$40 a Day

Food Network (ended 2005)

$40 a Day Fan Reviews (16)

• Rachel Ray brings you along as she travels, and finds reasonably priced meals. Her goal is to have three meals, and maybe some snacks, for $40. Along the way, we learn about the food, the places, and the towns.

7.6
    I watch this show with my daughters, as a family thing we do. Rachel Ray is a very upbeat, pleasant face to watch, and even though we have yet to see her break the $40.00 tab, my oldest always roots for a first. She takes us on a journey through the town we are visiting first, telling us a bit about the ambience, and history. She usually asks a local where a nice place to have breakfast is, and we are off. Meal one almost always starts with a "cup of Joe", plain, no sugar, no cream. If there is a special board, we usually will skip the menu, and order the house deal. Once her order is placed, we go on back to the kitchen and watch it being prepared, as she narrates. Back at the table, the food arrives, and we are treated with a variety of "look at this", and random"mmmms". Not so descriptive, but we do get the point, she likes it. Fast forward to noon, and we are cruising the streets again, asking around for a "hot" lunch spot. Rachel might point out a few landmarks, if there are any, or find us a quiet park to eat in. Replay breakfast, and we have lunch, with the addition of totaling up the tab thus far, and hoping she has enough for a good dinner. The final stretch of the show might show us Rachel kicked up a notch, actually ordering a microbrew with dinner, bartenders choice. As usual, a sip, and then a "mmm", "thats a great local brew, and ya cant BEAT the price". Order up one house special, and we are on our way to nearing the end...and the final tally. A trip back to the kitchen, and we are at the table with rachel, as she describes the different textures of her meal, and the freshness of the local veggies that were used. I cant blame her though, without actually offering someone a bite off of your plate, it is hard to come up with ways to share you food descriptions. Here comes the bill, and the tensions are mounting, will she make it???, yes, she will, with .23 cents to spare. Is it just me, or is $40 a day spent on one petite little lady a bit much?