3rd Rock from the Sun

Just Your Average Dick (1)

Aired Unknown Apr 28, 1998 on NBC

• The Solomons try to become "like everyone else" and succeed better than anyone wanted them to. Ultimately, they realize that nothing is weirder than being completely normal.

This episode is one of my favorites from the entire series. It's so different to see them acting like "normal" people. This, of course, means that they try to fill every stereotype that they can. Sally buys only the best-selling products at the grocery store. Dick takes Mary to the #1 movie in America, and refuses to have any opinion about it. They all discover John Grisham novels. Harry and Tommy put together an entertainment center. Sally, who usually struggles to fit in, thrives here as a dictatorial member of the Tenants' Association. She makes sure that all of the rules are followed, down to the approved doormat colors. I guess one of the reasons I like this episode so much is because I don't understand the appeal of being "normal." The Solomons come to understand that they are who they are, and trying to pretend they're like everyone else makes them even more different. It's better to be genuinely weird than falsely normal. Aside from that, it's just funny. The dialogue is, at times, reminiscent of a 1950s commercial: "Who wants to do something completely crazy?...Let's go get some frozen yogurt! You won't believe it's fat-free!"