7th Heaven

Can I Just Get Something to Eat?

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 14, 2007 on The CW

• Attention, class! Today’s vocabulary words will be: Darfur, office, donuts, and desk.

Every season, “7th Heaven” does an episode dedicated to drawing attention to some common cause. This time around, the focus was Darfur and genocide. I know the situation in this country is BEYOND heinous and their issues are important, but this episode itself was not good.

For some insane reason, writers Chris and Jeff Olsen thought the only way to get the Darfur message across was to Incessantly (and that’s “incessantly” with a capital “I”) repeat the word “Darfur” over and over and over, AGAIN. It was mentioned 41 times, and could be seen in print 2 times throughout the entire episode– and, the show is only 44 minutes long (minus commercial time), for crying out loud!

To emphasize points in the subplots (if you can call them “plots”–- nothing happened to any of the characters that was the least bit interesting) it was vocabulary lesson time, AGAIN: the word “office” was said 16 times; the word “donuts” was said 30 times; and the word “desk” was said a grand total of 36 times (11 of which were said by Lucy, alone!) And, how bored was I that I was reduced to counting words during this program?!?

I found the word repetition to be not only ridiculous, but insulting. The plight of these African people could have been better addressed, if say, maybe, we had heard the reactions of Ruthie and T-Bone’s classmates to the Darfur assignment they had presented, or, if viewers could have listened to Lucy discussing what she and her teen group were going to do throughout the year to help, or if we had found out what Eric and Annie’s personal plan was to assist this country. Instead, the episode was preachy and boring. It was only created to talk AT us about Darfur.

As the program ended, I expected to see a website, a phone number, or something– ANYTHING, that would lead us to more information on this important subject, but "7th Heaven" failed us here, too. I felt I was only being reminded to "worrry" about Darfur, instead of being encouraged to do something constructive about it. Sadly, when "7th Heaven" could have been a vehicle to deliver such an important message, it just didn't hold my interest. "Count" this as one of my least favorite episodes ever. It doesn't come highly recommened.