head writer Tina Fey, who stars in the show and has written numerous episodes, including the pilot. Fey is also one of the show's executive producers, it stars Alec Baldwin who I think is a great actor and Tina Fey. Alec is very ggod in this a usual but I didn't like Tina in it.
    I watched the first episode and I wasn't impressed but the second episode was much better so i kind of changed my mind.
  • Tina Fey doing her own thang. Alec Baldwin and Tracy Jordan act.

The show is young, I realize that, and it may be a bit premature to call this a classic yet, but it's shaping up to be. Every episode is extremely bizarre and the show seems to be getting better and better as time goes on, though it did start off pretty damn well last year. Tina Fey is a writer on the show, removing herself, sadly, from SNL, which is really missing her. But, then again, their loss is our gain. This show is great, it's the best sitcom on TV right now and it simply needs to be watched purely becasue it seems like the type of show critics love and nobody watches and subsequently goes off the air. So watch it.
  • The great thing about 30 Rock is that it is all about being funny.

So if they take a few chances, that goes with it. I laughed out loud several times early in the show. Sure some of the jokes toward the end didn't pay off but the show is always completely amusing and often very funny and this episode fit that mold. Pete having an affair with his own wife developed that character which is great. Its impressive the show can pull in guest shots from Schwimmer, Gore and Vierra. The show at the same time promoted green issues and made fun of the goofs that promote them and that is genius when you can do that. You gotta love Gore for both promoting his cause and making fun of himself with the Whale joke.
  • funny.. smart.. show! cant get enough

Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey are brilliant -the writing is so funny and appealing to both a male and female sense of humor -I love Liz Lemon. This is a female character I don't think I've really seen before or not for a very long time. She is smart and nerdy and neurotic and successful...and she can hang with the guys and is kind of a dweeb...so relatable for nerdy girls like some i know! This and Ugly Betty (for different reasons) are the best new shows and they will run for a long long time.

The writing is so good and caters to smarty-pants type of people who like their comedy wry and subtle...

I applaud you Tina Fey: you are genius and the best TV heroine right now
  • 30ROCK

A show about a sketch show is possibly one of the most original ideas from the start of television and if you do not believe me then you should watch this show createdby the comedian middle-aged Tina Fey, who is not only stunning but funny as well.
    But why has Tina Fey always have to be involved with black people in her TV projects, as well as references in Mean Girls to black men. Is she involved in some way with an African-American? Hmmm.. Strange yet interesting!
    ;D Perfect show with a star-studded cast and superb pilot as well, did I mention that?
  • I wonderfully refreshing sitcom with an A+ cast.

I only discovered this show at the end of its first season, and I can't believe I missed it. This is one of the funniest shows on television. With its incredibly funny and strong cast (Alec Baldwin in particular) and clever writing, I find myself laughing at this show more than any other on TV right now.

Tina Fey is perfect as the star of the show and her years writing for SNL showcase her knowledge of humor and comedic timing. One of my personal favorites from SNL, Tracy Morgan, also stars (as Tracy Jordan), and almost everything he says on the show has me rolling on the floor. And the supporting cast is just as funny as the lead, with almost no exceptions. Easily one of the best comedies on television right now.
  • A behind the scenes look at a SNL-like show called The Girly Show...TGS. The relationships and funny mishaps that go on in the office and on stage with the characters.

This is my absolutely most favorite show ever. I cannot believe I missed it up until now. Liz Lemon is so funny and smart. Jack Donagy and his disfunctional Irish family are always hysterical. His lack of empathy for others coupled with his "success" on the job is a conundrum. He plays it very well. Kenneth, as NBC page, brings a subtle humor with is complete innocence and pure driven energy.

The writers each have their own personalities and sense of humor.

This show is so smart! As a newbie, all I can say is I'm glad to have found it, better late than never!
  • Hilarious Show!!!!!!

30 rock has become one of my favorite shows that are still on the air which for me is hard to find because there is so much crap on tv nowadays. It's the best comedy since my personal favorite, Arrested Development. Each ccharacter is perfect and without just one of them the show wouldn't be the same. The guests that come on are also hysterical and I hope with the new season that they keep with the guest star every few episodes thing that they did in season 1 because it's really funny to see who ends up on there next. If you want to watch some really smart comedy, this is the show for you.
  • A comedy about Liz Lemon the head writer of "The Girlie Show"

Meet Liz Lemon, the head writer of The Girlie Show that has to run her show without losing her head after her old boss dies and a new one called Jack Donaghy moves in.
    This is one of the best comedies of the decade because it has a lot of funny situations and also a great cast with Tina Fey of Saturday Night Live and Alec Baldwin, the show just gets better with every episode and a lot of strange situation, like a movie called "the rural juror" that no one can pronounce or a stolen baby and also a lot of Snapple publicity.
    This show is really funny and should get a lot of more seasons.
  • Very Funny!!!!!!

30 rock (other than arrested development) is probably the best comedy of the decade. I mean its funny, witty, and all the characters are hysterical. Alec Baldwin is amazing as Jack and is one of the funniest characters I've seen. The writing is also really good. The best part is not only is the show hilarious, but every episode gets better and better so you really can't stop watching it because you will most likely miss an episode better than the last one. I think once the second season starts in october and all the new viewers who have found out about this show(including me), will help it get the good ratings it deserves and hopefully it will stay on for a while.
  • Interesting...

I really didn't think that I would like this show, but the more I watched it, the further involved I got. Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin make the show, and are two characters you relly want to see get together. Sometime very funny, the character of Tracy Jordan often feeld superfluous to the plot, but the assistant Kenny could have his own spin-off, especially with how the character has developed through out the season.

So, I definitely will be checking out Season 2, and hope that some of the sillier moments that took place in Season 1 won't be added into the next episodes. All in all, a good show!
  • 30 Rock. Liz Lemon, played by Saturday Night Live's Tina Fey, is the head writer of the fictional TV show, 'The Girlie Show.' When her old boss dies and a new boss comes in, Liz must try to run a successful TV show without losing her mind.

This show is packed with humor that will have you non stop laughing at any moment of time.I am usually picky when it comes to comedies but when if first watched the pilot i was hooked.Then i started to watch each and every single episode till the season finale.The actors are well known and very funny.Tina Fey gives an outstanding performance as Liz Lemon the head writer of the Girlie Show.Alex Baldwin will crack you up with his sense of humor and his one liners.I think this show will appeal to anyone that has interest in comedy.All in all you should give this show a chance.It might just suprise you.It's appart of NBC's comedy night done right.So i highly recommend you watch the show within a show known as 30 Rock.
  • 30 Rock is one of the funniest comedies of the decade!!!

Tina Fey and her crew of funny writers and actors and even the ecentric Alex Baldwin all fit in well together in what I feel is one of the funniest comedies of the decade. The wrtiers always crack me up with their impressions and thoughts on the world. They are all naturally funny on and off the set and that's why 30 Rock is soo funny. Tina Fey's character of Liz Lemon is the funniest. She reminds me so much of Mary Tyler Moore. So distracted from work that she has never been married but yet she is sweet, funny, intelligent, and beautiful at the same time that you just wanna take home her to Mom and say I'm gonna marry her. Bottom line: 30 Rock is the best show of 2007 and it deserves to be on for a long time.
  • Not a Tina Fey fan yet? Take a handful of your crazy pills and check out this show!

In case you didn't notice when Tina Fey was still on SNL, the only predictable bright spot during those years was Weekend Update. Both with Jimmy Fallon and Amy Poehler, Fey gave us the perfect self-depricating straight man, or rather, woman. Now, Fey has taken her Daily Show-esque schtick to her own show, and 30 Rock doesn't disappoint. In sequences that remind me of classic Seinfeld episodes, we see Fey's Liz Lemon character struggling with the challenges of being a single career woman in New York City, all while working for Alec Baldwin's Jack Donaghey character, who is the hardcore businessman version of J. Peterman. 30 Rock has a shot at becoming a modern classic if it can maintain the balance of slapstic, social commentary, situational humor, and craziness. That is, as long as the Black Crusaders let them.
  • After the last few lackluster seasons of Saturday Night Live, I was worried that this show would suffer from the same affliction as those terrible SNL-based films

After the last few lackluster seasons of Saturday Night Live, I was worried that this show would suffer from the same affliction as those terrible SNL-based films, like The Ladies Man, Superstar, Coneheads, Night at the Roxbury.... but 30 Rock is actually a character-driven comedy, rather than a gag-driven one like those films.

Tina Fey managed to put together a great cast using classic sitcom archetypes. Alec Baldwin is hilarious and subdued as the meddling nitwit boss, Tracey Morgan is genuinely brilliant as the wild and crazy black guy, and newcomer Jack McBrayer is thoroughly enjoyable as the creepy intern. Of course, the whole show is centered on Tina Fey, the constantly put-upon producer of an SNL-type late night comedy show. She has great comedic sensibilities, but she has wisely surrounded herself with a fantastic ensemble cast.

The show is literally jam-packed with laugh-out-loud gags, so even when one joke doesn't work, there's at least two other jokes that do work around the corner. After Tracey Morgan's last sitcom flopped, I feared that we'd seen the last of him. As the Martin Lawrence-esquire egocentric star of the show-within-a-show, Morgan excels. Without the burden of carrying the entire show, Morgan is able to fully realize his potential playing 30 Rock's a psychotic, preening celebrity host. The real gem on the show is Alec Baldwin, who usually gets the best one-liners as the idiot-savant NBC executive who can manage a big business but not his own life. But what really makes the show work is its cast of veteran comedic character actors who staff the fictional comedy show, including Scott Adsit of HBO's Mr. Show and Judah Friedlander from the film American Splendor.

30 Rock premiered on NBC at the same time as the similarly themed Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, another SNL-based series. While Studio 60 took the dramatic route, 30 Rock went comedic. In the end, 30 Rock is better, however. Studio 60 suffers from too much moralizing and a large cast that the scripts can't quite manage to service.
  • One of the best comedies on TV!

Arguably one of the best comedies on TV, 30 Rock has captured the hearts of many new viewers. I think it's the twisted personalities and situations that are presented. It's like what they say about a train wreck. You know you should look away but you just can't. In comparing it to the rest of the offal we have to choose from, Rock is smart, endearing and above all FUNNY. Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey are incredible together and Tracy Morgan has never been better. He plays the perfect character to the show over the top. Go Tracy!
    Brilliant stuff here . If you're not watching you're missing out on one of the best comedies on the tube.
  • NBC seems to be successful with the "workplace" sitcoms -- perhaps its a new trend?

"30 Rock", an NBC situation comedy, is a workplace sitcom, much in the style of "the Office". Starring, created, and written by the great Tina Fey, this sitcom is one that completely interests me much like "The Office" never will. "30 Rock" is not a dumb comedy, much like some, but actually is more of a smart comedy, in which mostly those interested in the field that the comedy takes place in will understand. "30 Rock", however, is unique from "The Office" in that it encompasses many fields: screenwriting, acting, workplace situations, women, men, and just plain out life. Following the life of Tina Fey's remarable character, Liz Lemon, and Alec Baldwin's equally interesting character, Jack Donaghy, is a style which will open it up to both genders and both styles of workers -- the boss and the underlings. Men take interest in following the Alec Baldwin, Jack McBrayer, and Tracy Morgan characters, along with the quirky writers of Lemon's writing room, in order to achieve their laughs, usually. The Tina Fey, Rachel Dratch, and Jane Krakowski characters interest the women, usually. Oftentimes, a comedy such as this which employs many fronts is the most successful type of comedy, and you can choose to see it through whoever's eyes you want, not through the eyes of one central character. You could choose the emotionless boss who's dull, monotone voice often conjures hilarity, the frantic underling struggling to keep herself from going mad, or the innocent, naive worker boy who's only -- yet very funny -- goal is to say "Yes, [enter name here]" and then drastically misunderstand their directions. All in all, "30 Rock" is a comedy of epic proportions; it'll be around for a while, I'll bet. So, here's my grade. 9.7/10
  • With all eyes on the production of Liz Lemon's weekly sketch show, we follow the wild antics of her cast and crew each with their own zany twist.

30 Rock has not had a very good tracking in the ratings but the die hard fans that swear by it appear to be keeping it alive. With big name actors Alec Baldwin Tracy Morgan and Tina Fey, the acting is good to say the least. On the opposite spectrum of Studio 60 this light hearted, slapstick comedy gives the viewer less drama, funnier jokes and overall a better experience (maybe why IT survived another season). Sometimes you find yourself wondering why they put in the ludicrous stunts and the cheap laughs, but then you realize that this is the show for that, another fun Thursday night sitcom...
  • I can't wait until thursdays.

This show is sooo underapprecitaed. Its kind of rare to not have a laugh track. But this show is good comedy and doesn't need one. Tina Fey ROCKS!!! both as a writer and an actor. I'm happy for her success. Alec Baldwin is awsome and is just magical on this show. Tracey Morgan... I'm speechless. This role fits him so well. LOVE his charcter. Jenna, is shallow but turns out to be sooo nice and awsome. and who couldn't help but not like Kenneth. I can't wait until thursdays.
  • Average comedy

I watched every episode of the first season of 30 Rock. The main reason I started watching the show was that it was 30 minutes long. Most the shows I watch are hour long shows so there is times where I want to watch something but don't have enough time to watch them. As the season went on, I found myself enjoying the show less and less. I find Alec Baldwin to be the best part of the show. He does a great job playing the network boss but the other characters are annoying. At this point, I do not plan to watch the show for another season.
  • hilarious!

Somewhere around the time of The Rural Juror and a foray into accidental incest, 30 Rock, NBC's underdog series about the shenanigans at a sketch-comedy show, transformed from a decent sitcom to a very good one. Its ensemble crackles, its writing is tight and sly, and right now no show better captures New York City — even the theme song sounds as if it belongs in a Woody Allen movie.

Credit creator Tina Fey for her decision to go Seinfeld (the actor, not the series — Fey's Liz Lemon lets the crazy unfold around her). Credit Tracy Morgan (Tracy) for dialing down his alter ego a notch. Credit Jane Krakowski, who uses Jenna to mine the depths of a vain Actress of a Certain Age. Her techno dance spoof ''Muffin Top'' — it's No. 1 in Israel, naturally — was a season high point. (Sample lyric: ''My muffin top is all that/Whole grain, low-fat/I know you want a piece of that/But I just want to dance.'') And credit Alec Baldwin. Seriously credit Alec Baldwin. His GE executive Jack Donaghy embodies Rock's strength. It offers humor for both the absurdist (Jack: '' You must know Arsenio.'' Tracy: ''Hall or Billingham?'') and the traditionalist (Jack to Kenneth the NBC page — played by scene-stealer Jack McBrayer — on the corporate job-switch day called ''Bottoms Up'': ''I'm going to be your bottom, Kenneth. I want you to ride me as hard as you can'').

NBC should be riding this terrific comedy as hard as it can, so why is it about to pull it off the air for five weeks?
  • This is a great show, but you have to let it grow on you.

All season I thought this show looked awful. I watched the pilot and I didn't really like it but I came back later in the season and I love it now. It's one of my favorite shows now, I can't miss an episode.
    The acting inparticular is excellent, especially from Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin and Jack McBrayer, they are great comedy actors. The comedy of the show is excellent and is bound to crack you up. The writing is excellent and very well done. Everything about this show is great, you can't fault it.
    This show has really revitalised NBC's comedies.
  • I would describe the show as Dilbert meets backstage Saturday Night Live, but in a good way.

Never Judge a Show by it’s Pilot: 30 Rock I feel that before I watch the pilot episode of 30 Rock I must purge some things from my mind. First is going be the obvious comparison to Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. This half-hour sitcom should be judged on it's own merits and not be compared my favorite new hour-long drama. Second, and not so obvious is my own frustration after attending various networking functions and constantly being told by many network comedy development heads all saying they do not want "Behind the scenes" shows (Please don't ask me to name names.), but every fall I still see new "Behind the scenes" shows. Some feel that this is because Hollywood's new young writers have never worked outside the entertainment industry so they write what they know. Others feel that those who work in Hollywood think that their lives and jobs are just so interesting that everyone in America will find their lives and jobs just as interesting (Again please don't ask me to name names.). Finally, I like Tina Fey. I think that she is an incredibly talented writer and performer, but I can't let those feelings influence my evaluation of the show.

I watched the show. I would describe the show as Dilbert meets backstage Saturday Night Live, but in a good way. I really like the fact that the show is set in a real place (NBC Studios) and the characters work for a real company (NBC). Tina Fey writes, executive-produces and stars as Liz Lemon the head writer of The Girlie Show. Fey told USATODAY.com, "It's not meant to be Saturday Night Live. None of the actual events are real, just sort of the vibe of the place. And the people are amalgams of people." The people include Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy, the new VP of development for NBC GE Universal K-Mart. Donaghy is the Peter Principle, "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence", realized. He was successful in GE's microwave oven division and was put in charge of Lemon's show. His first decision is to have Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan), an unstable movie star, to join the cast. The idea of someone moving from microwaves to TV development seems plausible to me in this world or corporate owned media. The part I did not find plausible is the NBC page Kenneth (Jack McBrayer) who seems somewhat slow and unambitious for someone in this entry-level position with the network, then again he might be running the network in five years. This workplace sitcom has great possibilities when you have the corporate people thinking that the creative people are crazy and the creative people thinking that the corporate people are stupid. This pilot is very funny but it is a premise pilot (I've heard that Network people don't want to see premise pilots either, again please don't ask me to name names.), but I never judge a show by it’s pilot.

The next episode has the same style and pace as the pilot. The important thing is that the show is funny. I am also glad that this is a single camera sitcom. I don’t think that the show would be nearly as good if shot with three or four cameras in front of a live audience. This show is the exception of rule that "Behind the scenes" would only have appeal to people who live in New York or Los Angeles. Tina Fey created a show that should be appealing to anyone who has worked for a big corporation and has used the words "Management" and "Idiots" in the same sentence.

To quote
    Jack: I'm Jack Donaghy. New VP of development for NBC/GE/Universal/Kmart.
    Pete (Scott Adsit): Oh, we own Kmart now?
    Jack: No. So why are you dressed like we do?

Stay Tuned
  • Crazy boss Crazy employees Crazy people Crazy show

At first I thought this show was boring and noy my style. But after actually finishing an episode, I was interested! I love clever comedies and this one takes the cake. The things Alec (character in show) says always seems to be notable. However, this show just doesn't stand out. Its unimportant and is with recording with DVR, but definitely not worthy to remember what time or schedule it. I have to admit though, I always have to laugh or chuckle here and there. What probably makes this show nonimportant is The Office (which is similar), but theres nothing compared to it. It's an okay show worth watching once or twice.
  • A fictitious account of the real life sketch comedy institution Saturday Night Live. A sitcom without a laugh track but with big laughs, set in New York with an excellent cast.

If 30 Rock is the future of comedy than we, the television viewing public, have a lot to be thankful for! Following The Office, 30 Rock completes the best hour of “funny” television currently on the air. And for those nostalgic for must see Thursday’s of the 1990’s it’s on NBC.

30 Rock is very funny, it’s that simple. Excellent writing and an excellent cast are the foundation of great TV and 30 Rock scores on both counts. The frenetic, wacky sensibility of Tina Fey’s writing style combined with the electric performances of Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan make this show a potential classic!
  • Not the coolest thing, but it's nice.

It's always been my contention that great comedians make some of the best dramatic actors.

Well, what we have here is the corollary to the above-stated theorum. Our good buddy, Alec Baldwin, he of the "Third place is you're fired" monologue from "Glengarry", has quietly honed his comic timing via a run of "SNL" appearances and movie roles ("State and Main")and emerged as one of the funniest actors around. His delivery has gotten so good that he's become one of those guys that's funny standing still, before he utters word one. You're laughing before you even know what the premise is. It's a hard pill to swallow, but it's gotten to the point that I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch Alec Baldwin again in a dramatic role without lapsing into hysterics before he deigns to offer a line of dialogue. "30 Rock" may put the final nail in the notable career of Alec Baldwin-"Serious Actor", but I sure ain't complaining. If for no other reason, you should be watching this show just to see him deliver a line.

And if you still want another reason, Jack McBrayer is a flat-out hoot, and Tina Fey, who wisely scrambled from the deck of "SNL" before the ship utterly submerged, is obviously having the time of her life.

"30 Rock" fits neatly into the "no laugh-track zone" that has become NBC's funniest Thursday night line-up ever.
  • Great Show, I hope it lasts!

it took me a while to finally give it a chance, but here i am finally. It's been a great show so far. I'm probably half way finished watching it. The episodes go by so fast, that I can just keep watching and watching. I really hope it makes it to the next season, i would hate to see it cancel when there's so much crap on tv, and all the good shows, that have smart writing get canned. Alright well, I'm gonna go back to watching more episodes, and maybe I'll write about some of them. i've only got about 7 more to go! ha!
1 2 3 4 5 6