30 Rock

NBC (ended 2013)

SrRui

30 Rock Fan Reviews page 5 of 6

• Best "sitcom" since Arrested Development.

I don't really think this qualifies as a sitcom because its not filmed in front of a retarded studio audience that laughs at the unfunny stuff. With 30 Rock you can laugh at whatever you want and a couple weeks ago when Will Arnett was on got me hooked on this show. I wish he was a regular character because the interaction between him and Alec Baldwin was great. Here's the thing, I hated Tina Fey on SNL. I stopped watching when she was the head writer. Then I found out she wrote the sketch with Tim Meadows as the census taker with Christopher Walken, my favorite sketch ever! So I had to rethink my position on her. I haven't regretted it.
  • A smart humorous show which hopefully will have a second season.

What a great show, totally under appreciated. I've got a feeling that it won't last past the first season. I hope my gut is wrong on this one. I see in a lot of the reviews comparing this show with Arrested Development and I totally agree. And we all know what happened with that show. Smart comedies end up dying. Unless its bathroom pie in the face humor where dumb husband plays next to smart wife or single man hits the bars only to fall flat on his face trying to win over girl, smart shows like this one fall flat. All the characters are wonderfully written. Alec Baldwin is hilarious and witty. And every character compliments the other. I hope we see a second season. So start watching you apes and pull out a dictionary for the big words. Just kidding. You wouldn't own a dictionary.
  • People don't seem to get this show, but these are the same morons that didn't get Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, or The Tick.

God, I can only pray this doesn't end up in the great pantheon of amazing, off-beat, this-is-too-good-to-last shows that echo in the halls of internet memorials and forum tirades. The show is quick, a little self-referential, and always smart to point out the quirks of its own brand of delivery. Don't watch this for a standard, laugh-track induced, nauseating show about typical sitcom situations. Everybody Loves Raymond is still flogging that dead horse in repeats on TBS. Watch this show for tongue-in-cheek, winking at the camera, intelligent and goofy characterizations that really carry through. A classic.
  • i love it!!!

i think 30 rock is one of the best comedy it constantly got better and better with every week i like all the characters liz and her "date of the week" things always bizare and funny alec baldwin is very funny without even tryng i like tracy morgan too he is just completly crazy overall a very good show and i really hope it comes back for a second season
  • Tina Fey stars with a cast of characters that includes Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan etc. A witty comedy about the behind the scenes antics of the cast and crew of a television comedy.

I watched the NBC sneek peek of this show and fell in love with it! Wow, what a pleasant surprise. I'm usually so disapointed with tv comedies but this show really impressed me. I thought the actors were perfectly cast, Tina is terrific and was born to play this role. Her dry wit is the driving force that makes this show work. I wasn't sure what to expect from Alec Baldwin but so far he seems to be holding his own. Tracy Morgan has great chemistry with Tina and the scenes between the two of them really had some great comedic moments. It reminded me of the days when another great comedy was still around (arrested development). I think this show will do well. As far as comparing it to Studio 60-these shows are nothing alike. I enjoy both but this one goes all out for laughs.
    I highly recommend this one.
  • Finally in my opinion a show that is the worthy successor to Arrested Development Studio 60 + Arrested Development + better ratings= 30 Rock

Now I know many people reading this may be thinking...
    a) What is Arrested Development?
    b) Seriously? Nothing can ever replace the Hurwitz baby
    c) This show sucks, you suck and your review sucks.
    d) I wonder what's for dinner tonight?

30 Rock revolves around a comedy show that goes out live every week and the trials and tribulations of living, working and playing in such an environment.

I believe that where Arrested Development once loved my TV and me, it may be time to move on.

Don't get me wrong I bear the scars of love and loss that AD left in our hearts. Fondly remembered, harshly missed. But really, I'm very impressed at how well 30 Rock works, the acting is solid with some stellar performances from Tracy Morgan and Alec Baldwin. Kenneth the paige is a wild card, I just love how it all fits from the timing of jokes and lil bits all over the place to the bizzare stories Jordan tells. Self deprication of the series, breaking the 4th wall, running jokes (Dr Spaceman one of my faves), it really can walk the walk and talk the talk.

30 Rock remembers where its been and I'm sure knows where its going, never mind the comparisons to other series, its great in its own right, I only hope that NBC gives it the love and attention that AD never got from Fox.

Give it 2 episodes before making a decision about it, you need to get comfy first.
  • TV execs and the craziness they put up with!

It's not my fav show... I want to like it, I want to love it, but sometimes, it's off kilter I guess. The good is Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey and even Jane Krakowski. The bad.. Tracey..

He's funny, then not, then plain just iritating. I mean, in a not funny way.

But still, there is great potential for this show, if they get rid of that character, so I'll stay for now.

Cheers!
  • Funny show about a funny show.

Shows like this come along all too rarely. Laugh out loud comedy that’s as intelligent as it is, knowingly, stupid. Sitting on such a simple premise, a comedy show about making a comedy show, it could have easily fallen flat on its face. Tina Fey, however, has cannily built an impeccable cast around her to secure success. With Tracy Morgan, Judah Friedlander, Alec Baldwin (stealing each scene with confident ease), and Jane Krakowski et al breathing rich life into each character. The ensemble cast are given such clever and insightful material to work with; it allows them the luxury to explore the complete spectrum of comedy. From slapstick, prat-falls and razor sharp wit to the out and out surreal. Fey’s time as SNL head writer has obviously set her it good stead to give each character a wonderful, funny and unique voice. An incredible show that get funnier with every episode.
  • 30 Rock is a comedy about what happens behind the scenes of an NBC sketch show like SNL.

7.9
    Let me start off by saying, I like 30 Rock. It is a good hearted, funny show that keeps the viewers laughing and interested for 22 minutes each week, but like every show, it has its flaws. Some of the humor I found to be much too girly and cutesy. Some of the story lines were weak. I don't much care for Tina Fey's sense of humor, but it doesn't hurt the show. Tina Fey plays the creator and head writer of the sketch show. She plays an ugly, lonely woman. Tracey Morgan plays an obnoxious, obsessively lavish, rich comedian on the show, and balances out Fey nicely. There are also other writers and actors on the show who are all genuinely funny. Overall, 30 Rock is worth watching if your ready for just a good ol' comedy.
  • I think this show is great

This is now the best comedy on TV. It started a little slow but quickly it has become the quirkiest and quick wit show on TV. The timing between the characters is snappy and I think Aleck doing comedy is at his best (I've always felt that). I love how they use Rachel Dratch. I don't see her on the credits but they use her every week for a completely different and hilarious character. Keep up the great writing. My name is Earl was my favorite but I feel it has gone down this season, I sure hope 30 rock doesn't.
  • It is pretty funny, but I wanna see where it goes.

0 Rock is an American situation comedy that debuted on October 11, 2006. It airs Thursdays at 9:30pm ET on NBC in the United States, Sundays at 8:30pm ET on CTV in Canada, and Wednesdays at various times on Sony Entertainment Television in a half-dozen Latin American countries.[1]

The show was created by former Saturday Night Live (SNL) performer and head writer Tina Fey, who also stars in the show.

The show is a workplace comedy set in New York City's 30 Rockefeller Plaza; it follows the cast and crew of an SNL-like show-within-a-show called TGS.
  • At first I wasn't all that impressed with 30 Rock - but it's beginning to grow on me...

Well, my first thoughts when I heard of "30 Rock" were - "well, just another show within a show, yawn", and "So what if they got Tina Fey and Alec Baldwyn", etc.

However, when I was so busy criticizing the show, I forgot that sitcoms that were filled with funny people -- might actually be funny.
    And it's not only funny, it's hilarious! With Tracy Morgan acting crazy all the time, and a great crew of "writers" who are adding colors for the show, and of course Jack McBrayer that plays Kenneth, the NBC reception clerk like a true genious - this show is always unexpected, and mostly criticizing some debateful topics on today's television (such as product placement) - with minimal showing of the "show itself".

I think it's great. Worth tuning in!!
  • The 4th funniest show on TV.

Luckily for 30 Rock, the 4th funniest show currently on network television, it's lead-ins are the 1st-3rd funniest. (1.The Office 2.Scrubs 3.My Name Is Earl) If you're not catching this brilliant comedy from Tina Fey, you're missing a true gem. (And you may not have very much longer to catch it.) 30 Rock combines the understated, "you have to listen" comedy of Fey with the outlandish insanity of Morgan, and it does so in the person of Alec Baldwin. His character walks the line between the two and blends them perfectly.
  • A hilarious piece of art.

As I said it is a hilarious piece of art. Nobody can say that this show isn't funny. Tracy Morgan, Alec Baldwin, and Tina Fey = F U N N Y. It started good, went downhill, than came uphill again. Probably the worst thing to happen to a show is to be moved to Thursdays. That is what happens to shows that are about to be cancelled but it came back and will not be cancelled. This show will go on for years to come. My favorite character is Tracy Jordan. He is hilarious.
    Overall fantastic show. I give it 6 out of 5 stars.
  • 30 Rock is THE best new sitcom.

The show is racy, edgy, stupid and I love it. I thought from seeing the first episode pilot that this show is not probably gonna work, but this show is going to be huge. 30 Rock definitely has some "interesting" characters, but you know, interesting is one step up from creative. Its no wonder Alec Baldwin received an award for his work on 30 Rock. He deserves it, he's an awesome actor. Now, let's just see if we can work on getting everyone an award, even Keenan, the always happy secretary. This is going to be the next FRIENDS and an awesome NBC Thursday prime time addition
  • Very Smart in it's writing department...a lot of insider humor that I enjoy, acting is really good, Baldwin is exceptional, addition of Tracy Morgan may be too over-the-top, but he gives it more of an Arrested Development feel. My Fave sitcom this year.

This behind the scenes look at the production of an NBC sitcom ala Saturday Night Live with recurring characters is done very well, even down to the G.E. ownership influence and Alec Baldwin's ingenious turn as the unwanted company overseer. Tina Fey shows her comedic chops earned through years of performances on SNL along with her writing credit and it goes a long way in making this show feel right as it jumps the hurdles of a network produced sitcom. The only negative is the addition of Morgan brought in by Baldwin to save the program as the storyline of the first few shows open. Tracy Morgan's character is a tad overdone for the feel of this show as the rest of the cast are entirely believable and funny. I hope NBC renews it for a couple of years and allows it to find it's direction. 30 Rock has a different feel to it and may take a little while for the public to adjust. But then I loved the Larry Sanders Show too.
  • 30 Rock has proved that Tina Fey can write good comedy.

30 Rock is mainly about the making of a Sketch Comedy Show like "Saturday Night Live" called "The Girlie Show" [I would sugest changing the name though]. It star's Alec Baldwin, as well as SNL Alumni's Tina Fey and Tracey Morgan and they did a good job in the Pilot that I watched. I will keep watching the show.
  • It just takes the common personalities of stupid sitcoms and only uses those characteristics for the jokes

It just takes the common personalities of stupid sitcoms and only uses those characteristics for the jokes. Nothing unexpected happens. Do yourself a favor and don't watch this show. There are shows that were cancelled that are better than this. This show is for people with extremely low standards or just watch it because it's on and they don't feel like changing the channel.

I want to die when I watch this !!! 0/10..... I want to die when I watch this !!!
  • Perhaps the best comedy show on TV at the moment.

A trend in comedy on television has been the use of digital laughter tracks or even professional laughter audiences. Writers, directors and studio executives obviously believe the viewers are idiots who don't know when to laugh unless they're told to do so by a laughter track. To me, this just proves that the cast is not good enough or that the scrip is useless. There are some exceptions to this, but I genuinely believe shows like "How I met your mother" would have been a better without the importunating fake audience laughter on every punchline. 30 Rock is perhaps the best comedy show on TV at the moment. No embarrassing laughter track, but great dialogue, funny situations and a sharp cast. The show reminds me of Arrested Development and although it's not quite there yet, it certainly has the potential.
    I love this show. It is hilarious sometimes, Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan make this show. But sometimes this show can be boring and it really annoys me because with a cast like they have it should be funny all the time. If you like Tina fey, Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan then definately watch this show,but if you dont then i would advise you to stay away from it. The good thing is it is gonna be given a full season so it will have time to get better and maybe draw in a larger audience. If the show does not get better then it will not get a second season.
  • Tina Fey needs to be more creative...

6.4
    Ok, so this show is about a woman named Liz Lemon who is the head writer of a sketch comedy show called The Girly Show then changed to TGS with Tracy Jordan. Hmmm... Sounds like SNL but with different people. Get creative Tina Fey!!! To start off, Liz Lemon. Your real name is Elizabeth. Tracy Morgan is Tracy Jordan. Can't think of a name? This show brought me some laughs but I hate the lack of creativity on the whole story of the show. I do watch it and think it is funny but needs more work. Sorry I dissed the show but it's kinda true.
  • Well Tina Fey, I hope that SNL will take you back after 30 Rock is cancelled at the end of season 1. This show is just to mediocre to keep it's head up in the nasty world of sitcoms.

I was so excited, one of SNLs best writers and Weekend Update anchors (Tina Fey) got her 'own' sitcom. Plus old favorites like Rachel Dratch, Tracy Jordan and Alec Baldwin would be playing the big parts. This perfect combination couldn't go wrong right? Well, it did go wrong...

A sitcom is not a collection of one on one sketches, it is an interaction between all of its characters. 30 Rock uses the SNL sketch format too much, making it a show that never really lifts off. Also, the 'The Office' style of filming doesn't work here. It should be more in the style of NewsRadio, as should the acting be.

Characters aren't that good either. Tina Fey plays a neurotic writer, Tracy Jordan a foul-mouthed gangsta rapper, and Alec Baldwin a arrogant bussinesman. All roles we have seen them do over and over in, you guessed it, SNL. The only suprise is when Rachel Dratch makes one of her 'guest' appearances. But they are just to awkward to be funny.

All in all it's just a poor mans NewsRadio. If this show doesn't pick up soon it's bound to be cancelled at the end of season 1. So Tina Fey, get to work!
  • For all those Saturday Night Live lovers, this show is or you. The repore between Alec Baldwin, Tina Fay, and Tracy Morgan is great. It is an all-star cast with a great script.

Tina Fay was recently on the Howard Stern Show on Sirius Satellite and mentioned that the network only had 1 or 2 minor fixes to the script. The main fix was a decreased role of Jane Krakowski, who plays Jenna on the show. The change is good and Alec Baldwin is great in his role as the new network/department head. I have watched the show every night and moving it to Thusday nights is a great move by NBC to increase ratings. The 1/2 hour sitcom is fast paced and chock full of laughs. One of the recent episodes parodied product placement and it was great.

Jack McBrayer, as Kenneth, is the nerdy NBC receptionist who is aloof and has no common sense and no street smarts or life skills. All he aspires to be is the best receptionist for The Girlie Show.

I hope this show stays around for a while. 4 Stars.
  • Poor mans Studio 60

Mildly irrating, but mildly funny is the best way I would describe 30 rock.
    The show is too hit and miss and I think that is it's downfall.
    Tina Fey, Judah Friedlander and Jack McBrayer are the best parts of the show.
    Would I watch it if it was on? Yes
    Would I go out of my way to watch it? No.
  • This is the best new show, the BEST show on NBC. It makes me laugh and you have to try really hard to make me laugh. The cast is awsome, Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan are great togther.

This show goes by so fast, because its sooo awsome. I start watching it, laugh outloud because its SO great, and then its over. I'm like "that was fast." When that happens you know thats good T.V.

This is the best show on NBC, and the ONLY show on NBC I set my schedule around and watch EVERY wednesday {now every Thursday].

If NBC takes this show off the air. I dont know what I'll do. What it comes down to is that this show is great. Actually REALLY funny. Perfect cast. And great story plots. Thanks NBC FINALLY a good show. And congrats Tina Fey, you have the best show, in my opinion, on the network.
  • Tina Fey stars as Liz Lemon ,a workplace comedy that exists behind-the-scenes of a live variety show. The show features Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy, the brash new network executive who has turned the show upside down with his meddling ways.

3.4
    With all this wonderful cast I was very disappointed, it seems to be alot of nothing going on except for Alec Baldwin who seems to take pride in making every one look bad. I have attempted to watch it with my husband (who keeps telling me to turn it off) and have decided not to watch I cannot understand the humour
  • Surprisingly funny and entertaining.

I was a bit skeptical when I heard about this show. But I always respected Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live, so I figured I'd give it a chance. It's actually pretty damn funny and I'm totally shocked that Alec Baldwin isn't a bore. Has anyone noticed his face? I don't know if it's botox or age or what, but when he does that squishy thing w/ his eyes, it looks like his face is trying to eat itself. Anyway, Tracy Morgan's all right, but I'm not too sure how I really feel about him.

Bottom line, I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I hope it gets a second season. I actually prefer it to SNL, which never really recovered after 2000-ish.
  • This show is as hilarious as Saturday Night Live, so dont expect any laughs throughout the duration of this show.

1.9
    This show is so terrible that I would feel so guilty not telling the mainstream audience that read reviews before watching a show. NBC really upsets me. How they go from stellar shows such as Seinfeld and Fresh Prince Of Bel Air to shows such as this puzzles me. It wasnt really suprising that this show wouldnt be funny. The current SNL cast make guest appearances and reccuring roles which really dont help the show at all. The problem with this \"SNL mindset\" is that they expect humuor that entertaines third graders will work for adults such as myself, Im 16 so technically I am a young adult. Funny sitcoms require : originality, creativity and a cast with that \"it\" factor. The only thing that this show has going for it is being pathetic, so I guess thats (in some sort of way) what makes it funny..
  • I really want to love this show, and I don't.

Concept: a smart TV show about a smart TV show, full of quirky characters, headed up by Tina Fey (a smart TV show writer). Once they threw in Alec Baldwin, playing a network shark, I knew "30 Rock" was going to be one of my favorites before I tuned into the pilot episode.

Three episodes in, I'm underwhelmed. Sure, "30 Rock" is approximately 11ty times better than "According to Jim" but whatever hook drew me into loving "The New Adventures of Old Christine" and "How I Met Your Mother" last year (neither show I expected to even like), is MIA.

The good:

Alec Baldwin is brilliant. He manages to deliver a fresh turn on the classic "guy you love to hate". He's smart, he's funny, and he's an ass. A funny, fresh ass.

Jack McBrayer as Kenneth the Page. Like Baldwin, McBrayer brings freshness to the "wide-eyed country bumpkin in the big city" character. (Think Woody from Cheers, with McBrayer nearly as good in his start as Woody Harrelson was at his.)

The not-so-good or at least lukewarm:

Everybody and everything else. Fey, whom I adore from her SNL days, leaves me flat in most of her Liz Lemon moments. Jane Krakowski, as Jenna the show star and supposed best friend of Lemon, seems hopelessly out of place. I don't believe she's a sketch comedy star ... nor do I believe she's Lemon's best friend. The two show no chemistry.

Tracy Morgan as Tracy Jordon? I find his character and his performance quite painful.

"30 Rock" is still on my DVR list and I'll still continue to watch. Right now my reasons for sticking with it are Baldwin & McBrayer but maybe, with some time and fine tuning, the show might live up to its original potential.
  • it's probably harder to make a bad show with all of this talent than a good show. nonetheless, the overachievers at NBC have done just that.

let's see...
    tina fey is funny and a proven comedy writer, though SNL is not really a functional measuring stick for good writing. SNL actually thinks it's much funnier than it really is. kind of a gang mentality here. if a lot of people like "SNL", then it's good, from year to year to year. well , that's just not true. you can like SNL, but it would be a very difficult task to explain why it is good TV. it's rarely funny.
    anyway, back to 30 rock. alec baldwin, very funny, and always one of my personal favorites. his talent, perhaps arguably, should be considered as a given. and comedy suits him very well, though not in this particular show (our point rears it's ugly head).
    if anyone wants to debate the talent or even comedic skills of any other regular on the show, you'll have to do it without me. i got nothing from anyone else that even remotely resembles humour. annoying, yes. humour, no. i could go on, but really, this show isn't even worth it. sorry tina, we love you, but this ship has sunk and you should have seen it coming.
1 2 3 4 5 6