7th Heaven

Don't Ax, Don't Tell

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 22, 2006 on The CW

• It was better than the episode before it.

Lucy and Kevin try to figure out what Eric is hiding. Eric decides to homeschool the boys and he buys them hamsters. Sam names his Mom and David names his Jesus. Eric talks to Ms. Margo for the last time. Kevin goes to Stanley to figure out what happened the day that Eric was at the hospital. The doctor won't reveal to Kevin what happened.

This was a good episode. I thought the "Ax" versus "Ask" thing was kind of dumb. I wish Annie were there or at least on the phone. This was an okay episode and it gets an 8.0 out of 10!
  • Too much dialogue! For some reason, there just wasn't enough going on in this episode to make it exciting.

It reminds me of Signs...how it is nearly shot all in one house (or in this case 2 houses). There seemed to be an absolute ton of dialogue that began to grate after a while. The Lucy-Kevin conversations sometimes give me a chuckle, but in this case they didn't. For some reason I found this episode rather boring and lacking of substance. I've been homeschooled nearly all my life, so I was waiting for them to say something negative about it, but to my surprise, they didn't really do that. I did like how Sam and David thought that homeschooling was illegal. ^.^ For the most part though, I found myself yawning through the episode and perhaps regretting that I stayed over at my friend's house so late to watch it. If it had been a better episode, it would have been worth it. This is the first one I've seen of the new season on cw and I've come to the conclusion that I may give it another chance...but then I might not.
  • Back to the Basics - Lucy at her best

This is a great example of 7th Heaven in its prime. Reverend Camden decides to home school the children after he can't get them moved out of the teacher's class and Lucy knows something is up. Lucy spends the entire day snooping through the house looking for clues as to why her Dad is so out of sorts. Expensive shampoo - no one in the Camden house uses expensive shampoo, opps, except her b/c she has problem hair. This is exactly why I watched 7th Heaven - the nutty Camdens jumping to conclusions, spying on each other, getting up in arms about things they know nothing about, and dragging each other into the mix. I loved Kevin and Lucy in this one. Kevin dropped some of the sanctimonious, condenscending crap he always pulls and actually became a "Camden" - neurotic and nosy! Now we just need some other good characters back and we will be in business. The twins just won't do it - I don't want to be mean but they are really annoying. This may be tough b/c they are hit and miss on recurring roles - For instance I loved when Robbie was on the show but hated almost all the Chandler and that blonde police partner of Kevin episodes.
  • While Annie is away, Eric secretly homeschools the twins, which rouses suspicion in Lucy, who is determined to find out what Eric is hiding.

This episode is filled with secrets, conclusion-jumping, and a running dialogue of the misuse of the word "ax" (which seemed more pointless, than funny). Overly-obvious insights from unexpected sources remind us, again, that Eric has a health problem-- tell us about it, already!!! While Annie is away visiting Mary and her family, Eric decides to secretly homeschool the twins in order to avoid their flirty teacher, Ms. Margo (Rachel Boston). Lucy is determined to find out what Eric is hiding, even though Kevin protests her getting involved. Their converstion over whether or not she should investigate is repetitive and exhausting ("back and forth filler"), much like some of the other conversations in this episode, unfortunately. Fortunately, writer Brenda Hampton finally gives the twins some decent lines! You'll laugh out loud when you hear why one of them names his new hamster Jesus! She delivers a classic Lucy to us when Lucy is able to put "special, man shampoo" together with a couple of hamsters to conclude that Eric is having an affair with the boys' teacher.

Kevin decides to get in on the investigation after he sees Ms. Margo calling on Eric.

Kudos to Stephen Collins for his fine performance as Eric internalizes his emotions one minute, and lets them go (even to the point of being livid) the next. A very poignant scene shared with the twins will have you reaching for the tissues.

Eric finally admits to Kevin that Ms. Margo won't take no for an answer, so he is secretly homeschooling the boys. Lucy buys his explanation, but Kevin thinks there's more to the story. He searches out Stanley Sunday (Keith David), a peculiar, but likeable character, for some answers. Stanley drives a hard bargain when it comes to doling out the information-- stay tuned for a very funny return home for Kevin!

The investigation of Eric's secret goes on right up until the last minutes of the program. The ending is more like a to-be-continued, than a conclusion.
  • Eric explains to the twins that they need to keep homeschooling a secret and he buys them hamsters. Lucy and Kevin think something suspicious is going on with Eric Camedon and they snoop around the house to find out.

This is a great show. Everything was so exciting. It wasn\\\'t boring. I just can\\\'t wait until what happens next. In the 11th Season it got better. In the 10th season it was all about Simon and Rose, and Sandy and Martin. In the 11th Season there is a variety of things going on just like the seasons 1 through 9. My favorite part is when Eric Camedon is trying to explain to the twins thathomeschooling isn\\\'t illegal. It is also funny when Kevin goes to talk to the homeless guy and falls for his tricks. It\\\'s funny because befpre he was a cop until Savannah was born.
  • 7th Heaven in its glory!

Wow!! This is such a funny and yet heartbreaking episode to watch. Eric's secret about his heart comes to a boiling point, internally he is definitely not doing well, and it shows incredibly well, Stephen Collins did a great job handling this storyline with such ease. It was painful to watch, his emotions,and yet he seemed so calm when he was talking back to Ms. Margo.Then the scene when Sam and David told him he is the best Dad ever, and he started crying, I am thinking he is contemplating that he is scared of dying, it made me go all weepy. How Lucy put shampoo and hamsters together to conclude her father must be having an affair, is beyond me, but it makes for good humor. The whole "Ax" "Ask" thing was a little corny, but cute, all in all, this was Brenda Hampton's writing at its best. Some great one liners- about being scared,and feelings, "Why don't you choose to let your head lead where your heart will follow"-Eric (SC). Very insightful. A great lead in for the episodes to come, its so very interesting to see Eric trying to keep doing what he wants, while at the same time struggling to not let go of his family, although he must.Only time will tell what will happen next. Oh, the suspense!
  • Simply Outstanding

This episode was one of the best in recent memory.
    Eric's internalization of his concerns for what will happen to his family when/if he dies came to the surface in so many ways and he still managed to talk with that awful woman in a civilized manner. Stephen Collins did a wonderful job with the challenge presented to him tonight.
    In turn, Brenda Hampton did an incredible job writing the dialogue for this episode and foreshadowing future episodes. Eric is trying to hang on to his duties while knowing he will have to let go of and leave those he cares for the most. Great writing tonight.
  • Oh the suspense!

I'm a sucker for the Rev. When he cries, I can't help but cry myself. Today, we find out that he has chosen to homeschool Sam and David, but there is, of course, a health issue going on. Again, the writers choose to extend the suspense.

Despite his mood swings, Eric is still a wise man and a loving father. Again, he sticks up for himself against Miss Margo and makes it clear that nothing will happen between them. I'd assume she's out of the picture now.

Next week, looks like the house will be busy again. Hopefully it picks up.