77 Sunset Strip Forums

ABC (ended 1964)

77 Sunset Strip

tvking1

[1]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 42
    Does anybody know if this show has been released on DVD or if there any plans for it? It is one of the most successful private eye series ever, setting the standard for many such shows to follow, so one would think there would be sufficient demand for it. It spawned off a few clones, the most successful of which was Hawaiian Eye, and probably inspired many others. Efrem Zimbalist Jr. was great, as he was in The F.B.I., though his character in the latter series was more serious, strictly no-nonsense. Stuart Bailey was someone every red-blooded American would have wanted to be like, and was an excellent role model.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GeorgeFergus

[2]Dec 14, 2009
    • level: 59
    No, 77 Sunset Strip has not been released on DVD and Warner Bros. has announced no plans to do so. Warner had a dozen signature private eye and western TV shows in the 1950s and 60s, many of them quite successful at the time, but only two of them (3 episodes of Maverick and 15 episodes of Cheyenne) have been released on DVD. It is like they have disavowed all knowledge of this era of their TV past.

bf5113

[3]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 4

From what I recall, the show (or at least the first few seasons) were in black and white. Studios believe no one would want to buy a copy of a movie or TV show that's in black and white. I guess if they decided it was cost effective to colorize the episodes, then they would issue a DVD set.

tvking1

[4]Jul 24, 2010
    • level: 42

Thyere have been many successful releases of B&W series, so I can't imagine why the studio would think that.

Edited on 07/24/2010 8:19pm
    Edited 2 total times.

steveinsider

[5]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 1

I found a public domain site that has 20 episodes of the show. If you are interested let me know.