7 Days

UPN (ended 2001)

Gislef

7 Days Fan Reviews (42)

• 7 Days - great concept that was horribly executed. The 'great' reviews for this show must be based on childhood nostolgia rather than the merits of this show.

7 Days was horrible in uncountable ways.
    Cardboard characters with the lead male and female generating the sexual tension of Ma and Pa Kettle.
    Forgettable or even worse - irritating supporting characters.
    Cheap special effects - come on this show has a Sci-Fi premise.
    Even cheaper sets.
    Stories that jumped the shark so many times that I felt waterlogged.
    If you want good Sci-Fi there are plenty of better options. If you want good action, once again there are plenty of options.

• bad show...

The government is expiramenting with time travel and they can send one person seven days back whenever something goes wrong. The main character is Frank Parker and he is so annoying. I can't stand him. He's a bad character and he's a terrible actor. Another annoying character is the russian scientist lady (I's sorry, I forgot her name). She has a terrible russian accent and she is really annoying. The show story lines are ok. Most of them are terrbie, but I've seen a couple of good ones. Basically, the show sucks and has terrible actors, terrible characters, and terrible stories.
  • A Good Idea that never really caught on.

4.7
    The idea of the whole series was a good one but it never really broke any boarders.

The idea of going back in time was great but the way it was shown made a possable great show into the ground.

Its good as a show to relax with if you want a mild entertainment. But if you want something that gripping and action packed go look somewhere else.
  • Why take a great story line and toss in in the trash?

4.9
    This show had such great potential. It has a classic Sci-Fi story line and an endless supply of plots. How many ways can you find a reason to go back in time and change the course of history? Give this some really serious thought.

But the main character, Frank Parker, is pretty much a joke of a human being. This guy is pretty much a stupid clod until he "poof" backsteps into time. Then he's the consummate professional. So what is the deal here with this guy? How can anyone trust someone who's this susceptible to pleasures of the flesh one minute and then as cool as ice?

Not that I think that's WRONG but this is a serious subject matter and people need to think with a brain not a crotch.

Then when Parker backsteps and things fornicate up, he turns into a "poor baby boy" who needs to talk common sense with everyone. Olga turns into the concerned mother until mission accomplished. Then the show fades into spectacular nauseating garbage.

What a waste.
  • The show started off well but as the seasons went by it got more and more unorigional.

5.8

Yeah, I still watched it BUT doing the same thing again and again got well...bouring. Also the episodes got stupider and the operning titles (version 3) where terrable. You may call me nieve by judging a show by the operning titles but with some shows I tune in every week and look forward to listerning to the theme tune and the voice over!

This is the kind of show (well a lot of shows nowdays are) that needs and on-going storyline, more contact with the alliens perhaps or (as we've already established they can be hostil) a war.

But the show was cancelled before anything interesting could happen, although it was still a good show.

I'd still have loved to have seen more.
  • Loved the pilot and a few episodes in there.... condundrum....

This was a show that really should've just been a movie. The pilot was absolutely excellent and some of the episodes were quite good though. I remember feeling that it was ironic that this show was cancelled just before the 9/11 attacks.... not that the show was real, of course, but it seemed coincidental.....
  • It's not Star Trek but definitely entertaining.

alright, this show never had the best actors or CGI's. It was just a low-budget sci-fi show. Although Jonathan LaPaglia isn't the best actor in the world, I liked his character (Frank Parker) because he represented the show's motto: It didn't take itself too serious. (like most other Sci-Fi series.) I even remember when Frank made a joke saying something like "this isn't a low budget sci-fi show". I was never a big Sci-Fi fan but this one I liked.

Besides the great basic idea, I also liked the relationships between the characters. For example Parker and Olga, teasing each other all the time. Or Ramsey and Parker who despised each other.

To sum up: I think you won't find any other sci-fi show like this, including great plots about time traveling but also being fun.
  • Shouldn't we be facing a Frank Parker glut as elder Franks arrive to fix problems and hang around with juniors who have no need to go back and fix any problems?

I'm pretty finicky about my time travel. If you don't "get it right", I snark, and snark hard.

Our review from Timelinks (see me profile):

Frank Parker travels back in time, and phones in to the Project: "This is Conundrum". You got that right. He should be at the office every time he calls in, but no, he's just not there. Shouldn't we be facing a Frank Parker glut as elder Franks arrive to fix problems and hang around with juniors who have no need to go back and fix any problems?

Dave Fooden's theory: Every time Frank phones in, the Project offs the Frank at the base. Must be a meadow somewhere stuffed with bodies of extra Franks...
  • Time travel concept is the best ever! And correct...

6.2
    How many TV shows and movies get it wrong all the time except this show. Going back in time does not multiply matter. Of course the chrononaut's past is the future he came from so how could he possibly meet his past self? This makes going back in time and killing your grandpa sound stupid. Even if you did so you'd still exist because you were born in a different timeline where your grandpa is alive.

But the show itself is completely dumb, weird, stupid, and boring. In the first episode Frank Parker obviously is pretending to be crazy when he is in a mental hospital. At best the show seemed to be fun for about first 7 episodes until it went downhill. There is so many episodes where they would have good concepts but build a ridiculously boring storyline around it, making the episode seem to last 7 Days, accompanied by boring music and uninteresting storyline. Most of second season storylines are terrible. In third season they threw in some good episodes but it mostly seems to bounce between mildly good and terrible. Somebody should've gone back 7 days and stopped the show from airing. Here are some boring episodes that are a drag to watch:

Shadow Play
    Walter
    Pinball Wizard
    Parker.com
    For the Children
    Walk Away (Ballard is weird)
    Sister's Keeper
    The Collector (A terrible profile for a killer)
    Love and Other Disasters
    The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
    Buried Alive (most boring ep. ever)
    The Backstepper's Apprentice
    Space Station Down
    The Cuban Missile
    Witch Way to the Prom (just weird)
    Mr. Donovan's Neighborhood
    Playmates and Presidents
    Rhino
    The Fire Last Time
    Head Case
    Raven
    The First Freshman
    Sugar Mountain
    Live: From Death Row (Why did they even bother with this one?)"
  • The US keeps a found time travel device and operates it from a ramshakle division of the military. Its mission: to avert disaster by altering the time line. The catch: the device can only go 7 days into the past.

7 Days is definitely lowbrow sci-fi; I don't contest that. It IS, however, a very interesting show. It is a rare series that is able to set up its mythology and continually twist it every episode. They were always changing what the future is. What could be done about the time line. How to change the time line. What the device could do. What other devices could do.

It is also interesting to note that this series is rare in that it dealt with the notion that navigating time was a difficult task. Every other incarnation of a time machine in sci-fi stated that it was difficult to make, but here it is - let's go!

I wish I could have seen more of it to give a better evaluation, but my local station dropped it very early.
  • Yeah ok show but kinda weird.

This show is a good show but it has some things that made it kinda suck. When I fist saw this show I thought "Wow this is new, fun, and different." But then I started watching it for awhile and it started to go downhill for me. It seemed like it was the same story show after show after show after show. Now yeah there was some different episodes but it still was the same story most of the time. This does start to get boring but yes the show was fun and different then most shows but the stories started to seem the same. I really don't recommend this show to most people only if you are kinda into sci-fi. I hoped I helped you out about this show.
  • Great idea. That lasted 3 seasons. Shame that the lead actors didn't get along.

6.6
    Great idea. That lasted 3 seasons. Shame that the lead actors didn\'t get along. At the time the show came out there was a glut of good science fiction show. So for the most part over looked. It is time for a second or third look. I for one am looking again and enjoying it.
  • A man can go back in time seven days. Hmmm......

A nice try, It was a good idea. A man goes back in time to stop disaters from happening. Only problem is the guy who does the job has problems of his own. The actors were decent, and had some good storylines. Interesting, but it just didn't have a clincher that really gabbed an audience.
  • This was a classic time travel show that really hit the button when it comes to creating alternate timelines, dealing with the consequences, and the psychological effects it has on one individual.

The only downfall was the alien fuel and alien episodes that seem to draw away from the purpose of the show. The best episode (episode #44, The Cure) had to be the one with the time traveler from 168 years in future, who backstepped to stop a vaccine that cured cancer and ended up destroying a majority of the world's population. It was amazing, and the most chilling part was how if the backstepper had just allowed his anti-bodies to be used he could have helped create a cancer-free non deadly future.
  • Interesting concept and screenplay but dodgy SF.

7.4
    The series plays out pretty well, it's very entertaining and it has it's share of romance and comedy, sarcasm and irony. The characters are a bit cliche but Parker allways seems to surprise me even thou i thought i had him nailed. If you get past the first few episodes, which are a bit out there, what comes after is fairly good. The only problem with the show comes from my end i think. I like to critique any SF shows based on the tech it shows, and i have to say, this was kind of hard to swallow. Bare with me here; first problem whould come from the fact of the 7 day time travel. I mean, if they are allways backstepping and altering the timeline, it means that in the main timeline that the show tells, the sphere was never used. I mean, they only get to see Parker come back, evreytime they use the sphere, they lose all memory of it, not to mention not use up any fuel, unlike sayed by Ballard in 1x14. So how can he make modifications without him actually knowing what's been done since they never actually did the Back Step, not to mention saying that they still use fuel. Also, how do they get the sphere back and fix it evreytime, since most of the backsteps end up nasty, or does it exist in their hangar aswell. If so, then we'd need to have two Franks aswell. Not to mention if the radius of the "miscalculation" of the target is 200 to 1000 miles like Parker states in one episode, why dosent the sphere materialize in the ground, or in the air? Also, if he can go back only 7 days, why dosent he just re-"go back" another 7 days if he needs more time? These issues might not be much to people that watch the show for enjoyment, but for hardcore SF fans that know each bit of the Enterprise's systems, the deck setup on the Galactica and the mechanics behind the Stargate, like i said, this show is hard to swallow.
  • Great sci-fi...

Good little series, with interesting stories. Very cheesy at times but thoroughly enjoyable.
  • Good.

I actually thought this was a pretty decent show when it was still on the air. I liked the premise and the storylines, as well as the writing. The thing that I have to say I couldn't understand was the continuation effects of going back in time. But other than that, I think that it had some good writing and some decent acting. I never had a favorite episode or a favorite character as I thought that it meshed pretty well as a group. It was entertaining to see all the events that took place and then to see the person jump back in time. Thank you.
  • 7 Days was a truly interesting idea that many people just didn't get.

Who hasn't thought of traveling back in time? Wishing you could do something over again.
    7 Days was a truly interesting idea that many people just didn't get. Using alien technology that was being covered up by the government in the case of an emergency, a person could go backward in time 7 Days.

7 Days has an interesting concept, just don't try to understand all the scientific mumbo-jumbo that they talk about occasionally, as you wont understand it... but it is definitely a show to give a shot.
  • First series is Sci-fi at it's absoulte best

The first series is sci-fi at it's absoulte best. It was also pretty damn funny. The hero is not your normal guy: he's a messed up alcholic. But every single episode was wow. When the events of 9/11 transpired I was thinking about the pilot episode and how similar these events were. I don't think the show could have run on without confronting the issue so it's just as well it ended when it did. IIRC it got canned due to Buffy being brought.

The second and third series' aren't too good. Just good solid entertainment. Very funny at times too. But it holds nothing on the first series. Still I've watched them all and still have around 8-9 eps to go of Series 3.
  • 7 Days. Great Idea Bad Execution

I rated this show 8.5. I really had to fight with myself on this, not because I really liked the show, cause I didn’t. I had to fight with myself cause I watched it for the pure Science Fiction aspect of it. To tell ya, if I had to deal with one more Chemical attack on the US I was going to scream.

The concept of 7 Days was excellent. A great sci-fi angle to time travel. It was smart, well thought thru and well conceived. But the story lines that made up each episode was tedious, predictable and down right, at times, dumb. Not only did the episodes lack some sort of originality but they on the most part was so simple, they could have been ended the episode by the mid-hour break, instead of dragging on for 20 more minutes.

This show had so much great potential that it actually started well and then just…fizzled by mid-second season. Then flat out died by the third. It was a disappointment to see it so terribly managed. The concept was terrific…the production great….the stories were bad.
  • Just love it!

Couldn't help myself. Sat down with a friends VHS-tape. Saw the first five episodes from him. Went to the store. Bought the rest, then I watched every single episode within the following week.

Maybe not the best show in the world, but has a higher exciting episodes over bad episodes rating than most of the shows in TV.

Simple thing to say, is that it's breathtaking, smart, and sometimes also silly (but in a good way), it's exciting, it has good characters, especially Frank B Parker and all the scenarios are happening today, not in a "near future", but today! Witch make it closer to reality than many other SciFi/Adventures.

Said it earlier, say it again. Just love it. Bring it back.
  • 7 Days was one of my favorite shows when it first aired, but I lost touch with it as it went into its last season, and things on the show kinda broke apart leading to its upsetting downfall.

I am now able to rewatch it on Spike.tv and I can relive the great times. The show was fun 4 years ago, and its still fun today. Like most people, I was disappointed with the finale, but its a common trend for good shows to end badly on UPN, (Roswell, Buffy). Either way, this show achieved its purpose in my eyes. A bit of sci fi/action/comedy was the right mix for me and I like the show. Frank is a great character, and the concept was very good.
  • Govt agent Parker, can travel 7 days back in time in order to change events gone wrong. Sci-fi action thriller

This was one of my favorite shows, and I was thrilled to see re-runs on TV earlier this year. With a somewhat original story and plot, and episodes that kind of carry on from one another, this was a great sci-fi action show that didnt seem too cheesy or unrealistic ha.
  • This is not technically a review more a reply to MrQuackers review, in which he claims the SF is dodgy. However over the course of the show these flaws are given explainations.

"So how can he make modifications without him actually knowing what's been done since they never actually did the Back Step"
    Whilst they may not ever have physically activated the machine the sphere itself does go back in time. Any modifications Ballard makes would either take longer than several days to implement (ie Ballard would know what he was planning to do) or Frank could be told/the data stored on the chip Frank takes back in time, and would be able to see from the sphere whether the modification was successful or not. For instance in one episode Ballard makes a modification and several days later this causes Frank to split into good and evil parts. Ballard then undoes the modification as clearly it was not a good thing. "not to mention saying that they still use fuel"
    It was hinted at that the fuel exist outside of time as we know it therefore although time goes back the fuel does not.

"Also, how do they get the sphere back and fix it every time, since most of the backsteps end up nasty, or does it exist in their hangar as well. If so, then we'd need to have two Franks aswell."
    No like you say Frank and the Sphere disappear at the moment that future Frank arrives (as an aside this is why Frank is confined to the base it wouldn't do to have Frank just randomly disappearing from the middle of a street). However whenever Frank checks in he says where the Sphere is and Bradley replies with something along the lines of we'll send a retrieval team. Admittedly it might have been nice to have seen this, but meh. Fixing it is easy just look at what's broken and fix it like any mechanic does.

"Not to mention if the radius of the "miscalculation" of the target is 200 to 1000 miles like Parker states in one episode, why doesn't the sphere materialize in the ground, or in the air?" It does in one episode it materialises underground, in another it accidentally slices through an aeroplane in the process of going back in time. "Also, if he can go back only 7 days, why doesn't he just re-"go back" another 7 days if he needs more time?" It was stated at least twice that the fuel source needs time between jumps to regenerate. Whilst this might seem to contradict with the fuel being physically used up as well, think of it as they have a limited amount of fuel each time they use it decreases and what remains deactivates, and then slowly reactivates. They can go back, wait seven days then go back again (as they do at least twice) but they can't leapfrog back seven days then another seven. I used to wonder about these thinks as well (especially the leap frog time travel) but then recently I watched them all and gained the above insight. Hope this helps. Andrew
  • Great show with a couple of flaws

The show itself is great. Concept is very good: an alcoholic "psycho" stuffed in a space suit and travelling back in time in a big blue ball... Shame they forgot to work on a few side effects... what about agimng? what happensnto the rest of the teamwhen parker goes back... will the eventthat he is going to undo still occur in the old timeline...? For example: when parker went back to undo the event where the alien penetrated the nuclear reactor (back in season 1), did the event still eradicate the US...?
  • If you love time travel shows without having to use your brain. This is the show for you! Go back in time 7 Days to save something or someone or prevent something. Likeable characters and dialogue.

The scenarios were simple and left little to thought and much to the imagination. the premise was understood. Each week Lapaglia would travel back 7 days to save something or someone or prevent something from happening. It was enjoyable to watch and gave Lapaglia somewhat of a superhero status. But what of his partner Capt.Donovan.? His role was often unclear and he was seldom used in time travel. Dr. Sam Whipple was a strange character and played into the episodes nicely. All in all this was an enjoyable show. One that I would like to see put out on DVD, and was sorry to see go.
  • Frank Parker could use alien technology to travel in time. A very interesting concept!

I personally liked this show. A very good idea, and a perfect casting ensamble. The cast was everything that a show needs. The good-looking guy, and the good-looking girl. The genuis guy. The psycho, etc. I heard that there were a lot of back-lot tension between LaPagglia and Vail, but I really liked their on-scrfeen chemistry.
  • Nice, could have been better though.

What to say about this show. First, it's a great concept. I always enjoy time-traveling shows/movies. Second, it's a great action show and that's probably what makes it good. The flaw is that sometimes it gets old and annoying. For instance the fact that they have to wait 7 days until they can fix a problem. Jeez, how many times to they have to say it "its been a week since [fill with disaster] so its time to backstep" As for the actors, i think that they are good and fits with their characters perfectly. Despite some of the annoying flaws, its a good show.
  • Great Show! Victim of our changing times.

As I recall, this show ended in 2001, soon after the disaster of 9/11. In my view, the writers may have taken that opportunity to cancel the show due to world events. How would the writers handle a situation like 9/11 in the show? Do they ignore it? Do they attempt a back step and show a means to prevent the tragedy? If so, how could that have been done in a tasteful manner as to not offend the thousands of Americans killed on that day?

I don't know anything about the actors getting along or not getting along, or about the ratings of the show at that time, but if there were problems on the set, the time seemed perfect to end the show with some 'dignity'.
  • Great take on time travel

I loved Frank Parker. He had such charm. The show was great how the time machine would only send a person back seven days. Everyone of the cast seemed to work great together. Frank loved Olga who would always play hard to get. He wsa best friends with Donovan. Plus his emeny was Ramsey who was the head security guy. Frank would always get into trouble and have to squirm his way out. Plus he would always have to go back in time and fix the what ever devastated the world. I loved the episode where he became the pope. That was to much fun to watch.
< 1 2